The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 2: January 2014 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with wyevale.
One of the things I admire about Charles is his staunch public support of Tibet.

If I thought William would highlight the wildlife crisis of Tigers and Elephants while in China, I would support this trip. But this sounds very much like a business and p.r. trip that China cooked up, and the UK is playing along because they know China is the next great Superpower and they want to reinforce their economic ties.

I'm honestly very disappointed in this trip.

The reality of official visits organised by the FO is that they are political and based on improving the UK's standing with the country concerned - they are always about PR and trade - always.

All State visits involving HMQ - whether inbound or outbound, are for the same purpose. Always have been - same applies for all senior royals.

You are in for a lifetime of disappointment.

(EDIT - hit wrong key)

The only saving grace are either
1. the trips to Commonwealth countries - although let's be honest basically its the same reason. Australia wanted Catherine and William in order to promote their country to a world audience and it succeeded.

2. Trips in support of charities, ie Princess Royals recent trips to Africa for Save the Children.

Last edited:
They should be sending Harry. His charities don't conflict with China the same way William's do. William is going to look like a spineless bag of hot air when he talks about wildlife issues in the future. It's sad because I believe he genuinely cares, and he's just doing the trip per request of The Queen, but he's about to lose a lot of street cred.

They should be sending Harry. His charities don't conflict with China the same way William's do. William is going to look like a spineless bag of hot air when he talks about wildlife issues in the future. It's sad because I believe he genuinely cares, and he's just doing the trip per request of The Queen, but he's about to lose a lot of street cred.

I have a lot of sympathy with this view....but

What I don't know is what the laws in China are about importing ivory and rhino horn. According to reports last week the biggest markets for illegal imports are China and US. (I know some posters didn't believe me because of the laws but illegal imports are still happening).

IT may be that Chinese government want to stop/crackdown the illegal trade and maybe this trip could help.

I need more information about the Chinese Government's views.

In diplomacy not everything can be about the grand gesture. If royals can't visit countries where there are conflicts with their charities, they may as well all stay home

William was personally credited with helping to bring China to the table earlier in the year. So he does engage China, when the time and place is appropriate

Illegal wildlife trade: 50 nations gather in London for high-level summit | Environment | The Guardian

Like I said earlier if he were doing something like that during this trip, I would be fully supportive. But I can already see the UK press stockpiling their verbal ammo for when he plays polo for Tusk Trust next spring. I think he's walking into a booby trap. I hope I'm wrong and he comes out unscathed.

So far the British press is reporting how impressive this is for William to undertake. Its a diplomatic visit and not a soapbox anti-poaching visit.

I agree with wyevale.
One of the things I admire about Charles is his staunch public support of Tibet.

If I thought William would highlight the wildlife crisis of Tigers and Elephants while in China, I would support this trip. But this sounds very much like a business and p.r. trip that China cooked up, and the UK is playing along because they know China is the next great Superpower and they want to reinforce their economic ties.

I'm honestly very disappointed in this trip.

One of the primary roles of the senior members of the BRF are to represent Britain abroad, and help strengthen ties between Britain and various countries. They do this under instruction and guidance of the government of the day. This role must not, IMO, in any way, conflict with their own personal campaigns or views on various topics. Whilst William may support wildlife charities, his role in relation to China will be to help improve trade and social ties. This does not, IMO, in any way conflict with his support for his charities.

William is going to look like a spineless bag of hot air when he talks about wildlife issues in the future. It's sad because I believe he genuinely cares, and he's just doing the trip per request of The Queen, but he's about to lose a lot of street cred.

IMO, not really. He is just doing his job of supporting Crown and country.

It's sad because I believe he genuinely cares, and he's just doing the trip per request of The Queen, but he's about to lose a lot of street cred.

Thankfully he does not have to be elected, and can actually focus his energies on doing the right thing, as opposed to trying to improve his "street cred" as a lot of short-termist politicians often do.

Well, I hope the Chinese officials will learn much about diplomacy from William, since their arrogant rudeness towards the Japanese prime-minister recently left a lot to be desired.

I am somewhat bemused by those advocating William personally engage China politically during his visit. Royal interference in UK Diplomatic and International affairs in pursuit of Prince William's personal charities at a time where his father is being slated for exercising his democratic right to correspond with MP's in the UK.

I believe we are sailing into dangerous waters when we expect William to "break the rules of engagement" or lose support or "street cred" if he doesn't. Prince William's usefulness to the UK is far too important to sqander in such a way. And yes Jack, I do think that Prince William's Royal and Diplomatic deportment may very well be a superb "diplomatic message" the UK is making when they are not making a diplomatic statement!

Prince William is carrying out investitures today at Buckingham Palace

Last edited:
I'm wondering why William wasn't standing on the dais during the Investiture?

I think because he is so tall and has to almost bend over to chat with people. This seems to be a more comfortable position

:previous:Oh how lovely for her, this must have been a real thrill to have PW do that, he is such a gentleman and by what he did you can tell he is all about family.

