Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank God. I was a bit worried they might have gone off and selected a name more suitable for a footballer or a soap opera character. George is a great name for a future British monarch. Am only surprised at 3 names and not 4 but that is of no importance.

I like the brevity (ha) of only 3 names but I really did expect Philip to be in there somewhere. Nevertheless, I love the name!

I felt that if it was a boy, it would be named George (due to its history and the fact that it's not in current use in the immediate family). It wasn't my favorite among the options, but anything traditional satisfies me. To me, and probably to many, it doesn't sound like a "young" name at all, but I bet it'll be riding a new wave of popularity now!

I'm most surprised by the middle names, and that they didn't include some of the more obvious choices (e.g. Philip, Charles, or Michael), but maybe rather than trying to include everyone, it was easier to go with a couple of traditional names that still have family significance.

I love the shorter name, although I'm sure it will be unpopular with some. No harm in dragging the monarchy kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

3 names is not exactly an innovation. QEII has only 3 names and her sister had only 2 names. I don't think anyone will be kicking or screaming about this, nor can I see how having 3 names has anything to do with the 21st century.

I felt that if it was a boy, it would be named George (due to its history and the fact that it's not in current use in the immediate family). It wasn't my favorite among the options, but anything traditional satisfies me. To me, and probably to many, it doesn't sound like a "young" name at all, but I bet it'll be riding a new wave of popularity now!

I'm most surprised by the middle names, and that they didn't include some of the more obvious choices (e.g. Philip, Charles, or Michael), but maybe rather than trying to include everyone, it was easier to go with a couple of traditional names that still have family significance.

Good point. It's probably best to include no one than to try to please everyone in the families.

Love the name! Surprised at only 3 instead of 4 and no Philip but maybe they are saving it for the next boy! :winkiss:

A statement from Kensington palace according to people mag says his name Is George Alexander Louis.

Out of the three chosen names, George is the least appealing one. George is so old fashioned and not in a nice way.

Have to disagree. And I too, am a genealogist (though not always amateur).

Viscount Severn is Baby Cambridge's second cousin. Baby Cambridge is Viscount Severn's first cousin once removed. It depends on the point of view of the person speaking/referred to and makes no sense for them to have the same term.

I'm getting a "page deleted" notice for the page you cited, but it would be logical that it addressed the issue of kinship from one person's perspective - the terms are not reciprocal.

My second cousins are my mom's and dad's first cousins. But, I am their first cousin once removed. In either case, we have two degrees of kinship (these are the rules used since antiquity about consanguinity, although the kin terms today in use are relatively new). It's true that such terms can change over time, in which case for awhile there will be no general consensus.
I don't know about the past, but there is a general consensus now, and your view is not the commonly accepted view. You might not agree, but I almost 100% sure that I am right.

Anyway, I am very glad Baby Cambridge has been given a traditional name. I always thought George would be a good name for him. I am surprised he only has three names, though.

I like the name Combination. Louis is Prince William Middle name and Lord Mountbatten Name.

Some asked about Alexander, Alexander is a male version of Alexandra which could be honoring The Queen Great Grandmother Alexandra of Denmark who was the wife of King Edward VII.

Alexandra is also the Queen Middle name.

A little disappointed that they didn't use Phillip or Michael, but it's a nice traditional name. I am glad they didn't make us wait too long for a name though.

I was a little surprised there are only three names but I suspected they would name him George. It just seems so old fashioned, I have a hard time picturing it on a child.

Last edited:
Out of the three chosen names, George is the least appealing one. George is so old fashioned and not in a nice way.
George may seem too old-fashioned to some people, but it's a popular name for little boys in England. (George was #12 in popularity for baby boys born in England and Wales in 2011.)

Perhaps they'll use a nickname when with family...Georgie (while he's little) or something along those lines.

LaRae

I was really really hoping that they wouldn't pick George (it's far too "blah" for my taste... then again it's not my baby), but I'm sure it'll grow on me like Vincent and Josephine have.

I don't know about the past, but there is a general consensus now, and your view is not the commonly accepted view. You might not agree, but I almost 100% sure that I am right.

FYI and OT: the 'first cousin once removed' stuff is often used on bbc in for instance the 'heir hunters' program. I heard it first on bbc tv, but actually from a genealogy point of view it's quite good, because you instantly know what the family relation is and who belongs in which generation... if only i could get the dutch language to use something like that :lol:

That said: love the baby's name, and (although that's not the most important thing) i think HM will be very pleased with the 'George' :flowers: but then i'm sure she'd be pleased with whatever name they'd give him (yeah, maybe not 'North')

I go for Albert

I have read that Albert means noble an bright. Don´t you think that would be a brilliant name for the royal baby. Of course he will be called Bertie! How cute!!

I have read that Albert means noble an bright. Don´t you think that would be a brilliant name for the royal baby. Of course he will be called Bertie! How cute!!

He's already been named - George Alexander Louis

Oh well, seems I overslept the news....so it is George.... how boring! They should have taken the real name of the great-granddad: ALBERT!!!

I'm very pleased indeed with all the names! I like the combination very much and said altogether they flow very nicely.
I do now wonder if they hope to have afew more children in the future in order to use all the other names we like, including Philip, Michael and of-course James!
Naturally, in the hope that Harry marries and has children there will be plenty of scope for names!
Yes, a good, solid, regal name for our Prince George!

This is my private theory. GAL is short for Galahad, which would not have been acceptable. He will always be a shining armor kinda guy to me. ;)

Oh and three names makes it easier on the girl who marries him, one day.

FYI and OT: the 'first cousin once removed' stuff is often used on bbc in for instance the 'heir hunters' program. I heard it first on bbc tv, but actually from a genealogy point of view it's quite good, because you instantly know what the family relation is and who belongs in which generation... if only i could get the dutch language to use something like that :lol:

That said: love the baby's name, and (although that's not the most important thing) i think HM will be very pleased with the 'George' :flowers: but then i'm sure she'd be pleased with whatever name they'd give him (yeah, maybe not 'North')

I'm glad you mentioned that, as I was curious to the use of the terminology in the UK.

As for the name, I think anyone who pays much attention to the British Royal Family isn't surprised at all, but I do see a lot of my friends on Twitter being disappointed that it's boring - I think some people were expecting a celebrity-esque name (perhaps a Prince South, East, or West, lol).

Oh and three names makes it easier on the girl who marries him, one day.
If he doesn't become a homosexual.;) Everything is possible.

I agree that they probably avoided some family names so they don't leave anyone out.

Also IMO Albert is much worse than George. George Alexander Louis is a good name for a prince and future monarch.

My guess is kept. George and Alexander I wrote my forecast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom