The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-03-2018, 04:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

The short and sweet answer to both questions is IMO: no.

She is still considered a little special by most I think, but rapidly becoming just another celebrity.
Fading away, she is of course not as popular as she used to be. The sometimes troubled marriage and later divorce from Martin Jørgensen haven't helped. And also that it seemingly took a considerable degree of public pressure for her to "voluntarily" give up her apanage didn't make it better.

Some still see her in a positive light, others in a negative light but I'll claim that most are pretty indifferent to her.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:48 AM
Royal Highness

I'm sorry to say, I don't care for the portrait at all. It just isn't my cup of tea, Alexandra is a beautiful woman, but even though the portrait is by an artist of talent, it does look too "celeb". Well, it isn't me and I guess her sons approve of it.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:37 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
The short and sweet answer to both questions is IMO: no.

She is still considered a little special by most I think, but rapidly becoming just another celebrity.
Fading away, she is of course not as popular as she used to be. The sometimes troubled marriage and later divorce from Martin Jørgensen haven't helped. And also that it seemingly took a considerable degree of public pressure for her to "voluntarily" give up her apanage didn't make it better.

Some still see her in a positive light, others in a negative light but I'll claim that most are pretty indifferent to her.
You nailed it, Muhler
Old 07-29-2018, 07:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Alexandra enjoy her holidays in Mallorca

https://www.seoghoer.dk/sites/seogho...alexandra2.jpg
https://www.seoghoer.dk/sites/seogho...alexandra3.jpg

Article
https://www.seoghoer.dk/nyheder/kong...a-paa-mallorca
Old 09-27-2018, 05:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Alexandra's "semi autobiography" has been published.

https://ekstrabladet.dk/flash/kongel...et-ord/7326222

She describes her life in DK how she adapted to and came to love a new country, culture and language and she describes her present life and her love for her sons and her very good relationship with Joachim and our Marie, even though she admits the divorce was painful.
All that has been intermingled with speculations and statistics about how and why DK is so often considered the most happy country in the world.
All in a 276 page book.

However... it has been very much noticed that Martin Jørgensen is not mentioned with one single word.
Despite Alexandra being married to him for eight years. That I guess is pretty telling...

Follow-up.

Summary of interview in Billed Bladet #39, 2018.
Interviewer: Trine Larsen.

The interview is based on the book mentioned above and the interesting about this interview is not what is being said, which really isn't much, but what is not said!
Martin Jørgensen is not mentioned with a word! Not by Alexandra. Not in the article. No photo. Nothing!

Apart from that it's a very cheerful Alexandra who feels very much at ease with the interviewer. They have after all known each other since Alexandra came to DK and Trine Larsen has followed Alexandra on the job both as princess and later as countess. In fact Alexandra decides they should be on informal you at the beginning of this interview.

Alexandra talks a little about how it was to settle and adjust to a new life and culture and the inevitable mistakes. How she tried winter-bathing - once! And that's probably it...
She feels happy now and there is no new man in her life. (And this is as close as we get to Martin Jørgensen.)
It was a little overwhelming to become a mother, when Nikolai dropped in some 19 years ago! Would she ever again have just two hours on her own?!? But it gets easier.
She's proud of her sons and think they are good looking. She is glad they are still close to her and haven't grown away from her.
They are considerate. Recently Nikolai went on a field exercise for two days. he phoned her before he went away and again when he returned, so that she wouldn't worry.
Felix is still living at home and they have a cozy time together, not least because Felix has a great sense of humor.
She finds it moving to see her sons with their younger half-siblings.

One thing recently that angered her and made her react, was when Nikolai graduated from high school. A certain magazine wrote an article angling the story into how Alexandra seemingly snubbed our Marie and was seemingly jealous of her and that they should have a bad relationship. That made Alexandra issue a press statement denying the whole story.

She's very much a monarchist, which is hardly surprising.

- But that's about it. Not much news, except...
Old 10-01-2018, 01:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...ner-og-sin-mor

Alexandra today afternoon, promoting her new book at a reception. Present were also her two sons and her mother.

What was Nikolai doing so far from the NCO school?!? And on a Monday afternoon?
Helping his mother promoting a book is hardly reason to take time off from his otherwise busy NOC training IMO!
Old 10-01-2018, 01:42 PM
Majesty

I was going to point that out about Nikolai. Quiet a bit of time off so shortly after he has started.

Others have noticed the non-mention of Martin.
https://www.seoghoer.dk/nyheder/kong...tin-med-et-ord
You cant erase an 8 year marriage, that was very much present in her son's lives.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

One more gallery of the presentation of the book

https://www.belgaimage.be/#/gallery/6317794
Old 10-02-2018, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Nice to see Nikolai and Felix there to support their mother.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-05-2018, 01:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Countess Alexandra on cover in the Borsen Magazine

https://www.instagram.com/p/BogLmDlC...orsen_pleasure
Old 10-05-2018, 02:59 AM
Courtier

ugg that Portrait is a total fail IMHO. it is so 90th and celebrity and Bollywoody and ... just wrong.

And the colours are ugly ... yes her face looks nice, but i wouldn't have recognised Alexandra at all!
Old 10-05-2018, 08:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Alexandra sure can't complain about the attention she and her new book has got!
It's written about in practically every magazine and newspaper worth mentioning.
Even though the book is marketed as Alexandra's reflection on happiness, both as a nation and on a personal level, it's also very much a semi-autobiography.

The women's weekly Alt for damerne has an interview with her: https://www.alt.dk/artikler/grevinde...-og-skilsmisse

Here she says about her divorce from Joachim and their relationship today:
"A happy divorce is much better than a bad marriage. When I couldn't have a happy marriage I have the second best thing, and that's a happy divorce."
En lykkelig skilsmisse er meget bedre end et dårligt ægteskab. Når nu jeg ikke kunne have et lykkeligt ægteskab, har jeg det næstbedste, og det er en lykkelig skilsmisse,

She goes on:
"Joachim and I are really, really good friends. We back each other up and for are together about the two wonderful children we have together. But we haven't become good friends because we MUST for the sake of our children. It's just turned out that way. I don't think you can say to each other that we must be good friends because we have two children together. It's not that simple."
Joachim og jeg er virkelig, virkelig gode venner. Vi bakker op om hinanden, og vi er fælles om de to vidunderlige børn, vi har sammen. Men vi er ikke gode venner, fordi vi SKAL være det for vores børns skyld. Det er bare blevet sådan. Jeg tror ikke, at man kan sige til hinanden, vi skal være gode venner, fordi vi har to børn sammen. Så enkelt er det ikke,

About being alone:
"I have rarely been alone in my life. But today I live alone and I have found out that it's okay to be alone and I've found out that it's okay to be alone. I have learned a lot about myself by being alone and the most important is that I have learned to love myself.
I thought I loved myself before, but now, that I have tried to be alone I have really seen how I act in different situations and I have seen a strength, an optimism and a drive in myself."
Jeg har sjældent været alene i mit liv. Men i dag lever jeg alene, og jeg har fundet ud af, at det er okay at være alene. Jeg har lært meget om mig selv ved at være alene, og det vigtigste er, at jeg har lært at elske mig selv. Jeg troede, jeg elskede mig selv før, men nu, hvor jeg har prøvet at være alene, har jeg virkelig set, hvordan jeg agerer i forskellige situationer, og jeg har set en styrke, en optimisme og et drive i mig selv.

She ends up by saying that even though she's fine being alone, she will not rule out a "Mr right" entering her life. But she will not compromise.

BT also has a quote: https://www.bt.dk/kendte/grevinde-al...undet-sig-selv
"I must emphasize how healthy it is to try and being alone. I have rarely been alone in my life. Hong Kong, where I grew up, is so densely populated that it was a luxury to have your own bedroom. I hadn't. It's very normal that three generations live together on 80 square meters (A very common size for a Danish apartment for two.) and that there is noise all day and night. (*) But today I live alone and I've found out that it's okay to be alone."
Jeg må understrege, hvor sundt det er at prøve at være alene. Jeg har sjældent været alene i mit liv. Hong Kong, hvor jeg voksede op, er så tæt befolket, at det var en luksus at have eget soveværelse. Det havde jeg ikke. Det er meget normalt, at tre generationer bor sammen på 80 kvadratmeter, og at der er larm døgnet rundt. Men i dag lever jeg alene, og jeg har fundet ud af, at det er okay at være alene,«

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #40, 2018.
Written by Trine Larsen.

As you know Alexandra recently attended a reception on the occasion of the publishing of her new book. Around 100 of her friends and acquaintances came. Among them PH's nephew, Charles Henri Keller who is employed by the DRF. - Interesting.
When I get around to scan the article the photos are very much a list of some of the more discreet friends of Alexandra. But patience. BB is full of info this week with no less than two minor interviews!
But back to the reception. Here Alexandra vented the idea about writing more books, an autobiography perhaps.
Nikolai, with his very civilian hair, also spoke to our reporter:
"When mammi publish a book we are of course there. I have been given time off today but (I) will drive back to the barracks in Varde as soon as the reception is over."
Neither he nor Felix have read the book, but:
"But we have followed the process. Each time mammi has been somewhere in the country and experienced something, she has told a lot about it and I think she's totally cool. But of course I will read the book. When I find the time, that's the first thing I'll do."

(*) She used the word "døgn" which covers a 24 hour period from midnight to midnight. You English speakers really need a word to cover that, it's pretty handy.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:07 PM
Majesty

thank you Muhler
She say's she lives alone, does Felix not live with her anymore?
Old 10-05-2018, 12:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

You are welcome.

Yes, he does. But she no doubt means not in a relationship.

Anyway, it's likely Felix is out the door in three years.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

On this day when the first snow fell here in DK, Alexandra went to the Bella Center in Copenhagen to talk about her new book, where she tries to define what it is that makes the Dane so happy - and doe it based on own experiences in coming to DK and settle and learn a new culture and language and a new mentality as well.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/grevinde-al...rk-er-mit-hjem

She makes it clear the DK is her home now and that she has not intentions whatsoever to move abroad. Work abroad from time to time for shorter periods but not to live anywhere else but DK.

The room was filled to capacity, so I guess her book will end up under quite a few Christmas trees this year.

Okay then, why are the Danes so happy?
Hvis jeg skal koge det ned til ét ord, er det tillid. Det finder vi overalt i Danmark. Vi har tillid til retssystemet, politiet og politikerne
"If I must boil it down to one word, it's trust. We find that everywhere in Denmark. We trust the court system, the police and the politicians." (*)

She knew very little of DK when she first came here and she quickly determined that learning the language was the key, so she did just that. (And to perfection I might add!)
Det var vigtigt for mig at kunne tale til mine nye landsmænd på dansk. Derfor satte jeg mig ned og lærte sproget. Jeg blev mødt med åbne arme, og jeg blev mødt med en nysgerrighed. Jeg skulle lære mit land at kende, men det var også meget tydeligt, at mine nye landsmænd skulle lære mig at kende.
"It was important to me to be able to talk to my new countrymen in Danish. That's why I sat down and learned the language. I was met with open arms and I was met with a curiosity. I was to get to know my country, but it was also very obvious that new countrymen had to get to know me as well."

Yet, there are words that to this day baffle her:
Like the word: "Skat."
Hvordan kan man have et ord, der både betyder ‘darling’, 'treasure' og ‘tax’,
"How can you have a word that means both darling, treasure and tax?!?"

When learning Danish she made it clear to those around her, that they should correct her when she said something incorrect. (**)
But at home she and Joachim spoke English:
Prins Joachim og jeg talte engelsk. Alt omkring var dansk, og derfor orkede jeg ikke at tale dansk derhjemme
"Prince Joachim and I spoke English. Everything around was Danish and that's why I simply couldn't be bothered to speak Danish at home as well."

She made the decision that here was where she would plant her roots, create a family and establish a home.

Migration (and integration or the lack of it perhaps) is as you know a very hot topic here in Europe these years, and Alexandra must have been asked her opinion on that since she herself is an immigrant.
However she dodges that question, by saying that it is the largest humanitarian problem we have right now and that there is no simple answer but that she has confidence in the politicians doing their best to solve the problems.

She ends by stating that even though she has contemplated jobs abroad where she can work from a laptop, Denmark is where she belongs and she has no plans to settle elsewhere.

- Very intelligent answers as you can expect from Alexandra.

(*) That IMO is true. To that I will add this sentence: It could be a lot worse.
I broke my leg - but I didn't end up in a wheelchair.
I lost my job - but at least I can cope with the benefit I get.
My cellar and ground floor got flooded - but at least my house is still standing.
And so on...
That sentiment is literally cultivated here in DK!
If you end up in hospital after being run over by a bus, you can bet you entire fortune that at least one of your visitors will say: "It could be a lot worse! You could be dead."
- Actually when I have expressed my sympathy to someone here on TRF, I really have to reign in myself in order not to say something similar, as I might be misunderstood by other nationalities.

(**) I actually saw that on TV back in the 90's. She was standing next to Joachim and was talking to a reporter when she turned to Joachim and asked whether it was a "positive (loaded) word" I can't remember the word, but after Joachim's brief answer she continued her reply.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:12 AM
Administrator

"Home is here for me. Home is where the heart is and my heart is here", Alexandra is quoted saying while promoting her new book:

** BB: Grevinde Alexandra: Jeg bliver i Danmark ** translation **
Old 11-02-2018, 04:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

But I can top that one, Iceflower.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/grevinde-al...har-kun-et-liv

Alexandra has today launched a single, albeit for charity. The Swedish charity organization Star for Life in fact, which helps Children in southern Africa.
Later on she will be performing on stage in Sweden with the song at a charity concert.
The song was recorded in June, spending ten hours there just the first day!

She has kept this project totally secret to her children but when she played the song for them, separately, recently they recognized her voice on the spot.

Alexandra has always been fond of singing and she felt like trying something new and test her skills as a singer.
And on 10. November she will appear on stage in the Swedish town of Malmö.

The song is called Wash Me Away and you can hear a sample from the single in the article.

ADDED:
Again, Alexandra can't complain about lack of publicity!
Even the serious papers have written about it.
And right now her song is most downloaded on the charts.
https://www.bt.dk/royale/grevinde-al...r-1-paa-itunes

It was so much fun recording this single, that she hasn't ruled out recording more songs.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

https://www.bt.dk/royale/grevinde-al...r-lidt-nervoes

Alexandra has started a tour of DK, in which she will give ten lectures based on her book about getting to know Denmark.
Apart from the book, she will during the hour and a half the lecture lasts also speak about personal experiences, like how it was to live at Schackenborg, funny anecdotes about Joachim and QMII and her struggles learning Danish.

The first lecture, taking place in the town of Kolding, was sold out. 650 tickets were sold paying an average of 300 DKK. (40 € = 46 $ = 36 £)
The created a total income of 200.000 DKK, before taxes and expenses. (267.000 € = 306.000 $ = 242.000 £)
So if the other nine lectures sell just as well, Alexandra will earn some 2 million DKK in 2019, before taxes and expenses.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Alexandra has become a winter-bather.
They are people who go for a brief swim or at least a quick dip, at all time of year, especially in the winter.

The shock to your system should be very beneficial and it's a pretty popular activity here in DK.

As such she will take part in the Skagen Bathing Festival on 25-27 January.
With an official welcoming event in the evening of the 24th.
Alexandra will also bathe, alongside the other participants, with no special considerations made for her.
She, and the female chairman in charge of the event, will however wear a bathing suits.
It's optional if you wish to bath in the nude or wear a bathing suit.
It's understandable that Alexandra will wear a bathing suit as photographers and onlookers will be present.

Seeing people in the buff is not something extraordinary for those who venture out to a beach at this time of year.
There have been people who have complained, but they have been shouted down by the general public. As long as you don't bathe almost demonstratively right next to the general public, i.e. a busy street, you just have to accept the occasional sight of nude people.
And really, there isn't that much to see anyway. The water temperature right now is about two centimeters...

The majority of winter-bathers are actually women, with only about 20 % being men.

WARNING!
Do not click on this link if you are offended by the sight of nude people bathing.
https://ekstrabladet.dk/flash/kongel...ndling/7480847

ADDED.

More from BB, no nudity:
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kendte/i...bader-i-skagen
Old 01-25-2019, 03:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Today Alexandra went winter-bathing, as you can see in this photo.
https://www.bt.dk/kendte/se-billedet...andet-i-januar

Not in the buff as the other more hardened winter bathers.

I can add that the temperature these days at no time has crept above freezing.

She tried winter bathing when she traveled DK researching for her book and seemingly developed a taste for it.

Tags
countess alexandra, current events