The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I think they'd be less likely to use the name Spencer than anything else; (I don't believe the animosity between the Windsors and the Spencers has diminished).

I hope they do choose James; I much prefer that to George.
Besides, I think they might want a Scottish name.
I don't know how much animosity there is, but I think Spencer would be a good middle name. It's appropriate for William to honor his mother and I personally like Spencer better than Francis. But I think they would only use Spencer (or Francis) if they also used Charles. The same with the name Michael. I think they would only use it if the names also included Charles. At least I hope so. I would hate to see the headlines if they honored Diana and Catherine's father, but not Charles.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:58 AM
Courtier

I don't see Spencer being used for a variety of reasons (most already mentioned): using surnames as given names tends to be much more of an American thing (and at the very least, doesn't seem happen in the royal family. Also, there are the family issues. When I think of Spencer in this context, the current Earl Spencer is who springs first to my mind, rather than Diana. I think Francis is more likely to be included, because in addition to being the male version of Diana's middle name, it is also Michael Middleton's middle name - so you'd have two of the grandparents covered with that.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kathleen View Post
Viscount Severn is Baby Cambridge's first cousin, once removed. Baby Cambridge is Viscount Severn's first cousin, once removed. I've been an amateur genealogist for a long time and that is how their relationship would be described by genealogists (at least all the genealogists I've heard/read). It is a common misconception that the children of one's first cousins are one's second cousins.

Genealogy.com: What is a First Cousin, Twice Removed?
Have to disagree. And I too, am a genealogist (though not always amateur).

Viscount Severn is Baby Cambridge's second cousin. Baby Cambridge is Viscount Severn's first cousin once removed. It depends on the point of view of the person speaking/referred to and makes no sense for them to have the same term.

I'm getting a "page deleted" notice for the page you cited, but it would be logical that it addressed the issue of kinship from one person's perspective - the terms are not reciprocal.

My second cousins are my mom's and dad's first cousins. But, I am their first cousin once removed. In either case, we have two degrees of kinship (these are the rules used since antiquity about consanguinity, although the kin terms today in use are relatively new). It's true that such terms can change over time, in which case for awhile there will be no general consensus.

At any rate, I wish they'd just name this baby! Can someone say how this announcement is likely to be made?

The young couple is honoring his mother in so many ways, they don't need to name the baby after everyone - and I don't think they'll use Spencer. But they might. At this point, I suspect they're getting a bit tired pondering things.

He may end up seeming like a Nicholas or an Alexander to them, and I doubt they'll go past four names - anyone think there's a possibility of five?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Actually, based on current looks, the name ought to be Prince Snugglychops Cutiepie Squeezybear, maybe with George added at the end.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Gentry

That's the most apt name, based on his looks alone!

And if his looks hold steady, he'll reign as HM King Cutiepie.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Duchess View Post

Dunno about that. I think King Combat Wombat has a good ring to it.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-24-2013, 12:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Duchess View Post

That will be interesting when he meets with other heads of state or opens parliament :)
Old 07-24-2013, 12:38 PM
Serene Highness

King Cutiepie it is!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:38 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lea
Would they consider Victor? Could honor Queen Victoria with that name.
Victor could be a possibility, but I think as a middle name rather than a first name. As well as Queen Victoria, Victor could also honour Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Avondale; the eldest son of Edward VII and Queen Alexandra. I quite like the name, and it hasn't been used in the Royal Family since Prince Albert Victor and I don't think was used before him.

But I think Baby Cambridge looks like a George.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-24-2013, 12:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I love the name George. And after all, the little one's great-great-grandfather was a wonderful King.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
I love the name George. And after all, the little one's great-great-grandfather was a wonderful King.
I agree, The last Two Georges (V and VI) were Good Kings! Hopefully if they do name it George peoples dont think of George III but most that the Queen Grandfather was named George.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm still holding out for a David/Alexander or both in there!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Just looking over Catherine's family tree and seeing some names common in British royalty: Charles, William, Frederick, George, richard, James and Peter. Also a couple of John's which there have been a couple that I know of.

I also saw a Benjamin which IMO is a lovely name but I'm not sure how likely it would be.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Heir Apparent

I like Benjamen too but I wonder how likely that would be...can't imagine it's on the radar.

LaRae
Old 07-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Dunno about that. I think King Combat Wombat has a good ring to it.
Oh this is too much for me - all this baby talk is getting me broody now - I wanna wombat!! Too many names to think of aswell....making me
Old 07-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm still holding out for a Prince Phillip of Cambridge! I do so love the DOE!
Phillip Michael Charles Henry
We'll use George and James the next go around if it's a boy. And Alexander is nice too, but a little to Russian for me.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Courtier

Just pointing out that Philip would be spelled with one "l" not two, if meant to pay homage to the DoE.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Charlie Cambridge - has a nice ring and King Charles works as well.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

All this name game foolishness makes we wish we had the Danish tradition where all kings could alternate between 2 names (Henry & Edward) and all Queens also alternate between 2 names (say Mary & Elizabeth).
Old 07-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Serene Highness

This speculation could go on a long time so I think I'll cool my thoughts on this. But I've learned some history from talking about historical names. I hope for something off the recently beaten track, from the Way Back Machine or the I Love This Name machine, not merely tradition. And what name they love is not really known.

Closed Thread