Windsor Castle

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, that's it! Thank you so very much. Some day I hope to return to England and try to do some genealogical research. I recently discovered through the census records that my great-grandfather was in service to the Dowager Countess? of Antrim in the late nineteenth century.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I believe the surname was McDonnell, I thought the first name was Laura or maybe that was the name of a daughter who resided in the household. My papers are scattered at the moment but my grandfather was staying with his grandfather the night the census was taken. But we are getting off topic, I'm afraid, sorry to the group.

Windsor Castle Book-THE BEST

I just got a book from the library: For The King's Pleasure, The Furnishing and Decoration of George IV's Apartments at Windsor Castle By: Hugh Roberts Published 2001 by Royal Collection Enterprises Ltd.

It is simply the BEST book I have ever come across, if you are interested in the UNSEEN sections of the Castle. It talks all about the renovations that George IV started in the 1820's and focuses on the rebuilding and decoration of the Private Apartments. It has some of the best pictures, paintings and drawings of the almost all the rooms on the East and South wings of the Castle. Most of which I have never seen before. It has paintings and drawings and detailed descriptions of almost all those rooms and present day photographs of all the rooms in the East wing from the North wing down to where the White Drawing Room. But it is the detailed Map of the Private Apartments and Drawings and Paintings of those rooms that I have never seen before. I never thought that there was even a book out there that would show you that.

I wish I knew how to scan and load, at least the map of the Private Apartments, but sorry I do not.

I have recently found out that you can request books from the Public Library. If they do not have the book you can ask them to locate the book in just about any public library or university library in the USA. I have been getting and looking at and reading books that I never thought that I would see, because my local public library system would never have and I would never be able to afford to buy. Like this book about Windsor Castle retails on Amazon for $95.00 new and $82 used. I never could afford that. I have gotten books, this way, that sell for $200.00 to $300.00.

If you can get your hands on this book, I swear, you will be thanking your lucky stars.

Oil under Windsor

I recently came across an article from 1994 stating that oil might have been discovered on the grounds of the castle. I tried to find out the out come of the exploration but came up with nothing. Does any have any more information about this?

I found a small mention of the possibility of oil under the castle on Wikipedia's listing on Windsor Castle. They said the Queen had given the ok to drill an exploratory well, but I have not been able, so far, to find anything about the outcome.

Can you provide the article, because the Wikipedia I'm looking at doesn't mention anything about oil.

The Round Tower is such an iconic piece of castle architecture. Beautiful!! Thanks for posting the article.

Woww! All the pictures and info are really great... The Windsor 360 is impressive. I heard about the Windsor's round tower opening to the public and to be honest I'm quite excited to check it out. Curiosity is my weakness. :)

Floor Plan (partial) of Windsor Castle.

Here is a floor Plan of Windsor Castle.
I'll try to get the rest of it (the state rooms) posted later, kinda in a hurry today!:ohmy:
Anyway...187 is the Royal Family's private dining room,
188 the Red Drawing room.
196 the Green Drawing Room.
197 the White Drawing Room.

198-210 I don't know much except the room Prince Albert died is in one of those rooms, maybe 200 or 202. There is also a breakfast room and Prince Phillips study, I think...
214 I am sure is the Queen's Drawing Room, and 212 may be her bedroom, which I might have a pic of somewhere (when the room was Edward VII's bedroom).:flowers::flowers::flowers:
Sorry it's upside down, I'll try to fix...

Attachments

• sc0006eba9.jpg
    sc0006eba9.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 21,433
Last edited:
If I don't mistake, rooms 212-213-214 were (part of) Queen Victoria's apartment; and room 224 contains a staircase.

If I don't mistake, rooms 212-213-214 were (part of) Queen Victoria's apartment; and room 224 contains a staircase.
You are quite right!:flowers: These rooms make up what is called the Queen's Tower. the nursery suite on the top floor is where Prince Charles proposed to Diana!:flowers::ohmy:
Also, 235-243 is the Principal Guest suite housing heads of state.

Windsor castle is a very very very very very very ..... Old castle but you forget you are in one once you are inside, and based on pictures it is really regal looking inside... Speaking of which they give tours right? For when I might visit.

Windsor castle is a very very very very very very ..... Old castle but you forget you are in one once you are inside, and based on pictures it is really regal looking inside... Speaking of which they give tours right? For when I might visit.

I don't remember them 'giving tours' in the sense of having a guide take you around but you do have a tour trail inside the castle with guides/security in each room who will answer questions for you. You are free to walk the grounds that are open to the public and there is St Georges as well.

If you haven't been then it is a must.

Yes your right you can tour the state rooms, but be sure to check the opening times, the Castle is closed to the public during State visits, and other events, ie Ascot week.:flowers:

When I went to Windsor castle back in the day 1985, they gave us a tour but the only thing that I remember was a recording that said, "This castle is haunted." and then the audio goes on to take about a duel or some type of fight between two men (I believe it was over a woman). I believe that one of them died in the duel. The lights above were flickering.

Shortly after that I felt the presence of a man behind me who was practically up to my neck. Felt like someone was breathing down my neck. Whatever it was, it was aggressive and I didn't like this. Perhaps this was the one who killed the other man. The other presence I felt was a man standing near me but not wanting to come any closer. This man might have been the one who died but I don't know. For all I know it could have been reversed. I pictured in the background or in back of the room a woman deeply in distress over this duel or fight and staying put.

No one else in the group I was with had any strange experience like I did.

My dear Nascarlucy,

What a fantastic story. I had never heard of any hauntings in Windsor Castle before today. I have heard of such legends in Hampton Court with the ghost of Catherine Howard running through the corridors.

That must have been eerie. I would love to experience something like that; it would be proof to me that there is life after death!

Queen's Breakfast table.

Here is the Queen's Breakfast table at Windsor.:flowers:

Attachments

• queenstable.jpg
    queenstable.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 4,467
Visted Hampton Court but didn't experience anything like this. We were told by the guide that some people visiting have had strange experiences (feeling the presence of ghosts).

I wonder if any royals who have ever visited Windsor Castle have had experiences with ghosts or felt the presence of someone standing next to them when no one is physically there.

Private Apartments Floor Plan.

Here is another floor plan of the private apartments at Windsor.:flowers:

Attachments

• windsorcolor.jpg
    windsorcolor.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 10,675
The Queen's Breakfast Room.

This is a photo of the Queen's breakfast room during the reign of King Edward VII, this was his bedroom.:flowers:

Attachments

• wi_hi_c-c-30.jpg
    wi_hi_c-c-30.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 691
Vanya...how old is this floor plan? I see it references the Queen Victoria tower, sitting room, etc. Has it been updated.

I found it online, so I don't know the source or where it came from,
but I think it is a plan of the apartments from Queen Victoria's reign....

More Floor Plans of Windsor Castle!

For all of you floor plan addicts, like myself!!!:flowers:

Attachments

• windsor1stflcolor.jpg
    windsor1stflcolor.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 20,805
  • wind1stB.jpg
    wind1stB.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 10,777
  • wind1stA.jpg
    wind1stA.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 23,885