The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Wonderful news. That is quite the achievement.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

How absolutely wonderful for William, it's gonna be exciting to see if that has an effect on his choice to stay or leave the Search and Rescue in order to carry out more official engagements.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Majesty

Well done, Your Highness! This is quite an achievement.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince William Qualifies As Search And Rescue Captain In Royal Air Force
Old 06-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Majesty

This is hardly a surprise - the surprise would have been if he had failed to earn the promotion at the appropriate point as that would indicate that he wasn't up to the job of leading.

He has done the necessary time at the lower ranks and he has completed the necessary training e.g. the time in the Falklands.

This should have no impact on his decision to stay for another term or leave. The bigger factor in that decision has to be the needs of the royal family to have him working on their behalf rather than hiding away in Wales.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Soo I said I'd stay away ya ya I know I have issues anyways interesting read
Airman Prince William could become part-time helicopter instructor - Telegraph
Old 08-12-2012, 03:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554
Soo I said I'd stay away ya ya I know I have issues anyways interesting read
Airman Prince William could become part-time helicopter instructor - Telegraph
Interesting. I think if this were to happen, it would be the best option. William could have the best of both worlds. It's obvious that he enjoys serving as a search-and-rescue pilot, and doesn't care too much for giving it up, but if he gets to instruct, he can still do what he loves, just in a different capacity. Having a more flexible schedule will be great for doing more royal duties. I sincerely hope this turns out how he wants.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:58 AM
Heir Apparent

This story has hit the Danish news today, sorry if you already have covered the story.

Prins William redder nødstedt teenage-pige - Royale | www.bt.dk

The tabloid BT quotes the Telegraph for writing that Prince William was the pilot on a helicopter that rescued a sixteen years old girl a few days ago.

The girl had been trying to save her younger, thirteen year old sister, when she got in serious trouble herself.

The older girl was rescued by the helicopter crew, she suffered from bruises, she had swallowed some water and she was in shock.
It was a close call!
Her younger sister managed to reach the shore.

- I think the crews on these helicopters do a tremendous job - in all countries.
That William is one among many professional pilot and one among a crew, does not detract anything from him in my eyes.
He took a very active part in saving a life, that's more than most people do during their entire lives.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:37 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It's been discussed in Williams current events thread. I'm surprised it travelled over to Denmark.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm constantly grateful that there are so many people, in the armed forces and emergency services, who are willing to put their own lives at risk to try and ensure the safety of complete strangers. What would we do without them?

In William's case, he could have chosen to spend his time in the armed forces sitting behind a desk at the MOD. The fact that he hasn't speaks well of his character and of his potential as a future sovereign and head of the armed services.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It's been discussed in Williams current events thread. I'm surprised it travelled over to Denmark.
It made CNN news yesterday too. Hubby saw it and said "what's the big deal? Its what people do for a living in that field. I've rescued people and didn't even make the local paper."
Old 08-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It made CNN news yesterday too. Hubby saw it and said "what's the big deal? Its what people do for a living in that field. I've rescued people and didn't even make the local paper."
Well done Prince William!

The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, . . . .
Old 08-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danishla View Post
Well done Prince William!
Don't get me wrong here... I most definitely do admire William in his choice of profession as he truly is serving the people of his country and I've read how much he really loves what he does. I just don't think its breaking international news.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Courtier

It is only news because he is a Prince and 2nd in line to the Throne. How many people in that position are serving in such a dangerous job.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR
I'm constantly grateful that there are so many people, in the armed forces and emergency services, who are willing to put their own lives at risk to try and ensure the safety of complete strangers. What would we do without them?

In William's case, he could have chosen to spend his time in the armed forces sitting behind a desk at the MOD. The fact that he hasn't speaks well of his character and of his potential as a future sovereign and head of the armed services.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. Those men and women that put their lives on the line to help others are heroes and deserve all the praise and credit. Williams's choice to be in this branch says a great deal about his attitude in regards to making a difference and helping others; he wants to be actively involved, not just sit on the sidelines. He will make a great Prince of Wales and monarch when his time comes.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Its not William that made this a news story, it is the press that decides that but it does raise the profile of those who perform the same job around the country which has to be a good thing in an era of cut backs and privatization.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine
Its not William that made this a news story, it is the press that decides that but it does raise the profile of those who perform the same job around the country which has to be a good thing in an era of cut backs and privatization.
It's also been a pretty "slow" news week, though there are plenty of things that the media should be talking about...
Old 08-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Don't get me wrong here... I most definitely do admire William in his choice of profession as he truly is serving the people of his country and I've read how much he really loves what he does. I just don't think its breaking international news.
It never was "breaking international news". It was reported with the same urgency as other celebrity news; David Cameron's wife Samantha looking good in a bikini on their vacation, Colin Firth attending a red carpet event....
Old 08-20-2012, 03:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
It never was "breaking international news". It was reported with the same urgency as other celebrity news; David Cameron's wife Samantha looking good in a bikini on their vacation, Colin Firth attending a red carpet event....
On our satellite service, you can switch to a CNN service that lists blips of things happening around the world. William's blip was in with the major world headlines of the day with happenings in Syria and Assange (or however you spell it) seeking to go to Ecuador. Come to think of it, so was the news that the DoE had been admitted to the hospital again. As my internet was on the fritz for a few days last week, I did get some of the BRF news and the withdrawal wasn't so bad. .

I think its becoming obvious that William is being followed more and more as a world figure and it won't be too far off in the future that he is going to need to step up his royal duties. A year ago or so I would have put my money on William doing another 3 years of service if he could possibly do it (without SAR being privatized) but over this past year, there's been so many reasons that point to him taking up full time royal duties in 2013.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Courtier

Prince William will stay in Armed Forces to raise child out of royal spotlight - Telegraph