The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What will be the gender of William and Catherine's 1st baby?
A boy 67 26.38%
A girl 109 42.91%
Twins - a boy and a girl 13 5.12%
Twin boys 1 0.39%
Twin girls 10 3.94%
As long as the baby is healthy, it doesn't matter! 54 21.26%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #161  
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 3,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by [QUOTE=CanRoyal View Post
]However, just a heads up - if speaking directly to a Canadian and you refer to them as an "American" you will find yourself being chased by an angry hockey stick wielding Canadian.
Drats! I wish I had known this years ago. I could have used it at the stadium and get chased by Detroit Red Wings!! Actually back in those days I used to cross the bridge from Detroit to Windsor, Ontario a lot and had a specific question that would tell me if a guy was from the US or Canada. "What's your favorite sport?" A guy from the US 99.9% of the time said football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
I actually think W and C will use Diana. It may be his way of 'giving her back the HRH' as William said so long ago.
I remember William being quoted as saying that. However, I think as he grew older he realized that giving someone HRH posthumously is not something that could be done on a whim because one wants it to be so. It would create quite a bit of sticky business. I do agree that somehow, someway, both William and Harry will honor their mother when naming their children and keep her memory recounting to their children what their late grandmother was like.
__________________

__________________
“We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.”
~~~ John Lennon ~~~
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 01-07-2013, 09:31 PM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 1,656
Scooter, I think it very possible that Will and Kate will name a daughter Diana because, as you say, it could be Will's way of giving his mother the "HRH" back - and possibly the "HM" she never had. It's also possible he doesn't think this way. We don't know how the wheels turn in his head.

However, I think it clear that the child's name will be a very telling into Will's psyche, and to some extent Kate's. Generally speaking, it's my experience that the mom names the baby and the dad's involvement is more or less veto power, and some suggestions. However, these are special circumstances, and I think Will's ideas and even the Queen's ideas will take precedence here. I just see Kate as more of a "live and let live" kinda gal, while Will is more forceful in his opinions. Of course I don't know, it's just how I see them and their relationship. There's always a more dominant partner, and it tends to work most of the time for most people.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,670
I am sure that William and Kate will name their first daughter Diana, either as her first name or her second name. And if they have sons and then Harry has a daughter, I think Harry will name his first daughter Diana.

And I have a Canadian cousin, and can vouch for the hostility that you can inspire in an otherwise gentle clergyman by suggesting he is an American.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 01-08-2013, 06:57 AM
wymanda's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Scooter, I think it very possible that Will and Kate will name a daughter Diana because, as you say, it could be Will's way of giving his mother the "HRH" back - and possibly the "HM" she never had. It's also possible he doesn't think this way. We don't know how the wheels turn in his head.

However, I think it clear that the child's name will be a very telling into Will's psyche, and to some extent Kate's. Generally speaking, it's my experience that the mom names the baby and the dad's involvement is more or less veto power, and some suggestions. However, these are special circumstances, and I think Will's ideas and even the Queen's ideas will take precedence here. I just see Kate as more of a "live and let live" kinda gal, while Will is more forceful in his opinions. Of course I don't know, it's just how I see them and their relationship. There's always a more dominant partner, and it tends to work most of the time for most people.
as you say, the Queen will have a say in the naming of the little Prince or Princess. I am of the opinion that she will counsel William to find a not so obvious way to honor his mother.
__________________
Everything I write here is my opinion and I mean no offence by it.
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 01-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kerrville, United States
Posts: 4
Spencer would be a very strong name for a future king and a great tribute to Lady Diana.
Amelia Wales has a ring to it, if we get a queen to be.
Just healthy is important, the rest is icing on the cake!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 PM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daddy View Post
Spencer would be a very strong name for a future king and a great tribute to Lady Diana.
Amelia Wales has a ring to it, if we get a queen to be.
Just healthy is important, the rest is icing on the cake!
King Spencer? I just don't see it. And somehow, I doubt the Queen would approve of a "King Spencer I"

I'd say there's zero chance that name will be a first name for a child of William and Kate's. Maybe for a younger child of Prince Harry's, but even then I'd imagine it would be a middle name.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,433
I don't know if this is what Canroyal was thinking about, but I think it would be nice for something about Diana - like the naming of a child - to be there for Harry. William shouldn't really have 1st pick of everything (I haven't explained that well, sounds harsh, and I don't mean it to be)
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daddy View Post
Spencer would be a very strong name for a future king and a great tribute to Lady Diana.
Amelia Wales has a ring to it, if we get a queen to be.
Just healthy is important, the rest is icing on the cake!
I think King Spencer ranks right up there with King Ralph and Queen Latifah as potential names for Baby Cambridge. Keep in mind the child is a future British monarch.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 01-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I don't know if this is what Canroyal was thinking about, but I think it would be nice for something about Diana - like the naming of a child - to be there for Harry. William shouldn't really have 1st pick of everything (I haven't explained that well, sounds harsh, and I don't mean it to be)
