The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-12-2017, 12:42 AM
Majesty

I think there is a major problem with perception and, with the fact of Harry marrying and an American at that has spawned dozens of YouTube videos with truly farcical information to prolifierate.

Having gotten hold of an "Order of Precedence" they have grasped it by the neck and choked the life out of it in the mistaken belief that it is "An insider's guide to who one-ups whom". Hearing on one of them how Beatrice and Eugenie under a given set of circumstances (missed what) will have to curtsey to Harry and his wife.

After I picked myself off the floor from laughing, I realised they got it all totally wrong and we all know that the day Harry bows to William will be the day he becomes King and not one second before and the day the girls bow to Harry will never see the light.

But take that bowing and curtseying and you could see a whole lot of people with their noses out of joint which of course they aren't because it's all a nonsense. But the Americans seem totally stuck on the bow/curtsey situation and see it as demeaning and humiliating. Starting the conversation from there and you see where all the imagined BRF gnashing of teeth is supposedly coming from.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing I can say with a modicum of confidence is that relationships within the British royal family and the "Firm" is not a competition. There will be no showdowns. There will be no displaying in the press how so and so cannot stand so and so and the daggers are out. Unless... its the Daily Fail and they're making things up again.

These people are normal people and like most families, there are members that are closer to each other than others. Princess Michael for example, may only have a passing "how do you do" connection with Harry and Meghan whereas George and Charlotte look forward to roughhousing with Harry while Auntie Meghan makes them a gooey dessert.

These are not people that gather in an office day in and day out and gossip about each other at the water cooler.

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-12-2017, 06:08 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfield Bakery View Post
I'm waiting for the inevitable showdown between Prince Andrew, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, Princesses Anne and Alexandra, and Michael and Meghan regarding relationships. As a big royal family, they will have to relate and communicate with each other.

Anne is a no-nonsense princess, I wonder how she will feel about her new niece-in-law.
Perhaps as a fellow human being Anne may just be happy that her nephew has found happiness as her own children Peter & Zara have found. Also, having just celebrated the happy 25th anniversary of her second marriage, Princess Anne may appreciate that you can be a senior member of the BRF and have a happy second marriage.

There’s a possibility that Princess Anne has already met Meghan. Prince Harry said during his engagement interview that Meghan had already met key members of both sides of his family.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:03 AM
Heir Apparent

I know the DM is not always the most accurate source, but according to them, Harry and Meghan really hit it off with Eugenie and Jack, and the two couples have spent quite a bit of time together.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:07 AM
Majesty

Besides which, Princesses Alexandra and Michael probably see Harry about three or four times a year, if that, at the extended family get-togethers. There's no reason to suppose that situation is going to change with Harry's marriage, or that it would propel a 'showdown' with anyone.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:14 AM
Majesty

Maybe we may expect another engagement announcement soon?
Zara and Mike's engegement was announced just a few weeks after that of William and Kate's (and both weddings took place in just a few weeks' period)
Old 12-12-2017, 08:00 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I'm waiting for the inevitable showdown between Prince Andrew, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, Princesses Anne and Alexandra, and Michael and Meghan regarding relationships. As a big royal family, they will have to relate and communicate with each other.

Anne is a no-nonsense princess, I wonder how she will feel about her new niece-in-law.

As has been said she has already struck up a friendship with the York girls .

And why would Alexandra whose own grand daughter is a budding actress who has already made her TV debut ,or Anne whose own daughter married a man who for all intent and purposes is a celebrity and whose son also married a foreigner be complaining

And Princess Micheal also has a daughter-in-law who had the same job a Meghan and carried on with it until she had her kids
Old 12-12-2017, 08:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
And why would Alexandra whose own grand daughter is a budding actress who has already made her TV debut ,or Anne whose own daughter married a man who for all intent and purposes is a celebrity and whose son also married a foreigner be complain
And let’s not forget, while Harry never watched Suits, Mike Tindall is a fan of the show prior to this as he has publicly said so. I highly doubt they have problems with it. Besides, I’d think Anne, as a no-nonsense person, would appreciate someone who is a self made woman.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:

And why would Alexandra whose own grand daughter is a budding actress who has already made her TV debut Alexandra whose own grand daughter is a budding actress who has already made her TV debut
And Princess Micheal also has a daughter-in-law who had the same job a Meghan and carried on with it until she had her kids
Which Alexandra's granddaughter is an actress? Zenouska or Flora?
And Anne's herself didn't marry a prince.
Why Sophie WInkleman cannot continue her career? Her husband is so distant relative to the Queen that I was sure he leads a life like commoners.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:57 AM
Nobility

Anne did not marry a prince, true, but she is a Princess of the blood thus she is a senior royal and still in the line of succession to the throne. And Lord Frederick is also in line to the throne regardless of how relatively ‘distant’ to the Queen he is. As has been stated already; actresses, foreigners, minor celebrities marrying into the BRF is not a new phenomenon.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:31 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Which Alexandra's granddaughter is an actress? Zenouska or Flora?
And Anne's herself didn't marry a prince.
Why Sophie WInkleman cannot continue her career? Her husband is so distant relative to the Queen that I was sure he leads a life like commoners.

Flora .She appeared in Downton Abbey before going to the University of St Andrews

Apparently I misspoke about Sophie Winkleman as she has now started back -including an episode of Hot In Cleveland where she played the sister of one of the main cast,and who makes a move on a fictional Duke who is 47th in line to the throne which at the time her daughter was

"Hot in Cleveland" We Could Be Royals (TV Episode 2015) - IMDb
Quote:
At the end of the episode, Jill (Sophie Winkelman) makes note of the fact that the Earl of Cleveland is 47th in line to the throne. Winkelman's eldest daughter, Maud Windsor, through her marriage to Lord Frederick Windsor, is actually 47th in line to the British throne as a great-granddaughter of King George V through his fourth son, Prince George, Duke of Kent.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Flora .She appeared in Downton Abbey before going to the University of St Andrews

Apparently I misspoke about Sophie Winkleman as she has now started back -including an episode of Hot In Cleveland where she played the sister of one of the main cast,and who makes a move on a fictional Duke who is 47th in line to the throne which at the time her daughter was

"Hot in Cleveland" We Could Be Royals (TV Episode 2015) - IMDb
Just a note to clarify things. I seriously doubt that Sophie is anywhere near reviving her acting career at this time as she was recently in a pretty serious car accident.

Sophie Winkleman seriously injured in car crash with suspected broken back – Royal Central
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-12-2017, 10:24 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Just a note to clarify things. I seriously doubt that Sophie is anywhere near reviving her acting career at this time as she was recently in a pretty serious car accident.

Sophie Winkleman seriously injured in car crash with suspected broken back – Royal Central

That's not good .

But she is listed in the cast for Trust (a series about JP Getty III's kidnapping)that is due to air next year and had been filmed in the summer- so prior to the accident she was dipping her toe back in
Old 12-12-2017, 10:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Princess Michael is a wordy woman.
She's wordy but very discrete. The British press have caricatured her but the vast majority of the Princess' interviewers always find themselves knocked back when they ask anything too personal. She was quite sharp in an interview with Conrad Black on the subject: "Why are you asking me about other members of the family? You know I wouldn't say anything!". She's passed comment on deceased members of the family, she's given fairly bland congratulations and praise for living members but anyone who thinks Princess Michael (or Princess Alexandra or the Princess Royal for that matter) will have some kind of public fit or even offer private scorn is really buying too much into Daily Mail gossip fodder.

The Princess Royal is divorced and remarried. I also think she couldn't give a stuff about the backgrounds or passions of other members of the family or what they do and don't do. As she said when William was engaged, "Very happy for them but none of my business".

The Duke of York may be a little sour in being pushed down a peg or two in the near future and his role will naturally diminish as Harry and Meghan have children and take on more shared duties. But that's just Andrew and we're all used to that by now.

I don't think Meghan could step on any royal toes, even if she wanted to. If anyone does dislike her within the family, they'll keep their mouths shut and just get on with it.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

We're on the outside looking in. And what the tabloids print tends not to bear much resemblance to reality. I would imagine the Windsors & Mountbatten-Windsors are like many other large, extended families in terms of relationships, except for their status as one of the more historic and famous families in the world.

In any case, I would think that all royal family members who love Harry are happy for him and will be both welcoming and respectful toward his fiancee. Plus Meghan seems to have an innate ability to charm most everyone she meets up close and personal. And this was apparently the case with her from a young age onward, well before she became an actor.

Meghan clearly has a joie de vivre and a goofy sense of humor. And reportedly the royals tend to enjoy having lighthearted fun with each other when they convene for private family gatherings.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:11 AM
Heir Apparent

I think that while they are close than some families in the modern world, it is very far from being a love fest where they spend all their time together or indulge in "Dallas" type family feuds. Most of htem are busy people.. Anne certainly isn't the type to waste her energy bothering too much about her nephew's new wife...
Old 12-20-2017, 09:22 PM
Royal Highness

Well, there's the immediate family and the extended family. I've heard that the immediate royal family do enjoy having lighthearted fun together. Why not have a teasing sense of humor when you are a family living in such a goldfish bowl existence? I would imagine they let their hair down a bit and are real with each other behind closed doors in a way that they aren't in public.

Aside from the royalty factor, people are people and families are made up of all kinds of different personalities who don't always get along with each other or see eye-to-eye. The Queen and Prince Philip likely usually have the last word in any major disputes, but I've heard the Queen tends to be forgiving and lenient, while strict about observing certain rituals and traditions. I'm sure she's very partial to all of her grandchildren and great-grands.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Zara and Mike's engegement was announced just a few weeks after that of William and Kate's (and both weddings took place in just a few weeks' period)
I wouldn't be surpised either (although the weddings took place within a few months of each other instead of a few weeks).
Old 12-20-2017, 11:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
While the announcement was just over a month after the Cambridges (Cambridges November 16, Zara December 21) the weddings were three months apart (Cambridges April 29, Zara July 30).

Zara is a private citizen though, and her wedding was a more private event. While Eugenie certainly would have a much smaller wedding then Harry, there would likely be some more pomp then Zara.

But that said, I highly doubt Harry would have an issue if his cousin announced sometime soon. He and the Yorks are quite close. And most adults realize the entire year doesn't stop for their own event. A nice fall wedding for Eugenie would be a nice thought.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
While the announcement was just over a month after the Cambridges (Cambridges November 16, Zara December 21) the weddings were three months apart (Cambridges April 29, Zara July 30).

Zara is a private citizen though, and her wedding was a more private event. While Eugenie certainly would have a much smaller wedding then Harry, there would likely be some more pomp then Zara.

But that said, I highly doubt Harry would have an issue if his cousin announced sometime soon. He and the Yorks are quite close. And most adults realize the entire year doesn't stop for their own event. A nice fall wedding for Eugenie would be a nice thought.
Honestly, I don’t see the York girls having weddings that are televised or bigger than Peter Phillips’. I wouldn’t rule out a wedding on the same scale as Zara for them.

Tags
british royal family, princessanne, relationship, relationships, siblings