The National Anthem

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brian May's unconventional Anthem is great, though hard to sing along with! It was great to see him live on the roof of BP was wonderful!

The Proms always has a great a rendition of The National Anthem, though in Belfast they leave the coverage at prom in the park before the Anthem so as not to "offend".

Joss Stone- never try and do a soul version it's quite pathetic and frankly an affront!

Nice collection of pictures of the royal family with this version
(RP this would be a good addition to your royal talk for the end of the evening if you had speakers)

Great Pictures, It would be a good addition but they might be a bit shocked and I wouldn't want to upstage their Countrywomans Song:ROFLMAO:

I have to admit The Star Spangled Banner is not a great national anthem IMO. First, too hard to sing (that's what you get from borrowing a song from another country!). And the lyrics are less inspirational than other patriotic songs we have (America the Beautiful is gorgeous IMO). Although, if you're using my Get Fuzzy Standard, it does talk about bombs.

Back in the dark ages when I lived in Canada, I remember singing it every day with O Canada. But Americans don't seem to sing ours very often, except for sporting events, and I bet most of us don't know the words...

I think we need a new tune. The one we've currently got is a bit of a dirge. What about "God Save the Queen" to the tune of "Never do a tango with an eskimo?"

:previous:

Oh my! :ROFLMAO:

BeatrixFan, I owe you, Alma Cogan and YouTube a big thank-you for brightening this dull, wet, autumn day. :clap:

Australian Federal Parliament House Opening (9th May 1988). Her Majesty the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh were presence as well as Australian Prime Minster and the Opposition Leader. God Save the Queen (2 verses) was sung by Australian soprano Yvonne Kenny (start at 38:18).

One of my favourite version of God Save the Queen is sung by Katherine Jenkins. This one has three verses

Do you Niccolò Paganini (an Italian violinist, violist, guitarist, and composer) composed his variation of God Save the King? It is considered one of the hardest violin pieces to play due to the difficult techniques. The violinist in the video below is Frank Peter Zimmermann, who is, as the caption said "a highly gifted violinist"

As you may have notice, I do like Classical music (including Classical crossovers) :lol:

Last edited:
This has not been posted as far as I'm aware. A light hearted mickey take.:D

I had never heard that particular third verse before.

I look at the words from AZlyrics, which shows:

God save our gracious Queen
Long live our noble Queen
God save the Queen
Send her victorious
Happy and glorious
Long to reign over us
God save the Queen

Thy choicest gifts in store
On her be pleased to pour
Long may she reign
May she defend our laws
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice
God save the Queen

From every latent foe
From the assassins blow
God save the Queen
O'er her thine arm extend
For Britain's sake defend
Our mother, prince, and friend
God save the Queen

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/katherinejenkins/godsavethequeen3verses.html

I then looked at the wikipedia page for God Save the Queen:
Apparently, playwright Richard Sheridan composed an additional verse on May 1800, followed an assassination attempt of George III at London's Drury Lane theatre. This verse was apparently sung on the stage on the same night

From every latent foe
From the assassin's blow
God save the King
O'er him Thine arm extend
For Britain's sake defend
Our father, king, and friend
God save the King!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Save_the_Queen

This verse is the third verse in Katherine Jenkin's version.

Last edited:
Like other posters have mentioned, I do think The National Anthem probably should not be sing in the soul genre, as evident in Joss Stone and Alesha Dixon. In Alesha Dixon's case, she ended with "God save OUR Queen", rather than "God save THE Queen"

Personally, I would much rather it sung classically, whether it's from a professional opera singer or classical crossover artist. To me, a lot of pop artists tend to "Over sing it" by adding too many note changes.

The exception is Harrison Craig, who sang the Australian National Anthem (Advance Australia Fair) beautifully (in verse 1 only), despite not classically trained. His music genre on wikipedia is Pop and adult contemporary.

In the announcement of the death of Princess Diana

This is Benjamin Britten's 1962 arrangement . I have read that it is HM's favourite version but I can't find the source for that. It's certainly mine. Genuinely moving.

And in Dublin in April 2011 during the State Visit to the Irish Republic at Áras an Uachtaráin.

Wonderful to think what this visit symbolised. A great credit to President McAleese.

God save the Queen performed in 1982 in the presence of the Queen Mother ,Princess Alexandra,The Hon. Mr. Ogilvy,Lady Sarah and Viscount Linley.

Back
Top Bottom