The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Nobility

http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture.../all/home.html

Has several pictures from today's event. Just search for "Crown Princess Mary" or whomever.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
What did your Prince Consort do to have all his decorations ?? Is General of the Army or is he admiral ??
His Royal Highness holds the honorary rank of General and Admiral in the Danish Defence.

(HM The Queen is the supreme commander of the Danish Defence Forces).

Old 01-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

At first I was disappointed to see the same outfits again, especially Mary's, but her hair and jewellery are different, and if the Queen sets the standard for recycling, then we can only expect that Mary will follow it (if not to the same extent!), IMO.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Aristocracy

I'm also thinking that it probably wouldn't be appropriate either for CP Mary to be constantly wearing a new gown at events like this where the Queen recycles as she should not outshine the Queen
Old 01-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
However...the headpiece. Oh my! It looks like she was doing housework and had to rush out the door to a formal event and forgot to take it off.
In old movies you see cleaning ladies or housekeepers wearing such headbands when wiping the floor.

A classy hairdo what Mary usually does very well could have saved her ... but overall it all added up to looking very ordinary and boring.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Courtier

I personally like the coat and I do not care if it is recycled or not. The cut, the color - it looks very nice on her. The hair band looks somehow strange and out of place, but I find it a very nice idea, since I can't remember having seen anything like this before on her on such an event like this one is.

She is a princess now for almost five years and has a huge collection of beautiful dresses. She can now chose and went for this one, which is absolutely ok. In times of economic crisis it would have been interpreted as too extravagant to wear a new gown. I am normally very fast in critizing her, but for both of this new year events I think she has done it very fine.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But altast Mary has a few different gowns which she now starts to recyle and not every year the same like the Queen who has worn the same gown for atlast 10 years to this Event.
I can't remember whether QMII has used this same blue dress for 10 years in a row - I thought she had used the similar yellow one a couple of times in this period - but as Johan so very apt has put it at GREMB - these dresses are a sort of female uniform. We can accept the same male uniform year in and out - surely we can accept the same for the female royal members
Old 01-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Agree with the others, nothing special
Old 01-06-2009, 12:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

i love thedress of Mary, anyone knows who made it or the design? i mean the grey sikver dress that she used too bfore her wedding
Old 01-06-2009, 06:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Bother the "Headband", what about the 60's “buffont” updo? I expected a swarm of bees to fly out at any moment.

To all you "dedicated followers of fashion", if you are thinking of copying the stlye, think twice. For the love (and sanity) of your fellow man . . . don't. All I can see is miles and miles of extra tall cans of hairspray!
Old 01-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
I can't remember whether QMII has used this same blue dress for 10 years in a row - I thought she had used the similar yellow one a couple of times in this period - but as Johan so very apt has put it at GREMB - these dresses are a sort of female uniform. We can accept the same male uniform year in and out - surely we can accept the same for the female royal members
Last year i had done a search at Polfoto (when one had still access) and in the photos of the last 10 years it was always this blue one. I think the gown in the same style only in yellow was used before the present one.
I think it is great that she recycles this gown so much and she looks great in it, but i like it more lik Mary does it with a few different gowns andchange them during the years so that it is not every year the same.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 01-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Royal Highness

This might be a funny question, but Countess Alex did attend one or two events since her divorce, was she at the new years leeve gala?
Old 01-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
i love thedress of Mary, anyone knows who made it or the design? i mean the grey sikver dress that she used too bfore her wedding
I think it was custommade for her by Malene Birger
Old 01-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Serene Highness

i don't think alexandra was invited auntie, i don't remember her name on the invitation list.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Nobility
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
This might be a funny question, but Countess Alex did attend one or two events since her divorce, was she at the new years leeve gala?
I think she attended them while she was still Her Highness Princess Alexandra of Denmark, but she doesn't go now - however, I could be wrong, as I haven't actually checked.

"Not everyone who chased the zebra caught it, but he who caught it, chased it" - South African proverb
Old 01-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Heir Apparent

I was also a bit disappointed that Joachim and Marie did not take part in this reception. I know that she has worn the same thing each year, but I think that the Queen looked very nice. I agree with the previous poster who stated that if the Queen decided to recycle, then she set a precedent. It was wise of Mary to recycle as well.

I did think that this didn't look like the most exciting event. Oh, well. This is part of their duties, and not everything can be exciting.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
As far as I know Alexandra is entitled to come and did in 2006 and 2007 but I think that since she remarried she has chosen not to attend.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post
I was also a bit disappointed that Joachim and Marie did not take part in this reception.
Joachim has never attended the Court for the Diplomatic Corps Only the Royal Couple and the Crown Princely Couple.
And on the Grand Court only the Royal Couple and the Crown Prince.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 01-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Heir Apparent

It has been my pleasure to look at all nice photos posted in this thread. I think that Queen Margrethe II is the only Queen, who does superb job of wearing furs. I like the fact that she recycles her court dress annually. Crown Princess Mary looked all right. However, the headpiece stood out awkwardly ... in my personal opinion.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinigirl View Post
I think it was custommade for her by Malene Birger

No, it was made by a man: Uffe Frank. He designed the red dress for her engagement period and her wedding dress as well.

Tags
danish new year levee, danish royals