The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Courtier

"Princesses Go to 80's Prom"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/02/royal-new-years-banquet-photos_n_2395720.html?ir=Style

At 71 years old, Queen Margrethe can wear whatever she damn well pleases -- she's a dress-designing, chain-smoking, multilingual rockstar in our book, so we'll love her in anything. But Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, one of Europe's most stylish princesses, showed up in a detailed, off-the-shoulder orange gown with an extra layer of orange material cascading from the waist. We can't tell for sure if it's satin or taffeta or what, but it was certainly... shiny.
Mary was out-shined by Princess Marie Agathe Odile of Denmark, her sister-in-law. Marie wore an even glossier magenta gown with long sleeves and an impressive ruffled train, visible when she turned to walk up the palace steps.
We love the Danish royal family, but between the bright crinkly dresses and the tiaras, this was like Princesses Go To '80s Prom.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibrarianDaisy View Post
Well, I got the last part of his name right! Let's start a campaign for DR to hire him (I'd have to ask for subtitles though, sorry!) Not being very knowledgable about the Danish Church, I don't know about the Bishop. What's he like?
Oh, bishop Erik Norman Svendsen is the one, who married the CP Couple and have baptized all the children (except for Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix).
Erik Norman Svendsen was the bishop over Copenhagen from 1992-2009. He is now the personal priest of the DRF

You can see him here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_Svendsen.jpg

Old 01-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Commoner

I recognise him now, thanks. You're right, they look like they'd make a good team!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibrarianDaisy View Post
I recognise him now, thanks. You're right, they look like they'd make a good team!
I´m sure they would and they would be such a jolly company, just the two of them, having a real cosy time talking and laughing
Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Courtier

Hoping one of our Danish members can help with a good pic of Jardins Knights Hall in Christian VII palace. Most pics I have found are quite small and I am hoping for a larger photo of this magnificent room. Thanks in advance
Old 01-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee4855 View Post
If it is 22K gold it will be that "gold". The higher the karat the more golden it will be.
Yes, yes, I know. Though the yellow can be upped a bit with addition of other metals. If 22K, it is very malleable, and all those little anthers are bending in the wind!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Hoping one of our Danish members can help with a good pic of Jardins Knights Hall in Christian VII palace. Most pics I have found are quite small and I am hoping for a larger photo of this magnificent room. Thanks in advance
Like these perhaps?
http://www.kulturarv.dk/1001fortaell...-jpg/690x_.jpg

http://utf8.kultunaut.dk/images/stedfig/501084.jpg

http://www.denstoredanske.dk/@api/de...=bd-09-148.jpg
Old 01-03-2013, 01:53 AM
Nobility

Any videos of the royal family's arrival at the dinner?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Is it the first time Princess Marie wears the Family Order ?? Thanks for answer MO
Old 01-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Here are the first pics from today, January 3, 2013:

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery: Queen Margrethe Holds New Year's Levee **

** semana.es gallery: Primera recepción del año para la familia real danesa **

** kongehuset.dk: Nytårskur for Højesteret, Den Kongelige Livgarde og Gardehusarregiment **

** kongehuset.dk: Nytårskur for det diplomatiske korps ** b.dk gallery: Se billederne fra nytaarskurens tredjedag **
Old 01-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks, Iceflower

They are getting older, or rather Prince Henrik is getting older. It's a nice tough I think, that QMII has opted to sit next to her husband, rather than letting him sit as the only one.

I also notice that he has had his uniform retailored.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

BT.dk Se billederne: Farvestrålende dragter til Dronningens nytårskur | www.bt.dk

Another photogallery

La Reina Margarita y los Príncipes Enrique, Federico y Mary de Dinamarca asisten a una recepción de año nuevo - Bekia
Old 01-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Mary looks lovely, I am always excited to see her wedding earrings but didn't she wear that same dress last year to this same event? Or was it the next day event?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Thanks, Iceflower

They are getting older, or rather Prince Henrik is getting older. It's a nice tough I think, that QMII has opted to sit next to her husband, rather than letting him sit as the only one.

I also notice that he has had his uniform retailored.
The Queen has had knee problems for years so let's not assume it is not her issues that require them sitting. Besides having been a chainsmoker for most of her life her health may be declining at this stage.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
The Queen has had knee problems for years so let's not assume it is not her issues that require them sitting. Besides having been a chainsmoker for most of her life her health may be declining at this stage.
I fear you may be right.
However, I don't think QMII's knees are a problem. Prince Henrik's back sure is - combined with his weight and it may be the light but he doesn't look particularly well walking into the hall. - But then it may be a case of flu, tens of thousands of Danes are down with flu these days, including here in the Muhler home.

Some details from Billed Bladet #1, 2013.
There were 66 guests at this, the grandest of the New Year Courts/levees.
The government ministers, the Chairman of the Parliament, the President of the Supreme Court and people from the court.
The tradition is centuries old. As the first thing in the new year, you greet and exhcange well wishes with family, friends and associates. The most important of course beeing greeted as the first.
The guests were bid welcome with a glass of champagne, before being served a four course menue, washed down with the famous/infamous Rosenborg Wine, which is served in very small glasses and there is a general agreement the wine is more an experience than a delight. But that is to be expected from a wine that goes back to the 1590's, albeit heavily diluted.

After the dinner, the ministers went to the official residence of the PM, Marienborg, where the PM's husband was host for a dinner for the husband/wives and spouses of the ministers.

BB puts particular emphasis on our Marie's hairstyle, as always done by her hairdresser Dennis Knudsen.
Very intricate I'd say and as such I include this (the light has been turned up for better viewing): https://www.box.com/s/b8weppfif33svsfk264f
There were no closeups of Mary or QMII's hair.

BB is up.

Two galleries from Billed Bladet of first the DRF arriving and walking through the Hall of Drabants at Christiansborg: Billed-Bladet - Dronning Margrethe og svigerdatter holdt nytårskur

Then a gallery of the diplomats: Billed-Bladet - Flot og farvestrålende kur hos dronningen

One of the delightful things of this court is that the diplomats often wear their national costumes.
So if anyone can tell us about the costumes, please do. None of us are so bright we can't learn anything new.

BT informs us Måtte sidde ned: Smerteplaget dronning til nytårskur - Royale | www.bt.dk
That QMII is plaqued with pains in her back and that it is PH who is showing solidarity with her by also sitting down.
QMII also had to sit in 2007.

Two large pictures, one from today: http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files...trskur2013.jpg

And from 2007: http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files...5/5975357-.jpg
Old 01-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubies View Post
Mary looks lovely, I am always excited to see her wedding earrings but didn't she wear that same dress last year to this same event? Or was it the next day event?
Mary looks really lovely
Her dress is my favorite New Year Courts dress and together with her wedding earrings
It was just what I needed at this stormy and rainy day here in Denmark

A large picture of Mary from today
http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...28575152_n.jpg

Yes, the dinner Tuesday nights is over, but this picture of Frederik's smile to Mary (in the middle of all the flash lights and with all the photographers shouting "Mary", "Mary", "Mary over here") says it all. I think the picture is priceless.

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...48763321_n.jpg
Old 01-03-2013, 12:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
BT informs us Måtte sidde ned: Smerteplaget dronning til nytårskur - Royale | www.bt.dk
That QMII is plaqued with pains in her back and that it is PH who is showing solidarity with her by also sitting down.
QMII also had to sit in 2007.

Two large pictures, one from today: http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files...trskur2013.jpg

And from 2007: http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files...5/5975357-.jpg
thanks everyone for the pictures and information.

and just what i needed Frederik in uniform without the hat
http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files...trskur2013.jpg
Old 01-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Gettyimages has a lovely picture gallery from todays event
See it here
Old 01-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps we should go through what happens at the diplomatic court today, for new members.

This takes place at the royal representation rooms at Christiansborg, the Parliament.
The DRF go through the Drabant Hall, where a detachment from the Royal Lifeguard is lined up and into the Knights Hall.
Here the DRF will line up and the diplomats will line the three walls in front of the DRF.
The doyen (the diplomat who has been the longest time in DK) will on behalf of the diplomatic corps wish the DRF a happy New Year and wish them the Very best. Then the diplomats are called up in order of seniority in order to greet the DRF. All diplomats regardsless of the size and importance of their country has the same status in the eyes of the protocol.
After that the diplomats will be served a little refreshments and something to chew on and they will mingle with eachother and the DRF.
This is a rare opportunity for all the diplomats to be together and meet everybody else on neutral ground and so to speak without any political agenda and also an opportunity to show off a bit in regards to neighboring countries, hence the very much increased use of national costumes.

Earlier on there was another court at Amalienborg, for predominantly the officers of the two guards regiments. They also wish the Majesty and her family a happy New Year and she wish them well in return and in this way thank them for their service in protecting her and her family.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Majesty

Pictures:
http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Billedserie...1/03154200.htm

Pictures:
The Danish Royal Family attended the New Year's Reception for diplomats at the Christiansborg Palace:
http://www.newmyroyals.com/2013/01/n...diplomats.html

I really like that the Danish royal diplomatic reception is shown in Live Coverage. I have always said that the British royal Diplomatic Corps Reception should be covered by the media. The event seems to go on every November/December without much notice or even pictures.

Tags
danish new year levee, danish royals