The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Serene Highness

I would be tougue tied, nervous and probably would say Hello and that would be it. I would wait until they spoke to me before I spoke. I believe that would be the proper protocol

Old 07-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Nothing.
If they start a conversation with me, I'd be delighted to take part in it. But as someone who values privacy above everything, I would not dream to invade another person's privacy (whether a royal, a celebrity, or "ordinary" human being) without their consent.
I would do the exact same thing, I generally do not like to make people feel uncomfortable and break into their own zone.
Unless we meet for business ( I'm an interior designer), I'll talk it out like I do with all my clients without being too descriptive because I have that bad habit of going on and on about a certain vision I'm having about my work.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

My first (and only) encounter with royalty was in London. I saw HM and Prince Philip in their Rolls- Royce and I was very close to their car. It was during her Jubilee last year, and I seem to remember her smiling at me!

Some of my friend's stories:

1. My friend was walking down the road near St James's Park one day, when she saw a black Bentley. She thought it was someone who lived at Downing Street, and to her surprise, the PoW and Duchess of Cornwall stepped out of the car- she was walking behind them at one point, but didn't talk to them.

2. Another friend of mine was in London when there was suddenly a big traffic jam. She told me that there was a man getting angry at the other traffic and he shouted 'who are we waiting for, the Queen?!' And just as he had predicted, the traffic jam was caused by a royal car with HM inside! We always laugh when she tells that story!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

My only encounter with royalty was the only one who would visit the great State of Georgia. She was none other than the great Sarah, Duchess of York. She was selling her goods at the fair (Sarah's Garden Wedgewood at the local mall). I went to see all the fuss, and my there was a fuss. Atlanta doesn't get royals like Fergie every day at the mall. All the store employees ordered to wear smart black suits. Every bigwig of the company running around. And there she was, on a podium. Some little girl came up to her to autograph her plate and swept into the grandest curtsy I had ever seen, proud mother right behind her. She looked like a debutante in 1890 before Q. Victoria. It was the most ridiculous spectacle I had ever seen.

Last year in Wash D.C. Obama's motorcade passed us quite by chance on the street. He waived to us. What a grand moment to have the Pres. of the United States waive to you!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Did that really happen? That's hilarious.

Shaken hands with QE2, DOE and Princess Beatrice smiled at me outside York Minster last year. Was a lovely day.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
My first (and only) encounter with royalty was in London. I saw HM and Prince Philip in their Rolls- Royce and I was very close to their car. It was during her Jubilee last year, and I seem to remember her smiling at me!
And what a lovely memory to have of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
And what a lovely memory to have of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee!
I agree, I'll remember it for a long time!

My cousin has completed his silver certificate for the DoE's awards, and he's going to meet the Earl of Wessex, although I don't know when. He'll have tea with Prince Philip when he completes his gold!

Old 01-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I agree, I'll remember it for a long time!

My cousin has completed his silver certificate for the DoE's awards, and he's going to meet the Earl of Wessex, although I don't know when. He'll have tea with Prince Philip when he completes his gold!
One of my cousins in London did meet Prince Albert II of Monaco last summer backstage at the Olympics and he let him take his photo and said 'this is for my cousin in Ireland'.

He said the Prince was charming and just smiled!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
One of my cousins in London did meet Prince Albert II of Monaco last summer backstage at the Olympics and he let him take his photo and said 'this is for my cousin in Ireland'.

He said the Prince was charming and just smiled!
I'm sure that was also a nice memory!

I was trying to see if I could spot any royals at the Paralympics Swimming this year. Unfortunately I didn't see any...

Old 01-18-2013, 04:34 PM
Aristocracy

I saw Princess Madeleine in JCREW in NYC
I saw Sheikha Mozah and her daughter, Sheikha Mayassah at the gym in NYC.
I didn't speak to any of them, but Sheikha Mozah walked passed me and did smile as walked by me. I said hello.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Did that really happen? That's hilarious.

Shaken hands with QE2, DOE and Princess Beatrice smiled at me outside York Minster last year. Was a lovely day.
Yes, and that is EXACTLY how it happened. I could have shaken hands with Fergie if I had bought one of her jugs or something.

Must have been nice to meet the Queen, DoE and Beatrice!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Heir Apparent

I remember when Fergie came to town. I thought my late friend, Leonard, was going to have a heart attack in the days running up to the visit at the mall. I didn't go, but he did and got her autograph and purchased a piece of the pottery or china, I can't remember which. That visit stayed with him until he died and made him a very happy man. One person's trash is another person's treasure.

I was presented to Carl-Gustav at a ball given in his honor in 1988 or 1989. I got invited because of my job (private banker) at the time.

Prince Charles waved at me from the driver's seat of his Aston-Martin in London many moons ago (he wasn't married yet).

The late and much lamented King Hussein I saw at least twice a year (never met Queen Noor).

I waived to the Princess of Wales on their visit to Washington, D.C. in 1985. She waived back, as did Barbara Bush.

Shall I go on?????
Old 01-18-2013, 05:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I remember when Fergie came to town. I thought my late friend, Leonard, was going to have a heart attack in the days running up to the visit at the mall. I didn't go, but he did and got her autograph and purchased a piece of the pottery or china, I can't remember which. That visit stayed with him until he died and made him a very happy man. One person's trash is another person's treasure.

I was presented to Carl-Gustav at a ball given in his honor in 1988 or 1989. I got invited because of my job (private banker) at the time.

Prince Charles waved at me from the driver's seat of his Aston-Martin in London many moons ago (he wasn't married yet).

The late and much lamented King Hussein I saw at least twice a year (never met Queen Noor).

I waived to the Princess of Wales on their visit to Washington, D.C. in 1985. She waived back, as did Barbara Bush.

Shall I go on?????
Oh, what might have been, Kitty!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad Fergie made your friend's day, Kitty. The place was packed, she made a lot of people's day.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Serene Highness

I've never had the pleasure of meeting any royal.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I've been to a garden party at BP and saw the Queen, PRince Philip, Charles, Camilla, Sophie, Edward and Anne. The food is lovely, the Gardens superb and they have the most amazing temprorary washroom facilities ever.

Also attended the 250th anniversary of the Royal Artillary at Woolwich - sat about 3 rows back from the Queen, to the side; Prince Philip was with her. Also saw Margaret THatcher.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-19-2013, 12:32 AM
Commoner

I've twice been honored with the privilege of singing in benefit concerts which were attended by HRH The Duke of Kent. The first one was at Westminster Cathedral, where I understand HRH The Duchess of Kent was also in attendance, though I didn't see either of them in the crowd.

The second concert was held at St. Paul's Cathedral and there I saw the Duke as soon as he made his way to his seat, which was just opposite the orchestra from where I sat on stage. After the concert there was an informal reception down in the crypt which he and I both attended. For a long while we were standing only about 8 - 10 feet apart, but I didn't have an opportunity to meet or speak to him as he had several people with whom he was quite engaged in conversation. Still, it was fun to just stand there mere feet away while we both sampled food and beverages.

Regardless, such opportunities were rare and special for someone who lives in Florida!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
I've had nightmares about this (sad, I know) where I'd be so gobsmacked that I'd go into shock and curtsey (even though I am a guy) and then just stare at them.

I have met a couple during my work with the Olympic Bid in Sydney. I recognised the British and Monaco royals only. I was in the lift with Albert of Monaco and that was not the most comfortable experience. He was a lady's man! And not very tall folks!! Any others I would not have recognised as they were not featured in the local media. No big deal, just work, I thought. They are after all, mortal. I did hear a lot of stories about the royal visits from colleagues and not all of them pretty. The Queen's husband seemed to be the least favourite.

Just recently, on Charlie's visit. There was quite a stir about him expecting a large number of eggs to be cooked for his breakfast regardless of the fact he would only ever eat one!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Courtier

Back in the 90's I worked at a physical rehab hospital which Infanta Christina came to visit. I almost ran right into her as I turned a corner and she was walking down the hallway with hospital admins giving her a tour.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy View Post

In defence of Diana, I have met her 4 times over the years, and on these occasions, she always went out of her way to talk to people waiting for her - even when the press were NOT around. In Oct. 1991, Diana & Charles visited Toronto. One night the princess had a late engagement at the theatre to see Les Miz. As the royal couple were staying on the royal yacht Britannia, one of my friends spent several hours waiting dockside along with a small group of fans, for the princess to return from the theatre. She was hoping just to catch a glimpse of the princess & was completely shocked to see Diana get out of her car and approach her fans. She spent several minutes talking with everyone inspite it being very late at night. (Yes, the event was shown on local news the next day, but only because one of the fans had brought his movie camera and sold the very amateur looking footage to CITY TV. There were no official members of the press there, so the Princess wouldn't have anticipated this happening.)

I've seen Prince Charles several times. On four occasions, there were big crowds and he interacted with them, but on one occasion, there were only about 50 of us & one cameraman waiting, so all we got was a quick wave & a smile. The same for Princess Margriet of the Netherlands. When there is a big crowd, she may interact, but if there is just 60 or so people, you might just get a wave.

I don't view the occasions where the royals don't interact with the crowds in a negative way. They are busy people in stressful positions. I think they have to pick and choose the occasions where they give more of themselves, otherwize they will be completely exhausted. We have to remember, that although the event might be a "once in a lifetime" occasion for us, for them it is an everyday occurence. And besides, like you & I, they have their bad days. They can't always be "on" 100% of the time.
Well said Squidge!
Old 02-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Commoner

I narrowly missed out on meeting The Queen last year! I was totally gutted!