Windsor Castle

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's where I want to be for Christmas. I want to be at Windsor all year round though, lol.

I don't know if this is the first year that they have done this, but considering they have most of what is needed in house, it will draw a large amount of people that may have visited the castle previously. The family does this every year at the Biltmore house in North Carolina, and it is a huge draw every year.

We have a couple of the same ornaments on our tree. My son night them a couple of years ago when he was a Windsor.

Queen approves £27m Windsor Castle revamp as 90th birthday approaches
he Queen has approved a £27 million revamp of Windsor Castle, including its first public café, in an early 90th birthday gift to the nation.

Until now, the 1.3 million visitors who pay to look round Windsor each year have had to manage without so much as a fortifying cup of tea, but a 14th century undercroft will be transformed into a restaurant as part of the biggest renovations since the fire of 1992.

The castle’s State Entrance will also be opened up to the public for the first time, and an education centre will be added as part of the project.

A spokesman for the Royal Collection said the Queen, who will be 90 on April 21, was “fully aware of the plans” and had given them her approval.

At Windsor, the Castle’s Georgian entrance hall will be reinstated, creating a “proper sense of arrival”, according to the planners. The visitor route will also take in the State Entrance for the first time, and the new café will be housed in the vaulted ground floor undercroft, built by Edward III in the 1350s as the Castle’s main cellar and larder.

It will be a godsend for visitors who currently have the choice of bottled water or ice cream from a kiosk if they feel in need of refreshment.

An existing building in the grounds of the Castle will also be turned into an education centre.
There is also information about the Palace of Holyroodhouse in this article.

How the royal family hid the crown jewels from Hitler: Author claims George VI stashed treasure trove in Windsor Castle during the Second World War

• Author Colin Brown, from London, uncovered letters detailing the location
  • Royal gems were stashed in basement of Windsor Castle during the war
  • Theories about the secret hiding place have been rife since 1940
By Aimee Brannen For Mailonline
Published: 10:33 EST, 24 April 2016 | Updated: 10:46 EST, 24 April 2016

This is a weird Question but here goes: Edward III was born in Windsor in 1312 sure but where exactly was he born in the Building, where was the family Quarters?

Very likely where the queen sleeps now or in close proximity. The 'queen's chambers' were housed in the upper ward of Windsor castle in the 14th century, as they are now. The rooms were redone during the life of Edward III's great-grandmother Eleanor of Provence in the 1250's. Bathing facilities added and upgraded during his mother's and later his reign.

I guess George will still have guards. Happy for the little man.

Excellent. We had a piece on one of the national news shows about the barriers in New York Times Square. Many are quite nice architecturally and then, there are some that are the same used as lane barriers when multi-lane highways are under construction which are ugly and utilitarian. Short term, keep Windsor safe; long-term make the barriers aesthetically pleasing. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I do hope the Queen joined in and boogied to "Dancing Queen". :D

How many years has it been, do you suppose, since Her Majesty has decorated a tree from start to finish? This occurred to me as I looked at all those trees; all those lights to put up, all those baubles. In some things, it is good to be the monarch!

The Christmas Tree in the Crimson State Drawing Room at Windsor Castle, which we visited Today.

Attachments

• cr.jpg
    cr.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 144
How very very pretty. Thanks for that. The staff do a stunning job with this each year I believe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom