The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-18-2017, 12:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
As far as a RPO having to guard the bathroom while Kate or whomever is shopping, usually, if a royal is going somewhere, the RPOs do a recee (scope out the place and know the layout of the place) beforehand and bathrooms would definitely be checked again before a royal would use it. The RPO would then stand guard outside the bathroom and prohibit anyone else from entering. That's how I understand it. When royals have a private suite at a hotel, the RPO stands outside the suite guarding the entrance therefore giving the royal some semblance of privacy.

For a bit of levity to this situation, I can just imagine the RPO going to their charge "Did you go before we leave? I'd seriously recommend it." Prevents having to use a more public restroom.

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-18-2017, 05:12 PM
Courtier

Maybe George or Charlotte, but I doubt anyone else.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:39 AM
Commoner

Was Diana entitled to Royal Protection Officers after her divorce as she was no longer a HRH and now a Private Citizen.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

I believe she was offered protection after the divorce but declined. It was her own personal decision not to have a RPO for a variety of different reasons with the top one being she felt that having a RPO would have someone "keeping an eye" on her.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:58 AM
Commoner

Would Sarah, Duchess of York then received the same offer of protection after her divorce?
Old 05-11-2018, 07:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

I don't believe so. Sarah was not expected to continue on doing royal engagements and duties and would have no need for a RPO.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:08 AM
Majesty

My understanding is the only time she would ('be entitled') to have them is when the boys were with her. Unless she was doing something officially for the BRF.

LaRae
Old 05-11-2018, 07:10 AM
Commoner

Thank you for the information you've provided, I was under the impression that being a HRH is what entitles you protection because royal girlfriends do not receive an RPO and they could still be a target for terrorists.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:28 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
My understanding is the only time she would ('be entitled') to have them is when the boys were with her. Unless she was doing something officially for the BRF.

LaRae
I'm not sure limited protection would have been true in 1996. That was before the cutbacks in the number of family members who received 24/7 protection that happened in 2010.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

I seem to remember that Diana was still regarded as a member of the Royal Family after the divorce in view of her being the mother of the heir to the throne - but I may be remembering incorrectly.

She was, as others have said, offered protection but decided against it. I believe in may have been limiting for her having RPOs since they would have been employed by the Government/Royal Family rather than her employing them.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:14 AM
Commoner

I thought you had no choice in having an RPO and you couldn't reject them. I can not imagine The Duchess of Cambridge being able to get rid of her RPO.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:07 AM
Majesty

Things are different now royal enthusiast. Very different.

LaRae
Old 05-11-2018, 09:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

I would think that any royal today would be very grateful for their RPOs. Not only are they nearby to protect their client, but they also scout out where the royal is going beforehand and knows all the ins and outs and the nooks and the crannies that need to be known.

It most certainly is a different world out there than even in Diana's time. Sure there were threats that needed to be addressed then but nothing compared to the scale of threats faced today.

BTW: RPOs are not hired by the government or the royal family themselves. They are trained and managed by the Metropolitan Police Department and Scotland Yard and are well versed in any intelligence that they need to know ahead of time.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:56 AM
Commoner

Do you think royal girlfriends should have RPOs, currently they have to be engaged to their partner to get one but I wonder whether they should have one before they get engaged?
Old 05-11-2018, 10:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal_enthusiast View Post
Do you think royal girlfriends should have RPOs, currently they have to be engaged to their partner to get one but I wonder whether they should have one before they get engaged?
No if the g/f needs them then the member of the BRF should pay for their protection or help pay for it.

Once they are engaged yes they should (and do) get RPO's.

LaRae
Old 05-11-2018, 10:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal_enthusiast View Post
No. They would have to find other ways of getting that protection. The most recent case is Meghan, and her job paid for her security when she was working at first, and eventually NBC stepped it up to 24/7 except when she's travelling overseas for pleasure as the threat level was deemed to be higher. However, most royal girlfriends probably didn't have that option. I seem to remember that Charles paid for someone before he and Camilla were married.

But I do think royal girlfriend is a terrible position. First, they don't have the weight of the palace behind them, so the newspapers feel like they can say certain things that wouldn't be said if this was a member of the royal family and she would't be able to push back. Second, the threat to their lives is real. I remember reading that Meghan along with Harry was briefed on kidnaps attempts while they were dating. It was a brief article, and didn't get a lot of traction because there were so many other things written at that time, but that'd be terrifying if she was just a random person that worked a 9-5 job.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Diana was offered and for a time accepted the RPOs after her divorce but then she came to believe they were spying on her and so told the RF she didn't want them anymore but was told she would have to have them when she had the boys with her and that any private security could not overrule the RPOs.

Sarah was not offered any RPOs after her divorce.

As for boyfriend/girlfriends - no I don't believe they should get security. As they have cut back the security from Sophie to being only when she is one royal duties and she is married to the son of the monarch I see no reason why Meghan should be getting protection due to marrying the grandson of the monarch who may, in time, become the son of the monarch. Kate is different - the future Queen - but Meghan will become less and less important as the decades go by and Kate's children grow in age (and 20 years will pass quite quickly in many ways.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

As for boyfriend/girlfriends - no I don't believe they should get security. As they have cut back the security from Sophie to being only when she is one royal duties and she is married to the son of the monarch I see no reason why Meghan should be getting protection due to marrying the grandson of the monarch who may, in time, become the son of the monarch. Kate is different - the future Queen - but Meghan will become less and less important as the decades go by and Kate's children grow in age (and 20 years will pass quite quickly in many ways.
Meghan is offered protection as the threat level assessed right now. She does get a lot more public attention than Sophie does. Add that to the fact that the number of stalkers they are monitoring went up drastically in the last year. I don't think she'll always get 24/7 protection. But given that Harry is deemed to be under high threat from terrorists due to his service, I don't think it's a stretch to say his wife, who also generates a high level of interest, needs to be protected. I don't think they are saying only so and so gets protection because of who they are other than those that are in direct line to the throne. For all the other members of the royal family, it is assessed on a security risk basis. And sure, 20 years may pass quickly, but in the meantime, she is deemed to face enough of a security risk that she's been assigned protection.

And yes, Harry might only be a grandson of the monarch right now while Edward is a son of the monarch, but in a lot of official appearances, William and Harry are given precedence over their uncles and aunt in terms of entrance and seating. And that is a decision that would directly be approved by HMQ.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:19 AM
Majesty

I don't think there should be an issue if the spouses of working royals are given RPO's.

LaRae
Old 05-11-2018, 11:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I don't think there should be an issue if the spouses of working royals are given RPO's.

LaRae
I don't either. Nor do I think it's right that the underage grandchildren of a monarch doesn't have RPO.

Tags
british royal family, gloucester, kent, kidnapping, minor hrh, royal security, security, terrorism