The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
I've seen the name Eleanor pop up a few times in this thread.
I like it too, but I like the version that was used in Jane Austen's Sense & Sensibility better: Elinor.

Princess Elinor of Cambridge, yes, that sounds and looks good.
I like that particular name (and spelling) too. The spelling is simple, and makes the name less cluttered, while still allowing it to sound how it was intended. It would be lovely to see them use this name.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
I've seen the name Eleanor pop up a few times in this thread.
I like it too, but I like the version that was used in Jane Austen's Sense & Sensibility better: Elinor.

Princess Elinor of Cambridge, yes, that sounds and looks good.
ooooooh, I like it! elegant, and VERY stately! and that will the other names be???

"People are much like stained glass windows. When the sun is shining through them, they glow brightly and sparkle. But when the sun goes down and it is dark and gloomy outside; Their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within." ~ Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Old 06-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Royal Highness

Given the DoE's illness, I'm thinking Phillip is looking more and more likely for a boy. Perhaps Phillipa or Alice (his mother) for a girl.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Courtier

I would like the Cambridge's daughter to be given FIVE names actually, each with significance:

Alice Elizabeth Philippa Caroline Diana

Alice - Prince Philip's mother (child's g-g-gma)
Elizabeth - after g-gma HM
Philippa - to honour g-gpa Prince Philip and Kate's sister Pippa
Caroline - Kate's mother Carole (child's gma)
Diana - William's mother (child's gma)
Old 06-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Serene Highness

You can do the same type of thing if baby c is a boy

Phillip Peter Michael Charles

2 great grandfathers and 2 grandfathers

Prince Phillip and Peter Middleton had a connection. Mike 's dad was a pilot with Prince Phillip on one Phillips tours in the 60s. Plus they both were WW2 vets. Funny to think that their yet to be grandchildren would marry and produce a future king/queen
Old 06-09-2013, 01:07 AM

Diana would be the first or the second name for a girl.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:18 AM
Aristocracy

Princess Alexandra Marie Elizabeth Diana of Cambridge.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S
Isn´t that what every CP couple should do? We´d have avoided some dissapoints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I certainly wish a certain CP had done that

It wouldn't matter as the monarch may elect to use a different name--Queen Elizabeth elected her own name but had the option to use Alexandra, Mary, or any other name she would have liked. Her father elected to become George VI instead of using King Albert.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

A curiosity: How many names will the children have? 4 seems to be the rule, but it really a rule or just tradition (or even just coincidence)? Could he/she have more (like 5) or less (6)?
Old 06-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think 4 names is just a tradition as Queen Elizabeth only has 3 names. She gave all her children 4 name, and some of them have given their children 4 names, but there is not written rule on the number of names they should have.

I imagine that this child will have 4 names, but you never know!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picmajik View Post
the monarch may elect to use a different name--Queen Elizabeth elected her own name but had the option to use Alexandra, Mary, or any other name she would have liked. Her father elected to become George VI instead of using King Albert.
Anyone can choose to be called whatever they like. It is unusual for a British monarch not to use his/her own first name though. Only three have done so, including Victoria who dropped her first name when she was very young.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post

Anyone can choose to be called whatever they like. It is unusual for a British monarch not to use his/her own first name though. Only three have done so, including Victoria who dropped her first name when she was very young.
While Victoria's first name wasn't Victoria, she had been known previously and publicly as Princess Victoria. Similarly, Edward VII had been known publicly as Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, so he only dropped part of his first name.

Really, only George VI chose to go by something that wasn't his first name or what given name he had been known as by the public (not his family) at least in part. And even then, he went with one of his names, and one that was well known as a monarch's name.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:09 AM
Gentry

I think the baby is probably a boy and I'd predict George as the likeliest first name, since it has a Greek as well as a Windsor connection and hasn't been used recently. My newest prediction: George Philip Charles Michael. Alternately, George William Charles Michael. Arthur would be my other choice, but it may be too old fashioned and Victorian.

For a girl, my best guess is still Alice, though I think Victoria or Elizabeth are also good possibilities. Elizabeth is a family name on both sides and Victoria is supposedly a favorite name. My guess: Alice Elizabeth Diana Carole or Victoria Elizabeth Diana Carole. The names of both grandmothers will definitely be included.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Gentry

Princess of Cambridge=Catherine Elizabeth Alexandra Francis
Prince of Cambridge=Arthur Phillip Charles Francis

Diana and Michael Middleton's middle name is Francis.

I think a reminder of these days when this child is Monarch would be nice, so I honor it's great grandparents in both names and in a way that is not to explosive I honor Diana with Francis but with a nod to Michael as well.

To honor the Queen Mother I think it would be nice when baby Catherine is Queen to call her mother Queen Catherine, Queen Mother and I say in the same way she could be King Mother when Arthur is King.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestocking View Post
I think the baby is probably a boy and I'd predict George as the likeliest first name, since it has a Greek as well as a Windsor connection and hasn't been used recently. My newest prediction: George Philip Charles Michael. Alternately, George William Charles Michael. Arthur would be my other choice, but it may be too old fashioned and Victorian.

For a girl, my best guess is still Alice, though I think Victoria or Elizabeth are also good possibilities. Elizabeth is a family name on both sides and Victoria is supposedly a favorite name. My guess: Alice Elizabeth Diana Carole or Victoria Elizabeth Diana Carole. The names of both grandmothers will definitely be included.
See now I think they WILL choose Arthur in the child's name as both Charles and William both have the name in their names. It would be continuing tradition.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Royal Highness

Prince George Philip Arthur Francis

Princess Alexandra Mary Elizabeth Caroline
Old 06-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofMontpelier View Post
To honor the Queen Mother I think it would be nice when baby Catherine is Queen to call her mother Queen Catherine, Queen Mother and I say in the same way she could be King Mother when Arthur is King.
She would be Queen Mother anyway.

Queen mother means "Queen who is mother to the current Monarch", not "mother of the Queen"
Old 06-13-2013, 05:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
See now I think they WILL choose Arthur in the child's name as both Charles and William both have the name in their names. It would be continuing tradition.
I also think Arthur will be in the mix: George VI was Albert Frederick Arthur George, so there's already three generations going.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofMontpelier View Post

A Queen Mother is a former Queen Consort who is the mother of the next monarch regardless of that monarchs gender. While she may become a King's mother she would still be Queen Mother. There is no such title as King Mother.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Royal Highness

I too think that Arthur will be in the name, with George VI, Charles and William all having it somewhere in there, I'll be almost disappointed if Baby Cambridge is a boy and he wont receive the name. I think it's a lovely tradition.

I still have my hopes up for either Alexander or Arthur, or Matilda or Eleanor as a first name for Baby Cambridge. I'm certain that a boy will have Philip in the name and I think it would be lovely if a girl had Philippa as one of her names. Alternatively, they could also pay tribute to Philip's side of the family by putting Alice in there for his mother, but I still hope for Philippa to be used.

Closed Thread