Swedish Line of Succession

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Birgitta is HRH

You have it wrong. When the successionorder was changed in the 70ths it was stipulated that the only ones that could inherit the throne had to be descendand from Carl XVI Gustav. Birgitta is NOT in the successionorder.

In Sweden the only ones that are seen as royals are in fact the family of Carl XVI Gustav. His sisters and uncle with families arent seen as the extended royal family, "just" normal citizens

In addition to the members of the Royal Family, the Swedish Royal Court also includes Princess Lilian, and Princess Birgitta, married to Prince Johann Georg of Hohenzollern. Most likely would Princess Birgitta and her family be asked in the event of a disaster and the whole of the current Royal family wiped out.

Princess Birgitta is the only one of the king's sisters who married and had the old king, Gusav VI Adolf, and the government's full consent. Princess Birgitta is also the only one of the king's sisters, who have retained the title "Her Royal Highness" (HRH). Like the examples Princess Martha-Louise of Norway got the other sisters keep the title princess, but not included in the royal house as "royal highness". You can actually read the court's website on the composition of the royal house. http://www.royalcourt.se/royalcourt/royalfamily.4.396160511584257f21800060.html

Last edited:
In addition to the members of the Royal Family, the Swedish Royal Court also includes Princess Lilian, and Princess Birgitta, married to Prince Johann Georg of Hohenzollern. Most likely would Princess Birgitta and her family be asked in the event of a disaster and the whole of the current Royal family wiped out.

Princess Birgitta is the only one of the king's sisters who married and had the old king, Gusav VI Adolf, and the government's full consent. Princess Birgitta is also the only one of the king's sisters, who have retained the title "Her Royal Highness" (HRH). Like the examples Princess Martha-Louise of Norway got the other sisters keep the title princess, but not included in the royal house as "royal highness". You can actually read the court's website on the composition of the royal house. http://www.royalcourt.se/royalcourt/royalfamily.4.396160511584257f21800060.html

If the family is wiped out then we get a republic.

The kings sisters werent in the succession order BEFORE 1973 and they arent now either.

If the family is wiped out then we get a republic.

The kings sisters werent in the succession order BEFORE 1973 and they arent now either.

It is of course a hypothetical question, and no one wants to even imagine such a terrible scenario that the entire royal family was wiped out! But I do not think You can assume that the parliament in two consecutive elections would vote for a constitutional amendment which would mean that Sweden became a republic in a scenario where our current Royal Family was snatched away. It would then mean that the country first, would be headed by the Speaker of the parlament as "Riksföreståndare" for a long time. None of us can know for sure. I , myself,think we would continue to Monarchy! Of course the family of HRH Princess Birgitta then will be of interest. Surely HRH Princess Birgitta and her family then become interesting as princess Birgitta followed the laws that existed when she married.

The Act of Succession - Riksdagen
Act 1: the succession is restricted to the descendants of Carl XVI Gustaf but I don't see any mention of Prince Bertil who was then added to the sucession?

IF the entire Royal family was wiped out, might they not choose Princess Margrethe (spelling?) before Princess Birgitta on the basis of primongeniture? None of the King's sisters were ever in the line of succession to begin with and it is now acceptable to marry commoners.

On a related note if the entire Royal family got wiped out except for one of Victoria's (hypothetical) children, who would be regent?

Last edited:
I really think that- in this day and age- if any of the current European royal families happen to "die out" naturally, the country would simply revert to a republic.

It is of course a hypothetical question, and no one wants to even imagine such a terrible scenario that the entire royal family was wiped out! But I do not think You can assume that the parliament in two consecutive elections would vote for a constitutional amendment which would mean that Sweden became a republic in a scenario where our current Royal Family was snatched away. It would then mean that the country first, would be headed by the Speaker of the parlament as "Riksföreståndare" for a long time. None of us can know for sure. I , myself,think we would continue to Monarchy! Of course the family of HRH Princess Birgitta then will be of interest. Surely HRH Princess Birgitta and her family then become interesting as princess Birgitta followed the laws that existed when she married.

I rather have a republic than have the country represented by Birgitta, i will not say why because i think its against the rules of conduct here.

Hypothetical

The Act of Succession - Riksdagen
Act 1: the succession is restricted to the descendants of Carl XVI Gustaf but I don't see any mention of Prince Bertil who was then added to the sucession?

IF the entire Royal family was wiped out, might they not choose Princess Margrethe (spelling?) before Princess Birgitta on the basis of primongeniture? None of the King's sisters were ever in the line of succession to begin with and it is now acceptable to marry commoners.

On a related note if the entire Royal family got wiped out except for one of Victoria's (hypothetical) children, who would be regent?

We are moving very hypothetical (not so nice) thoughts, but on the whole family being wiped out is Bridget or her children the only ones included in the royal house. Bridget is the only one of the princesses from Haga has been allowed to retain the title HRH because she married a prince, which was important for the old king, Gustav VI. We must remember that many of the old king's siblings were relieved of their titles when they married without royal family's permission. It is certainly so now that any child of CP Victoria will be first in line of succession. Prince Bertil came into the picture for the current king's father, Prince Gustav Adolf was killed in a plane crash. It was for that reason he refused to marry Lillian, because the Swedish royal family suddenly had no successor. Prince Carl Gustaf was a child and grandfather, King Gustav VI Adolf was already coming up in age. Would the king died before the little prince had time to reach 25 years so would Monarchy in Sweden have been wiped out "with one stroke of the pen" - that the then Prime Minister Palme said.

I rather have a republic than have the country represented by Birgitta, i will not say why because i think its against the rules of conduct here.

You don´t have to. I do understand and I don´t have any other opinion. Everything is just hypotetic. :flowers:

HRH Princess Birgitta

Either the speaker of the Riksdag (IIRC the only one outside the royal line of sucession that may act as Swedish head of state) or the Riksdag have to appoint someone else.

If the king married unequally, Victoria didn't' either, and most likely neither will Madeleine or Carl Philip so to say Birgitta would make the best choice because she did doesn't hold water. And as far as primogeniture, Margaretha, along with her sisters were never apart of succession, and according to the current succession the sisters are still excluded so if they did decide to chose someone they have no reason to bound by the idea of birth order. If Sweden though that keeping their royal family that they would choose someone to take over wouldn't they want to choose the one that has been the most active in terms of representation? Christina does the most, she helped with the previous king, and still does with the current king. But this is all hypothetical, and isn't something that would realistically happen.

Since 2012 February 23th

1. HRH The Crown Princess, Duchess of Västergötland (Princess Victoria, born 1977)
  2. HRH The Duchess of Östergötland (Princess Estelle, born 2012)
  3. HRH The Duke of Värmland (Prince Carl Philip, born 1979)
  4. HRH The Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland (Princess Madeleine, born 1982)

The last time the line og succesion was changed were 1997 january 5th when prince Bertil died who were 4th in line

in the bernadotte era as most there 11 in line to the throne

31th october 1916, prince Carl Johan is born

HRH The Crown Prince, Duke of Skåne (prince Gustaf Adolf born 1982)
HRH Duke of Västerbotten, (prince Gustaf Adolf born 1906)
HRH Duke of Uppland (prince Sigvard born 1907)
HRH Duke of Halland (prince Bertil born 1912)
HRH Duke of Dalarna (prince Carl Johan born 1916)
HRH Duke of Södermanland (prince Wilhelm born 1984)
HRH Duke of Småland (prince Lennart born 1909)
HRH Duke of Västmanland (prince Erik born 1989)
HRH Duke of Västergötland (prince Carl born 1911)
HRH Duke of Östergötland (prince Carl jr born 1911)
HRH Duke of Närke (prince Eugen born 1965)

* The only one of King Carl XVI Gustaf siblings who married King Gusav the VI th Adolf state, and the Swedish Government, is Princess Birgitta of marriage to Prince Johann Georg of Hohenzollern. Most likely would Princess Birgitta and her family be asked in the event of a disaster and the whole of the current Royal family wiped out.
I would guess that all three of princess Birgitta's children are Catholics (as they all have Maria among their names and their father being a Catholic), and as the Swedish succession order says in 4§ ( https://lagen.nu/1810:0926 ) that a person who doesn't belong to the "pure Evangelical faith" and have not been brought up in that faith, are excluded from the succession, which should make the Hohenzollern children non-eligible.

Does the catholic rule apply to the Swedish royal family as well? You know if you marry a catholic you lose your place in the line of succession?

Does the catholic rule apply to the Swedish royal family as well? You know if you marry a catholic you lose your place in the line of succession?

There is a provision that states, the royal family shall belong to the "pure evangelical faith", i.e., the (Evangelical-Lutheran) Church of Sweden. It says nothing about limiting marriage to a member of a different faith.

Catholics are barred from inheriting the Throne but, unlike Britain, they are not the only ones. The Swedish Act of Succession 1810 states that the Monarch and members of the Royal Family must belong to Lutheran (evangelical) faith.
Other limitations:
- Children of the Monarchmust be brought up in Sweden
- Members of the Royal Family cannot marry without the Monarch's consent
- The heir to the throne cannot travel abroad without the Monarch's permission

The heir is also prevented from becoming the head of state in another country, either by election or marriage, without the consent of the monarch and the government, by forfeit of all rights of succession for themselves and their heirs.

