The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
You do realise that's what the Queen does? I suspect she's at Windsor more than at BP.
If you had actually bothered to take the ten seconds OR LESS required to read what I wrote, rather than engaging in a petty and self-indulgent tangent, you would know that what I wrote was how *I* would divide up my time between the royal residences, not what *The Queen* currently does.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
As it is under the direct flight path to Heathrow it does have the disadvantage of planes low overhead all day and night.

The Queen has a regular routine now - Monday to Thursday at BP and then either Thursday or Friday down to Windsor for the weekend from late September to late November and again from mid-February to July. Balmoral for August and September and Sandringham from late November to mid-February.

She also has a week at Holyrood House in July.

She already has five homes. She doesn't need to add Walmer Castle to the list.
I am well aware of what Her Majesty does. If you had bothered to take less than ten seconds to actually READ what I wrote, rather than engaging in a petty and petulant tirade, you would have know that I was saying what *I* would do if I were the Sovereign, besides requiring everyone to actually READ what people write in The Royal Forums, rather than inventing what posters would like other posters to have written. And the Queen actually spends Monday or Tuesday (reports vary) to Thursday in residence at Buckingham Palace. On the other hand, I would move the Court to Windsor Castle (ie. Ambassadors would be accredited to the Court of Windsor, not St. James's) and would drive to London to receive the PM and the Privy Council on Tuesdays, then turn right round and go back to Windsor. The remainder of my routine would remain unaltered as laid out in a previous post.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by democratnmonocole View Post

I am well aware of what Her Majesty does. If you had bothered to take less than ten seconds to actually READ what I wrote, rather than engaging in a petty and petulant tirade, you would have know that I was saying what *I* would do if I were the Sovereign, besides requiring everyone to actually READ what people write in The Royal Forums, rather than inventing what posters would like other posters to have written. And the Queen actually spends Monday or Tuesday (reports vary) to Thursday in residence at Buckingham Palace. On the other hand, I would move the Court to Windsor Castle (ie. Ambassadors would be accredited to the Court of Windsor, not St. James's) and would drive to London to receive the PM and the Privy Council on Tuesdays, then turn right round and go back to Windsor. The remainder of my routine would remain unaltered as laid out in a previous post.
Well when you become The King, you can set out your plan nicely
Old 06-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Has anyone from the Forums yet seen this exhibit in person?
The Royal Paint Box: Royal Artists Past and Present at Windsor Castle.
Royal Paintbox: Royal Artists Past and Present | Royal Collection Trust

Yes, yes, I know there was a documentary, but seeing art in person is a far different thing.

Anyone planning to go? If so will you give us a report?
Old 08-20-2013, 09:02 PM
Majesty

In this short video, Royal Collection Trust conservator, David Wheeler, begins the process of conserving an 18th century vase from the Royal Collection:

Very Interesting Tips on How to Restore Porcelain-

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Majesty

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 56m
'Willow arches' have been installed along the Long Walk, Windsor Castle, marking 60th anniversary of HM's coronation. pic.twitter.com/bRJhkIWynq

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-28-2013, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Semi-State Rooms open at Windsor Castle

Semi-State Rooms open at Windsor Castle | Royal Collection Trust
Old 09-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 56m
'Willow arches' have been installed along the Long Walk, Windsor Castle, marking 60th anniversary of HM's coronation. pic.twitter.com/bRJhkIWynq
Thanks for the share - this is a wonderful installation. The craftsmanship is spectacular. I wonder how far down into the ground they are anchored? Te DM also did a piece on this and it has a number of pictures. I found myself imagining the arches in the rain or in snow - it would make lovely patterns and visuals.
Six spectacular willow arches unveiled outside Windsor Castle to mark 60th anniversary of Queen's Coronation | Mail Online
Old 12-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Tour to the Great Kitchen at Windsor Castle.

Tour to the Great Kitchen | Royal Collection Trust
Old 03-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Royal Highness

On the outer walls at the southeast corner of Windsor Castle is the Queen's Tower. The Queen's Tower at one time was called the Victoria Tower.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by democratnmonocole View Post
If I had the opition of living in London in a monstrous home with hardly any privacy, or at Windsor, in the country, near a (reasonably) small city, there wouldn't be a contest. Buckingham Palace would be used to kiss hands with the PM and recieve heads of state. I'd live at Windsor in the spring and earrly summer, Balmoral in the late summer, Walmer Castle in the fall (I know it's for the Lord Warden, but I'd take over as Sovereign again), and Sandringham from Christmas until March.
Sounds like an excellent improvement on the current routine.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Royal Highness

In 1416 King Henry V feted the Holy Roman Emperor Sigismund at Windsor Castle to enlist Sigismund's support for the English claim to France.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

I went to Windsor Castle yesterday with my mum. It really is a beautiful castle and I hadn't realised how much of it had been affected by the 1992 fire. The rooms have been fixed so well you would never know there had been a fire. The artwork in the State Apartments is lovely, especially those that are on the ceiling.

Queen Mary's Doll's House was lovely too. It looks so realistic! St George's Chapel was so beautiful and so quiet. The Garter flags on the ceiling were lovely, although I was surprised how much bigger on TV it looks. George VI's and the Queen Mother's tomb was so peaceful. I hadn't realised that so many members of the family were buried there. I had thought a lot were buried at Frogmore.

The memorial for Prince Leopold, Queen Victoria's youngest son, inside the chapel was really beautiful too. The statue memorial for Princess Charlotte, George IV's only child, was so moving. To think that if she had not died the entire Royal line would be different now.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Visit Windsor Castle: Official Video

Old 04-11-2014, 02:39 AM
Courtier

I enjoyed the pictures of Windsor Castle during the President of Ireland's visit.

The courtyard is beautiful.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...90_964x643.jpg

As it the dining hall.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...uring_a_sp.jpg
Old 04-11-2014, 03:37 AM
Courtier

More courtyard pics from the Irish President's visit.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...20_964x493.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...86_962x522.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...51_964x571.jpg (might be dup from previous post.)
Old 04-11-2014, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
I enjoyed the pictures of Windsor Castle during the President of Ireland's visit.

The courtyard is beautiful.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...90_964x643.jpg

As it the dining hall.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...uring_a_sp.jpg
I did too and the airwaves here in Ireland have been talking about Windsor Castle and its rich history all week.I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there's a surge in Irish visitors to the castle this year!
Old 06-17-2014, 08:29 PM
Royal Highness

King Henry II often stayed at Windsor Castle.
In 1175 he had the outer stone curtain wall built so that more troops could be garrisoned there.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:44 AM
Commoner

Amazing old pictures that I found on Pinterest:

State Bedroom:

Queen private sitting room circa Queen Alexandra times:

Another photos of this room, when Queen Mary used it:

Queen Alexandra bedroom:

Queen Alexandra bodouir:

King George V study (HM Queen's dining room now):

Oak Room:

Rubens room:

Old 07-24-2014, 09:00 PM
Royal Highness

Queen Elizabeth I was very fond of Windsor Castle.
Sometimes she stayed there the whole of autumn and Christmas.
Shakespeare wrote The Merry Wives of Windsor to please Queen Elizabeth.

Tags
windsor castle virtual tour photo