Fashion for the little and teenage royals Part 12: June 2018 - December 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The capes are beautiful while the stockings look a bit odd, tights would have looked better.

The dressses are lovely, but the knee socks are too juvenile.

Leonor and Sofia in similar dresses at a ceremony commemorating the 40th anniversary of the Spanish Constitution in Madrid today, December 6:

** Full view ** Full view with capes **
Well, how to put it, I like it but at the same time I don't. I don't mind long socks, I saw many Japanese women (teens, 20s) wearing them when I was in Japan last month, so it's not juvenile I think. But I don't think it suits the girls, I think tights would've been a better choice.

To me the socks make the outfit look like a school uniform, first thing I had to think of is Britney Spears' Hit me Baby One more Time, similar outfit with the long socks.

Well, how to put it, I like it but at the same time I don't. I don't mind long socks, I saw many Japanese women (teens, 20s) wearing them when I was in Japan last month, so it's not juvenile I think. But I don't think it suits the girls, I think tights would've been a better choice.

I love the capes they were wearing - very jaunty! I agree that tights might have worked better but don’t mind the socks. The style and colour of the dresses don’t bring out the best in either girl, but the important thing is they look neat and appropriate for the occasion.

I find the contrast between the very solemn, almost drab style of the girls and Letizia’s bright red, form fitting dress kind of jarring. They look like they’re going to completely different events. IMO either Letizia should have toned it down with a darker colour and something less tight, or the girls should have worn brighter, slightly more festive clothing.

:previous: Those poor children are dressed like wretched bookends. You can only get away with that if they are twins and even then they may not like it. I find it weird that Leonor, Princess of Asturias is virtually identically presented as her younger sister Infanta Sofia and how drab and dreary their clothes are. The knee socks scream "School Uniform" and shoes matching the knee socks? Utterly ghastly.

It is not as if they are dressed in a slightly old-fashioned way such we saw with Lady Louise and now with George and Charlotte, which is both historical and age appropriate. Those young girls should be wearing party dresses and hair ribbons, not something that, if totally grey, would pass as novitiate nuns habits. Letizia seems to swing from dressing them like baby dolls to dressing them like bland adult twins. Today was matching bookends to offset their Mother's bright and elegant ensemble.

I think Leonor and Sofia are too old for this matchy business. It reminds me of the way QEQM used to dress Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret in identical outfits when Elizabeth was into her teens.

:previous:
Totally agree with you, what is their mother doing to her girls? This is most unbecoming on a child, neither of these girls are fully developed yet and are paraded around like adults and the rest is left unsaid here.....shameful!
I showed my daughter their Instagram, and she even say , mom how they would allow them to dress like this, , my daughter is 16 , and she did think most of their clothing are for much adults ladies! She like it a few pieces but definitely not with high heels ! I am not sure what the mother wants to do with them, you do not see any other princess from Europe parading like this oi dressing like this!:bang:

Humm, that long socks like in the 60s and 70s, I don't like it! shoes are nice ! and dress ok

I just wish Leonor would dress her age . She's 13 and dresses like a 6 year old .

I showed my daughter their Instagram, and she even say , mom how they would allow them to dress like this, , my daughter is 16 , and she did think most of their clothing are for much adults ladies! She like it a few pieces but definitely not with high heels ! I am not sure what the mother wants to do with them, you do not see any other princess from Europe parading like this oi dressing like this!:bang:

Oh, I think you're wrong.: ermm Spanish princesses dress like girls because they are girls. We have seen the Dutch princesses with 12 and 11 years old, dressed and MAKE-UP as adults,:explosión::triste: which I find really reprehensible. You may not like their dresses, but that's personal taste so take it further, it's very strange.
The important thing here, is that the Spanish princesses are so aboslutamente beautiful, that no other princess can make them shade. They are as perfect as in a dream. Greetings.
PS: Spaniards are very proud of having two beautiful princesses, dressed as girls, well educated and sweet. They are girls who have to endure boring and serious acts, and that does not happen to any other princess in the world. They have to dress for serious events, and we can not fill them with ties and ridiculous things. At least not in Spain. And I remember that Spanish children's fashion is not wrong.

I just wish Leonor would dress her age . She's 13 and dresses like a 6 year old .

Oh no. She, Leonor, dresses like a girl who has just turned 13 and is a girl. We're not going to make it grow when it's not her time.:explosión:

What is the relationship between a 16-year-old woman and a girl who just turned 13? What stranger things can be read.:ohmy::huh:

I would love to see the Spanish Infanta's dress differently like the two separate girls that they are. The appropriateness of the dress for the occasion being the only restriction. I would like them to style their hair differently, perhaps one wants to grow her hair and the other does not. But dressing two young girls of different ages in matching ensembles except for the colour seems to indicate a degree of control that is downright creepy.

Spain has two lovely young Infanta's, but it is getting harder and harder to tell them apart and the Princess of Asturias needs to be at least recognisable.

What is the relationship between a 16-year-old woman and a girl who just turned 13? What stranger things can be read.:ohmy::huh:

A 16 year old is still a child, at best, a young woman.

The Princesses of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, who are 15 and 13 respectively. dress far too mature for their age. And then on the other side of the spectrum, the Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofia dress far too young. Those two dresses I would consider for young girls under the age of 10, not 11 and 13 respectively.

I have always found the Danish, Dutch and Belgian royal teenagers being dressed age-appropriately. And frankly, it's refreshing.

It’s not a bad idea for the girls to be dressed in similar and ‘old-fashioned’ clothing. Their looks will begin to change drastically very soon, and the longer they look like children, the easier things will be. And the more privacy they will have. There’s no prize for being the most stylish young princesses, and there’s certainly no penalty if they’re not.

I think looks play an important part. Leonor is 13 years old but looks very young, so choices in clothes will be choosen not according to her age but to her looks. My cousin is 13 years old too, and she looks like she is 18 years old because she mature fast, so her choice of clothes will be different because of her "now" women body.
It won't be before long until we see Leonor on grown up outfits. She will be adult almost her whole life, so let her be a child for the longest possible.

But as for identical outfits, I agree that it was a bit matchy with Sofia. For this event they needed more individuality. But it's been a long while since Letizia stopped dressing the girls with the same clothes (around 2010?). Sometimes they have different but similar clothes, but it's rare to have the same exactly outfit, so I don't understand the fuss about it. If you look at their looks this year, most were completely different clothes from each other (few examples):

- Ceremony for Felipe's 50th birthday and Leonor's order (Leonor in blue and Sofia in pink, different dresses, different style and cut);
- Easter Mallorca (different outfits, Leonor in a floral dress, and Sofia with a blue outfit);
- 1st photocall in Summer at Mallorca (Leonor in blue and Sofia in white, very different dresses);
- Asturias visit (Leonor in light blue and Sofia in shades of red, some similarity but different dresses althogether/their national park casual clothes were also very different);
- Constitution reading (Leonor in blue and Sofia is pink, very different dresses);
- National Day (though I see some similarity in the pattern of their dresses, they have different style and color).

So I think this last appearance was an exception though. They have been dressing diferently for a while now, and this year it shows it.

Last edited:
Maybe the girls chose their outfits themselves and wanted to look very similar.

I think this juvenile issue becomes so obvious because in this case the younger sister is taller/looks more mature than the older sister.

I found the socks a bit irritating, to show up at this event looking like school girls in uniform.

Oh, I think you're wrong.: ermm Spanish princesses dress like girls because they are girls. We have seen the Dutch princesses with 12 and 11 years old, dressed and MAKE-UP as adults,:explosión::triste: which I find really reprehensible. You may not like their dresses, but that's personal taste so take it further, it's very strange.
The important thing here, is that the Spanish princesses are so aboslutamente beautiful, that no other princess can make them shade. They are as perfect as in a dream. Greetings.
PS: Spaniards are very proud of having two beautiful princesses, dressed as girls, well educated and sweet. They are girls who have to endure boring and serious acts, and that does not happen to any other princess in the world. They have to dress for serious events, and we can not fill them with ties and ridiculous things. At least not in Spain. And I remember that Spanish children's fashion is not wrong.
My comment was regarding Princes Caroline and Princess Chiara, not the Spanish Princess

So far as Sofia and Leonor go, I'm not loving the knee socks, but that's a style choice that's age appropriate, even if not a favorite of mine. Yes they were dressed similarly, but not identically, and there has been lots of variation in what they wear so I just can't get exercised over them appearing in similar clothing every once in a while. Possibly that's the way they like it--some sisters do.

I also think it's unnecessary to compare them to Dutch or Swedish or Norwegian teen or preteen princesses because they aren't Dutch or Swedish or Norwegian. They are dressing in a way that suits their parents and the event, and most likely has nothing to do with how they dress on their own time. They'll grow up soon enough.

I think they all look good but each one of the kids has their own distinct sense of style and fashion flair. And yes, Christian is definitely taking a leaf out of Dad's book with his red pants. Actually, I think I've seen that look so often I think it is quite stylish. As for the girls, I especially love Josephine's cape, it looks very feminine on her.

I think Leonor and Sofia are too old for this matchy business. It reminds me of the way QEQM used to dress Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret in identical outfits when Elizabeth was into her teens.

At their ages I agree about dressing alike.

I like the dresses and capes, but as others have pointed out the knee socks aren't the best choice. Tights would have been much better.

The Danish kids look super cute. I like Isabella’s light coat over the darker clothes and Josephine’s cape is sweet. Both Christian and Isabella look quite stylish and grown up.

It’s beem years since I’ve seen pictures of Mary’s father and stepmother - they’re looking good!

All Danish children look wonderful. Mary looks as if she gave Isabella some advice with her coat as it looks like something Mary would also wear. It's a beautiful coat and I like how it's suitable for her age but also older and grown up looking.

Regarding Leonor and Sofia; I agree with those who have said that they're getting a little too old for matching outfits (though until recently the AAAs in the Netherlands were also wearing matching outfits, so it seems to be a common practice still amongst their age groups for upper class European children) and I'd expect to see their outfits on a child half their age. They're lovely young ladies however and just because I'm not a fan of their outfits doesn't mean that I'm being negative towards them, as I'd never criticise children unfairly.

I don't think that in leonors age these socks are suitable anymore. Both dresses are lovely and I don't mind about the matching outfits but the socs for Léonor no. For Sofia it is OK but Léonor is a teen now, opaque tights in a light soft color should be better. I remember a similar discussion to this forum a while ago it was said that in Japan socs are worn by young girls more aged than Léonor but in Europe I don't think it is suitable at 13.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom