Peter Phillips Wedding 2008: the Royal Family, Hello! Magazine and "Freebies"

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've checked out all of these sources.

In my opinion, not one is reputable nor above reproach. The have an agenda to fill, it's as simple as that.

As for '...according to The Sun...' look at the proprietorship, which is notoriously anti-monarchical.

The wedding proved to be a very happy family occasion; the wider world was granted a delightful glimpse of royals at play; Peter and Autumn were able to entertain their families and friends in a right-royal style which cost the taxpayers not one penny, and those grumbling are predominatly those elements of the press which were excluded and subsequently, trying to make a major issue of the event.

I don't believe that Peter Phillips, for one moment, would have embarked on any plan which he thought would cause trouble or consternation for his family, much less his grandmother.

Wow it has been a journey. I feel bad for all the negative press received by this scandal, but it brings up a good point; things like this are bound to happen when the royals marry "out of their circle". Kate and Chelsey are from blue blooded, wealthy families where they would never 'need' to pull this sort of wagish behavior. Until recently most royals have married cousins (Sophie) or courtiers or the extreamly wealthy who run in royal circles. Autumn needed the money, people sell out for money. She sold out for money at the expense of the Royal Family.
Do you think she would even have bene allowed to date one of the princes given her background? I think not.
That being said, I wish them all the happines in the world. I hope they can soon go back to a private happy life.

Where on earth did you hear that Chelsy and Kate have blue blood? They don´t, and Sophie, as nice and pretty she is, is not a cousin or anything like a cousin. Camilla on the contrary could be said that she is "maybe" a cousin.....as some people think, even though the family denies it, that her grandmother was King Edward VII´s daughter.

On the other hand, after all of this brouhaha, Peter and Autumn only got paid 500, 000 Pounds? They should have held out for more money. Hello Magazne will make a killing off of those photos!

I agree with you. I am surprised they were paid only 500, 000 pounds myself. Peter and Autumn sold the RF rather cheaply, it is almost insulting. But if Autumn actually did the deal it would explain the cheap price. I don't think she understood the value of the what she was selling. But the worse part is that Peter and Anne must have heard the amount before the deal closed and they thought it was a good price. :bang:

Wow it has been a journey. I feel bad for all the negative press received by this scandal, but it brings up a good point; things like this are bound to happen when the royals marry "out of their circle". Kate and Chelsey are from blue blooded, wealthy families where they would never 'need' to pull this sort of wagish behavior.
Great heavens! Wherever do you get the idea that either Kate or Chelsy were either "blue blooded"? :ROFLMAO:

To put it politely, if one is thinking about bloodlines, in the words of historical romance novelists, both young women have fathers "in trade", to put it bluntly. Common as dirt . . . . just like 99.9% of the population! :whistling:

I don't believe that Peter Phillips, for one moment, would have embarked on any plan which he thought would cause trouble or consternation for his family, much less his grandmother.

Neither do I Polly.

Well, people have done far worse things than that for half a million pounds. And of course such an offer is very tempting, esp. if PP had to pay much for this wedding, but still I wish the RF had some way to prevent their members from milking their position like this. It is not only Peter Philips of course, but in Belgium recently Prince Laurent sold pictures of his family to a boulevard magazine (which also caused a storm of critisism).

What really gets me about the Hello spread is that Hello turned it into the Kate, Harry and Chelsy show, making it appear Peter and Autumn sold out their royal cousins and their respective girlfriends. The pictures of the three mentioned seemed to out number those of the bride and groom. Peter and Autumn supposedly had approval of the photos printed, though I imagine they approved hundreds of shots and had no knowledge of the final layout until it appeared. One can't imagine they were very happy to see they were used merely for Hello to gain access to Harry, Chelsy and Kate, even if they were paid a hefty sum. But then how could they not have realized that Peter, as a private citizen, would not merit a lot of attention and the focus would be on H, C & K?

I didn't like that the couple did the deal with Hello from day one, as I feel it cheapens and weakens the monarchy at a time when it is in need of all the strength it can muster.

Cat

You misunderstand, I'm annoyed with William and Harry who have criticised Peter and Autumn for letting Hello in. Nothing to do with the girls, I didn't say it did. Personally I think the Hello thing is no big deal but it becomes one when William and Harry (who are proving to be pretty crap Royals IMO) have a pop at Peter about it.

I guess I assumed there wasn't a difference b/c the only reason the princes seem to be complaining is b/c of the intrusive coverage into their lives. I haven't read anything saying they would be dissapointed if it had been just of Peter and Autmn.

Well, people have done far worse things than that for half a million pounds. And of course such an offer is very tempting, esp. if PP had to pay much for this wedding, but still I wish the RF had some way to prevent their members from milking their position like this. It is not only Peter Philips of course, but in Belgium recently Prince Laurent sold pictures of his family to a boulevard magazine (which also caused a storm of critisism).

Well I said I had already said my piece on this in the wedding thread but I will add one more thing and then this will really be it.

Yes, I totally agree with you, Marengo.

I don't think one needs to be a jealous Daily Mail or a publicity grabbing politician to call the deal tacky. Just knowing the fact that Peter sold the picture rights to Hello for half a million pounds was enough for me to make an opinion.

The tackiness is that the deal looks more Becks and Posh than the Windsors. I like Becks but he's a working class footballer who comes from humble origins, has a low education and an athletic career with a very very short window of time for making money. Coming from circumstances like that, I think he has a right to maximize his income from whatever sources he can, including selling photo rights to Hello, etc. It looks cheap but seeing how many athletes end up broke and with no prospects after retiring in their twenties, it still looks the best option he can take. Deals like this have an air of desperation about them; that is what makes them look tacky.

But Peter is not a low educated, working class, footballer who risks a career ending injury everytime he goes to work; His upbringing has had a lot more privilege. The commodity he sold to Hello is a national treasure and one that is in trouble right now. If Beck's publicity stunts backfire, it doesn't hurt Beck's family because Becks created his own celebrity. Peter did not create his celebrity status himself; it came through his mother and his grandmother. There are enough people that want to do away with the monarchy for a backfired publicity stunt to do real damage to the monarchy.

I know about Andrew and Sarah but the Royal Family was in a lot better shape when they did it and I still think its inadvisable that they did it too.

I'm pretty sure everyone knew Hello was taking pics the whole time to be published. I don't buy this whole story about people being pissed off...

I fully concur with you, ysbel. I dare to presume that these magazine wedding deals certainly depend on how many other important people or celebrities attend as guests. In light of the said, it did look like Mr. & Mrs. Philips "sold" their royal relatives. It is truly sad that Her Majesty was put in such awkward situation. It would have been impossible for her not attend her own grandson's wedding. I just wonder why Princess Royal refused to help out with finances.

I've checked out all of these sources.

In my opinion, not one is reputable nor above reproach. The have an agenda to fill, it's as simple as that.

As for '...according to The Sun...' look at the proprietorship, which is notoriously anti-monarchical.

The wedding proved to be a very happy family occasion; the wider world was granted a delightful glimpse of royals at play; Peter and Autumn were able to entertain their families and friends in a right-royal style which cost the taxpayers not one penny, and those grumbling are predominatly those elements of the press which were excluded and subsequently, trying to make a major issue of the event.

Everything I wanted to say, you said so well here. :flowers:

I think it is hysterically funny that the DM and Sun are wagging their hypocritical fingers at Hello. Both publications would be screaming about the beauty of the wedding from the rooftops if they had been given the exclusive. Talk about sour grapes!

I don't believe the royals new nothing about the pictures that is not possible. I don't believe the palace didn't check everyone that was working this wedding. I doubt that the palace would admit that the Queen knew it would cause an even bigger commotion. I wonder how Harry and William feel about their cousin showing their girlfriends in a private moment though.

As much as my head is saying "these people just want to be normal" I know that you here that say that Hello should only be for celebs are completely right!

These are people that want to be normal, but should know that they never will be, and that this woudl cause a psuedo scandal...

Peter and Autum should pay their wedding bill and donate the balance of the magazine sale proceeds to charity.

looks like chelsey and harry never left each others sides. Chelsey looks stunning.

so.. why did they cut the cake with a sword?

Sophie is 11th cousin to her husband. Fact.
Chelsey and Kate are both from wealthy families with "connections" to royalty.

So the uproar is over the fact that they could have gotten more money ? lol Is there anything these people do that doesn't get them negative press? Maybe it's because I'm American but I really don't understand how this is reg. as a scandal or whatever the word is for it. Take the money or donate it. I don't see how pictures of everyone looking good and happy and scandal free could be this bad.

I'm sure I saw something on the royalist website a video that said Sophie has the same sort of bloodline as Diana the stewart bloodline or something???

Nice wedding pictures, can't wait to get the Hello mag to see the pics, because I live in Australia I have to wait a week for it.

The only "connections" beteen Chelsy and Kate are those they have with their respective "boyfriends", Harry and William. Their families do not move in the same circles. ;)

I thought William being absent at the wedding was not a good decision. But seeing as how Hello! turned Peter and Autumn's wedding into the Harry-Kate-Chelsy show, I think it's been all for the good that he did stay away. Peter is one of my favorites from the British RF but selling your privacy and those of your royal relatives for 500 grand is just wrong and not a very classy thing to do. If you wanted to pay for your own wedding, get a smaller one. If you wanted to share the day with the world, then release a few, well-chosen photos. But what they did...well, it's just in bad taste, imo.

You are right about Sophie. Descendant of the Stewarts. I remember when they were married people were amazed at her likeness to Princess Diana who was also descended from the Stewarts through Charles II.
You are wrong about Chelsy and Kate though. :flowers:

The Mail Online has a really funny article entitled Presenting the Windsor wedding album from Hell(o!)

Presenting the Windsor wedding album from Hell(o!) | Mail Online
cute-tiger-2932.gif

There is a photo of Harry and Chelsey laughing with Ella Windsor at the reception but Ella's back is to the camera. I think that if Chelsey and Kate hadn't been there there would have been a lot more pics of Ella, Freddie etc but the magazine went into overdrive with the pics of Chelsey and Kate and it kind of annoyed me as I would have liked to have seen more photos of the young Royals but they seem to have been by-passed for the Royal girlfriends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom