Sussex Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wont stop the speculation of what celebrities they invite over. Or if they are following their 'nature loving' preaching and eating organic.

Well, one thing we know is that the "master" of the BBQ is none other than Philip, himself. I can imagine him rubbing his hands in glee just itching to get to man the grill at Frogmore Cottage.

We know the BRF are definitely not strangers to picnics and BBQs as its a long standing tradition when they're at Balmoral.

Well, one thing we know is that the "master" of the BBQ is none other than Philip, himself. I can imagine him rubbing his hands in glee just itching to get to man the grill at Frogmore Cottage.

We know the BRF are definitely not strangers to picnics and BBQs as its a long standing tradition when they're at Balmoral.

If Philip wasnt up at Sandringham most of the time, I'd suggest they could invite him over and he and Meghan could swap grilling tips :D

I always loved the images of them at Balmoral out with a picnic and portable grill, like any other family in the highlands. Seemed so natural.

:previous: Or even in her Canada days. They are becoming quite popular here. We Canadians take grilling seriously. Not unheard of to be out on the grill in -30c weather. You just put your toque and boots on.

:previous: Or even in her Canada days. They are becoming quite popular here. We Canadians take grilling seriously. Not unheard of to be out on the grill in -30c weather. You just put your toque and boots on.
Same in Scandinavia. I've been to barbecues in February.

Problem there is many in the public who think they dont have their own money. That all of their money comes from tax money. You try and argue that, and they become quite rabid with you.

The media plays off that. Feeding into 'look where your tax dollars go'.

Well that is a matter of interpretation. The Duchies are 'independent wealth' but some will not consider it 'independent' as its from the land that the institution of monarchy has enriched them with. Then there is the fact that Charles gets taxpayer money and doles it out to his kids and their wives. It all goes in the same pot for distribution as Charles sees fit.

I don't see the problem for the barbecue pit as long as the Sussexes are paying for it. Is grilling a big thing in the UK? Do people think the Sussexes are going to install this at Frogmore

https://sleequipment.com/st2400.htm...MIuPnk18fT5AIVWR-tBh0juAw8EAQYBiABEgKGcPD_BwE

On the 5 days we get in this country that aren't cold or raining, sure ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we have any information about how big Frogmore Cottage is? Because I saw a few people mention it's only a 4 bedroom house - which seems not that likely, especially with it being converted from a 5 apartments buildings. I'm just curious, it seems quite big in photos.

the plans that were submitted way back when...4 bedrooms is correct.

LaRae

5 apartments into 4 bedrooms... Seems weird.

4 large bedrooms I am sure. The entire layout changed. I don't think it is that strange. There are a few aerial shots of the house. It is not small by any means bit it is also not a grand palace either.

Indeed, I would imagine the four bedrooms to be quite substantial to include sitting area, dressing area, en-suites or bathrooms and the actual bed/sleeping area.

It may be 4 main bedrooms, i.e for Harry and Meghan, Archie and guests with other rooms for staff, protection officers or a set of rooms for Doria. Given how many staff apartments have been turned into a 4 bed house I would be surprised if more rooms aren't there for some use or another.

If the Sussexes will have to pay rent on their residences like Prince Michael or the York princesses do, are they likely to give one of them uo?

If the Sussexes will have to pay rent on their residences like Prince Michael or the York princesses do, are they likely to give one of them uo?

If they work in the U.K., they’ll need a place to stay. Easier to live at Frogmore and pay rent. And if they are working for the Crown, like the Gloucester and Kent families, the Queen or Prince Charles may pay it for them.

Actually, I believe whatever happens, it will be between Harry and Meghan and the Crown Estate to figure out what's what as far as rent. They may already have a lease in place agreed upon when they moved in that remains valid.

Both Andrew and Edward have long term leases with the Crown Estate for the properties they reside in.

They could do a trade type agreement instead of rent too. Agree to maintain the upkeep or something along the lines of Andrew's lease agreement.

LaRae

They could do a trade type agreement instead of rent too. Agree to maintain the upkeep or something along the lines of Andrew's lease agreement.

LaRae

If they're not living in the house regularly it will go downhill unless they make sure it is kept up..and as its an old building that will taek a lot of money.. So I suppose Charles will have to be the one who pays.

LaRae
But didn't Andrew paid for renovations of The Royal Lodge? I'm not 100% sure, but I think the deal was he's paying for the work that needed to be done instead of Crown Estate and that's why his rent is so low - it's not just upkeep. And the renovations on Frogmore Cottage should by now be finished (and paid for, by the Crown Estate).

Theres a National Audit Office report on the royal residences owned by Crown Estate and leased to royals which gives a lot of detail

https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2005/04/royal_property_leases.pdf

Andrew paid for £7.5million refurbishments and £1million premium for lease but pays no rent (the property was assessed as being rentable at £260,000 a year)

Edward and Sophie pay £95,000 a year with an agreement to contribute £0.58million to renovations (which was exceeded and in fact £1.38million was spent)

Theres a National Audit Office report on the royal residences owned by Crown Estate and leased to royals which gives a lot of detail

Andrew paid for £7.5million refurbishments and £1million premium for lease but pays no rent (the property was assessed as being rentable at £260,000 a year)

Edward and Sophie pay £95,000 a year with an agreement to contribute £0.58million to renovations (which was exceeded and in fact £1.38million was spent)
Thank you! :flowers: So I was half right :lol:

Based on what??? Even non working royals live in crown properties.

As long as the lease is being paid, there is no reason they couldn't keep it..

Edward and Sophie were smart. They actually rent out some of the out buildings on the property away from the house. It pays majority of their lease yearly. They pay less for it then the York girls on their tiny apartment.

Based on what??? Even non working royals live in crown properties.

As long as the lease is being paid, there is no reason they couldn't keep it..

Edward and Sophie were smart. They actually rent out some of the out buildings on the property away from the house. It pays majority of their lease yearly. They pay less for it then the York girls on their tiny apartment.

Actually, this is what the Queen did also with her property at Amner Hall before it was decided on to be a residence for the Cambridge family. Up until that time, it was leased to the family of James Everett, owner of kitchen timber company Norfolk Oak.

I would imagine actually, that Harry and Meghan already have a signed lease in place with the Crown Estate. Its a business transaction like anyone would have when living in a residence they don't own outright.

I would imagine actually, that Harry and Meghan already have a signed lease in place with the Crown Estate. Its a business transaction like anyone would have when living in a residence they don't own outright.

Serious question because I really don't know the answer...as a property belonging to the Crown Estate would there be any kind of public document or account that could be reviewed to see if this is actually the case? I ask because with all of the uproar of the last several days I'm very, very surprised that no one has yet looked up that information if it's available for viewing. I would assume that it is given how much information is known about the terms of the Wessex and York leases but maybe it's not?

I do know that some is known about the leases for Edward and Andrew but I would imagine that any business dealings between the Crown Estate and the people leasing their properties are confidential and not for public consumption.

A quick look and see did tell me that some information was acquired on some other dealings with the Crown Estate through the Freedom of Information Act. All Crown Estate properties are "owned" by the reigning monarch "in right of the Crown". Like the Royal Collection Trust, they're protected by the Crown and cannot be tampered with or sold by the person (monarch) themselves. This is where the difference lies with Balmoral and Sandringham and the Queen being able to lease out Amner Hall. The Queen physically owns those estates privately in her own right.

So... to make a long story short. Harry and Meghan are leasing Frogmore Cottage from the "Crown" with the permission of the monarch. As its own entity, the Crown Estate fully has the right to enact terms of a lease on any of their properties they hold (which I believe are quite vast). I would imagine their transactions on leases would remain private.

If they're not living in the house regularly it will go downhill unless they make sure it is kept up..and as its an old building that will taek a lot of money.. So I suppose Charles will have to be the one who pays.

Charles personally doesn't pay for much. The Duchy and his Trust pay for everything from his children to his bespoke suits.

Actually, this is what the Queen did also with her property at Amner Hall before it was decided on to be a residence for the Cambridge family. Up until that time, it was leased to the family of James Everett, owner of kitchen timber company Norfolk Oak.

There is no question there is a lease agreement in place of some kind. That’s how any crown estate is handled. Only question is the conditions. Do they have a long term lease like Edward and Andrew. Or do they have a year to year or such like the York girls on their St James apartment likely did. I assume they likely had a few year lease as I doubt when they moved in they originally planned to leave it so quickly.

Charles personally doesn't pay for much. The Duchy and his Trust pay for everything from his children to his bespoke suits.

Actually outside of the private income Charles gets from the the profits the Duchy of Cornwall earns, no other funds trickle into Charles' pockets to be used for his personal expenditures. Its all itemized and out there available for perusing should one be so inclined. ;)

Actually outside of the private income Charles gets from the the profits the Duchy of Cornwall earns, no other funds trickle into Charles' pockets to be used for his personal expenditures. Its all itemized and out there available for perusing should one be so inclined. ;)

Yes, but these expenses are paid by the Duchy and/or Prince's Trust. Itemized, of course.

When Charles gets on his po'boy horse and publicly declares he only owns one car, an Aston Martin sports car, you have to wonder about his respect for the British people and how he doesn't realize they see him in vintage Rolls Royce autos constantly and do not believe him.

Could it be that the RF feels that a member of the family could squash a Republican movement in Canada better than any Governor General could? Meghan May be the first member of the family to agree to happily live in Canada for lengths of time.

They would still be working for the firm, but in possible more welcoming environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom