The Duke and Duchess of Kent News and Events 1: October 2003- Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

On his third day in Dresden today, February 14, the Duke of Kent received the "Dresden Prize" - as mentioned on the previous page of this thread for his contribution to the reconciliation of Great Britain and Germany.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

:previous:

The Duke of Kent's acceptance speech

Some excerpts:
"I feel that my own contribution, such as it is, to the achievements that this award recognises is but a very small part of a huge amount of work on the part of the Dresden Trust over many years in the name of reconciliation and friendship between the people of Britain and those of Dresden and Saxony."

"Ladies and Gentlemen, WWII anniversaries are now an occasion for joint remembrance: an opportunity to pause and reflect on the horrors of war; to mourn and commemorate those who lost or gave their lives; to display our solidarity with those who survived."

"I should like to take this opportunity to remember all those who died, all who were made homeless, all who suffered the long-lasting effects of what happened that night. The loss of the beautiful city of Dresden was a terrible outcome of the effort to liberate Germany from the Nazi dictatorship."

"The reconstructed Frauenkirche is a lasting symbol of the British-German friendship which grew out of the ashes. In remembering the past, we must look to the future and reinforce the message to the younger generation: never again."

Last edited:
Royal Highness the Duke of Kent to visit Exmouth RNLI | Exeter Express and Echo
EXMOUTH RNLI’s state-of-the-art new lifeboat will receive a Royal seal of approval this month.

At his official visit on March 19, His Royal Highness the Duke of Kent, who is president of the RNLI, will be given a demonstration of the all-weather lifeboat’s prowess and meet the volunteer crew.

With their Royal cargo, the crew will launch to perform manoeuvres off Exmouth beach with coxswain Steve Hockings-Thompson demonstrating a beach landing, close to the lifeboat station before recovery to the boathouse.

The Duke will then meet station, fundraising and shop volunteers inside the boathouse.
Duke of Kent to help open ‘Tank Factory’ display at Bovington (From Bournemouth Echo)
A ROYAL visitor will help open the Tank Museum in Bovington’s new exhibition dedicated to the design and manufacture of British armoured vehicles later this month.

HRH the Duke of Kent, who is a patron of the museum, will cut the ribbon on the display, named Tank Factory, on March 26, with the help of Mavis Jones, who was a factory worker during the Second World War.

Funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, the exhibition tells the story from 1916 to the present day about the men and women who built these complex machines and how the demands of factory life affected the workforce and wider society.

Last edited:
South Devon Railway set for royal visit | Torquay Herald Express
HRH The Duke of Kent will be visiting the South Devon Railway on Thursday morning where he will be inspecting the railway's extensive engineering works and officially opening the impressive new £200,000 workshop extension.

During his stay, The Duke of Kent will meet many of the staff and volunteers who make the SDR tick ranging from the engineering, running shed, carriage and wagon personnel to footplate crews to station groups, museum and gardens workers, catering and retail staff, and permanent way and cutting back teams.

HRH the Duke of Kent visits Exmouth RNLI | Exeter Express and Echo
HRH Prince Edward, Duke of Kent who is President of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution, paid a visit to the RNLI station in Exmouth this afternoon.

The Duke met RNLI volunteers and local dignitaries including MP Hugo Swire and the Mayor of Exmouth, Bill Nash. The Prince’s visit follows the launch of the new Shannon class boat R and J Welburn in 2014.

The new boat features jets that allow it to operate in shallow waters and be intentionally beached. Devon company Supacat Ltd also designed a tractor borne carriage in conjunction with the Shannon class boat, to allow faster and safer launchand recovery time than the prior Mersey system.

On March 26 the Duke of Kent as Patron of the Tank Museum opened the new "Tank Factory" exhibition at the Tank Museum in Bovington, Dorset. He visited the Boat Building Academy and the Lyme Regis Gig Club at Monmouth Beach, Lyme Regis, Dorset and as President of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution he afterwards also visited the Lyme Regis Lifeboat Station, the Cobb, Lyme Regis.

** dorsetecho.co.uk: ROYAL VISIT: Duke of Kent in Dorset **

** wessexfm.com: Duke Of Kent Opens Tank Factory Exhibition **

** bridportnews.co.uk: Duke of Kent visits Lyme Regis RNLI station **

** bournemouthecho.co.uk: Bovington's new tank display unveiled by Duke of Kent **

Today, The Duke of Kent, Patron, The Hanover Band, will attend the Royal Marsden Benefit Concert at St. Andrew's Church

@RoyalCentral: The Duke of Kent was admitted to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary yesterday after a hip injury, Palace officials say.

@SkyRhiannon: Understood the Duke of Kent was staying privately on the Balmoral estate when he suffered hip injury, suspected to be dislocated hip

Duke of Kent in hospital with hip injury - BBC News

The Duke of Kent is in hospital with a hip injury, Buckingham Palace has confirmed.
The duke - the Queen's cousin - is in Aberdeen Royal Infirmary and is believed to have suffered the injury while staying at the Balmoral estate.
The 79-year-old's injury is suspected to be a dislocated hip.

Hope he makes a speedy recovery. I've never really though about the Queen's cousins making use of Balmoral estate but its nice that they do.

If it is a dislocated hip, as it states in the article, I hope the Medical Team treating HRH was able to put it back in place w/out having to operate to do so. What rotten timing too, & yes I know it's never good timing for this happening, but Easter Weekend when more than likely some of the Family were there w/him for Easter...Sigh...:(

Wishing the Duke a very speedy recovery!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Sorry to hear about that. I hope HRH have a speedy recovery. The hips is nothing to mess with.

:previous:

Yes indeed! Sounds like it was a reasonably straightforward dislocation that they managed to sort out without any problem. I suspect he is on painkillers and will be told to take it easy. Dislocations of any joint is extremely painful to put right!

That's quite a journey for a gentleman of his age! Good for him!

Getting here is one thing but then to visit all three cities in one day is another big ask - he will get to know the inside of planes very well.

He's already here - he arrived in Melbourne yesterday (April 21) and visited the War Memorial here.

Apart from the minute-long snippet on the Nine Afternoon News yesterday, I cannot find anything about the visit anywhere (apart from a few articles saying the Duke will be visiting).

Have just checked the Future Engagements site:
April 22 - Melbourne (where he will be visiting my old uni coincidentally)
April 23 - Adelaide
April 24 - Adelaide
April 25 - Canberra

Last edited:
He is not young, sexy or photogenic but this man knows and lives a life of service. Media may not be interested - that it to their shame. General public today seem to only understand and acknowledge what the media choose to tell them. Information/news is v narrowly focussed.

I'm declaring an interest in that I admire the Duke of Kent's work ethic and commitment to the armed forces v much.

A few reports on the Duke of Kent's visit to Australia this week:

Photo gallery of a luncheon with the Australian British Chamber of Commerce in Melbourne on April 22.
Audio of the Duke's speech at the above luncheon (skip to 04:30).

Article about the RiAus Honorary Bragg Membership presentation in Adelaide on April 23.

Article about the Duke joking about AFL football - "Somebody advised me while we were walking in Collingwood that it might be perhaps wise not to say I’d been in Hawthorn … and above all not to enter into a discussion about Aussie rules football."

The Duke of Kent attended the Anzac Day service at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra today, laying a wreath at the Stone of Remembrance.

When was the last time The Duchess of Kent was spotted? I always delight in seeing her and she always carries herself with such dignity.

When was the last time The Duchess of Kent was spotted? I always delight in seeing her and she always carries herself with such dignity.

I can't remember the last sighting but she should be showing up at the Trooping of the Colour. The Duchess usually makes an appearance with her children and grandchildren. The Duke will be there as well. As long as their health permits their attendance.

Last edited:
Her last official engagement - as in one in the CC was in 2013. She attended 2 events in 2013 - the Coronation Service and Trooping the Colour and 6 in 2012 (the Jubilee year). In 2014 she didn't attend Trooping according to the CC. There may have been a picture of her at the event but she wasn't listed as attending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom