The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-25-2017, 05:24 AM
Courtier

With about 80+ years left on Andrew's 99 year lease on Royal Lodge, the York girls aren't going anywhere.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:47 AM
Heir Apparent

That lease may not be transferrable to his girls. However, Andrew is going anywhere soon so it's not a solution for Harry in the near term future.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
With about 80+ years left on Andrew's 99 year lease on Royal Lodge, the York girls aren't going anywhere.
I thought I'd read that it was inheritable by the girls. Royal family members 'offered cut-price deals on properties' - Telegraph
But I thought I'd also read that it was a 99 year lease and this article states that it's a 75 year lease A 30-room mansion in the grounds of Windsor Castle? To you, Sir, £250 a week | The Independent
75 or 99, still not available for Harry.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:39 PM
Royal Highness

Its a 75 year lease and can be inherited by "named members his immediate family" but not in the last 5 years of the lease.
The National Audit Office carried out a report into the Crown Estate leasing/renting to members of the RF after MPs kicked up a fuss in 2005. The report is here https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/up...rty_leases.pdf and has a table at the back that shows the terms of the deals for Royal Lodge, Bagshot Park & Thatched House Lodge. Bit off topic but basically, yes unless Bea and Eugenie want to give up Royal Lodge it is out the running for Harry.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Its a 75 year lease and can be inherited by "named members his immediate family" but not in the last 5 years of the lease.
The National Audit Office carried out a report into the Crown Estate leasing/renting to members of the RF after MPs kicked up a fuss in 2005. The report is here https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/up...rty_leases.pdf and has a table at the back that shows the terms of the deals for Royal Lodge, Bagshot Park & Thatched House Lodge. Bit off topic but basically, yes unless Bea and Eugenie want to give up Royal Lodge it is out the running for Harry.
Something to keep in mind is having the lease paid is not the same as having the means to maintain the place. Andrew and Edward are given allowances as working royals - unless something changes significantly i dont see Beatrice and Eugenie following that path - so they would need to marry well in order to pay for the staff and upkeep of Royal Lodge.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Both Andrew and Edward are also being set up to be extremely wealthy men in their own rights by their mother - not relying on Charles for handouts - and that will be in trust funds so that the children will be able to access that for the maintenance of the houses.

Last estimate I saw was Andrew was worth around 75 million pounds with Edward at around 35 million (that was after Andrew had sold Sunninghill but before he bought the property in Switzerland). I think Anne was somewhere between the two. How that was worked out I have no idea but given the estimates of the Queen's wealth in investments is in the 100s of millions it wouldn't surprise me if they are using the same financial advisers for their private investments and doing very well with them.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Very interesting - thank you for the link. It is certainly one possibility that Harry could assume a lease on a similar property at some point since the Queen's 2 younger sons have both done so.
The terms of Andrew's lease allowed inheritance by his 'widow' a bit odd since at the time it was negotiated he was unmarried and thus would have no widow, and his 2 daughters or a trust for their sole benefit. One has to wonder, what if Andrew remarries and has a later in life child or two - they'd be left out of this arrangement. It's not unusual to set things up to include as yet unborn children here in the US, not sure whether there are provisions limiting such arrangements in Britain.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I think he will live close to William, on the same estate.

LaRae
I guess we just have to find out what other properties, like Anmer Hall, that are part of the Sandringham Estate.

I had to smile at the allowance made for Andrew's "spouse". I wonder what she knows that we don't.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I guess we just have to find out what other properties, like Anmer Hall, that are part of the Sandringham Estate.

I had to smile at the allowance made for Andrew's "spouse". I wonder what she knows that we don't.
Based on past discussions here evidently there are multiple options for Harry to choose from on the estate. Makes sense financially and since he's so close to William and his family.

Hmmm Andrew's spouse...perhaps they still consider them married...

LaRae
Old 07-25-2017, 08:06 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Hmmm Andrew's spouse...perhaps they still consider them married...

LaRae
Logic tells me that if it is a 75 year lease, they cover all bases of the "could bes". Its well within the realm of possibility that when the contract was drawn up. there was (and still is) every chance that Andrew could remarry.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I wonder if there's a betting pool on whom that could be??? <G>

LaRae
Old 07-26-2017, 12:23 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
That lease may not be transferrable to his girls. However, Andrew is going anywhere soon so it's not a solution for Harry in the near term future.
I remember reading somewhere ... Brian Hoey, I think, that the lease is for Andrew AND his children and it is for 75 years. He pays peanuts because he paid for the multi-million pound renovation. He took over the place, mind, when his children were still minors so I think it was just good parental planning in case anything happened to him while they were young.

When Andrew moves on, I just don't see the princesses, either one or both, married or unmarried, staying there. They will have death duties, and the expense of running that huge home, and securing it, might well be beyond the means of B & E and any husbands they choose. Royal Lodge has massive police protection, as Andrew is entitled to it. His daughters do not receive it anymore unless they are participating in a royal event like the Trooping, so the Royal Lodge police presence will be looked at quite carefully. Ideally, a full-time Royal who gets full-time police protection would be the most sensible kind of tenant. The large household staff that includes butler, housekeeper, maids, more than one chef, etc. is also expensive and paid for by Andrew.

I think that when ... time moves on and the Yorks are faced with all of the circumstances surrounding Royal Lodge, namely the cost of running it and their own financial resources, they might opt to sell their remaining lease back to The Crown Estate. Then, the ideal tenant will be Harry, or a widowed consort. There's really no one else. It has to be a senior royal who justifies the protection and has the means to run the place. The only other option is renting it to someone like Galen Weston.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

There will be no death duties on Royal Lodge because it doesn't belong to Andrew but to the Crown Estate. There won't be any need for security above and beyond what the girls can afford - and they will be quite wealthy in their own right given that they have at least four trust funds - or sources of money into the one trust fund - The Queen established a fund for each grandchild at birth and has added to it throughout their lives at major events. Money was put into their trust funds at the time of Andrew and Sarah's divorce - most of Sarah's divorce settlement actually went into the girls trust funds. The Queen Mother left a large trust fund to be divided between the great-grandchildren born at the time of her death (I have read both including and excluding William and Harry so who knows the truth on that - and I don't need links to online articles as I have seen those and don't trust most of them anyway) - figure is usually around 2 - 3 million each. Andrew also established a trust fund for his daughters when they were born. Now it may be that they have used all that money but I suspect that they have merged them into one fund and live very comfortably on the income the fund generates.

Sure they won't need the staff - but then again with possible two households living there maybe the will.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:43 AM
Royal Highness

Also, the property consists of a "gardener's cottage, chapel lodge, 6 lodge cottages and police accommodation" according the NAO report. I imagine currently many of these are let out to staff on favourable terms but if they wanted B and or Eugenie could lent these out on a more commercial basis and bring in some extra income to pay for the upkeep of the house.

Personally I'm having difficulty seeing Beatrice of Eugenie staying in the house after Andrew is gone as its so big and I'm not sure how they would decide who gets it. That said, they are all extremely close so I can imagine both of them living there somehow.

There are probably a lot of houses on the Windsor estate that we don't really know about so I'm sure they may be one for Harry if that's where he or the Sovereign of the time wants him to live.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Clarence House Earmarked as Potentially Prince Harry's Future Home:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...es-Camilla/amp

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-19-2017, 06:13 PM
Commoner

I find this article hard to believe.

It could be years before Charles is King. Would Nottingham Cottage accommodate Harry and Meghan and any children they may have comfortably while waiting?

Accordingly, there are obviously changes in the air. I'm Looking forward to hearing others thoughts on this, and the validity of the claim.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara77 View Post
I find this article hard to believe.

It could be years before Charles is King. Would Nottingham Cottage accommodate Harry and Meghan and any children they may have comfortably while waiting?

Accordingly, there are obviously changes in the air. I'm Looking forward to hearing others thoughts on this, and the validity of the claim.
Nottingham Cottage is okay for Harry and Meghan. It's not a home for starting a family though.

I think Harry will get a country home and his own home at Kensington Palace, but I think somebody may end up moving. Perhaps the Gloucesters.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-19-2017, 06:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Nottingham Cottage is okay for Harry and Meghan. It's not a home for starting a family though.

I think Harry will get a country home and his own home at Kensington Palace, but I think somebody may end up moving. Perhaps the Gloucesters.

I think he's going to have a place on the same estate where William's house is...and then they'll (Harry and his wife) have their home at KP too.

LaRae
Old 09-19-2017, 06:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Clarence House Earmarked as Potentially Prince Harry's Future Home:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...es-Camilla/amp
Oh, I needed that laugh.

They should go for full kit and caboodle and say Windsor Castle is being earmarked for Harry's country house.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I don't see the Gloucesters being kicked out of their home. Unless Barnwell manor is no longer being leased and they move home. But I highly doubt that will happen until the couple retire from royal duties. They have served the queen for many decades, I don't see her rewarding them by kicking them to the curb. There are other apartments to be had or reworked. The Kents are even less likely considering they no longer have a private home.

Nottingham cottage could work for a few years. The building of new offices underground is opening up space in the palace. It seems far more likely Harry and Meghan be given an apartment, and a home on one of the estates.

Tags
highgrove, prince harry, prince william, residences

« Buckingham Palace | - »