The Duke and Duchess of Kent News and Events 2: Sep 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As far as I'm aware Louise didn't/doesn't have to ask anyone. She is entitled to use in the same way as Beatrice and Eug, she just chooses not to.
She has to ask because she isn’t a Princess even though she is and should be. Her parents and the Queen agreed long ago for her to not be styled as Princess. She’s obviously a Princess of the Blood, like the Yorks.

She has to ask because she isn’t a Princess even though she is and should be. Her parents and the Queen agreed long ago for her to not be styled as Princess. She’s obviously a Princess of the Blood, like the Yorks.

Sophie said in an interview around the time Louise turned 18 that she could use princess if she wanted to at that point but she didn't expect her to.

The Duke of Kent, a favorite of mine. 88 years old now, what a trooper. His lovely wife Katherine too.
Another one, who as a child had suffered the tragic loss of his dashing father Prince George in a horrible WWll plane crash.

Unfortunately, his Civil list monies ended too. Leaving Princess Marina with 3 young children to raise in greatly reduced circumstances.
Allegedly Marina wasn't initially wild about the Prince Edward's intended, Katherine Worsley, she had higher goals in mind, but eventually gave in.

Princess Marina died young too. Only 61, from a brain tumor. One of, if not in my opinion, the most elegant of Windsor Wives ever.

Last edited:
The Duke of Kent, a favorite of mine. 88 years old now, what a trooper. His lovely wife Katherine too.
Another one, who as a child had suffered the tragic loss of his dashing father Prince George in a horrible WWll plane crash.

Unfortunately, his Civil list monies ended too. Leaving Princess Marina with 3 young children to raise in greatly reduced circumstances.
Allegedly Marina wasn't initially wild about the Prince Edward's intended, Katherine Worsley, she had higher goals in mind, but eventually gave in.

Princess Marina died young too. Only 61, from a brain tumor. One of, if not in my opinion, the most elegant of Windsor Wives ever.
To be fair, some of that was partly self-inflicted because George and Marina had expensive taste in jewels and objets d’art and ended up selling some of them, if they lived a little more simply, there might have had more money. There were trust funds set for the Kent’s children, but Marina had no access to the trust fund money. Queen Mary did give money, but it still wasn’t enough for her. If George had lived, things would have been different.

Yes Marina wasn’t happy with her son’s choice of bride.
Princess Marina was the most glamorous and the last true royal to marry into the BRF.

I remember the portraits taken by Cecil Beaton of Princess Marina and Princess Alice. What impossibly elegant ladies. Princess Marina wearing a traditional greek dress too, wonderful.

I have nothing but respect for the Duke and Duchess of Kent (and Princess Alexandra, ofc).

The Duke of Kent attended the National Lifeboat Institute (RNLI) service at Westminster Abbey in London today.
PPE Agency

Sir Tim Lawrence was also in attendance in his role as Vice President of the RNLI

:previous:

The Duke of Kent attended in his role as President of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution:

** gettyimages gallery ** rex gallery **

He's a tough guy soldiering on despite his mobility problems. Something about the way he was gesturing today also reminded me of Prince Philip. I always think of the Duke as Queen Elizabeth's cousin, but he's also Philip's first cousin once removed.

The British-German Association presented its 2024 Medal of Honour to their Patron the Duke of Kent during a ceremony at St James's Palace yesterday, March 27:

** Pic **

Not unexpected news, even though disappointing. It’s sad to see the Kent branch fade away. They have served the nation nobly for decades. True bluebloods.

It’ll be a hard act to follow for Eddie Edinburgh.

The Duke of Kent attended his final Scots Guards' Annual Black Sunday events at Wellington Barracks today, April 14. After 50 years as the Colonel of the Scots Guards, he will pass his Colonelcy to the Duke of Edinburgh.

** gettyimages gallery **
Even though it is in no way unexpected as the Duke is 88 years old and not in the best of health anymore, i have to admit this news made me very sad !

One of the last remaining royals who has actually served in a conflict zone (Cyprus and for a breef moment in Northern Ireland)

Colonel Scots Guards for 50 years. Chancellor of the University of Surrey for almost 50 years. Grand Master of the United Grand Lodge of England for almost 60 years…. And ofcourse Duke of Kent for 82 years…..

There is a time and place for everything but this man holds some real records

Not unexpected news, even though disappointing. It’s sad to see the Kent branch fade away. They have served the nation nobly for decades. True bluebloods.

It’ll be a hard act to follow for Eddie Edinburgh.
:previous: especially after Edward leaving his Royal Marines training course after just four months. He may be qualified but I think they are running out of people with Harry gone and Andrew on the black list.

Yes, these last few years we have seen the ‘changing of the guard’ as the older generation have gradually relinquished their roles. The British Royal Family have been so fortunate in having so many long serving, dedicated members. They have set a marvellous example to their successors.

:previous: especially after Edward leaving his Royal Marines training course after just four months. He may be qualified but I think they are running out of people with Harry gone and Andrew on the black list.
It’s how it is in most royal houses nowdays… Some of the senior royals have some military training but almost noone have served in a conflict zone anymore…

Last edited:
It’s how it is in most royal houses nowdays… Some of the senior royals have some military training but almost noone have served in a conflict zone anymore…

Well, to be fair, there haven't been a lot of opportunities for them to do so. Which is a good thing. Prince Harry flew Apache helicopters in Afghanistan and his uncle Andrew served in the Falklands, both of which were potentially disastrous for the BRF because in Andrew's case, Prince William hadn't been born yet, and I don't think Prince George had been born yet, either. Which means they were the heirs to the heir, at least for a short while.

King Frederik of Denmark has had extensive military training and is a Frogman in the Royal Navy, but if Denmark ever goes to war, do you think he'll be aboard ship somewhere? The days of royalty/monarchs serving in battle are long, long gone.

Well, to be fair, there haven't been a lot of opportunities for them to do so. Which is a good thing. Prince Harry flew Apache helicopters in Afghanistan and his uncle Andrew served in the Falklands, both of which were potentially disastrous for the BRF because in Andrew's case, Prince William hadn't been born yet, and I don't think Prince George had been born yet, either. Which means they were the heirs to the heir, at least for a short while.

King Frederik of Denmark has had extensive military training and is a Frogman in the Royal Navy, but if Denmark ever goes to war, do you think he'll be aboard ship somewhere? The days of royalty/monarchs serving in battle are long, long gone.
Ofcourse…. Noone (except for a few crazy world leaders) actively wants to see war…

The King and Prince Carl Philip of Sweden have also undegone extensive military training… Even Crown Princess Victoria has undergone basic solider training… Princess Estelle will have to as we nowdays have mandatory conscription for both men and women

I am glad that the Duke was able to mark his 50th anniversary as the Colonel of the Scots Guards. A good timing to pass the baton to the next generation.

Yes, these last few years we have seen the ‘changing of the guard’ as the older generation have gradually relinquished their roles. The British Royal Family have been so fortunate in having so many long serving, dedicated members. They have set a marvellous example to their successors.
50 years ,what a milestone for the Duke!
I'm sure the Duke of Edinburgh will do him proud.

It’s great to see him attending events and engaging with these talented youngsters.

Back
Top Bottom