The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-01-2011, 02:17 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
As the eldest son of the PoW, William has a label of three points on his coat of arms, whereas Harry gets five as the grandchild of the monarch in the male line. When Charles is King, Harry will get three as the son of the monarch and then will continue to have three for the rest of his life.
Thanks for that fact. I knew about children of The Sovereign (along with the eldest Son of The Prince of Wales) getting three points while Male line Grandchildren get five, but I was under the impression that Henry would have five for life, having been given his arms whilst a Male line Grandchild, and not become The Duke of Cornwall, The Prince of Wales, or The Sovereign. It makes sense, though, that he will aquire three when Charles becomes King.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:34 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
The Cambridges . I like that!

I still can't refer to them as Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Will and Kate was so much more easy to type ! The only thing now is that I used "Catherine" here in the forum, but Duchess will be a while to get used to!
Glad you like The Camebridges.

It's not the name I will always use for them, though. I'll alternate. I'm too fussy to use Will and Kate myself but it's still fine.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

William wants his wife to be known as "Princess Catherine".

'Although the Prince's spokesman said he was "honoured" to become the Duke of Cambridge, he had let it be known that he would prefer to remain Prince William and for his wife to become "Princess Catherine''.'

Royal wedding: new bride Kate Middleton takes her place in the Royal hierarchy - Telegraph
Old 05-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar

'Although the Prince's spokesman said he was "honoured" to become the Duke of Cambridge, he had let it be known that he would prefer to remain Prince William and for his wife to become "Princess Catherine''.'

Royal wedding: new bride Kate Middleton takes her place in the Royal hierarchy - Telegraph
Well,well,well..... These are quotes? So the public is encouraged to call her Princesd Catherine? Interesting.....ok, then let's all agree if someone posts about her and calls her Princess Catherine we don't need correction posts.....?

Is this official we can call her Princess Catherine if we desire?
Old 05-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

While I applaud William for wanting his wife to carry an equal title to his own, Catherine's title is completely at the discretion of the Queen, and the Queen saw fit not to make her a princess in her own right. Maybe Charles once he's king would do that, I don't know.

I do like the fact that William and Catherine are making small strides to modernize the monarchy, little by little. An institution as well-known as the BRF can't change overnight.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Well,well,well..... These are quotes? So the public is encouraged to call her Princesd Catherine? Interesting.....ok, then let's all agree if someone posts about her and calls her Princess Catherine we don't need correction posts.....?

No, it's not official. There's no direct quotes from William anywhere, just a remark by his "offical spokesman". I don't believe anything unless it comes from the person's mouth, not a hired mouthpiece. As I said earlier, while I applaud William for wanting his wife to be equally styled to himself, the Queen is the one who makes the decisions on who is styled in what way, and she did not make her a princess in her own right, so it would be totally incorrect to refer to her that way, even if people are going to do it anyway. At least people here should know better than random people who don't follow royalty.

Catherine's title is HRH Princess William Arthur Philip Louis, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Lady Carrickfergus. She is not, nor will she be any time soon, HRH Princess Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, etc,.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine

No, it's not official. There's no direct quotes from William anywhere, just a remark by his "offical spokesman". I don't believe anything unless it comes from the person's mouth, not a hired mouthpiece. As I said earlier, while I applaud William for wanting his wife to be equally styled to himself, the Queen is the one who makes the decisions on who is styled in what way, and she did not make her a princess in her own right, so it would be totally incorrect to refer to her that way, even if people are going to do it anyway. At least people here should know better than random people who don't follow royalty.

Catherine's title is HRH Princess William Arthur Philip Louis, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Lady Carrickfergus. She is not, nor will she be any time soon, HRH Princess Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, etc,.
Ok..... I figured it wasn't official, I just keep wanting to correct people (on othe boards and articles) but then thinking does it really matter? And decide it's easier to just not worry about what press/people call her I am just sticking with the Duchess of Cambridge or Catherine......
Old 05-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Paddy is the official communications secretary, so would he really be making these statements without William's approval?
Old 05-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but am I right in thinking that William will now be known as William Cambridge at work - as he was William Wales?

For me, the main thing about the new title is that to everyone the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge know closely, they will still be simply be William and Catherine. So for them it's not such an "identity change" as it is for us!

One day, William and Catherine will be the Prince and Princess of Wales and when that day comes, I shall probably start refering to Catherine as Princess Catherine, just as a nickname really.

So now, the main members of the royal family are:

The Queen
The Duke of Edinburgh
The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
Prince Henry of Wales.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Ok..... I figured it wasn't official, I just keep wanting to correct people (on othe boards and articles) but then thinking does it really matter? And decide it's easier to just not worry about what press/people call her I am just sticking with the Duchess of Cambridge or Catherine......
I think that right now the new title that Kate has that she's probably enjoying the most is simply "wife". I am finding it hard to get away from calling her Kate and I think it will most likely remain that as a couple they will be referred to as William and Kate informally.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar
Since Paddy is the official communications secretary, would he really be making these statements without William's approval?
Sorry, I should have been clearer in my post- I didn't mean official like her name is now officially Princess Catherine....which as Sister pointed out only the Queen can do but yes I believe William had ''ofiicially'' said he is ok with the public calling her Princess Catherine which I suppose does count for something though on official stuff it doesn't matter.....that why I was worried we'd get a lot of correction posts if someone does call her Princess Catherine on our threads .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi

I think that right now the new title that Kate has that she's probably enjoying the most is simply "wife"..
Agreed, and that IMO is lovely and romantic ......and exactly how I felt......
Old 05-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:

I can't find anything mentioned on the BP or CH websites, so I would say it is not official. The Queen has already given them 3 titles. I don't see her encouraging anyone to refer to her as Princess Catherine. If she wanted her to be known as such, she would have done something about it prior to the wedding.

I do see they have her listed on both the BP and CH websites as Duchess of Cambridge with her new coat of arms and Royal seal. That was quick!
Old 05-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat

I can't find anything mentioned on the BP or CH websites, so I would say it is not official. The Queen has already given them 3 titles. I don't see her encouraging anyone to refer to her as Princess Catherine. If she wanted her to be known as such, she would have done something about it prior to the wedding.

I do see they have her listed on both the BP and CH websites as Duchess of Cambridge with her new coat of arms and Royal seal. That was quick!
I should have clarified, I meant unofficially official from Prince William and not made up by the press......

Edit- Hello magazine says that the spokesperson said '' no one will argue'' if she is refeared to as Princess Catherine in the press....so that's exactly what we thought would happen....she has official title, the press will call her Princess Kate/Catherine, and no statement will be issued correcting it
Old 05-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sorry, I should have been clearer in my post- I didn't mean official like her name is now officially Princess Catherine....which as Sister pointed out only the Queen can do but yes I believe William had ''ofiicially'' said he is ok with the public calling her Princess Catherine which I suppose does count for something though on official stuff it doesn't matter.....that why I was worried we'd get a lot of correction posts if someone does call her Princess Catherine on our threads .....
Got it.

Yeah, officially she's not Princess Catherine, but it seems that's the title William would like for her to be known by.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Got it.

Yeah, officially she's not Princess Catherine, but it seems that's the title William would like for her to be known by.
Aha, so unofficially she will most probably be Princess Catherine and no one will make an issue about it. In the Netherlands we call that "in de volksmond". Literally translated "in the people's mouths".

Is this unofficial endorsement unprecedented?
Old 05-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Royal Highness

The spokesman said 'no one will argue' if she's referred to as Princess Catherine

It's pretty obvious he is not familiar with the posters on this board!
Old 05-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Nobility

The Telegraph article about how Catherine will be addressed.

Here's the quote from the Telegraph:

After Friday's Royal wedding, Paddy Harverson, the Prince of Wales' communications secretary, suggested the public be encouraged to use the names Prince William and Princess Catherine if they preferred.
He said: "I think it's absolutely natural that the public might want to call them Prince William and Princess Catherine and no one is going to have any argument with that."
Fears of offending Prince Charles' second wife and demoting her in the Royal hierarchy apparently led to the decision not to make Prince William's bride a Princess.

Especially since this if from Paddy Harverson, the Prince of Wales' communications secretary, this must be true. It probably won't appear on the royal.gov website because it is unofficial. I read that, whatever the queen did, some noses would be out of joint. But I also read that "whatever William wants, William gets." So I guess that everyone, every paper, when she is introduced and referred to, it is going to be Princess Catherine. When she is listed on official palace communications, it will be "The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge." But she won't "officially" be a princess, which would be a light to the Duchess of Cornwall. Ah, palace intrigue...
Old 05-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
It's pretty obvious he is not familiar with the posters on this board!
That is for certain, some are really insistant on the proper use of titles .
Old 05-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Aha, so unofficially she will most probably be Princess Catherine and no one will make an issue about it. In the Netherlands we call that "in de volksmond". Literally translated "in the people's mouths".

Is this unofficial endorsement unprecedented?
I wonder that too.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:50 PM

Don't Read Too Much Into it

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post

While the article is interesting, I wouldn't read too much into it. The Royal Family will clearly refer to them as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. The statement that Prince William "had let it be known" that he would prefer for his wife to become "Princess Catherine" was news reported months ago. The Queen could certainly understand these feelings. I don't doubt she had wanted her husband to be known as Prince Phillip before her ascension, but she had to wait. Nonetheless she decided that Prince William must wait as well. That being said, there is an acknowledgement from the royal family that the public will call her what it chooses, and they're not going to constantly correct people. That is all I understand from the Prince of Wale's communications secretary.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles