Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family: Married Life

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
XeniaCasaraghi said:
Is Kate's last name Wales like Williams?

I think they'd use Cambridge now but it's been reported they call each other Mr and Mrs Wales- though technically don't they not have a last name or is it Mountbatten-Windsor?

Last edited:
Local Los Angeles news is speculating that since L.A. is the "Capitol of the Thin-Women-Having-Babies" method (clomid), that the Duchess of Cambridge will, like Angelina Jolie and Julia Roberts, have twins.

They're even talking about the rights of succession of twins. It's gossip, I know, but it's definitely "what's in the air" about the couple's married life as far as West Coast perception goes.

Let's not speculate on a pregnancy announcement. If and when it happens, there will be an official announcement from either Buckingham Palace and/or Clarence House.

Any and all additional posts will be deleted without notice.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

I thought they were all Prince/Princess (William's children).

What if it is a girl and they have no sons?

What if it is a girl and they have no sons?

If you mean in the line of succession then their oldest child would become the Queen at the death of her father. Just like Queen Elizabeth II did.

MM

If they had twins, and the firstborn was a girl and the second was a boy, the boy would rule and the girl would not, unless her brother tied without issue.

Well of course, in England the oldest male child is the heir presumptive. Just like Charles inherited over Anne.

Well of course, in England the oldest male child is the heir presumptive. Just like Charles inherited over Anne.

I rather see a case of "inheriting over" had Charles been the second child and Anne the first. Charles is the oldest child so there was nothing to inherit over.

For some reason I was thinking Anne was older than Charles...my mistake!

I think they'd use Cambridge now but it's been reported they call each other Mr and Mrs Wales- though technically don't they not have a last name or is it Mountbatten-Windsor?

Their surname is Mountbatten-Windsor in all cases a family name is needed. But in most cases of normal life for a prince/princess as well as a peer and the heir of a peer no surname is needed as the title has precedence. Before William was granted his dukedom, he was titled Prince William of Wales thus he was "William Wales" at the army. He decided to stick with that name in his normal live, thus his wife as "Princess William of Wales" is Catherine Wales. Of course they both could go by (the higher Royal ducal title in its shortended form) William and Catherine Cambridge as a peer and his wife.

It's a bit vice-versa of what the Wessexes did with their son James Viscount Severn - instead of calling him "Prince James of Wessex" or "James Wessex" they call him "James Severn" from his courtesy title as his father's heir.

Let's take the example of another ducal family, the premier duke of the UK is the Duke of Norfolk. The family name is Fitzalan-Howard. The secondary title of the duke is Earl of Arundel.

The current duke is Edward Fitzalan-Howard, The 18th Duke of Norfolk. As a short form he uses Edward Norfolk, his wife is Georgina Fitzalan-Howard - The Duchess of Norfolk. She uses Georgina Norfolk as the short form of her name/title.

Their eldest son and his father's heir is Henry Fitzalan-Howard, Earl of Arundel (No "The" here as his father is still "The Earl of Arundel" - just like William is Prince William of Wales while his father is still "The Prince of Wales"). Henry's short form of his name is Henry Arundel. His younger brother is Lord Thomas Fitzalan-Howard. Thomas's short form is Thomas Fitzalan-Howard. So title comes before family name if you have one.

"Mr. and Mrs Wales" of course is a joke, because if William had no title, they would be "Mr. and Mrs. Mountbatten-Windsor".

BTW it is not uncommon in the British aristocracy to continue using the now lower title if you got a higher title through inhertance or Royal grant. The politician Michael Kerr (family name) was born the heir to the Marquess of Lothian, thus getting the title of Earl of Ancram, as this is the secondary title of his father. On becoming a lawyer he dropped the Earl of and used only Michael Ancram as his name, in order not to irritate a jury on being called "My Lord" as well as the actual judge at court. He then became a Member of Parliament, still using just Michael Ancram. When his father died he became The Marquess of Lothian" but instead of switching to "Michael Lothian" he continued as Michael Ancram as long as he was a member of the Commons. Then Her Majesty in 2010 granted him the title of Baron Kerr of Monteviot as a life peer so he could take his seat at the House of Lords (which he couldn't do with his Marquessate after the reform of the Hosue of Lords). But now as a member of the House of Lords he is known as Michael Lothian in short.

Their surname is Mountbatten-Windsor in all cases a family name is needed. But in most cases of normal life for a prince/princess as well as a peer and the heir of a peer no surname is needed as the title has precedence. Before William was granted his dukedom, he was titled Prince William of Wales thus he was "William Wales" at the army. He decided to stick with that name in his normal live, thus his wife as "Princess William of Wales" is Catherine Wales. Of course they both could go by (the higher Royal ducal title in its shortended form) William and Catherine Cambridge as a peer and his wife.

It's a bit vice-versa of what the Wessexes did with their son James Viscount Severn - instead of calling him "Prince James of Wessex" or "James Wessex" they call him "James Severn" from his courtesy title as his father's heir.

Let's take the example of another ducal family, the premier duke of the UK is the Duke of Norfolk. The family name is Fitzalan-Howard. The secondary title of the duke is Earl of Arundel.

The current duke is Edward Fitzalan-Howard, The 18th Duke of Norfolk. As a short form he uses Edward Norfolk, his wife is Georgina Fitzalan-Howard - The Duchess of Norfolk. She uses Georgina Norfolk as the short form of her name/title.

Their eldest son and his father's heir is Henry Fitzalan-Howard, Earl of Arundel (No "The" here as his father is still "The Earl of Arundel" - just like William is Prince William of Wales while his father is still "The Prince of Wales"). Henry's short form of his name is Henry Arundel. His younger brother is Lord Thomas Fitzalan-Howard. Thomas's short form is Thomas Fitzalan-Howard. So title comes before family name if you have one.

"Mr. and Mrs Wales" of course is a joke, because if William had no title, they would be "Mr. and Mrs. Mountbatten-Windsor".

BTW it is not uncommon in the British aristocracy to continue using the now lower title if you got a higher title through inhertance or Royal grant. The politician Michael Kerr (family name) was born the heir to the Marquess of Lothian, thus getting the title of Earl of Ancram, as this is the secondary title of his father. On becoming a lawyer he dropped the Earl of and used only Michael Ancram as his name, in order not to irritate a jury on being called "My Lord" as well as the actual judge at court. He then became a Member of Parliament, still using just Michael Ancram. When his father died he became The Marquess of Lothian" but instead of switching to "Michael Lothian" he continued as Michael Ancram as long as he was a member of the Commons. Then Her Majesty in 2010 granted him the title of Baron Kerr of Monteviot as a life peer so he could take his seat at the House of Lords (which he couldn't do with his Marquessate after the reform of the Hosue of Lords). But now as a member of the House of Lords he is known as Michael Lothian in short.

It's all very confusing. In theory William has years before he is made The Prince of Wales, if indeed that day ever actually comes. But lets just say for arguments sake that when Charles ascends the throne, William is made PoW (as is traditional). His and Catherine's future children will likely be teenagers, will they then change their surnames?

Also, is it likely that because William is the heir to the throne, the Queen will order Letters of Patent (or whatever is needed) to create them HRH's as one day, they will all be the children of the monarch?

I would imagine they would change their surnames if the circumstances changed.

Princess Margaret once remarked (when her father became King in 1936)...I used to be Margaret of York and now I am just Margaret of Nothing.

It is so refreshing to witness this young couple who seem so committed and level headed; I wish them all the happiness and hope they have many children!

A cute quote from Kate. She recently spoke about married life at a london charity
The Duchess of Cambridge has spoken of her incredible happiness at being married. Kate opened her heart at a charity party in London saying she “loved” every minute of her life with Prince William. One guest revealed: “She said she is blissfully happy. Her eyes lit up whenever Wills was mentioned. They are in love.”
real life fairytale.

Oh thank you so much for this beautiful quote, it brought a smile to my face (after reading the thread on PA and CW), I feel so much better.

And many thanks for saying that. There has been so much unnecessary and unwarranted posting against W & K, and silly comparisons .... I just hope all this dies down soon.

Another cute quote from Kate. I think this one is from their trip to LA
"I’m very, very lucky, he looks after me as much as possible."

- Kate speaking about William.
Such a cute one from William
“I am a huge royal fan,” Chandler Rabens, 21, who met the pair said. “I told William he was the luckiest guy in the world because Kate looked so beautiful, and he said, ‘I know!
Found both of them here: william & catherine {a real life fairytale}

Oh and if you ever had a doubt in the world what they were like as boyfriend and girlfriend it was exactly the same just as much love and devotion

See here for Kate's quote: http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_loejgggaE41qld76xo1_400.jpg

Last edited:
Ahhhh. Now that makes sense. Thanks guys! :) So William and Catherine's children (or those who are only styled Lord/Lady) would be elevated to HRH once Charles became King because then they would be the grandchildren of the monarch?

That is correct, Leslie, unless the Queen issues Letters Patent making them HRH in her current reign, to my understanding.

Please note that all posts about the Cambridge's and future children have been deleted as speculative.

If William and Catherine's first child is a girl, what's actually going to happen? The monarchy is supposed to be updating but this outdated tradition hasn't budged.

Kate: Amazon.co.uk: Sean Smith: Books

The BEST book on Kate thus far.

A chapter on Chelsy and what she thinks of Kate. Chelsy's friends spill the beans. Not very complementary. Chelsy talks about the time they both (Kate) attended Peter Phillip's wedding and Kate and William's relationship. Says she has no time for Kate ---- the book explains why. An interesting read where Sean Smith quotes his sources.

If William and Catherine's first child is a girl, what's actually going to happen? The monarchy is supposed to be updating but this outdated tradition hasn't budged.

Then the succession law with either be changed to equal primogenture so said Princess will become Queen - or William will wait to have a boy and his girls will be bumped down.

Lumutqueen said:
Then the succession law with either be changed to equal primogenture so said Princess will become Queen - or William will wait to have a boy and his girls will be bumped down.

But which do you think will actually happen?

Are we not supposed to desist from speculation about the Cambridge children - if any ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom