Future Home for Prince Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has already been stated that the Cambridges will be staying put long term. Clarence House seems too big for a widowed Prince Phillip (or Camilla) so it would be better for Harry to keep the building in use than just leave it without a royal in residence for a generation.

It has already been stated that the Cambridges will be staying put long term. Clarence House seems too big for a widowed Prince Phillip (or Camilla) so it would be better for Harry to keep the building in use than just leave it without a royal in residence for a generation.

Why? The Queen Mother lived alone in it for years. So I can easily imagine Camilla doing so, especially since she and Charles made it their home by renovating it.

Why? The Queen Mother lived alone in it for years. So I can easily imagine Camilla doing so, especially since she and Charles made it their home by renovating it.

You bring up an interesting point :flowers: though one doesn't want to mull over such morbid eventualities for too long: were Charles to pre-decease Camilla, where would Camilla live? I suspect, she'd retire to Raymill, and only be seen at the major royal events in June of every year (if those). What a sad eventuality that will be.

Somehow the deaths of the Queen and Philip will seem simply a passing after a full, rich life. The idea of Charles or Camilla dying (which they must, after all) seems very sad at this point. I am struck by that.

I can't see Camilla comfortably living at Clarence House without Charles there. :sad:

Last edited:

That could all just depend on where Camilla is living if/when she's widowed and what her role will be when Charles is gone.

The Queen Mother was widowed for a very long time, made Clarence House her primary home, and was very active in the reign of her daughter, who had moved into Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle.

I think if the DoE survives is wife then we'll see him be established permanently at Windsor, while Charles and Camilla move into BP part time - retaining their residence at Clarence House as well. When Charles passes, if Camilla survives him I could see her returning permanently to Clarence House while William and Kate move into BP, but I could also see her retiring to her own property (Raymill) and taking a less active Royal role.

Clarence House is such an elegant house and I hope it will remain in use as official residence to The Duke and Duchess of Clarence. The stately house would then return to its original purpose: to act as a home for the Duke of Clarence.

The King, first Prince Harry's father and then his brother, of course always will use Windsor Castle, Buckingham Palace, the palace of Holyroodhouse, Sandringham House and Balmoral Castle as his main residences through the year. No question about that.

I think if the DoE survives is wife then we'll see him be established permanently at Windsor, while Charles and Camilla move into BP part time - retaining their residence at Clarence House as well. When Charles passes, if Camilla survives him I could see her returning permanently to Clarence House while William and Kate move into BP, but I could also see her retiring to her own property (Raymill) and taking a less active Royal role.

Isn't BP in sore need of an up-date? :flowers: I think I read someone here say, once when the discussion was on this topic, that BP may not be ready for even Charles to move into, that Charles may live at Clarence House while BP goes through a long over-due refurbishment.

It seems to me, from all I have read, that it is unlikely that Harry will ever live in Clarence House. Just a hunch.

I highly doubt Charles will put his son, second-born or not, in a cottage he had built for staff at Highgrove. I can just see it now. "Harry, you can have Paul and Maria Burrell's old cottage or would you prefer Michael Fawcett's?" - I don't think so. Many, IMHO, are ignoring the message Charles sent at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee balcony appearance; Harry will be an integral part of the Monarchy - at the very least - under both his father and brother. Should he outlive his brother, I am sure he would also remain a valued counsel to a future King George as well.
The three - Charles, William, and Harry - will be the heart of the Royal Family in Charles' and William's reigns similar to how QEQM and Princess Margaret were the other two thirds of the impenetrable troika at the heart of the BRF during the most important years of the current Queen's reign.
People often made the mistake of thinking Margaret was a minor Royal, once the Queen's children were born and having their own children. It may have looked that way in public, but HM never went a day without speaking to both sister and mother, and every serious biographer of all three ladies has noted the importance of these relationships and how they impacted noticeably the Queen's reactions on subjects such as paying income tax and of course, private family issues. It is interesting to see how much the Queen has changed since their respective passings.

Back OT: So I still think it will be Highgrove leased from the Duchy for Harry's country home and an "important" flat, if not actually Wren House, in the KP compound for his London base.

Last edited:
I agree. HRH The Prince Henry, Duke of Clarence (hopefully that will be his title, I like the name) will be a very senior royal. Like HRH The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon always enjoyed a prominent place closely behind her sister, The Queen.

You bring up an interesting point :flowers: though one doesn't want to mull over such morbid eventualities for too long: were Charles to pre-decease Camilla, where would Camilla live? I suspect, she'd retire to Raymill, and only be seen at the major royal events in June of every year (if those). What a sad eventuality that will be.

Somehow the deaths of the Queen and Philip will seem simply a passing after a full, rich life. The idea of Charles or Camilla dying (which they must, after all) seems very sad at this point. I am struck by that.

I can't see Camilla comfortably living at Clarence House without Charles there. :sad:
I agree, Camilla will retire to Raymill and I don't see her taking on too many engagements if Charles were to pass away first. I see her keeping a few patronages that are close to her heart and that's it. I don't think that she will have any problems turning the "reigns" over to William and Catherine (and probably Harry).

I agree, Camilla will retire to Raymill and I don't see her taking on too many engagements if Charles were to pass away first. I see her keeping a few patronages that are close to her heart and that's it. I don't think that she will have any problems turning the "reigns" over to William and Catherine (and probably Harry).

I think we will continue to see Camilla on major events like State Visits, the Trooping the Colour, the National Remembrance, etc. In the theoretical event of King Charles' death, Camilla will be and remain a dowager to a King, stepmother to a King and I am sure the new King William will enforce that the Lady Dowager (Camilla) will, at all time, enjoy a style, (titular) dignity, rank, presence and pre-eminence according her high station, that she will be treated with all égards and receive the honours befitting a Dowager Queen.

:flowers:

Last edited:
I agree completely. I think Camilla does it out of her devotion to Charles and the immediate family, not "The Firm" as a whole and the monarchy before person. Once she is not needed to support Charles, she will go quietly and come out when asked and expected. She knows what it is to be the most hated woman in England, and will not make waves to potentially put herself back in that position, and the family will support her for what she had done for Charles. Not to bring it up, or compare I am all for letting the deceased rest, I don't think Diana would have done that if she were at that point. Diana never had the same feelings from the people. She knew she had the people, and could make waves.

I am not looking at it from the William will care for his mother, I know that. It is just from a personalities standpoint.

Before a mod says it - this is a thread about Harry. If we want to discuss the future for Camilla, there are better places in the Forums. ;)

I think Camilla will continue to promote the causes she cares about

Back on topic - If Camilla has Ray Mill and suite of rooms in London, I think that will suit her. But the shimmy of "house moves" really depends on whether Charles lives in BP and whether Harry marries. If H doesnt marry, then a suite of rooms in London (or Nottingham Cottage) plus use of a house on one of the royal estates may be enough.

IF he does marry, then I think KP (assuming a vacancy) in the longer term and purchase of an estate - similar to the situation with Princess Royal. I can see Charles doing that.

I think Harry will end up with a suitable London base (probably KP), but it wouldnt surprise me if Harry's 2nd home is in Africa. a model not unlike Princess Margaret and her home on Mustique. He has plenty of family options in Uk; he could just have one of the towers in Windsor Castle to base during polo season; or Highgrove. It all depends on his marriage and their life. but I am expecting an African home eventually between either Harry (and/or William).

Whatever happened to Treetops that was give to QEII on her marriage?

Treetops was destroyed in the Mau Mau uprising in 1954 although a new hotel has been rebuilt.

Where does Harry actually live? Is it in a cottage that W&K KP apartment overlooks? Anyone know how large Harry's home is?

Where does Harry actually live? Is it in a cottage that W&K KP apartment overlooks? Anyone know how large Harry's home is?

Harry's residence is Nottingham Cottage which is part of Kensington Palace. Its where William and Kate lived before moving into Princess Margaret's refurbished apartment 1-A. Kensington Palace also has other areas that are offices and some areas are open to the public. All KP's properties are part of the Crown Estates and are maintained through various different departments.

Nottingham Cottage (Nott Cott) is hardly a mansion. It's bigger than his former home which had been one bedroom servants' quarters, but has just two bedrooms, plus bathroom, I believe, and three rooms downstairs.

Harry's living at Nott Cott also allows him to frequently "pop" over to Apartment 1A and play with the kids, raid the refrigerator and all the things that close siblings do. :lol:

Another interesting tidbit thats been brought up recently in the Kensington Palace thread is that Diana's former apartments are now being used by William, Kate and Harry as offices. Kate recently did her stint as guest editor for the Huffington Post there during Mental Health Week.

Last edited:
Nottingham Cottage (Nott Cott) is hardly a mansion. It's bigger than his former home which had been one bedroom servants' quarters, but has just two bedrooms, plus bathroom, I believe, and three rooms downstairs.
It's fine as a bachelor home, but I believe that should he marry that he'll move into a larger home.
Apparently it also has fairly low ceilings that William kept bumping up against. Harry is just a little shorter than his brother so he might have issues with it as well.

In a more recent interview I remember Harry saying he sees George out in the yard/garden playing with toys etc....and IIRC pops over to W&K's quite a bit when they are in London.

LaRae

Do you think that Prince Harry would purchase property in Scotland? :walesflag::walesflag::walesflag:

Do you think that Prince Harry would purchase property in Scotland? :walesflag::walesflag::walesflag:

No need for him to- the royal family already has plenty of property there

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not sure that striding through the heather in a kilt is Harry's (or William's) idea of fun as an adult, actually. Apart from his love of Africa Harry seems to like skiing holidays, and also, like his mother and Yorkie cousins, vacations in some sun-soaked and private destinations.

I do think Harry likes Sandringham, because he does go there with friends to shoot. Balmoral is a magnificent estate but I agree with HRHHermione, I can't see Harry wanting a house of his own over the border. There's always room at the inn at Birkhall if the castle's closed up.

Last edited:
In a more recent interview I remember Harry saying he sees George out in the yard/garden playing with toys etc....and IIRC pops over to W&K's quite a bit when they are in London.

LaRae

May I ask a dumb question? I keep seeing "IIRC" as an abbreviation. What does it mean?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom