The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #121  
Old 07-01-2011, 10:42 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,358
Is Kate's last name Wales like Williams?
__________________

__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 07-01-2011, 11:06 PM
MRSJ's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ******, United States
Posts: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi
Is Kate's last name Wales like Williams?
I think they'd use Cambridge now but it's been reported they call each other Mr and Mrs Wales- though technically don't they not have a last name or is it Mountbatten-Windsor?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 07-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Lenora's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Riga, Latvia
Posts: 2,087
Is a baby on the way?The Duchess Kate revealed "she's a mummy in waiting" during Quebec visit,I've mentioned her particular touching way to behave with little kids in the last time
Kate Middleton gets broody as she reveals hopes for a royal baby | Mail Online
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 07-07-2011, 12:38 PM
PrincessKaimi's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hilo, Malibu, United States
Posts: 1,324
Local Los Angeles news is speculating that since L.A. is the "Capitol of the Thin-Women-Having-Babies" method (clomid), that the Duchess of Cambridge will, like Angelina Jolie and Julia Roberts, have twins.

They're even talking about the rights of succession of twins. It's gossip, I know, but it's definitely "what's in the air" about the couple's married life as far as West Coast perception goes.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 07-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,367
Let's not speculate on a pregnancy announcement. If and when it happens, there will be an official announcement from either Buckingham Palace and/or Clarence House.

Any and all additional posts will be deleted without notice.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 07-08-2011, 06:34 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: LONDON, United Kingdom
Posts: 802
I thought they were all Prince/Princess (William's children).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 07-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 751
What if it is a girl and they have no sons?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 07-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Midwestern Mom's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Smalltown, United States
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
What if it is a girl and they have no sons?
If you mean in the line of succession then their oldest child would become the Queen at the death of her father. Just like Queen Elizabeth II did.


MM
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 07-08-2011, 04:18 PM
PrincessKaimi's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hilo, Malibu, United States
Posts: 1,324
If they had twins, and the firstborn was a girl and the second was a boy, the boy would rule and the girl would not, unless her brother tied without issue.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 07-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Midwestern Mom's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Smalltown, United States
Posts: 133
Well of course, in England the oldest male child is the heir presumptive. Just like Charles inherited over Anne.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 07-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestern Mom View Post
Well of course, in England the oldest male child is the heir presumptive. Just like Charles inherited over Anne.
I rather see a case of "inheriting over" had Charles been the second child and Anne the first. Charles is the oldest child so there was nothing to inherit over.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 07-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Midwestern Mom's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Smalltown, United States
Posts: 133
For some reason I was thinking Anne was older than Charles...my mistake!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 07-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
I think they'd use Cambridge now but it's been reported they call each other Mr and Mrs Wales- though technically don't they not have a last name or is it Mountbatten-Windsor?
Their surname is Mountbatten-Windsor in all cases a family name is needed. But in most cases of normal life for a prince/princess as well as a peer and the heir of a peer no surname is needed as the title has precedence. Before William was granted his dukedom, he was titled Prince William of Wales thus he was "William Wales" at the army. He decided to stick with that name in his normal live, thus his wife as "Princess William of Wales" is Catherine Wales. Of course they both could go by (the higher Royal ducal title in its shortended form) William and Catherine Cambridge as a peer and his wife.

It's a bit vice-versa of what the Wessexes did with their son James Viscount Severn - instead of calling him "Prince James of Wessex" or "James Wessex" they call him "James Severn" from his courtesy title as his father's heir.

Let's take the example of another ducal family, the premier duke of the UK is the Duke of Norfolk. The family name is Fitzalan-Howard. The secondary title of the duke is Earl of Arundel.

The current duke is Edward Fitzalan-Howard, The 18th Duke of Norfolk. As a short form he uses Edward Norfolk, his wife is Georgina Fitzalan-Howard - The Duchess of Norfolk. She uses Georgina Norfolk as the short form of her name/title.

Their eldest son and his father's heir is Henry Fitzalan-Howard, Earl of Arundel (No "The" here as his father is still "The Earl of Arundel" - just like William is Prince William of Wales while his father is still "The Prince of Wales"). Henry's short form of his name is Henry Arundel. His younger brother is Lord Thomas Fitzalan-Howard. Thomas's short form is Thomas Fitzalan-Howard. So title comes before family name if you have one.

"Mr. and Mrs Wales" of course is a joke, because if William had no title, they would be "Mr. and Mrs. Mountbatten-Windsor".

BTW it is not uncommon in the British aristocracy to continue using the now lower title if you got a higher title through inhertance or Royal grant. The politician Michael Kerr (family name) was born the heir to the Marquess of Lothian, thus getting the title of Earl of Ancram, as this is the secondary title of his father. On becoming a lawyer he dropped the Earl of and used only Michael Ancram as his name, in order not to irritate a jury on being called "My Lord" as well as the actual judge at court. He then became a Member of Parliament, still using just Michael Ancram. When his father died he became The Marquess of Lothian" but instead of switching to "Michael Lothian" he continued as Michael Ancram as long as he was a member of the Commons. Then Her Majesty in 2010 granted him the title of Baron Kerr of Monteviot as a life peer so he could take his seat at the House of Lords (which he couldn't do with his Marquessate after the reform of the Hosue of Lords). But now as a member of the House of Lords he is known as Michael Lothian in short.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 07-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Britters's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DC, United States
Posts: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Their surname is Mountbatten-Windsor in all cases a family name is needed. But in most cases of normal life for a prince/princess as well as a peer and the heir of a peer no surname is needed as the title has precedence. Before William was granted his dukedom, he was titled Prince William of Wales thus he was "William Wales" at the army. He decided to stick with that name in his normal live, thus his wife as "Princess William of Wales" is Catherine Wales. Of course they both could go by (the higher Royal ducal title in its shortended form) William and Catherine Cambridge as a peer and his wife.

It's a bit vice-versa of what the Wessexes did with their son James Viscount Severn - instead of calling him "Prince James of Wessex" or "James Wessex" they call him "James Severn" from his courtesy title as his father's heir.

Let's take the example of another ducal family, the premier duke of the UK is the Duke of Norfolk. The family name is Fitzalan-Howard. The secondary title of the duke is Earl of Arundel.

The current duke is Edward Fitzalan-Howard, The 18th Duke of Norfolk. As a short form he uses Edward Norfolk, his wife is Georgina Fitzalan-Howard - The Duchess of Norfolk. She uses Georgina Norfolk as the short form of her name/title.

Their eldest son and his father's heir is Henry Fitzalan-Howard, Earl of Arundel (No "The" here as his father is still "The Earl of Arundel" - just like William is Prince William of Wales while his father is still "The Prince of Wales"). Henry's short form of his name is Henry Arundel. His younger brother is Lord Thomas Fitzalan-Howard. Thomas's short form is Thomas Fitzalan-Howard. So title comes before family name if you have one.

"Mr. and Mrs Wales" of course is a joke, because if William had no title, they would be "Mr. and Mrs. Mountbatten-Windsor".

BTW it is not uncommon in the British aristocracy to continue using the now lower title if you got a higher title through inhertance or Royal grant. The politician Michael Kerr (family name) was born the heir to the Marquess of Lothian, thus getting the title of Earl of Ancram, as this is the secondary title of his father. On becoming a lawyer he dropped the Earl of and used only Michael Ancram as his name, in order not to irritate a jury on being called "My Lord" as well as the actual judge at court. He then became a Member of Parliament, still using just Michael Ancram. When his father died he became The Marquess of Lothian" but instead of switching to "Michael Lothian" he continued as Michael Ancram as long as he was a member of the Commons. Then Her Majesty in 2010 granted him the title of Baron Kerr of Monteviot as a life peer so he could take his seat at the House of Lords (which he couldn't do with his Marquessate after the reform of the Hosue of Lords). But now as a member of the House of Lords he is known as Michael Lothian in short.
It's all very confusing. In theory William has years before he is made The Prince of Wales, if indeed that day ever actually comes. But lets just say for arguments sake that when Charles ascends the throne, William is made PoW (as is traditional). His and Catherine's future children will likely be teenagers, will they then change their surnames?

Also, is it likely that because William is the heir to the throne, the Queen will order Letters of Patent (or whatever is needed) to create them HRH's as one day, they will all be the children of the monarch?
__________________
Have you ever wished on a star? It's a magic everyone needs to experience!
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 07-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,367
I would imagine they would change their surnames if the circumstances changed.

Princess Margaret once remarked (when her father became King in 1936)...I used to be Margaret of York and now I am just Margaret of Nothing.
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 07-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Danishla's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Miami, United States
Posts: 435
It is so refreshing to witness this young couple who seem so committed and level headed; I wish them all the happiness and hope they have many children!
__________________
Danishla

The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, . . . .
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 07-13-2011, 09:44 PM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,777
A cute quote from Kate. She recently spoke about married life at a london charity
Quote:
The Duchess of Cambridge has spoken of her incredible happiness at being married. Kate opened her heart at a charity party in London saying she “loved” every minute of her life with Prince William. One guest revealed: “She said she is blissfully happy. Her eyes lit up whenever Wills was mentioned. They are in love.”
real life fairytale.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Danishla's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Miami, United States
Posts: 435
Oh thank you so much for this beautiful quote, it brought a smile to my face (after reading the thread on PA and CW), I feel so much better.
__________________
Danishla

The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, . . . .
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 07-14-2011, 04:14 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,500
And many thanks for saying that. There has been so much unnecessary and unwarranted posting against W & K, and silly comparisons .... I just hope all this dies down soon.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 07-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
A cute quote from Kate. She recently spoke about married life at a london charity

real life fairytale.
Thank you for that quote! I think it's obvious that they hit bullseye with this marriage and the BRF has won the jackpot with Catherine as William's wife.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to Los Angeles, CA July 8-10, 2011 Zonk The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 525 07-30-2011 11:59 PM




Popular Tags
belgium brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman pieter van vollenhoven poland president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen fabiola queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:16 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]