Old 02-17-2018, 08:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

List of Knights and Ladies of the Garter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._of_the_Garter

Old 02-18-2018, 10:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
10 years ago today The Duke of Cambridge became the 1000th Knight of the Garter:
https://mobile.twitter.com/RoyaleVis...03096302817280

https://mobile.twitter.com/RoyaleVis...01308367548417

Wow, amazing how much time has passed and how young William looked at the time. He was knighted in the presence of his brother and his love, Catherine.
And both those two giggled at his hat. It's a nice memory.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:04 AM
Heir Apparent

For Belgium only King Albert Ist for what he did durond WW1.
No Kings Leopold III, Baudouin , Albert II and maybe Philippe ?
Old 02-18-2018, 11:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Old 02-18-2018, 11:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
For Belgium only King Albert Ist for what he did durond WW1.
No Kings Leopold III, Baudouin , Albert II and maybe Philippe ?
I believe both King Leopold III and King Baudouin were Knights of the Garter. In fact, Albert II and now Philippe are the only Kings of the Belgians who were not given that honor.

King Philippe will probably become a Knight if there is a Belgian state visit to the UK.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:53 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I believe both King Leopold III and King Baudouin were Knights of the Garter. In fact, Albert II and now Philippe are the only Kings of the Belgians who were not given that honor.

King Philippe will probably become a Knight if there is a Belgian state visit to the UK.
That’s right. All Belgian Kings of the past with the only exception of Albert II (who is said to be very disappointed about it) received the Order of Garter. Blog Real kindly provided a link to all members of the Garter today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
List of Knights and Ladies of the Garter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._of_the_Garter
Old 02-18-2018, 12:16 PM
Royal Highness

When will Camilla and Catherine be created ladies of the Garter? The duke of Edinburgh was made knight of the garter in 1947 (on the occasion of his wedding I suppose) together with The princess Elizabeth. So, it would be a nice gesture to make the future queens also ladies of the garter. Queen Alexandra, queen Mary and the Queen Mother were all made Ladies of the Garter in the year of their husbands ascending the throne, so I assume that was in connection to them becoming queens, so that's probably what we should expect for Camilla and Catherine as well. Nonetheless, it is interesting that Philip was treated differently as the future queen's husband Philip; as a man he didn't have to wait for his wife to ascend the throne to become a knight marrying the heir presumptive was enough.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I am sorry, indeed King Leopold III and King Baudouin were knights of the Garter.(Thanks to the list)
They were no State Visits from and to UK during King Albert II 's Reign.?
Old 02-18-2018, 01:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I am sorry, indeed King Leopold III and King Baudouin were knights of the Garter.(Thanks to the list)
No State Visit hence he didn’t receive the Garter. It wasn’t a snub.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
When will Camilla and Catherine be created ladies of the Garter? The duke of Edinburgh was made knight of the garter in 1947 (on the occasion of his wedding I suppose) together with The princess Elizabeth. So, it would be a nice gesture to make the future queens also ladies of the garter. Queen Alexandra, queen Mary and the Queen Mother were all made Ladies of the Garter in the year of their husbands ascending the throne, so I assume that was in connection to them becoming queens, so that's probably what we should expect for Camilla and Catherine as well. Nonetheless, it is interesting that Philip was treated differently as the future queen's husband Philip; as a man he didn't have to wait for his wife to ascend the throne to become a knight marrying the heir presumptive was enough.
Prince Philip was:
1) a cousin
2) a war hero
3) in the line of succession to the british throne

Perhaps, Mr John Smith would be treated differently in the same situation.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:11 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The Queen was going to go on a state visit to Belgium in 2003, but it was canceled by the British government due to the likelihood of war in Iraq and never rescheduled.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:29 AM
Moderator Emeritus

https://www.royal.uk/appointments-order-garter

The Queen has been graciously pleased to appoint Dame Mary Fagan to be a Lady Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, and the Viscount Brookeborough to be a Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.

Dame Mary Fagan, DCVO served as Lord-Lieutenant of Hampshire between 1994 and 2014 and was also Chancellor of the University of Winchester from 2006 until 2014.

Alan Henry Brooke, 3rd Viscount Brookeborough has served as Personal Lord in Waiting to The Queen since 1997 and has been Lord Lieutenant of Co. Fermanagh, Northern Ireland since 2012. He served with HM Armed Forces between 1971 and 1994, with 17th/21st Lancers, the Ulster Defence Regiment and the Royal Irish Regiment.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:41 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
https://www.royal.uk/appointments-order-garter

The Queen has been graciously pleased to appoint Dame Mary Fagan to be a Lady Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, and the Viscount Brookeborough to be a Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.

Dame Mary Fagan, DCVO served as Lord-Lieutenant of Hampshire between 1994 and 2014 and was also Chancellor of the University of Winchester from 2006 until 2014.

Alan Henry Brooke, 3rd Viscount Brookeborough has served as Personal Lord in Waiting to The Queen since 1997 and has been Lord Lieutenant of Co. Fermanagh, Northern Ireland since 2012. He served with HM Armed Forces between 1971 and 1994, with 17th/21st Lancers, the Ulster Defence Regiment and the Royal Irish Regiment.
What about King Felipe? I received the Order last year during the State Visit, is it usually he is not on the "list"?
Old 04-23-2018, 09:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I could be totally wrong but from what I understand, foreign royals that are endowed with the Order of the Garter are in a separate classification called "Stranger Knights". They aren't part of 24 perpetual Knight Companions of the Garter.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 04-23-2018, 09:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Correct - both foreign and British royals are extra to the 24 knights.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Well, no big surprises but congratulations to the two people appointed.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-23-2018, 09:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I believe the tradition is for Queen Consort be the first one created ladies of the Garter by the monarch. So Camilla will be the first one once Charles becomes king, and Kate once William becomes king.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:29 AM
Heir Apparent

I have read on Twitter that Prince Philip will not be attending today's Order of the Garter ceremony. This is not unexpected but still sad. It says that Prince Charles will be accompanying his mother today so he will likely be in the carriage with her. Camilla will likely travel with William and Catherine (if she attends) or she'll be with Edward, Sophie and Andrew.

There are many people mentioning on Twitter that they hope Meghan attends today. I'm guessing they don't realise that only Garter Knights and spouses attend...
Old 06-18-2018, 08:29 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
There are many people mentioning on Twitter that they hope Meghan attends today. I'm guessing they don't realise that only Garter Knights and spouses attend...
There's a loud part of this fandom that is making everything about Meghan and can't imagine that she won't be included in everything.

Tags
ceremony, investiture, knights of the garter, order of the garter, prince george's chapel, windsor