Which is why I think the first to have a girl should have first pick. That's fair, or as fair as possible under the circumstances in which William is indeed first and has priority over everyting. And though William is the first to marry, he might have only boys. Harry could use the name "Spencer" as one of the secondary names for a son if he has one.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:03 PM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daddy View Post
Spencer would be a very strong name for a future king and a great tribute to Lady Diana.
Amelia Wales has a ring to it, if we get a queen to be.
Just healthy is important, the rest is icing on the cake!
King Spencer! Well, bless your heart!

This ain't Birmingham, darlin'. They just don't do it that way over there.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:05 PM
DCVO's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tacoma, United States
Posts: 83
While I have known some good Spencers, the most famous Spencer who comes to mind is Spencer Pratt *shudders* NOT a good association. I think it'd be a lovely middle name, for either Will or Harry's child.

I do think that it's more likely for Harry to name his daughter Diana. William and Catherine's daughter Diana would have so much media pressure and comparison to her grandmother growing up, I simply don't think W and K would inflict that on their little one. Harry's kids will be less in the spotlight, less pressure to live up to the media legend of Diana, PoW.

I think Will and Kate are likely to use Diana's middle name, Frances.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCVO View Post
While I have known some good Spencers, the most famous Spencer who comes to mind is Spencer Pratt *shudders* NOT a good association. I think it'd be a lovely middle name, for either Will or Harry's child.

I do think that it's more likely for Harry to name his daughter Diana. William and Catherine's daughter Diana would have so much media pressure and comparison to her grandmother growing up, I simply don't think W and K would inflict that on their little one. Harry's kids will be less in the spotlight, less pressure to live up to the media legend of Diana, PoW.

I think Will and Kate are likely to use Diana's middle name, Frances.
I love the name Spencer - unfortunately that Pratt creature used it. I think his mum must hide in shame. Anyway, I think Diana as a middlish name for the the first girl and Frances as a distant choice possibly for a middlish name for a first boy. I think Francis for the second girl.

If you look at the history of the Wales boys, despite their love of mum, they are just not that close to the Spencers. I think they will tip their hat to mum's family - but not much more. Do remember, the Earl embarrassed the Wales with his eulogy. We may have understood it, but I doubt everyone did.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
If you look at the history of the Wales boys, despite their love of mum, they are just not that close to the Spencers. I think they will tip their hat to mum's family - but not much more. Do remember, the Earl embarrassed the Wales with his eulogy.
But this is the RF. They think in terms of reigns and centuries, not years or even decades. No matter what they might feel about Diana's brother, Spencer was Diana's family name, and I think it is likely to be used as a middle name for a son, but by Harry, not William, because I am sure that he will use Diana as a first name for his first daughter. I could quite possibly be way off the mark, but that's my gut feeling. And enough time has passed for the dust of moral outrage to have settled within the RF and for most other people that use of that name will be seen as a loving tribute and no more.

Further, William giving a son Spencer as a middle name would be too much of a tribute, but it would be OK for Harry, especially if William goes with Diana.

And, apart from any other reason, Spencer is just not the sort of name that would be used as a first name for an English prince. Using surnames as first names seems to be an American thing. Now, having gone out on a limb with that, I expect to be bombarded with examples of odd names being used as first names within the extended RF.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:36 PM
hkittybaby's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: london, United Kingdom
Posts: 891
Prince Charles always wanted a daughter
Princess Diana once said she would like to have a daughter named Victoria.

Now I think William and Kate will choose Victoria as a first name for their baby (a lovely tribute to Princess Diana) and Diana or Spencer as the baby's middle name (another lovely tribute to William's mum).
__________________
“Yes, well, I really hope I can make a difference, even in the smallest way. I am looking forward to helping as much as I can.”
Catherine Middleton
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 3,892
You may be absolutely correct in that Will and Kate will name their first daughter Diana as I would assume that when William remembers his mother, it is Diana, the mother he remembers and not Diana, Princess of Wales. Both boys were/are very close with both their parents

I think they will go with something simple and unique but yet fitting for their firstborn child with traces of remembrance in the middle names. No matter what they call the child, I'm sure the tabloids will dream up 'dirt" headlines to fan the whiff of shock and awe to their readers. It hit me that as traditional of a name Alice would be for a little princess, I could see the DM headlines now: "Will and Kate name baby after Camilla's ancestral royal paramour!"
__________________
“We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.”
~~~ John Lennon ~~~
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:46 PM
hkittybaby's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: london, United Kingdom
Posts: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
You may be absolutely correct in that Will and Kate will name their first daughter Diana as I would assume that when William remembers his mother, it is Diana, the mother he remembers and not Diana, Princess of Wales. Both boys were/are very close with both their parents

I think they will go with something simple and unique but yet fitting for their firstborn child with traces of remembrance in the middle names. No matter what they call the child, I'm sure the tabloids will dream up 'dirt" headlines to fan the whiff of shock and awe to their readers. It hit me that as traditional of a name Alice would be for a little princess, I could see the DM headlines now: "Will and Kate name baby after Camilla's ancestral royal paramour!"
I agree with you
__________________
“Yes, well, I really hope I can make a difference, even in the smallest way. I am looking forward to helping as much as I can.”
Catherine Middleton
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 PM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
You may be absolutely correct in that Will and Kate will name their first daughter Diana as I would assume that when William remembers his mother, it is Diana, the mother he remembers and not Diana, Princess of Wales. Both boys were/are very close with both their parents

I think they will go with something simple and unique but yet fitting for their firstborn child with traces of remembrance in the middle names. No matter what they call the child, I'm sure the tabloids will dream up 'dirt" headlines to fan the whiff of shock and awe to their readers. It hit me that as traditional of a name Alice would be for a little princess, I could see the DM headlines now: "Will and Kate name baby after Camilla's ancestral royal paramour!"
If they name her Victoria half the DM readership will assume she's named after Victoria Beckham.

Princess Diana Spencer Victoria Elizabeth of Cambridge? Really? The poor Queen would fall off her throne reading the memo.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 01-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,670
Diana Victoria Elizabeth Caroline wouldn't surprise me. Why Caroline? I can't see Carole making the final cut.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 01-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
God (if you exist) please spare us a future Queen Diana.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 01-08-2013, 09:34 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
If they name her Victoria half the DM readership will assume she's named after Victoria Beckham.

Princess Diana Spencer Victoria Elizabeth of Cambridge? Really? The poor Queen would fall off her throne reading the memo.
thank you Gracie - love your sense of humour
__________________

__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
duchess of cambridge, first baby, prince william


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit duchess of cambridge dutch royal history engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games olympics ottoman picture of the month pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess marilene princess mary queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:51 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]