The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-21-2015, 04:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It is strange that they don't attend. It's never explained why they don't attend Royal Ascot. Harry only started attending last year. They attend other races once in a while, but for some reason the Cambridge's don't attend Royal Ascot. Perhaps next year will be their first time attending the meeting. Then again, I said the same thing last year.
Didn't they attend in 2011, just after they got married? Or am I mistaken? I think it is indeed very odd since even the (no offence for the term) "minor" royals attend...
They don't have to attend every day but surely just turning up for one day would make no harm? Don't know...

Old 06-21-2015, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^ It was the Epsom Derby not Royal Ascot

Old 06-21-2015, 04:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Frankly I'd be embarrassed to be seen at Royal Ascot. It long ago lost its lustre. Its only the Queen who attends ever day and after HM passes I don't think we'll see many royals there.

Its not a priority for Charles and the Cambridges don't go at all.
Same with you. I think after the HM passes many things changed and not only to the Royal Ascot.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:54 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Perhaps the Cambridges just aren't horse racing enthusiasts and that kind of an outing doesn't really appeal to them. Also, they've got so much other things going on their lives with a new baby, a toddler and William's job with EAAA. Its not like Ascot is really a required duty for the members of the Royal Family to attend. We know the Queen is an avid horse race fan and Ascot is probably something that she really looks forward to every year.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-21-2015, 05:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Up in last year, William was still doing his SAR job in Wales, he would have taken off for trooping and garter day right before ascot, he probably had to return to work. It is a similar situation this year with his new job probably had to go back to training.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 06-21-2015, 05:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think we all know that the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge have their hands full with two children, but lets face it, there's nothing stopping them from attending Royal Ascot. It may be they just don't like attending. Or it may not have crossed their minds to attend. William and Catherine do attend the races once in a while, so the interest is there. It's just for some odd and unexplained reason, they don't attend Royal Ascot.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-21-2015, 05:58 PM
Serene Highness

Perhaps each successive generation of royalty has its own particular 'hobby' I don't recall that either of the Queen's immediate predecessors was a racing/horses enthusiast, although I could be totally wrong. Perhaps the Sport of Kings will lie fallow until another generation or two roll around. Charles has his gardening and his soap and cheese sales; perhaps William will stop riding ponies and go to see them run instead. And George and Charlotte will collect stamps.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-21-2015, 07:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I believe where Elizabeth got her 'bug' was from her father, King George. It's said he was a racing fan and kept a stable of racing horses.

LaRae
Old 06-21-2015, 07:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Frankly I'd be embarrassed to be seen at Royal Ascot. It long ago lost its lustre. Its only the Queen who attends ever day and after HM passes I don't think we'll see many royals there.

Its not a priority for Charles and the Cambridges don't go at all.
I have to agree here. While I'm a fan of the races and do my fair share of attending, what I see 'between the lines' (in the background of those carefully and tightly cropped pictures) does not look appealing. If you look closely at all the pictures of royals they are basically doing a 'walk-about' photo op. No real socializing is taking place, just standing about.

I suspect the royals that do attend do so in deference to the Queen, to keep her company around her racing passion.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Tiggersk8 I've looked for an update on Capel Path but so far can't find anything since yesterday when they said he was resting comfortably at the vet

I hope Zara gets in gear. I'd hate to see her miss out.

LaRae

In this case, no news is good news. ITA w/you about Zara. It's rather telling that for someone of her calibre in a sport that concentrates on the use of one's core a great deal that Zara's isn't looking how it should. Especially for someone who keeps saying she's seriously intent on competing in an Olympics that's only little under a year away.

Hope she proves us both wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Oh dear, no Windsors of day 5 to time to trawl for sniping and intrigue. Let's be honest here, the Daily Mail has the most gorgeous photos around, but their articles are often maliciouse lies, pure invention or trawled from the gutter for gossip!

However, I didn't expect to read posts castigating others about the status of the Middletons or the Rhys-Joneses. Can't we leave all that to the Daily Mail too?

Neither did I. What is it about the Middletons that make people act the way they do? I just do not get it, but it is beyond sad.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-21-2015, 08:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
In this case, no news is good news. ITA w/you about Zara. It's rather telling that for someone of her calibre in a sport that concentrates on the use of one's core a great deal that Zara's isn't looking how it should. Especially for someone who keeps saying she's seriously intent on competing in an Olympics that's only little under a year away.

Hope she proves us both wrong

Zara's career is going just fine and not all top riders look like swimsuit models. She's strong and that's a lot more important.

She's a top athlete who knows her own body. The weight speculation isn't positive in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-21-2015, 09:16 PM
Heir Apparent

And again...it's not about her weight or how she looks in appearance, I think I've said that at least 3 times myself. It's about her muscle tone.

LaRae
Old 06-21-2015, 09:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Again, as an Olympic athlete who has been competing on the world stage for a long time, she knows her body and fitness level far, far better than anyone casually commenting on her body based off of press photos.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm sure she does...I just know what it takes to ride daily and compete otherwise I wouldn't comment at all. Her core muscle tone is a surprise considering what she does, that's what's being commented on.

LaRae
Old 06-22-2015, 09:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Zara's career is going just fine and not all top riders look like swimsuit models. She's strong and that's a lot more important.

She's a top athlete who knows her own body. The weight speculation isn't positive in my opinion.

