The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-10-2008, 01:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
I think it has a lot to do with personal charisma. Some have it others don´t, it certainly helps if the royal is photogenic.
Some of the popularity probably dates back to childhood days and story book princes and princesses. Some royals love to be in the limelight others don´t.
Royals are just ordinary people in an extraordinary position. Some are shy, some are retiring, others love the publicity.
I beleive that Princess Caroline of Monaco has been the most times on the cover of Point de Vue than any other person and a very beautiful cover she makes. I saw her recently, I saw the coat of arms on her car first then as the car sped past I saw who was in it. She seemed not to be wearing makeup and looked fabulous. A photographer´s dream model.
Menarue
I agree with your post that some royals have more charisma then others while the others are not known because they are not head of state to many nations like Queen Elizabeth II of United Kingdom.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras View Post
It has nothing to do if the interview was taped in front of a live audience or not. The interview still would have not been "dignified" and/or "suitable" that's not what Oprah does... she's not Charlie Rose. Oprah is similar to Andy Rooney combined with Nancy O'Dell from Access Hollywood.

Essentially, it has to do with Oprah's overall audience... Oprah's loyal audience. There is a certain demographic who watch the show, and they expect a certain type of fluff mixed in with one or two hard pressing questions.
I agree with you. I am not a fan of Oprah and almost never watch her shows. A long time ago she had Diane Von Furstenberg along with Prince Egon VF and Kiko (Ira VF's son) and I forget who else but the gist of the whole conversation was letting the mortals have a glimpse of "royalty". She never explained to the audience the relationship betweek Kiko and Egon but was anxious to one more time discuss the fabulous expensive wedding of the Alexes VF. and let the little people see the "Royals" up close.
Sorry to refer to the two dead gentlemen (P. Egon VF & Kiko VH.)

Old 08-15-2009, 01:13 AM
Courtier

I just thought then some royals are not reigning and while others stay out of the public eye.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:39 PM
Royal Highness

In this area of the United States, some people speak of Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles, and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge if they have seen any news coverage or journalism articles about the English Royals.
Some do not know that Liechtenstein is a principality. Is this due to the fact that how much coverage does Liechtenstein get?
Old 02-19-2015, 11:20 PM
Serene Highness

I honestly feel that the reason some royals are more popular with people is mainly due to personal likes. Why do we like some of our aunt and uncles more than others? Why do we enjoy being with some of our neighbors rather than other neighbors? Why do we even like some of our siblings more than others. It is something we feel we see in a person that we either like or dislike. It is human nature. The media picks up on this and run stores leaning on their likes and dislikes also. Common customs and language will all measure into how comfortable you are with another. You either like and read about a person or you don't.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
In this area of the United States, some people speak of Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles, and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge if they have seen any news coverage or journalism articles about the English Royals.
Some do not know that Liechtenstein is a principality. Is this due to the fact that how much coverage does Liechtenstein get?
Oh you are absolutely correct. They know the Queen, P Philip, Charles and Kate quite well, but most can't name the queen's other children and their spouses [except for Andy now and only a few]. They don't really care. Most don't even know the names of sitting royals of other countries. It is not important, especially to younger generations. We on the forum know them all quite well because we are interested and seek out articles and events to be discussed. But we are a tiny percentage of the world's population.

I know personally a few political figures here that feel we are all so gullible to even waste time following the birth privileged few that have actually no real power and run around in fancy dress. But these same politicians will sit for hours watching their favorite sport events or entertainers, who BTW have no real power and run around in their fancy dress. It will never change, people will only be interested in what they want to be interested in. And the larger percentage of younger Americans don't care about royals.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator

Popularity definitely starts off with whoever gets the most media coverage - you can't like someone you have never heard of! But this quickly changes once you start to know a little about other royals and this must be the case for most of us here on TRF - when you start delving into other royal families, you like the look of someone, or like a particular thing someone does and they become a favourite and it takes off from there.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Not all the most known royals (those quoted by tabloids and media for instance) are always seen as popular IMHO
Old 02-20-2015, 08:25 AM
Heir Apparent

It is also about having an X-Factor. Queen Máxima of the Netherlands blows all and everything away with her charisma and her 10.000 megawatt smile. The fact that all Orange-Nassau treasures are available to her only helped to dazzle and to star in her "role". There are (were) other spouses of Heirs who do not have that charisma or that présence at all, who can not count on a general and wide-spread well-willingness of the public and have not the access to the one after the other cassette with historical jewels, or have a triple platinum-card with unlimited resources to live as a royal indeed.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think Duchess of Cambridge has a specific charisma, but as British royals are well-known around the world, it's more difficult to keep an unique image. Each time she is exposed to criticism, and that's normal, but BRF stays apart as very specific family.

No less charisma than Maxima has CP Victoria of Sweden that has quite an interesting personality and brilliant approach towards others.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:59 PM
Serene Highness

Some royals (past and present) like Princess Diana and Kate are individuals that the average person will feel comfortable talking to and being around. Others like Queen Elizabeth who are popular are more traditional and if you met them, it would be more formal.

Like any group you have royals that are very popular, are very people-oriented and pleasant. Sometimes this is just their nature or how they are. Other royals are so formal that it makes one uncomfortable or aren't well liked or popular due to their personality or things that they have done. Even a popular royal who did something bad or terrible would become unpopular.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:24 PM
Aristocracy

Personally, I like the honor the military gives them. We have that here in America also. Like right now there is a position with the Air Force that just popped up for honorary commander. They do a lot of community interaction and some military interaction kind of for the community also. Here it is a little different, because America's history is different. Anyone could be nominated here for it. I really adore the community and military, for example, but I cannot fly a plane in the event of an emergency and honararies do get in some of the planes, couldn't work on a plane, couldn't physically break up a fight between service peoples in the event one happened to diffuse the situation, which I highly doubt we'd have to, couldn't fuel it on personal funds in an emergency, couldn't understand an air traffic controller and we only speak English, so taking a position like that I feel would leave the community maybe even the country weak and would humbly and oh so politely have to refuse getting in a plane. My husband and I, we might actually get votes or nominations, but we are just regular everyday people who care about the community. The royals have charities, military history and millions of people who support them. While my husband and I could be trusted with positions, and there are two open, I realize how impacting a position like that is on everyone and what a huge responsibility it is too. So from an everyday person perspective I think the royal ones with honorary military positions are the most liked, because it is a way everyday folks can relate a little to them that actually is real down to earth. It gives people confidence. Here the qualifications for the position are not unobtainable for the average norm or disabled. The royals who don't have the military positions are more royal history based, and there is a huge amount of history you'd about have to be a historian to learn, so an every day person view and relation is preferred.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:40 PM
Heir Apparent

The main reason some Royals are more popular than others is solely due to the way the media covers them, in the case of the BRF to the point of saturation here in the U.S. They reduce them to the level of pop culture figures by discussing every detail of their private lives in People, Star, the Enquirer and Globe magazines. Their titles , ceremonial, and historic residences give them a little something extra. Naturally seeing William, Kate and Harry on the cover of countless tabloid covers in the supermarket checkout line will give some people the illusion that they are more "relatable" and that we know them, because we see them more often than the members of the other RF's who are not covered more often. Here in the US the BRF gets the coverage for many reasons, mostly because of the bonds of language and culture.

The fact is we have no idea if they are truly nice, down to earth, and relatable at all.

They are not my personal favorite of the RF's...I much prefer the Continental RF's. But because I speak English as my primary language it is easier to access and find information about the Windsors than the others.