The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 02:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
He was on a plane headed to Iceland. Not to diminish his death, but he was not killed going to fight anything. He had his problems, but I think he was a good man, and how the family perceived this, I do not know. My husband's first name is George, never called that and he hates it, but a family name just the same.

He was in the military, in a war, flying an airforce plane, on a military mission - that is KIA - as he was undertaking a military mission during a war.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:49 AM

It seems to honor the four monarchs who will have reigned before him: George VI, Elizabeth (Alexandra) II, and Louis for both Charles and William. Louis honors them both because it was the name of Charles's favorite Uncle and it's one of William's middle names. If they had continued the progression for two more names, he could have been Victor Edward George Alexander Louis.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
It seems to honor the four monarchs who will have reigned before him: George VI, Elizabeth (Alexandra) II, and Louis for both Charles and William. Louis honors them both because it was the name of Charles's favorite Uncle and it's one of William's middle names. If they had continued the progression for two more names, he could have been Victor Edward George Alexander Louis.
He wouldn't have needed to add Victor to cover Victoria - one of her names was Alexandrina.

Really, his names cover every monarch since George I except William IV and Edward VII.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:29 AM
Courtier

Mmm, can't say that I like the name very much.
Alexander is nice though.

Louis in Charles' and William's name seemed a given because of the favourite uncle Louis Mountbatten. But I wouldn't think William would use it for his son.
Maybe they just really like the name or would Louis Spencer be one of the godparents.

Are the godparents announced before the christening? What's the tradition on that?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:31 AM
Majesty

Louis isn't one of Charles' names - Charles Philip Arthur George.

Louis is in Prince Edward's name - Edward Antony Richard Louis and also in William's. Louis is a very strong name in the Mountbatten family and although this is the BRF it is also part of the Mountbatten family through Philip.

Godparents will be announced when they are announced but either just before or on the day of the christening.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:52 AM
Royal Highness

And the fourth of the Princess Royal's names is also Louise.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:29 AM
Royal Highness

Godparents
Prince Harry
James Middleton
Pippa Middleton
Prince Pavlos of Greece
Zara Philips
Old 07-25-2013, 06:31 AM
Majesty

I think there will a few friends rather than all the obvious family members and I don't think James Middleton will be a godparent of this child - Harry and Pippa are given - Pavlos or another Greek - maybe a cousin and then a friend of Kate's and a friend of William's and even an older person maybe and older relative such as one of William's uncles or aunt.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:34 AM
Courtier

Alexander would have been a better first name. George sounds so old..
Anyway, his parents choice..So its good enough..
Old 07-25-2013, 07:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think James Middleton is a more likely choice for godparent than Pippa, since Pippa's been a bridesmaid for the Royal Wedding.
(So now James should get a turn).

Probably Harry, and at least one close friend for the third godfather.

Zara may very well be godmother, or perhaps Sophie Wessex?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:22 AM
Majesty

I keep reading the 'George is an old name' or whatever so I asked the principal at out school how many George's we had - just to get a feeling as I know that I teach quite a few and he just emailed me the figures.

956 students, 558 boys, 78 George's, 5 Alexanders and 3 Louis - so 14% of our male students are George (only David and Peter are more popular at our school). So quite a number of parents have been using George over the last 2 decades - our students are aged 5 - 18.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:55 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I keep reading the 'George is an old name' or whatever so I asked the principal at out school how many George's we had - just to get a feeling as I know that I teach quite a few and he just emailed me the figures.

956 students, 558 boys, 78 George's, 5 Alexanders and 3 Louis - so 14% of our male students are George (only David and Peter are more popular at our school). So quite a number of parents have been using George over the last 2 decades - our students are aged 5 - 18.
I like the name George I think its a good name and quite popular these days. I like that its hard to shorten and rhyme to as well should keep future headlines simple
Old 07-25-2013, 07:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Uh, what about "Georgie Porgy, puddin' and pie; kissed the girls and made them cry." I'm sure he'll hear that one often enough. LOL
Old 07-25-2013, 08:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
And the fourth of the Princess Royal's names is also Louise.
And we have Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor.

Louis/Louise are popular names for the Windor's.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:13 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Uh, what about "Georgie Porgy, puddin' and pie; kissed the girls and made them cry." I'm sure he'll hear that one often enough. LOL
true but that will be it and it will have to be in context
Old 07-25-2013, 10:49 AM
Courtier

Catherine and William have made it clear that they want the Middletons to be very involved with the baby, so I think they will ask at least Carole to be a godparent. I believe that they may ask Prince Charles, too. He will certainly be very involved with preparing George for his royal role.

The other godparents will probably include William and Catherine's close circle of friends, including friends who are also relatives. I can see them asking Prince Harry, Zara,r Peter, James or Pippa.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Heir Apparent

From Royal Reporter, re Charles using George as regnal name.

Prince George is likely to become King George VII in time.Clarence House categorically denied rumours Charles would call himself King George

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-25-2013, 11:11 AM
Serene Highness

Why would a grandmother also be a godparent?
Old 07-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
King George VI was one of Charles's godparents. ETA: Queen Mary was also a godparent.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
A lot of royals have grandparents as godparents. As I remember, Prince Felipe, Leonor and Infanta Sofia, Ingrid Alexandra and Sverre Magnus... I don't know regarding the British Royal Family, but I think it already happened in the past.