Prince George and Princess Charlotte, General News Part 3: May 2016-April 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The It's one thing for the children to be photo'd while in public (although myself I don't think they should be unless they are at some event with their parents or a official photo call type thing), it's quite another for the sneaky long range cameras that intrude on everyday life.

LaRae
Right. I think that William is NEVER going to be friendly to the Press and good for him. so if they do things like photograph his kids when they are on off duty time in a sneaky way, he's going to hit back.

Ipsos is a voluntary organisation. Some papers like the Express and The Sun are members, other like The Guardian are not.

It's very odd to me to blame the Cambridges for filing a complaint about George's privacy when the Editor's own code of conduct says he should have privacy in certain situations.

The Express newspaper published photos in violation of it's own code of conduct, yet it's the Cambridges who get the guff.

Ipsos is a voluntary organisation. Some papers like the Express and The Sun are members, other like The Guardian are not.

It's very odd to me to blame the Cambridges for filing a complaint about George's privacy when the Editor's own code of conduct says he should have privacy in certain situations.

The Express newspaper published photos in violation of it's own code of conduct, yet it's the Cambridges who get the guff.
Exactly. They have a code of conduct for a reason that the members have agreed on. If they don't agree then they don't have to be in it. Same, the UK press CAN post pictures of the royal kids, and they could post pictures of William when he was in university. But they didn't, because if they do they will not get access. I don't think it's odd for them to only allow access for media that follow a certain degree of conduct. Groups like that are there to ensure a level press, and ofc the royals will invite press from those groups. Nothing odd about it.

Prince George: Why he only wears shorts

My mother and grandmother dressed me in these kind of shorts as a young kid too. I just never understood why. Every time I see Prince George wardrobe, I can but help to reflect on my childhood and wardrobe.

Now, I'm sure William & Catherine make sure George wear warm trousers in the winter, but, come to think of it, we don't see George in the winter so we really don't know.

Last edited:
People in the public spotlight have a reasonable expectation of privacy when on their own time and in their own space. Prince William certainly is quite sensitive to this, given his background. For the press to continue to hound him and his family when they are on their own time and on their private property is unconscionable. I don't blame him for taking the legal steps he has.

:previous:Good points Catlin. Also the recent hacking of his sister-in-law's phone is likely to reinforce the need to take the measures to protect the privacy of his children.

I agree. As a private citizen, I cannot imagine the awful media intrusion suffered by members of the Royal Family. It is relentless. In addition, with modern technology and unscrupulous hackers, they don't even have the privacy of their phones. The invasion of privacy as well as constant security concerns must be overwhelming at times. I do not envy them at all. I think they handle the stress much better than most of us would.

A very interesting article from Paris Match

Royal Style – Baby George, condamné aux culottes courtes http://www.parismatch.com/Royal-Blo...-George-condamne-aux-culottes-courtes-1090303

In two words, Prince George is constantly wearing short pants and it will be like this till he is 8 years old, because it is the use in upper British class. Wearing long pants before the age of 8 or 9 it is sign of middle or low social level.

Well wouldn't it be nice to see Kate ditch that upperclass rot

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I would imagine when it gets to be winter time and a lot colder, George isn't dressed in shorts.

Nope, those shorts are packed away once the winter kicks in. Trousers and long John's are likey used then. Those long John's made me want to scream though.

Nope, those shorts are packed away once the winter kicks in. Trousers and long John's are likey used then. Those long John's made me want to scream though.

What is long John's?

Here in the US long johns is a term for thermal underwear.

Well wouldn't it be nice to see Kate ditch that upperclass rot

It's tradition, so why would Catherine ditch what the Royal Family has been doing in regards to children's dress for heaven knows how long? It's not hurting anyone and it looks as if heMp's dressed in short trousers for official events only. It's not a big deal.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

There is tradition then there is snobbery ... Fine line

It's tradition, so why would Catherine ditch what the Royal Family has been doing in regards to children's dress for heaven knows how long? It's not hurting anyone and it looks as if heMp's dressed in short trousers for official events only. It's not a big deal.

At least the tradition of young boys/princes in DRESSES has passed into history: https://www.google.com/search?q=geo...7AkILg&biw=1920&bih=920#imgrc=p4kbg-fSTJ8WRM:

There is tradition then there is snobbery ... Fine line

You're entitled to your opinion, just as I am entitled to mine. I don't think it's snobbish at all. I'm not from upper classes, but I would dress my son how George is being dressed, because it's age-appropriate. Catherine and William are doing just that. I don't think keeping traditions is being a snob.

You're entitled to your opinion, just as I am entitled to mine. I don't think it's snobbish at all. I'm not from upper classes, but I would dress my son how George is being dressed, because it's age-appropriate. Catherine and William are doing just that. I don't think keeping traditions is being a snob.

Age appropriate is comfortable warm pants. We have all agreed its because of class.

Girls wear skirts with long socks for their school uniforms and nobody thinks they are cold.

Good point about the fashion for dressing boys in dresses is over. We have many pictures of a relative dressed about 1910 and the young boys are wearing skirts. It was easier for,the diapers I would think.

Age appropriate is comfortable warm pants. We have all agreed its because of class.

We? I don't think 'we' have all agreed any such thing.

