The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 04:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
If anything comes out of all this, I think it would be a realization for Meghan just what her mother-in-law faced day in and day out as The Princess of Wales and after her divorce. I also believe that all of this is not going to cause rifts in the family but actually draw them closer as a support system. It may even cement Harry and Meghan's marriage even more as they face this time together. They have each other to lean on.

Just my two cents worth here.
I think we should really leave the "Meghan is as hounded as Princess Diana" narrative, it's getting boring. Whatever nastiness is going on today with Meghan, it's not even close to what was going on in 80s and 90s with Princess Diana. I'd even say it's not even close to what Catherine had to face before the engagement, with the press literally stalking her every move, calling her names to get a reaction from here, not being able to walk to her car.

Seriously, it's just a few bad articles and people are behaving like it's the end of the world.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
I think we should really leave the "Meghan is as hounded as Princess Diana" narrative, it's getting boring. Whatever nastiness is going on today with Meghan, it's not even close to what was going on in 80s and 90s with Princess Diana. I'd even say it's not even close to what Catherine had to face before the engagement, with the press literally stalking her every move, calling her names to get a reaction from here, not being able to walk to her car.

Seriously, it's just a few bad articles and people are behaving like it's the end of the world.
It’s not a few bad articles. The Duchess of Sussex is under full attack by the UK press. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if she or Harry issued a Palace press release at some point. She’s being torn to shreds out there.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-08-2018, 04:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post

That comparison actually was made in a context that fits the subject of this thread and the relationship between Meghan and Harry (members of the BRF).

While dating, Harry could have spent hours upon hours relating to her the horrors of what his mother went through with the press and how it affected him and his family. With Meghan being exposed to a similar situation, Meghan can look at what Harry went through empathetically rather than just sympathically. A deeper resolve may grow between the two of them that their children will never have to face anything like this and they'll take steps.

Sorry if it seemed I was dragging Diana into all of this bizarre press stuffs. I should have elaborated more, I guess.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-08-2018, 04:43 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It’s not a few bad articles. The Duchess of Sussex is under full attack by the UK press. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if she or Harry issued a Palace press release at some point. She’s being torn to shreds out there.

I disagree, any formal announcement would add significant fuel to the fire. The press are bored and that’s it. When they’re back on view this drama will blow over. It’s quite unfortunate that they seem to have a string of engagements that they could have attended together and they haven’t, for reasons we don’t know of course. This is making the situation worse.

What would be a great PR move, is to get them out together, a picture would 1000% trump a social media announcement.

Catherine went through a similar attack before she married William, the only difference here is that because Meghan was based in the US it would have been hard to get momentum behind a story.

Meghan’s friend Priyanka Chopra and her new husband Nick Jonas have just been through something quite similar, after their marriage it was claimed she was a social climber and the marriage was a sham for press. She uses people and moves on. What have they done? Come out and shown themselves together, their families have supported them. Whilst they’re not “royal” they’re damn fine at quashing a story.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Once again, this thread is not about Meghan and the media/tabloids. It’s about the relationships between members of the BRF. Let’s stick to the topic, please. Any further off-topic comments will be deleted.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I disagree, any formal announcement would add significant fuel to the fire. The press are bored and that’s it. When they’re back on view this drama will blow over. It’s quite unfortunate that they seem to have a string of engagements that they could have attended together and they haven’t, for reasons we don’t know of course. This is making the situation worse.

What would be a great PR move, is to get them out together, a picture would 1000% trump a social media announcement.

Catherine went through a similar attack before she married William, the only difference here is that because Meghan was based in the US it would have been hard to get momentum behind a story.

Meghan’s friend Priyanka Chopra and her new husband Nick Jonas have just been through something quite similar, after their marriage it was claimed she was a social climber and the marriage was a sham for press. She uses people and moves on. What have they done? Come out and shown themselves together, their families have supported them. Whilst they’re not “royal” they’re damn fine at quashing a story.
I agree with you. Some official engagements together would be great and would squash the stories out there. The family is about embark on their Christmas break now though. They should do some family holiday engagements together.

Something should be done because all this stuff is getting ridiculous.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-08-2018, 06:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

I believe that the British royal family will go about their lives and their business as they've planned it to be. To do anything else would be playing to peanut gallery and they won't stoop that low.

Their private lives are just that. Private. They don't need to validate, explain, disprove or "correct" anything that isn't supposed to be in the public domain in the first place.

I would really love to hear the story of the voices from the toaster though.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Some family outings together would do wonders though. With Christmas getting close, I’m afraid the window is closing and leaving plenty of room for things to get worse.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-08-2018, 06:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think the lack of a sudden slew of "aren't we so close" pictures of the two couples just goes to prove that there isn't a problem.
So far its just malicious gossip based on very few, if any facts. The RF know if they are seen to respond to it in anyway then the media will report they are "panicked" by it.
According to reports W&H are hosting M&H for Christmas and I suspect that is a clear sign they get along just fine. Of course they may not be best friends but how many sisters-in-law are or would be expected to be? W&H were only ever going to "dift apart" once they were both married they couldn't keep up the closeness of two bereaved teenagers.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Some family outings together would do wonders though. With Christmas getting close, I’m afraid the window is closing and leaving plenty of room for things to get worse.
I think the opposite. They are going to be determined to assure that what is private, remains private. To them, this is nothing but noise to be ignored and they're not losing sleep over what other people write or say or think about their interpersonal relationships. The only people things are going to get worse for are the people that buy into the claptrap.

They have nothing to prove to anyone, anywhere.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Last year there were a slew of stories about a rift between Charles and his sons when they did the documentaries and claimed that 'no one in the family gave them any support when their mother died' - which Harry later recanted (so what is the truth we will probably never know as they said both that their father was there for them and that he wasn't).

The BRF then send William and Charles on a joint engagement to show that the stories weren't true - but it didn't work. The population still believed then, and many still do, that things aren't all the well between the princes and their father.

Joint engagements these days don't prove anything - other than the BRF knows how to put on a show of togetherness even when they can't stand each other.

The truth is we don't know whether there are any problems in the relationships.

Some people are determined to believe in the fairy tale type relationships with no issues at all ever. Some prefer to believe that the brothers are at loggerheads all the time. The reality is probably somewhere in between as is the case in normal human relationships.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Last year there were a slew of stories about a rift between Charles and his sons when they did the documentaries and claimed that 'no one in the family gave them any support when their mother died' - which Harry later recanted (so what is the truth we will probably never know as they said both that their father was there for them and that he wasn't).

The BRF then send William and Charles on a joint engagement to show that the stories weren't true - but it didn't work. The population still believed then, and many still do, that things aren't all the well between the princes and their father.

Joint engagements these days don't prove anything - other than the BRF knows how to put on a show of togetherness even when they can't stand each other.

The truth is we don't know whether there are any problems in the relationships.

Some people are determined to believe in the fairy tale type relationships with no issues at all ever. Some prefer to believe that the brothers are at loggerheads all the time. The reality is probably somewhere in between as is the case in normal human relationships.
Everyone knows that all families have their ups and downs. That’s just natural. But to publicly bash the newcomer when that newcomer haven’t done anything wrong, is completely different. Now the pops is back in the headlines with an interview and photos. It just won’t end.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-08-2018, 11:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Everyone knows that all families have their ups and downs. That’s just natural. But to publicly bash the newcomer when that newcomer haven’t done anything wrong, is completely different. Now the pops is back in the headlines with an interview and photos. It just won’t end.
What’s even more amazing is when they say it’s not her feuding with anyone, but then basically goes on to blame her for it.

EA went on Twitter and clarified that it’s ultimately just a matter of redrawing boundaries and roles as life change. But of course, she had to sensationalize her article for readership first.

Quote:

Where did he say that? Was Harry resentful that he was forced to mourn his mother in such a way? Sure. Can anyone blame him? But nowhere did he say his dad wasn’t there for him.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Where did he say that? Was Harry resentful that he was forced to mourn his mother in such a way? Sure. Can anyone blame him? But nowhere did he say his dad wasn’t there for him.
They did it in the first two of the three documentaries when they said no one gave them any help when she died.

It wasn't until the third interview that Harry said their father did help them but by then it was too little too late - Charles was again seen as the 'bad father' and his popularity plummeted again.

By saying 'no one helped them' they were saying their father didn't help them and then Harry says he did - so which is the truth?

It was the fall-out from those first two documentaries and the princes saying that they were given no help to deal with their grief that lead to the BRF sending William on an unscheduled engagement with Charles to say to the world 'see there is no rift' but the reality is that the public are now aware enough of this sort of thing to see through it.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Do you have a video?
Old 12-09-2018, 03:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
EA went on Twitter and clarified that it’s ultimately just a matter of redrawing boundaries and roles as life change. But of course, she had to sensationalize her article for readership first.
This is what I am trying very hard to understand, this redrawing of boundaries and roles stuff.... As far as I can tell Prince Charles is still the Prince of Wales and it doesn’t look like he will be King for quite some time to come. The Cambridge’s are NOT yet promoted. Strange how this redrawing of boundaries stuff within that family is starting only now Meghan’s on the scene. I mean it’s not as though she rushes ahead stepping on toes trying to stand or sit in front of other royals during official family events. So why all this mass hysteria, apprehension and smear campaign from outside and within?
Old 12-09-2018, 03:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Reem View Post
This is what I am trying very hard to understand, this redrawing of boundaries and roles stuff.... As far as I can tell Prince Charles is still the Prince of Wales and it doesn’t look like he will be King for quite some time to come. The Cambridge’s are NOT yet promoted. Strange how this redrawing of boundaries stuff within that family is starting only now Meghan’s on the scene. I mean it’s not as though she rushes ahead stepping on toes trying to stand or sit in front or beside other royals during official family events. So why all this mass hysteria, apprehension and smear campaign from outside and within?
We have no idea that this is happening within the family at all. These perceptions are put out there by ambitious royal journalists who *think* they know what is going on behind palace doors. They don't.

If you believe that these are reports that seem to come from "within" the BRF, I've got a 5 year old fruitcake I'll sell you for a really, really good deal.

Then again, I don't read the tabloid garbage either. I've better things to do.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:29 PM
Heir Apparent

It must be horrible to them…. not being authorized to put things right…. and it wouldn't help anyway…. nobody would Believe them…. better for them to ignore it but it must be very hard.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
They did it in the first two of the three documentaries when they said no one gave them any help when she died.

It wasn't until the third interview that Harry said their father did help them but by then it was too little too late - Charles was again seen as the 'bad father' and his popularity plummeted again.

By saying 'no one helped them' they were saying their father didn't help them and then Harry says he did - so which is the truth?
Except they didn’t say that. It was reported that way, but it’s not what they said. They said they *weren’t willing* let their thoughts or emotions out—that’s not the same as saying no one tryed to get them to do so or offered them the help they needed. I’m pretty sure Harry specifically said he had therapy right away but was uncooperative. You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink; along the same lines, you can get a grieving teen access to mental health specialists but you can’t make him participate in a meaningful way.

It’s quite telling that the thrust of their mental health campaign (which was the context for those interviews) isn’t about making therapy available so much as it is encouraging people to put aside their fear of talking and access the already available therapeutic resources, because they’re saying that they understand what it is to be too stubborn to participate but have also found that when you let down your guard things can get better. All that says to me that help *was* offered and they wish they’d taken it from the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Reem View Post
This is what I am trying very hard to understand, this redrawing of boundaries and roles stuff.... As far as I can tell Prince Charles is still the Prince of Wales and it doesn’t look like he will be King for quite some time to come. The Cambridge’s are NOT yet promoted. Strange how this redrawing of boundaries stuff within that family is starting only now Meghan’s on the scene. I mean it’s not as though she rushes ahead stepping on toes trying to stand or sit in front of other royals during official family events. So why all this mass hysteria, apprehension and smear campaign from outside and within?
Actually, I think we saw these changes start after the furor over Will, Kate and Harry supposedly being “work-shy.” That’s when the wheels started turning for William to quit the air ambulance and for he and Harry to become “full time.” But it took a few intermediary steps before they we’re to the point of taking on new titles, etc. We definitely saw William take on a much bigger load of things like investitures before Harry and Meghan’s engagement, and helping ease the Queen’s schedule of ceremonial duties is a big part of his new role.

And that’s what makes splitting into different offices make sense—the days of William and Harry doing essentially the same job are over. Harry increasingly has a Commonwealth focus, William increasingly takes on “standing in for the Queen” duties and is almost shadowing Charles on Duchy of Cornwall business (not public ally, but he’s now attending the duchy leadership meetings to learn the ins and outs of how it’s run).
Old 12-09-2018, 08:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

What you say makes a lot of sense, loonytick. I don't believe it all came about as a result of the reputation of being "work shy". I believe it was all planned out well in advance that William and Harry (and spouse/s) would step up as full time working royals when Philip retired and stepped down (but not out) of the public eye.

Philip retired, Harry ended his active Army service and William gave up working for EAAA and the transition began to shape up. The Queen, herself, referred to it as "Team Windsor". Charles is stepping in for his mother more and more and William is doing more and more representing the Queen, learning the ropes for the Duchy of Cornwall. Harry has married and has been appointed the Commonewealth Youth Ambassador by the Queen. Its coming to pass that William and Harry are going to have different roads to go down and different roles to play on those roads. All good for the monarchy.

To me, its kind of like the Wright Brothers. They started out as just the two of them and created the airplane. As the years passed and the technology grew and grew, we got different airlines, different manufacturers of parts and each of them became their own entity.

This all didn't happen overnight either with the Queen playing her family as pieces on a chessboard. It probably all has been mapped out for quite some time with the family meeting and agreeing to how things should go, plan for any bumps in the road and agree as a family or "Team Windsor" how things will all fall into place. Nothing left to chance.

Its interesting to watch as without being blatantly obvious, HM, The Queen is lining up all her ducks in a row to ensure a smooth transition from monarch to monarch when the time comes.

Closed Thread

Tags
british royal family, princessanne, relationship, relationships, siblings