Look: Prince William visits Birmingham homeless charity St Basils and National Arboretum - Birmingham Mail
Prince William swapped the glitz and glamour of his New York tour for a more down-to-earth engagement at a Birmingham homelessness charity.

The Duke of Cambridge returned to the city to see the work of St Basils, which supports young people aged 16-25 who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.

He happily mingled with staff and young people who explained the charity’s work and told one young mum, whose 10-month-old daughter had fallen fast asleep in the noisy room, that little Prince George would not have been so content.

Prince William said: “Has she drifted off? How did you manage to get her to do that? George doesn’t do that. He’d never do that if there was this much noise.”
---------------------------------------------
Watch: Prince William in Aston and Perry Barr on royal visit - Birmingham Mail

Last edited:
Video:
The Duke of Cambridge has been to St Basils at John Austin Court, Birmingham, an organisation which helps young people aged 16-25 who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. The Duke met with staff and spoke to young residents about their experiences. .

Home - ITNSource News

First-
I'd say the Duke has found another child who will adore him for life in Spencer! Not surprised! Also not surprised that Spencer's mom got choked up! Who wouldn't? When are Spencer and Wills going to play footy in the KP garden?
Why is there a ram/ goat in the pics?

Second-
2 things struck me. The mum at the homeless shelter said she was surprised that William would come over and chat, while I'd be surprised if William didn't. And the second thing is what always strikes me- there is the future King standing there with a mug of coffee, chatting, and everyone's at ease. Never surprising, but always striking!

St Basils does amazing work

Home - St. Basils

Very interesting.
What struck me is that had I not known who William is, I would have thought he was a normal person. And the fact that the future King takes an interest in those on the total other end of the scale says quite a lot.

Very interesting.
What struck me is that had I not known who William is, I would have thought he was a normal person. And the fact that the future King takes an interest in those on the total other end of the scale says quite a lot.

Both of William's parents set the example for him. Diana with Centrepoint and all of the work that the Prince's Trust and Charles' other charities and patronages have aimed to do have made a strong impact on both Wills and Harry I think.

Agreed! It's just so obvious that he truly cares!

Very interesting.
Yes it does.

I will say that I hope that the people of England realize what a great man they have in William, the way he protects his wife while on this latest trip and made sure she was okay, the way he talks to people and engages them in conversation and making them feel important says so much about how he will be in the future.
Now RR, you and I can argue who gets to keep William to ourselves for another day.....:lol::lol::flowers::) only we have to get Catherine's permission first....

I will say that I hope that the people of England realize what a great man they have in William, the way he protects his wife while on this latest trip and made sure she was okay, the way he talks to people and engages them in conversation and making them feel important says so much about how he will be in the future.
Now RR, you and I can argue who gets to keep William to ourselves for another day.....:lol::lol::flowers::) only we have to get Catherine's permission first....

And the way he is with kids tells us what kind of Daddy he is to George!
@ SE- you are so right about William, and that's going to be an interesting argument! LOL!

First-

I'd say the Duke has found another child who will adore him for life in Spencer! Not surprised! Also not surprised that Spencer's mom got choked up! Who wouldn't? When are Spencer and Wills going to play footy in the KP garden?

Why is there a ram/ goat in the pics?

Second-

2 things struck me. The mum at the homeless shelter said she was surprised that William would come over and chat, while I'd be surprised if William didn't. And the second thing is what always strikes me- there is the future King standing there with a mug of coffee, chatting, and everyone's at ease. Never surprising, but always striking!

I have nothing to add, since you read my mind. William is one in a million, that's for sure.

Very interesting.

He'll be the King that will speak for those who cannot be heard.

Both of William's parents set the example for him. Diana with Centrepoint and all of the work that the Prince's Trust and Charles' other charities and patronages have aimed to do have made a strong impact on both Wills and Harry I think.

You're absolutely correct. His parents set a great example, and William's natural ability to care for others is a big part as well.

I'll take part in that argument too :D, and I agree with all that you said.

And the way he is with kids tells us what kind of Daddy he is to George!

@ SE- you are so right about William, and that's going to be an interesting argument! LOL!

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he's playing with George.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Prince William backs the Standard's Christmas appeal to help homeless war veterans - Homeless Veterans - News - London Evening Standard
Prince William today backed the Evening Standard’s Christmas appeal for homeless veterans, saying that he is deeply troubled when servicemen and women fall on hard times.

The Duke of Cambridge, who spent more than seven years in full-time military service, said life in the forces was “tough” and called on the public to “give these anonymous heroes a helping hand”. He said: “The men and women of the armed forces serve all of us, with their lives when called upon by their country. They would give their life to protect us, and they expect little in return.

“The armed forces life is tough, it’s unique, and it is also difficult sometimes to make the transition into civilian life afterwards.

“It troubles me deeply that our servicemen and women possess extraordinary courage, skills and talent, yet many find it difficult to gain meaningful employment in the civilian world and can fall on hard times. We can all do something small but meaningful to give these anonymous heroes a helping hand, give them hope and put them on the right road to recovery. It’s a good cause to support.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom