The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipper
it's obvious that he learnt Arabic from his mum's relatives, e.g. his granny, uncles etc.
Yes,this is what I meant,didn't mean that his mother is the one who taught him but because of her nationality/roots,he managed to gain the Pal accent from her relatives-Haya has a Pal accent too.

Quote:
maybe Hashim and Hamzah learnt Arabic from private teachers as well as they learnt Classical Arabic, do u think Iman and Raiyah can speak Arabic or at least understand it, i'm sure they can't, I heard them speaking English, their accent was strong American, more than their mum's, which is so strong, too-
Not sure about them.Once Iman was walking with Princess Muna's father,forgot the name,Abdullah was walking infront of them,later he said to Iman :"what do you think?" it was an opening ceremony for something.I thought it was because his grandfather was with her but again in some parachuting event,he said to her :"you did a good job,well done".My guess is that Iman and Rayah can understand arabic but don't speak it or at least,not with each other.They spend more time with Noor who's arabic isn't good.I saw Noor in a short interview with Future tv,Lebanon,about Jersh,she couldn't speak one word of arabic,didn't had to be classic,Jo and Lebanese accent kind of the same,not much but close.She spoke in english and french,at first in french but said later on that her french is horrible and switched to english.Both spend much time with her,in US,no contact with so many arabs so I think they can't or don't.Even the rest don't address each other with arabic.Once Faisal,Abdullah and Aisha were patronizing something,they were looking at something in the Vitrina when I heard Faisal saying :"This is massive" and Aisha said:"Yes,it's terrific".Heard Ali and Hamzah speak to each other in English.

Old 01-12-2005, 11:37 PM
Aristocracy

i thought read on this forum that when haya was packed off to boarding school, an arabic tutor accompanied her. maybe ali was the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorja Fox
I believe Hashim and Hamzah did attend schools in Amman,till the age of 12 I guess-not sure,maybe this is why their arabic is strong and excellent.Faisal and Abdullah did attend it but till the age of 5 or 6,their arabic is horrible.In one of KH documentaries,Faisal and Abdullahs’ arabic was described as a rusty one.Maybe to avoid this with the other kids,he kept them in Jordan for a longer while till they studied abroad.The result turned out to be excellent.In Faisal,Abduallah,Hashem and Hamzahs' case,they got a Jordanian accent because of the ppl surrounding them,they whether have spoken in english or the Jordanian accent,neither of Muna and Noor know arabic or if they do,they don’t speak it with a Jo accent.Ali has arabic/pal relativesv to learn from,that's why he speaks arabic with a pal/jo accent,the rest had foreign mothers so the only source they had,for arabic was the Jordanian accent.I heard Hamzah speaks Beduin too.

Old 01-13-2005, 01:15 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipi Tombe
i thought read on this forum that when haya was packed off to boarding school, an arabic tutor accompanied her. maybe ali was the same.
Could be,am just saying the things I think/heard/know.Her arabic is excellent,read plenty of her articles-can't wait for the book-she is capable of her language.KH had an arabic tutor,maybe felt the same for his kids,except Faisal and Abdullah.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:18 AM
Aristocracy

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by suria
no he attended arabic school (Alkolyh Al3lmyh Alislamyeh) the same school of KA and PF sure he has a lot of arabic friends even if QA's family were in Europe they must be talking like a PAL and i think even if PA didn't live with his mothr he is trying to do things shows that he has a mother which is QA .Once when the coach of the national team died this was a day after his mother anniversary he said ( i was visiting my mother grave when they told me that the coach died i felt so sad ......) so he mentioned this and his mother death even their as no connection so he will talk a little bit like his mother even if she is died
yeah, he does it on purpose to feel close to his late mum, anyway, he attended a school in UK from age 14 to 18-so, I bet his English must be very British, like Hamzah's- and he also had a British nanny. any of them had 1, all the 7 youngest kids- I wish I could buy the original VHS of Royal Tour where Ali talks for a long time in English-
Old 01-13-2005, 05:24 AM
Nobility

The language skills of the younger members of the JRF.

Hamzah speaks good Arabic. His English is fluent but surprisingly for someone with an American mother, his accent is neither British nor American, but Arab. In fact he sounds a lot like his father, either naturally or he has cultivated it so. Both Haya and Hamzah benefited from the Arabic tutors that Prince Hassan sent with his children when they went to boarding school. He himself made no arrangments for his other children, in Britain or the US. I know it must seem to many people that I only seem to post when there is something good to be said about Prince Hassan directly or indirectly, but few on this forum seem to realise how much that man did for his brother, both professionally and personally, and was kicked in the teeth for his efforts. All of Prince Hassan's four children speak good, fluent Jordanian Arabic and very British English. Prince Hassan himself speaks the same way, and princess Sarvath's English is also British. As a family they speak many other languages, and Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath's French is fluent. Prince Hassan has give many live speeches and interviews withquestions and answers in French and German.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:15 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley

Hamzah speaks good Arabic. His English is fluent but surprisingly for someone with an American mother, his accent is neither British nor American, but Arab. In fact he sounds a lot like his father, either naturally or he has cultivated it so. Both Haya and Hamzah benefited from the Arabic tutors that Prince Hassan sent with his children when they went to boarding school. He himself made no arrangments for his other children, in Britain or the US. I know it must seem to many people that I only seem to post when there is something good to be said about Prince Hassan directly or indirectly, but few on this forum seem to realise how much that man did for his brother, both professionally and personally, and was kicked in the teeth for his efforts. All of Prince Hassan's four children speak good, fluent Jordanian Arabic and very British English. Prince Hassan himself speaks the same way, and princess Sarvath's English is also British. As a family they speak many other languages, and Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath's French is fluent. Prince Hassan has give many live speeches and interviews withquestions and answers in French and German.
So there was a tutor then but it's surprising that it was arranged by P Hassan.I thought the same about Hamzah's accent's similarity to his father's,heard him in a KH memorial,an obvious arab accent but I thought since am an arab I was mistaken.Don't want to sound off topic here but I myself admire P Hassan,here in the UAE,we don't have the wrong image about him.He appears on tv every now and then on arabic political channels,I believe he is highly respected,his views and thoughts about MEs' situations are quoted and stated as facts sometimes.I read articles where they quote from him,he is considered as a reliable source.I study mass media and communication paretically Journalism so I come across alot of his writings,we discuss it in classes too,deserves admiration for sure.Again,don't want to be off topic but I felt I should pay my share of admiration for P Hassan,not just because I have a thing for P Rashid which is true! but I do admire him.I will read/write on his thread to get more info about him or family.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I believe Hashim and Hamzah did attend schools in Amman,till the age of 12 I guess-not sure,maybe this is why their arabic is strong and excellent.Faisal and Abdullah did attend it but till the age of 5 or 6,their arabic is horrible.In one of KH documentaries,Faisal and Abdullahs’ arabic was described as a rusty one.Maybe to avoid this with the other kids,he kept them in Jordan for a longer while till they studied abroad.The result turned out to be excellent.In Faisal,Abduallah,Hashem and Hamzahs' case,they got a Jordanian accent because of the ppl surrounding them,they whether have spoken in english or the Jordanian accent,neither of Muna and Noor know arabic or if they do,they don’t speak it with a Jo accent.Ali has arabic/pal relativesv to learn from,that's why he speaks arabic with a pal/jo accent,the rest had foreign mothers so the only source they had,for arabic was the Jordanian accent.I heard Hamzah speaks Beduin too.
sure he is his way of talking is so simple and funny and he is so natural when he talks a bout anything
Old 01-13-2005, 09:17 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
So there was a tutor then but it's surprising that it was arranged by P Hassan.I thought the same about Hamzah's accent's similarity to his father's,heard him in a KH memorial,an obvious arab accent but I thought since am an arab I was mistaken.Don't want to sound off topic here but I myself admire P Hassan,here in the UAE,we don't have the wrong image about him.He appears on tv every now and then on arabic political channels,I believe he is highly respected,his views and thoughts about MEs' situations are quoted and stated as facts sometimes.I read articles where they quote from him,he is considered as a reliable source.I study mass media and communication paretically Journalism so I come across alot of his writings,we discuss it in classes too,deserves admiration for sure.Again,don't want to be off topic but I felt I should pay my share of admiration for P Hassan,not just because I have a thing for P Rashid which is true! but I do admire him.I will read/write on his thread to get more info about him or family.

sorry to contradict u, but I have a speech in English ,at St. Paul's, during his late father Memorial, his English is very, very British, old- fashioned, really- I think he learnt it at Harrow, KH's accent was so bad, I spent years in UK, so I think I can c the difference.......
Old 01-13-2005, 09:18 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Hamzah speaks good Arabic. His English is fluent but surprisingly for someone with an American mother, his accent is neither British nor American, but Arab. In fact he sounds a lot like his father, either naturally or he has cultivated it so.
I know a lot of children of Americans who are raised in the Mid East, and unless they spend a lot of time in America, they have the Mid-East accent in their English (not a strong one, but it's there).
Old 01-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:

KA has himself said that his own father had provided him an arabic language tutor, but he used to hide whenever this teacher went to his school in Boston to teach him the language, he later regretted it as he never learnt Arabic well, he skipped to many lessons......
Old 01-13-2005, 09:50 AM
Gentry

Quote:
sorry to contradict u, but I have a speech in English ,at St. Paul's, during his late father Memorial, his English is very, very British, old- fashioned, really- I think he learnt it at Harrow, KH's accent was so bad, I spent years in UK, so I think I can c the difference.......
Ummmm,I have the same speech but as I said,am an arab so you guys know better.Yes KH's accent was bad,he said so himslef because he learnt it,at first, in Egypt where they speak it in an odd,different way and couldn't "fix" later.

Quote:
KA has himself said that his own father had provided him an arabic language tutor, but he used to hide whenever this teacher went to his school in Boston to teach him the language, he later regretted it as he never learnt Arabic well, he skipped to many lessons......
Yeah,that was the CNN interview if am not mistaken,forgot about it but I think it was too late to learn it.But he improved his arabic through the years.The first time I heard his arabic was during KH Memorial,he recited the Holly Qura'an in a horrible way,people mugged him for weeks because of that.At the Pan Arab Games,in the opening ceremony,he only said few words yet made a terrible grammer mistake.Now,he obviously got himself a tutor,huge difference between now and then,which leaves Faisal with his so-called-arabic.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:42 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Yeah,that was the CNN interview if am not mistaken,forgot about it but I think it was too late to learn it.But he improved his arabic through the years.The first time I heard his arabic was during KH Memorial,he recited the Holly Qura'an in a horrible way,people mugged him for weeks because of that.At the Pan Arab Games,in the opening ceremony,he only said few words yet made a terrible grammer mistake.Now,he obviously got himself a tutor,huge difference between now and then,which leaves Faisal with his so-called-arabic.
was it terrible ? Hamzah's speech was lovely, I love that British accent, his English is so different from KH's and from Hashim's or from his own mum's- why did Feisal not learn Arabic, did he have a tutor, too, as Abdullah ? I have this thread where ppl from Jordan, back in 2000, say KA's Arabic is terrible, they complain he can't even speak his won language... I'm happy he found himself a tutor-what about Zein and Aisha ? or Alia's Arabic ?I can say that QR is fluent in English, but her accent is just awful.....