The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Commoner

I will be very happy to see all the photos, once the magazine arrives in Alaska. In regards to the wedding, and how no one was going to pay for it, what exactly was expected of them? Could they have just eloped, had a small wedding in Scotland? With Peter apparently in line to a throne he probably would never ascend to, are there rules he has to conform to in marrying? Anyone know? Could this also have been a misunderstanding between family members, with no one saying at one point, we can pay for this, but not for that? All in all, it looked fairly straighforward, nothing over the top, per se.

All in all, in 10 years time, the spotlight will be on another wedding, another couple. I wish Peter and Autumn all the best.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:46 AM
Aristocracy

Carole Malone

I couldn't agree with this more.

This sums up exactly how I feel about the Hello Deal........... a columnist that sees sense and it's a tabloid

Old 05-25-2008, 07:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman View Post
Carole Malone

This sums up exactly how I feel about the Hello Deal........... a columnist that sees sense and it's a tabloid
That´s very funny. Tighter than fish´s backside are they? No doubt about it Hello is a great way to get a really fabulous wedding for free.
I think we just might get a few more of these Hello weddings in the future.
Just as well it is nice to see the pics.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Aristocracy

Much ado about nothing this so called Hello outrage.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Nobility

While I think the outrage reported by various "rags" all boils down to sour grapes on their part, I do think the Hello deal was ill advised. Here is an editorial that makes a lot of sense to me, though takes a slightly opposing view to Ms. Malone.

The Laird o' Thistle

Cat
Old 05-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Carole Malone

My goodness, I can't believe that I agree with a NotW columnist!

Quote:
DOES anyone actually BELIEVE all this tosh about how the royal family—the Queen in particular—are incensed that photos of them at Peter and Autumn Phillips' wedding have been splashed over 100 pages of Hello!?
The very idea that the 11th in line to the throne and his very nice girlfriend—who I suspect would rather eat horse manure than upset the Queen —have gone ahead with a £500,000 deal without seeking HM's approval for every cough and spit of the day's events is nothing short of preposterous.
It's also an insult to the intelligence of the British people
Well said Madam!
Old 05-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Aristocracy

I was shocked too when I read it. I don't normally agree with Carole Malone
Old 05-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCat View Post
Here is another one that makes perfect sense, though takes a slightly opposing view to Ms. Malone.

The Laird o' Thistle

Cat
I agree except for Beatrice´s hat.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezza View Post
I'm sure I saw something on the royalist website a video that said Sophie has the same sort of bloodline as Diana the stewart bloodline or something???
Here you go Relationship

Thans for the photos to all
Old 05-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Serene Highness

I agree with the article by Carole Malone in general, too. Something like this would not have passed the Queen's notice. The article says it was "good PR" for the royal family and from my admittedly (North American) standpoint, it was. The photographs were so harmless. The royals weren't "falling out of nightclubs drunk". They're obviously wealthier than the average person, and the wedding was held at a royal chapel and the reception at a royal residence...but besides that, I thought the pictures in Hello showed a scene not much different from the one I expect at my own cousin's wedding next month. A young couple, obviously very in love, on their wedding day, and a lot of happy, supportive family and friends. I thought it humanized the royal family without remotely degrading them.

I know the pictures of the wedding were splashed across Hello in 59 colour pages, but all those pages showed some of the least damaging private images of the royal family, purely from a perspective of what they were doing in the pictures, that I've seen. But again, my perspective is Canadian...we don't have a royal family (in the country, at least!) I understand the British have certain expectations of propriety and royal behaviour that I wouldn't.

But I just think the relationship between public figures and the media is so exploitative sometimes...people do ridiculous things to get media attention, or the media goes out of its way to get embarrassing or private images of them. Here I see capitalism working in a healthier way...if it's possible for capitalism to be truly "healthy". No one was forcing Peter and Autumn to sell images of themselves, and Hello took attractive pictures of the family without trying to embarrass them or compromise their privacy beyond the extent Peter and Autumn had allowed.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Nobility

Did anyone notice Zara's boyfriend in the official family photo. They must be as good as engaged. He wasn't included in the photos of the 60th anniversary.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
I think it is hysterically funny that the DM and Sun are wagging their hypocritical fingers at Hello. Both publications would be screaming about the beauty of the wedding from the rooftops if they had been given the exclusive. Talk about sour grapes!

BINGO! Their behavior and words screams of envy. Plain and simple. Don't be fooled because that is what it is in the end.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:13 AM
Aristocracy

I'm shocked the News of the world columnist is making perfect sense.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Carole Malone

Sheesh...and did you read her comments on Cherie Blair??! Remind me to NEVER cross this woman if I ever come to Britain and become famous. Ouch!!
Old 05-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Well, to me the big deal is that things like this make royalty move on a slippery road with ' celebs' . Apart from that, it is rather problematic if royals milk their positions too clearly, which is the case here. And yes, I know that PP is not royal, but being a grandson of the Queen of England is good enough for me.

Exactly. And I don't buy that crap about the "only people that matter" being in celeb magazine. The people that appear in those types of magazines are usually simply tacky celebs that no one will remember a decade from now!

It's maddening. There is no way of escaping the over the top celeb culture and heaven help the British RF if the only way for them to appear modern and up with the times is to sell their respective stories to this trash.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Aristocracy

I got a copy of Hello yesterday, and I don't know what all the fuss is about it.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Weren't the Earl of Ulster's and Lady Helen Windsor's weddings also featured in Hello? Presumably the magazine paid for access there.

This whole business is really worrying. It reminds me of the way the press managed to whip up public sentiment against the Queen when they wanted to deflect attention from themselves after Diana's death, and then the way the Mail spearheaded that campaign to make Camilla back away from going to Diana's memorial service. I've been seeing other outlets (like AOL) announcing flat-out that Autumn Kelly engineered this deal and the Queen is furious, which means that they took the innuendo in the Mail, read it as though it was fact, and reported it accordingly. Now the "Autumn is a grasping low-life who knowingly embarrassed and infuriated the Queen" is going to become part of the history of the royal family as far as the media is concerned, and people will fall for it because they take this rubbish at face value.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:24 AM
Heir Apparent

The Press is incredibly powerful. It's frightening how a person's reputation can be ruined with an article or two.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Royal Highness

I saw the pictures in the magazine HOLA, which is equal to HELLO. I don´t see what the fuss is all about. The pictures just showed a wedding ot two young people, their family and friends. I saw nothing that shocked me or could do any harm to the Royal Family whom I respect. On the contrary. It showed them happy and having fun. Nobody was doing naughty things. What´s so bad about that? I loved to see the pictures of Margarita and Charles Armstrong Jones. Also, what a shame that neither Louise nor little James were present.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Royal Highness

Usually you have the "official pictures" show up in Hello Magazine from all the royal weddings...not any reception pictures..

I have my copy and studied all of them. First, the reception is nothing short of elegant, from the pavillion proposed by the Duke of Edinburgh, to the sleek modern bar area for the younger set to enjoy. They did a beautiful job.

BUT.. I could see how some royals would be feel shocked and blindsided if they thought people taking pictures of them at the reception were only going to use them for the personal album of Peter and Autumn and NOT splashed into Hello! Magazine. I would be annoyed too if I felt I had been used or blindsided like that.

I could see both points of view.

Tags
autumn phillips, british royal family, hello magazine, peter phillips, sponsorship, wedding