I don't think it has to do with class at all. It's to do with the traditions of the BRF. I think it's charming and neat to see children dressed like this for more formal events. We all have seen him wearing 'regular' clothes at other times, if it were about class he'd never been seen in 'regular' clothes.

LaRae

Are there any photos around of the Wessexes' son James out and about with his parents on photo ops or semi-Royal occasions, family days etc at the same age, so we could compare?

As far as I remember Will and Harry wore a lot of shorts when they were very young, but it was the 1980's and fashions do change.

I lived in the town of Windsor at one time with my husband and you would see young Etonians on occasion out with parents and younger siblings. I suppose they would be regarded as upper class!

Yet what I remember is distinctly mixed. Younger brothers would sometimes be in short pants/ shorts in the summer and in slacks and even jeans in the autumn and winter (boys of 4,5,6 and up,) so it didn't appear to me that shorts were the 'uniform' of choice at all, especially in the colder months.

My opinion is that it's a preference by George's parents that he wears shorts on these occasions and perhaps nanny Maria's. A poster on another forum stated that the Spanish upper and middle classes also tend to dress their little sons in shorts, so maybe Maria (who comes from a comfortably off middleclass family) picked out the clothing George wore? Who knows!

Last edited:
If Catherine and William want George to wear shorts on public occasions, then why not? It's their son, not ours. Just because that isn't the tradition in the US or other places, doesn't mean it isn't in the BRF. It hurts no one and has nothing whatever to do with snobbery.

I've just googled, for my own interest, photos of Princes Andrew, Edward and Edward's son James Wessex when they were very young. Of the selection I saw Andrew doesn't appear in shorts very much at all as a boy. In the photo ops at Balmoral with his parents, admittedly probably in autumn, he has on long pants.

Edward's are also mixed, kilt, shorts and long pants, as are James's, who wore shorts sometimes in photos but wore long pants on several public occasions last year. The princes who wore shorts A LOT except in the coldest conditions as young boys were William and Harry.

So, shorts-wearing on all public occasions/photo ops etc only appears to be a BRF tradition dating from one generation back, and in summery weather only for Charles's younger siblings when small.

Last edited:
Are there any photos around of the Wessexes' son James out and about with his parents on photo ops or semi-Royal occasions, family days etc at the same age, so we could compare.

Louise and James were kept very much out of the public eye during their formative years, but later on there was a lovely set of pics taken at a county fair or something, complete with horse roundabouts etc.

A really lovely pic of (maybe six year old?) James literally jumping into his dad's arms.

Not a pair of shorts in sight!

But we probably won't see George in shorts when he is six either ..... if we see him at all! :lol:

We? I don't think 'we' have all agreed any such thing.

I don't think it has to do with class at all. It's to do with the traditions of the BRF. I think it's charming and neat to see children dressed like this for more formal events. We all have seen him wearing 'regular' clothes at other times, if it were about class he'd never been seen in 'regular' clothes.

LaRae

Exactly. I guess to some, 'tradition' equates to 'snobbery'. Like you, I think it's very endearing and sweet to see George (and his sister) dress like little children during formal occasions. They do have other clothing that is used when they're out on family outings. I doubt Charlotte would go to a petting zoo, or a play park in one of her smocked dresses that we saw on tour.

If Catherine and William want George to wear shorts on public occasions, then why not? It's their son, not ours. Just because that isn't the tradition in the US or other places, doesn't mean it isn't in the BRF. It hurts no one and has nothing whatever to do with snobbery.

Thank you! At the end of the day, it's up to the parents how to dress their children. It's not as if William and Catherine go around forcing everyone to dress their children in traditional styles. If they feel that it's appropriate for George to wear short trousers, then I trust their judgement. Who knows, maybe his legs get hot easily and wearing longer trousers isn't very comfortable. I work with a preschooler that hated wearing long trousers. He came to school with short ones on even in the coldest of days, and it's not as if NYC winters are all that warm. His parents just had him wrapped up in heavy blankets when he was in his buggy outside. No big deal. Sometimes, as parents, you choose to,pick your battles and if short trousers and blanket keeps the kid from constantly complaining about being uncomfortable, and having sensory issues, I say go for it.

The party’s over for Prince George and Princess Charlotte — or perhaps more accurately, for their parents.

Following the royal family’s eight-day tour of Canada, 3-year-old George and 17-month-old Charlotte experienced the after-effects of such a big trip, dad Prince William revealed Monday evening.

“They were on best behavior [during the trip], so it was good,” he said, adding, “The jet lag has been a bit interesting since we got back.”

William said of the memorable tour with Princess Kate, “We had a busy week. It was good fun. It was nice to take the children with us as well.”
Prince William Says George and Charlotte Had Jet Lag

Those hard hats just may come in handy if they get to playing rough and tumble with Uncle Harry. :lol:

Princess Charlotte could be the footballer in the family after what her dad Prince William has revealed.

The future King was visiting the National Football Museum in Manchester with his wife Kate when he opened up about their 17-month-old daughter and their three-year-old son Prince George.

"Charlotte is the one who shows more aptitude [for football]," William said, chatting to the England women's team captain, Steph Houghton, and her teammate Jill Scott. "George is sort of getting into it slowly, but Charlotte is showing more aptitude."
Read more: Princess Charlotte is showing an aptitude for football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom