The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-17-2016, 12:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Oh I miss her too! Her posts were the very best.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Why did Diarist leave? I just read one of her posts about Royal Ascot from several years ago and it was so informative. Is there a way to search for posts that she wrote?

Old 06-17-2016, 01:03 PM
Heir Apparent

It is not the first time that Mary has met the Queen. I believe they did meet in private for The Prince of Wales's 60th birthday dinner/concert hosted by the Queen in 2008.

Regarding the carriage seating arrangement, I think it is decided by the big boss, Her Majesty herself. I think it was done so solely based on the well-established relationship that the Wessexes couple have formed with the Danish Crown Prince couple over the years. The Cambridges have only met them for once on public engagement plus it was their first time being at Ascot, so they were arranged to sit with their friends whom they can closely refer to rather than those they do not know very well.

God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 06-17-2016, 01:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
Why did Diarist leave? I just read one of her posts about Royal Ascot from several years ago and it was so informative. Is there a way to search for posts that she wrote?
In theory, this is a link to some
Old 06-17-2016, 01:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII View Post
It is not the first time that Mary has met the Queen. I believe they did meet in private for The Prince of Wales's 60th birthday dinner/concert hosted by the Queen in 2008.

The Cambridges have only met them for once on public engagement plus it was their first time being at Ascot, so they were arranged to sit with their friends whom they can closely refer to rather than those they do not know very well.
I don't know about the Cambridges, but William would have met them at the same 60th birthday (I assume he attended) and I have seen a photo of a young William with CP Frederik and then CP Willem Alexander at some event in London. Not sure it was London, but anyway. I think they wore a tux.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Great to see Sarah out with the family at Royal Ascot, and in the Royal Box.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-17-2016, 01:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
I don't know about the Cambridges, but William would have met them at the same 60th birthday (I assume he attended) and I have seen a photo of a young William with CP Frederik and then CP Willem Alexander at some event in London. Not sure it was London, but anyway. I think they wore a tux.
That would be the christening of Prince Constantine Alexios in London, William and Frederik are 2 of his eight godparents.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...6ae48bb1e3.jpg
Old 06-17-2016, 01:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
That would be the christening of Prince Constantine Alexios in London, William and Frederik are 2 of his eight godparents.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...6ae48bb1e3.jpg
And how does Willem Alexander fit into it?
Not sure if it was this the christening. William had hair and was wearing glasses in the photo I mean. Perhaps a birthday or some other celebration?
Old 06-17-2016, 02:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Great to see Sarah out with the family at Royal Ascot, and in the Royal Box.

Her hair looks so straggly.
It would be more flattering if she had it cut into layers.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
And how does Willem Alexander fit into it?
Not sure if it was this the christening. William had hair and was wearing glasses in the photo I mean. Perhaps a birthday or some other celebration?
Young Prince William never wore glasses, or not in public.

Google turns up no pictures of Prince William and King Wilhelm together unfortunately. That's the only picture with Frederik I can find other than the more recent visit with Catherine.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Speaking of dress codes, I am surprised that Princess Sarvath is not wearing a hat. I thought the dress code was strict. I am not criticizing, just wondering?
from Ascot's Dress Code & Style Guide:

OVERSEAS VISITORS
Overseas visitors are welcome to wear the formal National Dress of their country or Service Dress.

There is no requirement to wear a hat
Old 06-17-2016, 04:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I´m more than surprised to see the RF taking part in this day´s races, obviously with no cares in the world, after yesterday´s tragic event in Bristall!
Who cares about royal ladies wearing gloves or not on a day like this?!
The tragic murder of Jo Cox is absolutely horrific and an attack on democracy, but I'm not surprised that the Queen and the royal family attended the Royal Ascot. There is killing every day, and they couldn't have done anything special, and I'm sure the Queen has sent a letter to Jo Cox's devastated family.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:09 PM
Serene Highness

Perhaps surprised is the wrong word. But I have very mixed feelings seeing the RF attending the races in perfect spirits while an elected state servent has been killed so brutally the day before.
Jo Cox was not just anyone, but a MP of the country.

The much I enjoyed seeing the RF the days before, especially when the Cambridges and Frederik and Mary attended, the much I regret their appearance today!
Old 06-17-2016, 04:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Perhaps surprised is the wrong word. But I have very mixed feelings seeing the RF attending the races in perfect spirits while an elected state servent has been killed so brutally the day before.

The much I enjoyed seeing the RF the days before, especially when the Cambridges and Frederik and Mary attended, the much I regret their appearance today!
I get the feeling that the Queen is very much a 'get on with things', not in a nasty way but with the attitude of these idiots in the world are not going to stop life going on
Old 06-17-2016, 04:50 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:

The appropriate marks of respect have been made for Jo Cox. To postpone such a huge event such as Royal Ascot because of this event makes little sense as it harms no one. The world should not stop because one dies.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortillaChips View Post
I get the feeling that the Queen is very much a 'get on with things', not in a nasty way but with the attitude of these idiots in the world are not going to stop life going on
Yes, and knowing who kind and caring HM is, I'm sure (as I've said above) that she sent the family a letter.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
from Ascot's Dress Code & Style Guide:

OVERSEAS VISITORS
Overseas visitors are welcome to wear the formal National Dress of their country or Service Dress.

There is no requirement to wear a hat
Thanks, that makes sense.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:50 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

And another thanks from me Osipi, for sharing that little tidbit from Diarist. I don't remember her posts here, but it sounds like they were rather valuable and insightful, I'll be sure to read up on some of her old ones when I find the time. Her PM to you about Ascot was fascinating to read, and how fortunate that her family is connected with the races. I'd love to go to Ascot sometime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortillaChips View Post
In theory, this is a link to some
The link isn't working for me, it comes up with a message saying that there were no matches for this search term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskilde View Post
Pictures Crown Princess Mary chatting with Queen Elizabeth II:
Those were nice photos, it appears that Mary and HM get on rather well with each other, which is great to see. Thank you Roskilde for sharing those.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-17-2016, 06:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
The tragic murder of Jo Cox is absolutely horrific and an attack on democracy, but I'm not surprised that the Queen and the royal family attended the Royal Ascot. There is killing every day, and they couldn't have done anything special, and I'm sure the Queen has sent a letter to Jo Cox's devastated family.
It's only proper that the Ascot continues, because life must go on.
But was there any reference? Like a minute of silence? A common prayer? A mentioning in a speech?
Old 06-17-2016, 07:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
It's only proper that the Ascot continues, because life must go on.
But was there any reference? Like a minute of silence? A common prayer? A mentioning in a speech?
I'm not very interested in horse racing or fashion and therefore I haven't read any articles about it, so I don't know.

But the flag above Buckingham Palace flew at half mast today, and according to the Daily Fail and other papers, the Queen (as I guessed above) is said to have written privately to Mrs Cox's husband.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Go to Search (top right of the page), then click Advanced Search, then Search by User Name (Diarist), and you'll get hundreds of posts, all of them worth reading.

Abraham Lincoln

Tags
british royal family, royal ascot