The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-13-2017, 09:00 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
If people here go back in the thread and watch the ITN videos I posted yesterday, then you will see something hilarious. While our remarkable 91-year-old monarch (unaided) got out of the 1902 State Landau almost as fast as Felipe, the 96-year-old Philip could be seen helping Letizia out of one of the smaler Semi-state Landaus.

Letizia wore almost towering high heels...
And I guess the D o Edinb. just wanted to be polite with a state guest! Don´t believe the Queen of Spain wouldn´t have managed to get out of that coach unhurt without help...

Old 07-13-2017, 09:05 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Pictures Day 2
071217 - Spanish Royals visit UK - Day 2 - Westminster Abbey - Images | jose gegundez | photographer

Old 07-13-2017, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

T.M.The King and Queen with HRH Prince Henry of Wales at Westminster Abbey.

PPE Agency
Old 07-13-2017, 09:10 AM
Majesty

The Duchess of Cornwall looked absolutely fabulous. Her combination of jewels was awesome and I like her regal type of dresses.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:21 AM
Majesty

does anyone know why in certain state visits guests stay at windsor, and in others at buckingham? for this very visit, in fact, F&L were going to stay at windsor until the plan changed (when the dates got changed). is there a reason for this?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 07-13-2017, 09:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Prime Minister welcomed King Felipe VI to Downing Street

@Number10gov
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEnk2OdXoAQkHT8.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEnk2QtWsAAn-VF.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEnk2QZXsAAzswC.jpg
Old 07-13-2017, 10:36 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Wasn't Letizia scheduled to go to Downing Street as well?

Strange that she has no solo event on her agenda but a free afternoon instead until the Lord Mayor Dinner, there are lots of charities that suit her field of interest and lots of members of the BRF who could go there with her. Pity!

Theresa May hails ties with Spain as she welcomes King Felipe to No10 for talks - but will he raise Gibraltar?

Old 07-13-2017, 11:02 AM
Gentry

When are they scheduled to depart? I'm wondering if they will stay for the women's Wimbledon final since a Spaniard will be playing. I know Felipe has attended many of Nadal's grand slam finals.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:02 AM
Serene Highness

I´ve ner seen a photocall of a foreign head of state´s state visit inside Downing Street 10!
Old 07-13-2017, 11:14 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I´ve ner seen a photocall of a foreign head of state´s state visit inside Downing Street 10!
it's not unusual at all
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...97_634x428.jpg
Old 07-13-2017, 11:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Letizia wore almost towering high heels...
And I guess the D o Edinb. just wanted to be polite with a state guest! Don´t believe the Queen of Spain wouldn´t have managed to get out of that coach unhurt without help...
I know, but I still find it funny.

ITN videos of the State Visit - Day 2:

King Felipe has spoken to British and Spanish company bosses at the Mansion House at a business forum where he was accompanied by the Duke of York:
Home - ITNSource News

Prince Harry carried out his first official role in a state visit as he joined the king and queen of Spain at a ceremony in Westminster Abbey. King Felipe VI laid a wreath of yellow roses and red carnations on the grave of the Unknown Warrior inside the ancient abbey in central London. The ceremony, which is custom for a visiting head of state to perform, was followed by a brief prayer led by the Dean of Westminster, the Very Rev Dr John Hall:
Home - ITNSource News

YouTube videos:

Old 07-13-2017, 12:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
T.M.The King and Queen with HRH Prince Henry of Wales at Westminster Abbey.

PPE Agency
While I like Letizia's skirt and blouse, it seems a bit too casual for today's events. She's not going to work at an office, she's at Westminster at a ceremony to honor the dead. She could have dressed more appropriately. A bad miss for Letizia today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Fabulous shoes on Mrs. May. That's all I've got.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

H.M.The King of Spain meets British Prime Minister at Downing Street.

PPE Agency
Old 07-13-2017, 12:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Mae View Post
While I like Letizia's skirt and blouse, it seems a bit too casual for today's events. She's not going to work at an office, she's at Westminster at a ceremony to honor the dead. She could have dressed more appropriately. A bad miss for Letizia today.
Give her a break ! The girl is having two back to back tiara dinners in two days, which is more than most women could handle.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Give her a break ! The girl is having two back to back tiara dinners in two days, which is more than most women could handle.
She is the Queen of Spain! I don't care how many "tiara events" she has, she can still put on a suit or appropriate dress to attend a church service.

I don't care a twit. I'm just making an observation. I dressed better when I went to Westminster Abbey while on vacay because I had respect for where I was. Surely a Queen could do the same. Defend her all you want. I don't care. But if I were Spanish I would be embarrassed.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
She is the Queen of Spain! I don't care how many "tiara events" she has, she can still put on a suit or appropriate dress to attend a church service.

I don't care a twit. I'm just making an observation. I dressed better when I went to Westminster Abbey while on vacay because I had respect for where I was. Surely a Queen could do the same. Defend her all you want. I don't care. But if I were Spanish I would be embarrassed.
It was not a Church service ...

Old 07-13-2017, 12:26 PM
Aristocracy

They were honoring the dead and there was a prayer. It was a service in a church. She should have dressed better. Bottom line. I'm through.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Wasn't Letizia scheduled to go to Downing Street as well?

Strange that she has no solo event on her agenda but a free afternoon instead until the Lord Mayor Dinner, there are lots of charities that suit her field of interest and lots of members of the BRF who could go there with her. Pity!

Theresa May hails ties with Spain as she welcomes King Felipe to No10 for talks - but will he raise Gibraltar?

that is true. if there was free time, surely they could hook her up with some charity in UK which need exposure - maybe on rare diseases, literacy, or other issues she supports? usually state visits are jam packed, but an afternoon free is most odd.

Quote:

i don't see what's wrong with letizia's outfit. a long skirt and a professional shirt. looks appropriate to me?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 07-13-2017, 12:48 PM
Courtier

In these visits, more often than not an "afternoon free" is not really free, it's just that she probably is on "private time." Perhaps meeting with very important people or their spouses, or she is out shopping or who knows. Or she has very little time to prepare for the next event if she has to do something in between.

Also visits to charitable institutions during state visits entail so much--admin arrangements from security to protocol, then looking at an organization from all angles to make sure there are no surprises, etc. Another likely scenario is having an appointment pending and up to the last minute, it couldn't be confirmed, so it's a no go.

Also possible that it's just not appropriate or good to compete with media coverage of the King going to Downing St if the Queen is elsewhere and looking pretty. Any of these scenarios is possible, based on experience so far dealing with a state visit.

Btw embarrassment because the Queen was not 100% dressed according to how you wanted her to be dressed is excessive and luckily Spaniards are not as dramatic as that. I'm not into her outfit, at the very least she should have worn closed shoes but I always love her girl boss vibe. That is not a woman you can push around.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:12 PM
Nobility

Quote:

Very much agree with you, Queen of Spain is not there as a *tourist* she is representing her country. On my 1st trip to Europe I made sure I learned about the dress code of certain places to visit and if you are going to a foreign country then you always respect that country and dress accordingly. I find there is no excuse in some of her clothing choices as it seems she is listening to people that perhaps have not been to these historical places.