Quote:
And again...it's not about her weight or how she looks in appearance, I think I've said that at least 3 times myself. It's about her muscle tone.

LaRae

Exactly!! I think I've also said the same. This is not about weight. It's about how for someone who says she's training seriously for a shot at the Olympics next year, and considering how the British Team Selection Process takes in performance and how an Athlete is doing in their preparation for competition during the year before said Games, and yet looks like she's not in any kind of shape at all right now, is a bit shocking. At this stage of things, seeing how Zara looked last week should be worrying if you are into/follow Equestrian Sports. As I have said more than once, I really hope I am wrong, but there is a reason for concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Again, as an Olympic athlete who has been competing on the world stage for a long time, she knows her body and fitness level far, far better than anyone casually commenting on her body based off of press photos.

Quote:
I'm sure she does...I just know what it takes to ride daily and compete otherwise I wouldn't comment at all. Her core muscle tone is a surprise considering what she does, that's what's being commented on.

LaRae

As I believe I have as well. Not once have I or Pranter ever mentioned anything about Zara and weight AFAIK. As far as knowing her own body goes, Zara doesn't have the same body she had during her previous years as an Equestrienne. She's had a baby and that does change things both body and metabolism wise. She may *think* she has the time to get ready due to past experiences w/a layoff due to an injury, but that very well could end up biting her big time because of all the changes her body has gone through over the last year and a bit.

One more thing...I saw thanks to the unread feature on the App, someone I have on Ignore said something along the lines of how what I'm saying shouldn't be taken seriously because it's coming from a "Casual Fan".

Of anything that anyone could say to me as a form of insult, that is one of the ones I take great offence to. How dare you!! You don't know me and you sure as Hell do not know what I do and have done to support Canada's Athletes, but especially in the Sports I am the most passionate about. Equestrian being one of those. I have lived around Horses my entire life and watching my Cousin go up the ranks in Show Jumping to the Moment she realized she would never be good enough, regardless of how hard she worked and she *did* work, to even compete at the Junior level while heartbreaking, taught me so much about the Sport up close.

I have helped groom her horse and also have shovelled my fair share of Horse Manure from not only his Stall in the Barn at their Farm, but other stalls at their Farm as well. When staying there for Weekend Visits between our Families, that was part of the Visit. You helped out, regardless of what the task was.

I have travelled hundreds of miles to watch events in the Sports I follow passionately. I have also frozen my tail off in freezing arenas to watch the little ones play hockey or skate and been one of a very few watching kids take part in their first Show Jumping event. I have also spent thousands of dollars on both Merchandise and various Fund Raising activities because I knew the money would be going to help the Athletes due to knowing the Organization was up front and honest.

I am no "Casual Sports Fan" and never will be. I also stand by my concerns about Zara. You don't like that, that is not my problem. I hope I would never stoop to the level you have in "attempting" to brush my concerns about Zara off though. That says far more about you, than me.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:38 AM
Majesty

I read this article and gave it the "consideration" it deserved. However, a friend who was fortunate enough to be present in the Royal Enclosure and also had a pass for the parade ring, was also a spectator to what really occured at The Golden Gates.

She had a copy of the Carriage List and yes, the DM was right, Beatrice and Eugenie were in the second carriage with Princess Anne and her husband. However, when they arrived at The Golden Gates where they actually board the carriages all that happened was it was found that the original carriage list showed 1st carriage had 3 men [D of E, D of Y and Mr Edward Young] and Carriage 2 had 3 females and 1 male, (Princess Anne, her husband and Beatrice and Eugenie).

As a general rule - although sometimes broken for a good reason, eg widowhood or divorce - carriages have 2 males and 2 females, as it seems the Queen likes balance and YouTube clips appear to bear that out. So, as with the Trooping of the Colour Balcony, Prince Andrew and his organisational skills to the rescue. Balance restored and everyone happy, even the DM, who now had more "fool fodder" for the main spin.

I laughed when I read there were No Windsors there on Saturday as HM and the Duke of E were in the first carriage (HM's not a Windsor?) and Lady Helen Taylor [nee Windsor] and her husband were in the second carriage. But the Queen apparently spent much of the time in the Royal Box, but did attend in the Parade Ring to present the Cup for the Fourth Race, The Diamond Jubilee Stakes.

It was nice to see Sarah there at Ascot, however the speculation about her presence and it's possible meaning, is pretty wide of the mark as she was not even in the Royal Box, but another private box (no surprise there), but it steams me the DM constantly rag on Sarah, DoY and now Beatrice seems to be at the top of their personal snipe list. But it's really awful when we believe it.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:32 AM
Majesty

Royalista has a wonderful gallery devoted to the... eeh, facial expressions of those who were there, royals and ex-royals alike : GALLERY: Fergie's hilarious faces at family trip to Royal Ascot | Royalista

Nice pics of QEII.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Royalista has a wonderful gallery devoted to the... eeh, facial expressions of those who were there, royals and ex-royals alike : GALLERY: Fergie's hilarious faces at family trip to Royal Ascot | Royalista
Fergie is always mugging for the cameras. She makes herself look ridiculous.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:42 PM
Royal Highness

She is not mugging for the camera, she is watching a horse race. Her face shows the expressions one makes when watching a sporting event.

The websites/newspapers print the pictures they want from thousands of photographs.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

It looks like they all had fun. It's nice to see that family all together and at a prominent event.

Tags
british royal family, royal ascot