Death and Funeral of King Michael, 5th & 16th December 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To Romanian royal watchers: where we can watch live CP's speech?

The Royal Family of Serbia has sent their condolences and deepest sympathy to Crown Princess Margarita and the entire Romanian Royal Family.

Nicholas has made many posts of the death of his grandfather to his Facebook
One of these
"Today, Romania lost its King and one of Europe's greatest leaders of the twentieth century, symbol of debt to its country.
My grandfather was the ruler who really loved his country and his people!
Today, I lost my best friend, my grandfather, but I consider myself a lucky man because I had the privilege of being raised and formed by him, with his duty to the country and the promise that I will always try to make him proud of me.
Grandpa, I will miss you and I will not forget that you have taught me about real, immortal values over time.
Rest in peace!"

Nicholas writes at his Facebook also, that he will attend at the funeral of his grandfather.
"The grandson of the King will attend the funeral of His Majesty."
https://www.facebook.com/PrincipeleNicolaealRomaniei/timeline?ref=page_internal

Nicholas has made many posts of the death of his grandfather to his Facebook

One of these

"Today, Romania lost its King and one of Europe's greatest leaders of the twentieth century, symbol of debt to its country.

My grandfather was the ruler who really loved his country and his people!

Today, I lost my best friend, my grandfather, but I consider myself a lucky man because I had the privilege of being raised and formed by him, with his duty to the country and the promise that I will always try to make him proud of me.

Grandpa, I will miss you and I will not forget that you have taught me about real, immortal values over time.

Rest in peace!"

Nicholas writes at his Facebook also, that he will attend at the funeral of his grandfather.

"The grandson of the King will attend the funeral of His Majesty."

https://www.facebook.com/PrincipeleNicolaealRomaniei/timeline?ref=page_internal

Oh God, I hope his aunts and mother are okay with that.... say what you want about the divide in the House of Romania, I hope Nicholas doesn’t cause a scene at his grandfather’s funeral.

RIP
Sincere condoleances to the romanian RF and monarchists

"According to the Legal Norms of the Royal House of Romania, signed by His Majesty King Michael I of Romania, succession to the title of King or Queen will come to Crown Princess Margareta, as King Michael decided in 2007"

This was included below Her Royal Highness' translation of her speech on the Romanian news channels. Does the Crown Princess now intend to use that title?

Oh God, I hope his aunts and mother are okay with that.... say what you want about the divide in the House of Romania, I hope Nicholas doesn’t cause a scene at his grandfather’s funeral.
The right thing to do is to let him come and say his goodbyes. That doesn't mean they have to speak to each other.

Last edited:
Indeed I hope Nicholas will be invited to the funeral and some form of reconciliation can be achieved. I don't imagine he will cause a scene at such a solemn and sad time for the family.

It is often said a funeral can bring out the worst I people, but in this instance it should bring out the best.

"According to the Legal Norms of the Royal House of Romania, signed by His Majesty King Michael I of Romania, succession to the title of King or Queen will come to Crown Princess Margareta, as King Michael decided in 2007"

This was included below Her Royal Highness' translation of her speech on the Romanian news channels. Does the Crown Princess now intend to use that title?

While a former reigning monarch is still alive, it is customary for him/her to retain the title of King/Queen (as in the case of King Michael or King Constantine for example) , but that is not the case for a pretender who has never been a legal sovereign before. Therefore, I don't think it would be appropriate for CP Margareta to call herself "Queen". What do you guys think ?

Alexander of Serbia is Prince.
Margareta will remain Princess
Pavlos will remain Prince
Maria is Grand Duchess.
Kardam's Son will remain Prince.
Time of Monarchies is over in these Countries.

This is a time for the Romanian RF to pull together and not fragment even further,I hope Nicholas is invited and with his family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNLWkyIdS6
At 13.23.05, Romanian TV broke the news of the death of the King (minute 23:05 in the broadcast)

Pro TV marked the passing of His late Majesty, King Michael, for their news broadcast this evening in a very dignified and emotional way. Although the news of the demise of the King was expected, it is a very sad moment for the Royal Family and the Romanian nation, but in grief, there is such potential for reconciliation, and one can only hope the RF marks the passing of the King and enters the future era in a unified way.

We should all be thankful for the long life of the King, and may all who grieve find solace and gratitude in that we were granted his presence for all these years.

The King is dead, long live the Crown Princess and the entire Royal Family!

Last edited:
Very sad. King Michael is surely first among the saints in Heaven.

From Euronews :Death of H.M.The King

Truly sad. And unfortunately it has occurred less than three weeks before Christmas, which is a most joyous occasion.
:advent::advent::advent::advent::advent::advent::advent::advent:

sad occasion given all the drama surrounding his grandchild lately. i am however amazed, michael was 96 years old. he looked a lot younger.

The Romanian Nation know that this very last Royal Event Event will be broadcast in whole Europa.

While a former reigning monarch is still alive, it is customary for him/her to retain the title of King/Queen (as in the case of King Michael or King Constantine for example) , but that is not the case for a pretender who has never been a legal sovereign before. Therefore, I don't think it would be appropriate for CP Margareta to call herself "Queen". What do you guys think ?

It's highly unlikely that Margareta will use the style of Queen, I think. She will be Crown Princess Margareta I in the same way that the Princes of Albania and Montenegro, who were were born after their respective countries had ditched the monarchy, use the title. Crown Prince Alexander of Serbia was the legal heir to an existing throne at birth, so his situation is slightly different.

This is a time for the Romanian RF to pull together and not fragment even further,I hope Nicholas is invited and with his family.

I too hope that this moment will serve as a way for the family to move closer together and that BOTH Nicholas and the Princesses are able to set aside their disputes to honour the King in a fitting manner.

The Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece in his official twitter account has written this message: " King Michael of Romania has died at 96 An uncle of mine He was a peaceful and kind man who helped save thousands in His country prior to end of WWII May he Rest In Peace Αιωνία του η μνήμη"

Mbruno, Indeed, she will have the title of Princess. The title of King or queen is acquired if the "throne" is restored and ascends to it. That is, if she becomes in Head of State being Romania a state with a monarchical political form. the titles of Queen, would be maintained for life, even when the status ceases to be active.

Last edited:
I really doubt it unfortunately....things have gone so far recently :sad:

HM is truly at peace now and with his beloved Queen Anne. I too would hope that Nicholas at least be allowed to attend the funeral/memorials, but with this family I wouldn't be surprised if he were denied. If that happens, it's a petty and shameful act.

I'm afraid that the Duke of Edinburgh won't be able to attend the funeral of his childhood friend (Mihai and Anne met at his wedding with the then princess Elizabeth). Hopefully they have been able to stay in touch over these last years as well while getting older - even though it might have been quite some time ago since they last met.

I am glad to think that King Michael is now at peace. He was an honorable man who suffered greatly.
For those who are interested, you can find on YouTube "War Stories, an interview with King Michael, by Colonel North". An incredible story; an incredible life.

Back
Top Bottom