Catholics are barred from inheriting the Throne but, unlike Britain, they are not the only ones. The Swedish Act of Succession 1810 states that the Monarch and members of the Royal Family must belong to Lutheran (evangelical) faith.
Other limitations:
- Children of the Monarchmust be brought up in Sweden
- Members of the Royal Family cannot marry without the Monarch's consent
- The heir to the throne cannot travel abroad without the Monarch's permission

many swedes think its strange that the royal family must be lutherans as the Swedish church isnt what you would call a lutheran church nowdays. Its more of a socialdemocratic church

Grandduchess24 said:

This is from the Act of Succession (via google translate)
the King shall always profess the pure evangelical doctrine, such as that in the unaltered Augsburg Confession, and the Uppsala Meeting decision of the year 1593, adopted and explained, thus princes and princesses of the Royal. House shall be brought in the same faith and within the realm. Those of the Royal Family not professing this faith, from all rights of succession is excluded. Act (1979:935).

I take that to mean the spouses of those in the line of succession can profess any religion as they never had a right to the throne in the first place.

No, there is nothing preventing a member of the Swedish royal family to marry a Catholic, in fact queen Désirée remained a Catholic all her life and Oscar I married Joséphine who kept her Catholic faith and brought a Catholic priest with her to Sweden, and her children were brought up in the Lutheran faith.

Meraude said:
No, there is nothing preventing a member of the Swedish royal family to marry a Catholic, in fact queen Désirée remained a Catholic all her life and Oscar I married Joséphine who kept her Catholic faith and brought a Catholic priest with her to Sweden, and her children were brought up in the Lutheran faith.

Did Carl XIV Johan have to convert to Protestantism?

This is the first time since 1950 there Will be 5 Line of succession
In oktober 29th, 1950, Gustav V dies And the succession were 4.

T
20 februari 2014, princess NN, daughter to princess Madeleine was born
1. Crown princess Victoria,
2. Princess Estelle,
3. Princess Carl Philip,
4. Princess Madeleine,
5. Princess NN,

Last edited:
The last time the line og succesion was changed were 1997 january 5th when prince Bertil died who were 4th in line

in the bernadotte era as most there 11 in line to the throne

31th october 1916, prince Carl Johan is born

HRH The Crown Prince, Duke of Skåne (prince Gustaf Adolf born 1982)
HRH Duke of Västerbotten, (prince Gustaf Adolf born 1906)
HRH Duke of Uppland (prince Sigvard born 1907)
HRH Princess Ingrid (born 1910)
HRH Duke of Halland (prince Bertil born 1912)
HRH Duke of Dalarna (prince Carl Johan born 1916)
HRH Duke of Södermanland (prince Wilhelm born 1984)
HRH Duke of Småland (prince Lennart born 1909)
HRH Duke of Västmanland (prince Erik born 1989)
HRH Duke of Västergötland (prince Carl born 1861)
HRH Princess Margaretha (bron 1899)
HRH Princess Märtha (born 1901)
HRH Princess Astrid (born 1905)

HRH Duke of Östergötland (prince Carl jr born 1911)
HRH Duke of Närke (prince Eugen born 1965)

I wonder what the list would look like if girls were included

Last edited:
The new line of succession is from 2016.03.02
The Last time there were 7 in line in sweden were when the current king was born april 30th 1946
The Kings father died january 26th 1947 and there were yes again 6 in line to the swedish throne

2. Princess Estelle,
3. Prince Oscar
4. Prince Carl Philip,
5. Princess Madeleine,
6. Princess Leonore
7. Prince Nicolas

Last edited:
:previous: Soon to be 8 and I think we can expect at least one more little one, perhaps 3-4 more in the coming years. Never mind the line of succession, grandma and grandpa have a lot of toy shopping to do at Christmas these days.

By the king's birthday on April 30th, the line of succession will be:

2. Princess Estelle,
3. Prince Oscar,
4. Prince Carl Philip,
5. Prince(ss) Bernadotte-Hellqvist,
6. Princess Madeleine,
7. Princess Leonore
8. Prince Nicolas

There were some criticism when Madeleines children got royal rank and titles from the king. But I think it's very logical. He has first hand knowledge of the difficulties that a royal family can have if and when the line of succession is very short. With the development we're seeing - all the kings three children will soon be parents - the line of succession is secure. And I honestly think that he considers that the best part of his legacy.

By the king's birthday on April 30th, the line of succession will be:

2. Princess Estelle,
3. Prince Oscar,
4. Prince Carl Philip,
5. Prince(ss) Bernadotte-Hellqvist,
6. Princess Madeleine,
7. Princess Leonore
8. Prince Nicolas

Yes, but as you know the #5 won't have a last name, just like his/her cousins. He/she will just be prince/princess NN.

I also think that Madeleine will have more children, and it's very likely that Carl Philip will add to the succession order more than once. So my guess is that there will be at least 10 people in this line within the next few years.

Back
Top Bottom