State Visit from the President of France: March 26-27, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's next month but some news from today are, hum....interesting.:bang:

Speedy Sarkozy cuts short Queen visit after confessing: 'I love my Paris bed too much' | the Daily Mail

It doesn't sound good at all. I can't imagine our "dear" Presidential couple, epitome of the "Bling bling" vulgarity, in Windsor.
Well i'm french, i'm pround of my country and my history but i must say that i'am totally ashamed by my head of state's behaviour, and his wife, gosh, did you know that she wants to bring her guitare with her during the visit and sing for the Queen?
The british members of the board must know something: Mr Sarkozy will use your Queen, and all the visit, for PR purpose.... "vive l'entente cordiale":bang:

LOL! Carla wants to do what??! Has Her Majesty requested a song from Madame Bruni-Sarkozy or whatever she is?? Because if she has not, then Carla should leave the entertainment at State events to the experts! Good grief, this couple sounds almost too good to be true as far as the tabloids go.

I feel your pain Nico but just be thankful that you don't live here in America where we are given a minute by minute report on the progress of Britney Spears mental breakdowns. Or given-in excruciating detail-the progress of some starlet's pregnancy or battles with weight. Really I couldn't care less....I'd trade places with you French in a nano-second!

It has nothing to do with his ability to carry out the work of the president per se, but it has everything to do with the type of person that he is, which naturally reflects on his abilities.

If he is so wrapped up in his new relationship that he can not or will not conscientiously carry out the duties that a president must carry out, and instruct his first lady to also do so, with class,grace and dignity, then how are other world leaders supposed to take him seriously? And if they are unable to take him seriously, then how are they supposed to conduct business with him?

Last edited:
France isn't in the middle of some crisis that demands his personal attention. He's stated well in advance that he won't be staying for the length of time for which he was invited - it's his free choice to reject HM's offered hospitality, and apparently he's doing it because he doesn't want to stay for the full length of time, not because he's under any compulsion to cut the visit short. Since international diplomacy is part of the duty of the Head of State and since state visits are a traditional part of international diplomacy, he's letting his own people down as well as snubbing our head of state.

As far as not having time for return dinners - that means that he's taking and not giving back in return. Which is discourteous.

If the Queen was invited to pay a state visit to somewhere and announced weeks ahead of time that, thanks, but I'll only be staying for half the time you've invited me for, and I'll eat your dinner but won't provide a return dinner, and I'm not interested in visiting the people you've invited me to visit, you'd be the first one to come along in high indignation wondering what we pay these royal freeloaders for. Works the same way for the president of a republic.

Brilliantly stated Elspeth and I couldn't agree more. Seriously, how did this man get voted into office with his attitude? I wonder if he has paid a visit to the Vatican yet...(shudders at the possibilities there!)

I am inclined to agree with BeatrixFan on this matter. The French state visit was reportedly cut short. I dare to assume Mr. Sarkozy has got serious reasons for doing so. The fuss around the state visit in question is a bit premature.

No reportedly about it. Please check here. It has already been changed on the BRF website and reads as follows:

Wednesday, 26th March 2008

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh and 27th March - The President of the French Republic and Madame Nicolas Sarkozy will pay a State Visit to the United Kingdom and stay at Windsor Castle.

I am inclined to agree with BeatrixFan on this matter. The French state visit was reportedly cut short.

It's official:
Media Centre > Event highlights > French State Visit, March 2008
And the mention "Madame Sarkozy" has appeared...

I use to say that we have, in France a "frustrated monarchy". We adore the image of a providential man as head of state, surrounded by all the republican glitter, with a certain "grandeur" in his attitude( and some discretion in his private life). That's true! De Gaulle, for exemple, was elected "french man of the 20 th century" in a recent poll. The big problem with Sarkozy is that he is destroying this model of the "president of all the french". After 12 years of a sometimes goofy but sympathetic Chirac and his sometimes dowdy but always dignifed Bernadette, we had, in 10 months, the epitome of the "nouveau riche" behaviour including power, arrogance, money, sex, divorce and finally a wedding (in de Gaulle's office at the Elysee) with an ex model 2 months after this divorce, all that mess showed on TV day after day. It's just a little too much for a lot of people....
It's not only about his personnal life, the political situation is not the best .This little big man promised a lot of things....

France isn't in the middle of some crisis that demands his personal attention. He's stated well in advance that he won't be staying for the length of time for which he was invited - it's his free choice to reject HM's offered hospitality, and apparently he's doing it because he doesn't want to stay for the full length of time, not because he's under any compulsion to cut the visit short. Since international diplomacy is part of the duty of the Head of State and since state visits are a traditional part of international diplomacy, he's letting his own people down as well as snubbing our head of state.

As far as not having time for return dinners - that means that he's taking and not giving back in return. Which is discourteous.

If the Queen was invited to pay a state visit to somewhere and announced weeks ahead of time that, thanks, but I'll only be staying for half the time you've invited me for, and I'll eat your dinner but won't provide a return dinner, and I'm not interested in visiting the people you've invited me to visit, you'd be the first one to come along in high indignation wondering what we pay these royal freeloaders for. Works the same way for the president of a republic.

I'm sorry, I disagree. When the Queen next goes to France, that's an opportunity to repay the favour. I think the objection to his visit is nothing to do with Mr Sarzoky, it's because he's married a model and that's too ridiculous for words. Look at the negative statements that are already surfacing about Madame Sarzoky as if she should sit in a dark room in a burkah and never be seen. He's been invited to visit Britain, he is visiting Britain. He is bringing his wife. He isn't spending a week, he's spending a couple of days. Where's the problem in that? I think all this "discourteous" stuff is just an excuse, the real reason people seem to be against the man is that he's married a pretty young wife.

I wonder if he has paid a visit to the Vatican yet

Ooooh yes and guess what? He brought with him, to the Vatican, Jean Marie Bigard. Who is Jean Marie Bigard: well he is a french "comic" who loves doing **** ,sex and sometimes anti-clerical jokes. Why he was there? Because he is a friend of the boss and he wanted to see the pope "for the fun".
Can you imagine that?

I just saw the evening news. Sarkozy and Carla are visiting Chad and guess what was shown : her, cuddling his face in the car. Can't she behave while on duty ?!! Philip will be pleased I'm sure ...

No reportedly about it. Please check here. It has already been changed on the BRF website and reads as follows:

[shortened]
The word “reportedly” has been used due to the fact that the source of information was Daily Mail known for providing inaccurate information. Still I for one think that French President has got his reasons for cutting the visit short. There is no need to create a drama.

It's official:

[shortened] in 10 months, the epitome of the "nouveau riche" behaviour including power, arrogance, money, sex, divorce and finally a wedding (in de Gaulle's office at the Elysee) with an ex model 2 months after this divorce, all that mess showed on TV day after day. It's just a little too much for a lot of people....
It's not only about his personnal life, the political situation is not the best .This little big man promised a lot of things....
Mr. Sarkozy has democratically been elected by French. Nothing else should be added to this.

I'm sorry, I disagree. When the Queen next goes to France, that's an opportunity to repay the favour. I think the objection to his visit is nothing to do with Mr Sarzoky, it's because he's married a model and that's too ridiculous for words. Look at the negative statements that are already surfacing about Madame Sarzoky as if she should sit in a dark room in a burkah and never be seen. He's been invited to visit Britain, he is visiting Britain. He is bringing his wife. He isn't spending a week, he's spending a couple of days. Where's the problem in that? I think all this "discourteous" stuff is just an excuse, the real reason people seem to be against the man is that he's married a pretty young wife.

Far as I'm concerned, it has nothing to do with his wife. He's the one who made the decision, in the absence of a national crisis in France, to respond to the invitation to spend two days on a state visit by saying that he didn't want to do that but would only be visiting for one day. On a state visit, the return dinner is the opportunity for the guest to publicly thank the host; the visits to people and places of interest to the guest are part of the diplomacy involved in the visit. Unless his attitude to this visit is explicitly to do with his wife, then as far as I'm concerned she's irrelevant and he's still behaving disgracefully.

Does France have to be collapsing for it's President to go back? He may have to be present for other reasons that haven't been made public.

Unless this decision is to be seen as a public snub, the reasons (if they exist) should be made public - or at least, some good reason should be given, even if it isn't the actual one.

Why does he have to have a reason for going home early once the major business of the visit has been and gone?

And why should the Queen of England stoop to his level?

Furthermore, he accepted a visit of 3 days and 2 nights. He has changed/cancelled part of the invitation that he accepted. It is not the same as being invited for 2 days, and saying, "I would really like to come, but I have other engagements.. may I come for 1 night instead?" He accepted, plans were made, (which in regards to a State Visit requires some serious planning and time, and which begins quite some time in advance) and now suddenly with no good reason that we know of, changes his mind? It is rude, uncouth in any circle to put your hosts out like that, never mind in "higher circles" where considerable time and money has already been expended.

