Westminster Hall and Westminster Abbey

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An architectural history of Westminster Hall

A stupendous building. The only secular building in these isles than can truly compete with the greatest of English medieval cathedrals.

And what a history!

Than you for this link:flowers:

Those views are amazing. What a unique perspective on a World Heritage Site.

Westminster Abbey marked the 150th anniversary of the death of Charles Dickens by projecting images from Dickens life and works onto the facade of the abbey.

Amazing and can you image all the original statues /altars,frescos before the iconoclasm of 16th and 17th centuries.

Yes I hadn't thought about that but you're right.?

There seems to be a church near to the abbey but it's in the wrong location for St Margaret's. I wonder what church it was. It seems to be where the QEII conference centre is now.

Last edited:
So it survived reformation & revolution. It's quite a tale.

What a fascinating story. I had no idea. Lovely to think there was someone artistically gifted who was able to do this.

Looking at Minster Abbey it appears to be the only pre-reformation religious house still in use. Extraordinary & wonderful.

Yes it does I just had a look at the photos online ,in a lovely part of Kent too.

The bells at Westminster Abbey will ring out at 6pm this evening 72 times in remembrance for all of those who died in the Grenfell Tower fire on this day 14th of June 2017.

Fascinating find. History continues to surprise us!

Goodness knows what else they will discover at the site they have unearthed a medieval sarcophagus could possibly be that of an abbot.

Goodness knows what else they will discover at the site they have unearthed a medieval sarcophagus could possibly be that of an abbot.

I wonder if they could identify him.

I wonder if they could identify him.

Possible and also thinking that the Great Sacristy wasn't the grandest site to be buried under given all the chapels at the Abbey.

The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Galleries will be open on Monday 12th October 2020
Westminster Abbey @wabbey
We're delighted to tell you that The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Galleries will re-open on Monday.
Set high above the Abbey floor in the 13th-century triforium, the Galleries tell the story of our thousand-year history.
Discover more and book your tickets: http://westminster-abbey.org/visit-us/plan-your-visit/the-queens-diamond-jubilee-galleries
11:10 PM · Oct 9, 2020·AgoraPulse Manager​

The short video with multiple shots of the gallery and Westminster Abbey looks magnificent.

Link to the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Galleries on the Westminster Abbey's website:
https://www.westminster-abbey.org/visit-us/plan-your-visit/the-queens-diamond-jubilee-galleries

Back
Top Bottom