Death and Funeral of King Michael, 5th & 16th December 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes a Nassau and a Bourbon-Parma. So with some stretch both Houses are represented. Like Georg Friedrich: from Prussia, but at the same time a Hohenzollern.

The Prince of Wales is going? He’s a second cousin to the king.

Last edited:
Former Prince Nicholas and his fiancée mingled in the midst of people waiting to bid farewell to King Michael outside the Royal Palace in Bucharest. His gesture was recognized and received with the sympathy of the people outside the Palace, where the coffin of the King is located. Nicholas and Alina-Maria read the messages that Romanians had left on the fence of the Royal Palace in tribute to their late king.

With patience, the former Prince Nicholas listened carefully to the stories of the people who had lived through the times when history stubbornly tried to wipe away from its pages the deeds of King Michael.

The King's grandson did not talk to the press. One of the people who came to pay tribute to the sovereign managed to get a promise from the former Prince. Asked by an elderly man when Nicholas will return to Romania, the former prince replied: "I cannot say publicly right now, but I will come back."

People conveyed condolences, some of them with tears in their eyes. Some told Nicholas that their hope is better and that they believe he will reign one day, and others told him that he looks like King Ferdinand.

Former Prince Nicholas thanked those who came to pay a last tribute to King Michael. Along with the Royal Family, former Prince Nicholas will mourn for forty days, during which he will make no public statements.

Sources:
Video Fostul principe Nicolae, la Palatul Regal | Stiriletvr.ro - Site-ul de stiri al TVR
Fostul principe Nicolae a venit la Palatul Regal | Romania Libera

His attitude would be certainly very appreciated by many. He was among His people and he know how much the people loved his royal grandfather.

Yes a Nassau and a Bourbon-Parma. So with some stretch both Houses are represented. Like Georg Friedrich: from Prussia, but at the same time a Hohenzollern.

Queen Anne had close contacts with some of the sisters of Grand Duke Jean when they were all younger. In her memoirs, the Queen also recalled the kindness of her Aunt Charlotte and Uncle Felix in the past. Princess Anne de Ligne, the daughter of Princess Alix of Luxembourg, is to be among the mourners on Saturday.

Although they will not be present this weekend, a large floral arrangement from Michael and Angelica Kreuger appeared along the fence of the Royal Palace in Bucharest.

Michael and Angelica are the children of Princess Irina of Romania. Extremely private people, they found a way to express how much their grandfather meant to them.

A discreet and moving tribute.

Thank you to Roxana Iordache for sharing these images...

Attachments

• 25299680_2028176294084543_1955491424176001338_o.jpg
    25299680_2028176294084543_1955491424176001338_o.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 25299894_2028176290751210_8125140973489146551_o.jpg
    25299894_2028176290751210_8125140973489146551_o.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 25395022_2028176287417877_4326547620642287707_o.jpg
    25395022_2028176287417877_4326547620642287707_o.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 103
Former Prince Nicholas thanked those who came to pay a last tribute to King Michael. Along with the Royal Family, former Prince Nicholas will mourn for forty days, during which he will make no public statements.
Thanks for the information. Only the quoted bit is a little peculiar since Nicholas has been posting on his facebook page over the last few days (about being refused entry to the church in Lausanne, for example). So, what does he consider a public statement? And are these statements related to his 'cause'?

So, is this a new policy that came about because he has been allowed to be fully involved in the mourning of the king?

So obviously they won't attend the Funeral. This means 5 o the descendants of the King won't be present.

Thanks for the information. Only the quoted bit is a little peculiar since Nicholas has been posting on his facebook page over the last few days (about being refused entry to the church in Lausanne, for example). So, what does he consider a public statement? And are these statements related to his 'cause'?

So, is this a new policy that came about because he has been allowed to be fully involved in the mourning of the king?

Actually, as I addressed earlier (and perhaps in another thread), Nicholas only has one personal Facebook profile. The one named "Nicolae de Roumanie Medforth Mills - Sustinatorii nepotului Regelui" does not belong to him. I am not sure that his personal profile is able to be found via search. I did try to find it when I was logged out of Facebook, but it does not show up. His personal page is simply "Nicholas de Roumanie" and it bears the "blue check" verified symbol, as do other Facebook profiles of certain people. He has made no personal statements on it since the day the King died.

I do think he may have control over the formerly official "Principele Nicolae al Romaniei" page, but it is rarely utilised.

Last edited:
Although they will not be present this weekend, a large floral arrangement from Michael and Angelica Kreuger appeared along the fence of the Royal Palace in Bucharest.

Michael and Angelica are the children of Princess Irina of Romania. Extremely private people, they found a way to express how much their grandfather meant to them.

A discreet and moving tribute.

Thank you to Roxana Iordache for sharing these images...

I don't know if the King has met his great-grandchildren ever or at least in his last month of his life.

I don't know if the King has met his great-grandchildren ever or at least in his last month of his life.

The king and queen did meet their granddaughter and her husband with at least one of their daughters several years ago in Switzerland. The visit was private.

Has the King ever met his great-grandson too?

Actually, as I addressed earlier (and perhaps in another thread), Nicholas only has one personal Facebook profile. The one named "Nicolae de Roumanie Medforth Mills - Sustinatorii nepotului Regelui" does not belong to him. I am not sure that his personal profile is able to be found via search. I did try to find it when I was logged out of Facebook, but it does not show up. His personal page is simply "Nicholas de Roumanie" and it bears the "blue check" verified symbol, as do other Facebook profiles of certain people. He has made no personal statements on it since the day the King died.

I do think he may have control over the formerly official "Principele Nicolae al Romaniei" page, but it is rarely utilised.

Thanks for the explanation. I hadn't checked the page myself (have seen his personal page in the past - didn't check the recent messages so didn't realize they were on a different page); just read about it here. Should have verified.

Last edited:
King Juan Carlos , Queen Sofia and Prince Nikolaos arrive to pay their respects to the late King Mihai inside the former Royal Palace that houses the National Arts Museum, where the coffin of the late King is displayed in Bucharest, on December 15, 2017.

http://3.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:130492771:1800x650:w?v=59e8859b&m=mbdoogao
http://0.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:130492770:1800x650:w?v=59e8859b&m=cajeflld

Grand Duke Henri

http://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:130492997:1800x650:w?v=59e8859b&m=bheigfcf

Romanian live TV

https://t.co/WmQlZ69tul

Last edited by a moderator:
HIRH Archduchess Maria-Madeleine of Habsburg-Tuscany about her late cousin King Mihai:

I continue to find the footage and images from Romania extremely touching; the queues waiting to pay their respects, people of all ages clutching flags and photographs, expressions of silent reverence. So many faces suggest that the people themselves did not expect to be moved in this way, or are trying to understand - or maybe accept - the depth of their attachment to their King.
The older men with tears in their eyes and elderly ladies struggling to kneel before the coffin touch me particularly.

Margareta spent time outside with the public today and looked at the tributes and flowers left in homage at the railings. She must be so astounded and moved at this very beautiful homage. We saw Nicholas do the same yesterday and perhaps the other members of the family have done so as well. I wish them all strength for tomorrow.

I hope to start a new chapter for the Royal family of Romania. And the Royal family stay together. I liked seeing the pictures of Margaretha and Nicolae with the people.

The Mass with Requiem for the King at Saint Joseph Catholic Cathedral in Bucharest was presided by HE Monsignor Ioan Robu, Roman-Catholic Metropolitan of Bucharest. HE Archbishop Buendia, Apostolic Nuncio, HE Monsignor Mihai Fratila, Greek-Catholic Bishop of Bucharest, and HE Monsignor Cornel Damian, Roman-Catholic Auxiliary Bishop of Bucharest, concelebrated.
The members of the King's Family attended the Mass. The Cathedral was packed and the music beautiful. A very touching and spiritual moment.

Last edited:
I hope to start a new chapter for the Royal family of Romania. And the Royal family stay together. I liked seeing the pictures of Margaretha and Nicolae with the people.

I hope so, too, very deeply. May the family reconcile, for their own solace and so that the present (Margareta) and the future (Nicolas) of the house is safeguarded against the machinations of the royal house's opponents and so that the King's legacy can grow.

These last days, Romanians have shown that there is a place in their hearts and in their society for the King and his family. I cannot remember a former King ever having been honoured in this way by so many, though, to be fair, many societies did not have the freedom to pay tribute to former Kings who have died since WW2. King Michael was, also, an exceptional man with an exceptional destiny.

Why Michael and Angelica didn't arrive?

Videos about the Catholic Mass with Requiem for the King at Saint Joseph Cathedral in Bucharest being present the members of the King's Family:

http://stirileprotv.ro/stiri/actualitate/recviem-pentru-majestatea-sa.html

Nicholas and Alina de Roumanie Medforth Mills attended also today an Orthodox ceremony for the King at Precupetii Vechi church in Bucharest. The event was organised by the royalists of the Movement for Kingdom and Crown:

https://www.flux24.ro/foto-nicolae-cu-monarhisti-anti-margaretaduda-la-o-biserica-din-bucuresti/

Last edited:
I was really sad to see Princess Margareta crying when the King's plane arrived. It shows that royals are humans, like the rest of us, but really made me sad.

At least it's heartening to see such an outpouring of support for such a great man.

Why can't we in the United States have a leader like King Michael?

Wow, its amazing looking at the photos. The emotions leap from the page :sad:

Margareta is so emotional. Hard time for the entire family. I hope in some way this can help bring them back together. Happy unlike their mother's, they are all there for Michael's funeral.

He obviously was loved by the public as well. The photos I have seen of the public there seems a lot of real grief over his loss.

Definitely a transition period in Romania.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another link to the watch the funeral of King Michael, which has begun:

Another link to the watch the funeral of King Michael, which has begun:

I am impressed and surprised to see a republic give such a state funeral to a former (deposed) monarch ! That just highlights the ambiguity over the current status of the Royal House in Romania.

I am also surprised by the large amount of people that turned out to pay their respects to the late King. More than some reinging monarchies would see perhaps.

I noticed that the Prince of Prussia is walking with the closest family behind the coffin. A tribute to the Hohenzollern roots of the family.

It is a very worthy farewell to the king.

HRIH Prince George of Prussia,Head of the House of Hohenzollern, was with the King's Family at the Royal Palace, at the ceremony in front of the Royal Palace and in procession from the Royal Palace to the Orthodox Cathedral. Nobody forgot that the King was born as a Prince of Hohenzollern.

Back
Top Bottom