There is protocol, never mind good manners, which indicate that a reason should be given, and should be a good one, when a visit is modified or cancelled. and the "business" of the visit might very well have gone on, and will now have to be squashed into a shorter time period.

Who's asking the Queen to do anything? Whats all this about stooping to a level? Am I being thick here? Has he ripped off a baby's head and fashioned it into a brooch? Has he eaten small dogs? Has he ordered the deaths of 1000s? Because I missed that. And I also missed the canonisation of the Queen which meant only the purest are allowed to speak her name.

Exactly Empress. If you agree to go, then you must do everything to keep this engagement in the state it was planned. Engagements that were made after should be canceled or moved to another day since you had given your agreement for the first. Imagine if people around the world behaved like he did.

And how do you know it wasn't planned for just 2 days?

Because originally it was on the BRF and several other websites as 26-28 march

Why does he have to have a reason for going home early once the major business of the visit has been and gone?

The major business of a state visit is the visit itself. Otherwise a private meeting would be sufficient. It's a matter of diplomacy, and the relationship between Britain and France isn't the firmest one around. If one head of state decides to deliver a public snub like this to another, it isn't going to help matters. Heck, George Bush climbed into white tie and tails for the Queen's visit last year in recognition of the "special relationship" between the two countries, and it was the first time in his presidency he'd done so. That gesture of respect does actually mean something. Equally, a gesture of studied indifference or even contempt also means something, and that's what Sarkozy is doing.

That would be really sad if true. I hope you are wrong because it wouldn't speak well of Buckingham Palace if they would intentionally snub a president's wife simply because of her age or profession or whatever.

I mean, goodness knows Buckingham Palace has had many opportunities to be caddy in the past, and often for better reasons than that Madame Sarkozy is a model and singer! So if you are right in this case, it would show them in a most negative light in my opinion.

I hope the real reasons are more mundane, perhaps due to a scheduling conflict or some other oversight.

The Queen would never snub the wife of the President of France. Goodness, over the decades that she has been Queen, she has courtiously and formally met Presidents, and their wives/husbands, from just about everywhere in the world. And some of them have been very rum people!

A State Visit (if this is what was planned) is always of 3 days and 2 nights. I find it unbelievable (like Elspeth) that it should be changed/shortened at such short notice. I cannot believe it was at the request of Buckingham Palace - that sort of thing just does not happen there! So it must have been President Sarkozy's decision. I find it without parallel between friendly countries. :-(

In the overall scheme of things noithing in life will change. This is all so unimportant. Beatrix Fan, I love you and your turn of a phrase. You see this for what it is.

You see this for what it is.

And it's totally wrong.
As The truth already said:just spend some days here in France and you'll uderstand very quikly why we are so fed up with them...
But it's always interesting to see a different point a view from abroad, and i respect that...

Allow to remind once again that Mr. Sarkozy has been elected by the same Frenchmen, who are fed up now with him and his new wife.

the real reason people seem to be against the man is that he's married a pretty young wife.

Ugh, wrong! It doesn't help that a whirlwind relationship then makes her First lady, but you're quite wrong if you think that the principle reason.

But French people are like that, don't forget we cut the head of our beloved King Louis XVI :D

Listen to The Truth. She's on to something here...hehe.

Last edited:
Allow to remind once again that Mr. Sarkozy has been elected by the same Frenchmen, who are fed up now with him and his new wife.

Yes, you're right Al Bina (can't talk for me, not allowed to vote yet :D). But French people are like that, don't forget we cut the head of our beloved King Louis XVI :D. I believe a man/woman can't show his/her true self without being at power. Now that he is, we can start seeing what he really is.

In the overall scheme of things noithing in life will change. This is all so unimportant. Beatrix Fan, I love you and your turn of a phrase. You see this for what it is.

Actually, it isn't. We don't have that friendly a relationship with France, especially at the level of the man in the street, and the deliberate snubbing of our head of state by theirs isn't going to help matters.

He was chosen "only" by a part of the nation (53%) (the other part was fed up with him looong before the election:ROFLMAO:).
He has been elected with a programm, some good ideas, a lot of promises and the image of the father of a pretty family...10 months later: a big mess in all the levels. A lot of people are quite disapointed and think they were fooled.That's all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom