The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-16-2011, 09:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilda Thomas View Post
I would presume to say that the reason why the Americans are interested in the British Royal family than any other royals around the world, is the United States of America was once a British colony although centuries have past. The bond still exists.

In the 1800 and early 1900, the wealthy families in the United States seeked husbands for their daughter (in england) especially those with titles like Duke, Earl and Baron. ( eventhough the titled suiters were pennyless) marrying their daughters to an Englishman (was a Feather in ones Cap")

After the Pilgrims set foot in this country and later years there was war between American and England that navel - string was never cut. The first and second world wars proved their love for each other (the greatest Allies). King George 111 lost America to George Washington but we the former colonist are still interested in merry old England and its royals.
Oh yes...and those penniless English familes had their coffers replenished in those marriages. My feeling is that since we were a colony and had many relatives living in England, the ties would be strong. As for the modern relationship, it is mostly political. All we share now is language (sort of), culture (sort of) and declining economies.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:38 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
I think everyone understands what a dresser does. What they're saying is that Kate should at least take one with her to make sure her clothes look right, aren't wrinkled, someone to pack & unpack for her and she doesn't leave anything behind at wherever they are staying. It'd be pretty exhausting going from one event to the next then having to worry about packing & unpacking. There should be someone to at least help them out with that.

I trust Kate to put together some great outfits for the Canada and LA tour. She maybe working with a stylist now in London & putting together some outfits. She may mix & match high street clothes with couture designers (Valentino skirt with a Reiss or H&M top).

I'm sure Kate will look amazing if she continues to follow what she likes to wear and not what the public wants to see.
but what MM is trying to say is that a dresser doesn't do any of the things you mentioned. a dresser is a personal assistant...they don't have anything to do with what catherine wears or how it looks or packing and unpacking. a personal assistant would look after catherine's schedule, her correspondence...more like an administrative assistant or a secretary.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Courtier

Dresser, NOT a Dresser ---Mish/ Mosh, they are rich and royal let them do as they please, hire whom they must!!! What ever they want to call them. As long as they do their bit for Charity/Country and look good doing it ......MY Opinion of course..
Old 06-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Courtier

I have to agree. Let them do as they choose and they will find out what they need for the next tour. If Catherine can make do with embassy personnel and hotel staff then that's fine. Personally, I would not want to trust expensive clothing to an anonymous hotel employee ... but then live and learn. It will be interesting to see what decisions they make for their next tour.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Serene Highness

William & Kate Hold Off On Hiring Servants

From this link, it seems they will have someone to come and clean, but won't be exclusive to their KP' apartment. Someone who's already a member of the BRF staff and every now and then would be relocated.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Actually, the position of "dresser" is that of a wardrobe assistant. HRH Kate needs one of those.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess

but what MM is trying to say is that a dresser doesn't do any of the things you mentioned. a dresser is a personal assistant...they don't have anything to do with what catherine wears or how it looks or packing and unpacking. a personal assistant would look after catherine's schedule, her correspondence...more like an administrative assistant or a secretary.
I believe you've described a personal secretary and I think for that Kate's been using Williams.....I thought the official definition of a 'dresser' was a waredrobe assistant, but not a stylist ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta
Actually, the position of "dresser" is that of a wardrobe assistant. HRH Kate needs one of those.
Yes- thank you!
Old 06-19-2011, 01:12 AM
Courtier

I noticed a hairdresser on the list of staff for the tour. Couldn't help thinking a 'dresser' who's got a flair for hair and could follow Kate around at events and carry the flowers. 'Lady's maid' [from Upstairs Downstairs] might be the terminology.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:02 AM
Nobility

Would not HRH the Duchess of Cambridge 's 'dresser' duties be given to her senior lady-in-waiting? I have read more than once that this particular position requires the touch of HRH's only sister, Miss Phillippa 'Pippa' Middleton. Agree or not, I do think Miss Middleton has a very wonderful sense of almost flamboyant style and fashion. She would have be more conservative in dressing HRH, but would be the right person for the position. To bring a sense of color to sister's wardrobe, Miss Middleton could only improve the Duchess' drab/neutral/navy/black wardrobe. The Duchess IMO, seems to fade into photo's background.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:38 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
Would not HRH the Duchess of Cambridge 's 'dresser' duties be given to her senior lady-in-waiting? I have read more than once that this particular position requires the touch of HRH's only sister, Miss Phillippa 'Pippa' Middleton. Agree or not, I do think Miss Middleton has a very wonderful sense of almost flamboyant style and fashion. She would have be more conservative in dressing HRH, but would be the right person for the position. To bring a sense of color to sister's wardrobe, Miss Middleton could only improve the Duchess' drab/neutral/navy/black wardrobe. The Duchess IMO, seems to fade into photo's background.
Yes I have to agree. Pippa Middleton would be a fine support for Catherine and from what I've read, with her organisational and networking skills would make a very valuable contribution to the Cambridge Team. Not sure if it will happen for a while though... maybe when things settle down more in Pippa's life. After she marries and the living abroad plans are behind her.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi
I've said it before and I'll state it again that I really think that when they are at home on Anglesy, they live off William's pay as a SAR pilot. .
According to this article William receives income from his father from the duchy off Cromwell so.... So prob not just living off solely his RAF salary at all but also have other sources is income.....

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226078098247
Old 06-22-2011, 02:03 AM
Serene Highness

Well, I don't know where to post this, but since it's a sweet article that involves the family relationship I'm posting here :)

Kate Middleton 'adored' by the Queen, reveals Zara Phillips - UK & World News - News - People.co.uk
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
Well, I don't know where to post this, but since it's a sweet article that involves the family relationship I'm posting here :)

Kate Middleton 'adored' by the Queen, reveals Zara Phillips - UK & World News - News - People.co.uk
Thank you for posting this! I have been wondering what The Queen and Prince Phillip thought of Kate. Nice to hear from the inside that they think a lot of her and everyone feels she is perfect for William.

The Queen looks very happy and smiley these days. I think she is thrilled with the outlook of the future and is confident that when she leaves this earth the Monarchy will be in good hands.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
According to this article William receives income from his father from the duchy off Cromwell so.... So prob not just living off solely his RAF salary at all but also have other sources is income.....

Something borrowed fits the bill for Duchess of Cambridge | The Australian
William most likely has multiple streams of income...some provided by his father, his salary and the interest off the money his mother left him. I remember reading that when he turned 25 he could and would receive 600K a year just off the interest from the trust fund. Plus I believe that the Queen Mother and Frances Shand Kydd left him some money as well.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Courtier

It's likely this has already been talked about, but I get so turned around when looking for information here, because it seems to be in a million and one different threads; so if it has been, feel free to point me in the correct direction...

Although he's been created the Duke of Cambridge, William (I'm assuming this here), continues to use Wales as his sir name for work purposes. When they have children, do you suppose the children will use the last name Wales, or Cambridge?
Old 06-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters View Post
Although he's been created the Duke of Cambridge, William (I'm assuming this here), continues to use Wales as his sir name for work purposes. When they have children, do you suppose the children will use the last name Wales, or Cambridge?

William no longer has Wales as his territorial designation. It's very convoluted, but this is how it works:

1. If William and Catherine have children during the Queen's lifetime, their eldest son will be HRH Prince X of Cambridge, while all subsequent children will be Lord/Lady X Mountbatten-Windsor. Letters Patent from 1917 dictate that the style and dignity of Prince of the United Kingdom and the HRH are bestowed in part, on the eldest son of the eldest son of the PoW.

2. If William and Catherine have children during his father's reign, they all will be HRH Prince/Princess X of Cornwall and Cambridge, until such a time as their father is made Prince of Wales, at which point they will have the same titular designation that William had and Harry continues to have. Upon the Queen's death and Charles's accession to the throne, William automatically becomes the Duke of Cornwall (in the UK), which would be added to the dukedom of Cambridge that he already has. George V was very briefly Duke of Cornwall and York after his mother's death, but before he was made Prince of Wales by Edward VII.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 06-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
William no longer has Wales as his territorial designation. It's very convoluted, but this is how it works:

1. If William and Catherine have children during the Queen's lifetime, their eldest son will be HRH Prince X of Cambridge, while all subsequent children will be Lord/Lady X Mountbatten-Windsor. Letters Patent from 1917 dictate that the style and dignity of Prince of the United Kingdom and the HRH are bestowed in part, on the eldest son of the eldest son of the PoW.

2. If William and Catherine have children during his father's reign, they all will be HRH Prince/Princess X of Cornwall and Cambridge, until such a time as their father is made Prince of Wales, at which point they will have the same titular designation that William had and Harry continues to have. Upon the Queen's death and Charles's accession to the throne, William automatically becomes the Duke of Cornwall (in the UK), which would be added to the dukedom of Cambridge that he already has. George V was very briefly Duke of Cornwall and York after his mother's death, but before he was made Prince of Wales by Edward VII.
Thank you for the explanation. Good to know.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Nobility

I thought William and Catherine's children would all be titled HRH Prince/ss X of Cambridge? Just as Prince Andrew's daughters are styled and titled HRH Princess X of York. I didn't realize it just applied to the eldest son
Old 07-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie2006 View Post
I thought William and Catherine's children would all be titled HRH Prince/ss X of Cambridge? Just as Prince Andrew's daughters are styled and titled HRH Princess X of York. I didn't realize it just applied to the eldest son
The difference is that William and Kate's kids would be great-grandchildren of the Queen, not grandchildren, like the York girls.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie2006 View Post
It's because the only great grandchild of the reigning monarch who gets an HRH is the eldest son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales. It's the same reason the children of Dukes of Gloucester and Kent aren't HRHs even though they are the great grandchildren of HM King George V