Princess Lilian, Current Events Part 2: January 2005 - March 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Translation of a Svenska Dagbladet article:

nobellilian3393xa.jpg

Photograph by Åsa Westerlund via Svenska Dagbladet

The Queen of the Nobel dresses, dresses up the Princess

LONDON. It hangs over the banister in the studio, well hidden under a white sheet. But the colour shines through, this secret nuance which no one is to know about before the Nobel festivities.
- Absolutely no pictures with the dress of this year, says Elisabeth Wondrak decisively.

We can however see when Princess Lilian today makes her last fitting before the Nobel festivities. But first it’s time for morning coffee with toast and jam.

It smells delicious from the little kitchen in the house, in the middle of London’s fashionable Mayfair neighbourhood. This is where the uncrowned Queen of the Nobel dresses receives her customers from near and far.

In the house there is a pleasant mess. The dining table if flooded with fashion magazines, letters and photographs. In the studio on the second floor, one is welcomed by green velvet armchairs, an old piano and a see of sketches, cloths, sewing thread rolls and a pincushion.

A large mirror with a golden coloured frame stands against the wall, on the wooden floor a wooden trying-on doll awaits, with Princess Lilian’s exact measurements. In the middle of it all, a white Bernina sewing machine parades.
- Here I sit and daydream, sketch and think. At the end, the Nobel dress of the year is born under my hands.

Elisabeth Wondrak cracks up in one of her mild but at the same time rogue smiles. She starts to think about the Nobel dress in April, and often sew the first stitches in August. In between that, cloth samples and sketches are sent back and forth between Stockholm and London.

- The challenge is to make a “big dress” without it demanding too much room. If you understand what I mean.

The Nobel dress should be romantic without being vulgar, elegant without being boasting, thought through without being over worked, she explains. The cloth needs to be of the highest quality.
- The Princess cannot look like a walking lamp shade.

There are a few “faux pas” that one is to avoid, she emphasizes. Black is not suitable, because all the male guests wear tails and white shirt, and the ladies should choose something different. It cannot be sexy. And large flower patterns should be avoided: “otherwise she looks like a sofa on legs”.

But spangles are something Elisabeth Wondrak likes to have on her Nobel creations. And wasp waists. But she doesn’t follow the turns of fashion: it is “Lilian’s silhouette and personality” that decides how the dress should look. Elisabeth Wondrak means that there is a typical “Lilian look”: soft, feminine elegance.

While we brace ourselves with the black morning coffee, the 78 year old Court seamstress tells “how it all began”. It was in the middle of World War II, she was twelve and the sirens went off with even intervals.
- We were forced down into the shelter all the time. I took paper, colours and brushes with me. Then I sat there and painted and dreamt about Princesses on balls.

After the war she started to attend an art school in Bromley near London – and only 21 years old she sewed her first dress. The first sewing studio was in the dining room in her parent’s home south of London. In the beginning she went home to the customers, well off Brits who could afford tailor made clothes. She didn’t like that.
- I felt like a commodity, like a travelling salesman. Sat there on a chair with my sewing box in my lap and waited until I was called into the bedroom

With time, Elisabeth Wondrak was established enough to have famous customers queuing to her own “dresshouse” near London. She had a staff with seamstresses and could concentrate on the fashion designing. Hollywood stars like Vivien Leigh were mixed with British aristocracy and multi billionaires – and then Lilian entered the picture.

The two of them met through friends 56 years ago, before Lilian had become Princess of Sweden.
- I called her “satin doll”. I sewed her first dress in February 1950, a cocktail dress for the villa in St Maxime, Elisabeth Wondrak remembers.

The gaze full of thought disappears out in the rainy weather outside the window. There she spots Princess Lilian who with enthusiastic steps is on her way to the door. In the next moment she stands on the wooden floor of the studio, flings her winter coat with fur collar off and takes on the Nobel dress.
- She is a genius! This is the best Nobel dress she has ever made, Lilian exclaims with shining eyes.

She tosses and turns in front of the mirror, pleased. The colour, shape, cloth, everything seems to be in her taste. It even seems better than last year when Lilian won the battle about the Nobel dresses in a vote. Then she wore a salmon pink creation that made others fade.
- Elisabeth could do the dress without me. She knows me outside in, and knows exactly what fits. I always follow her advice, says Lilian.

It is this sister-like relationship that makes Elisabeth Wondrak refuse almost all interviews. “most are after gossip about Lilian”, she says.

So the Nobel dress is taken off and replaced with a new party dress: a half done black velvet dress for the next party:
- I love velvet, Lilian exclaims.

These days she (Lilian) has a whole cellar vault filled with hundreds of Wondrak-creations, including the sky blue wedding dress for the wedding with Prince Bertil in 1976, and no less than 29 Nobel dresses. Also Queen Silvia had a Wondrak-designed Nobel dress in 1977.

Elisabeth Wondrak remembers some Nobel dresses more than others. Like the first, turquoise from 1976.
- There was a large strike and we were without electricity. I sat and sewed in the light of candles during the fist days. It was necessary for the dress to be finished for the Nobel banquet.

Another Nobel dress that she will never forget is the one with a gold brocade from 1997. The Nobel festivities were nearing but Elisabeth Wondrak was in Switzerland with her severely cancer sick daughter. The family was waiting for a new liver, Lilian on the Nobel dress, and it ended with Elisabeth sitting and sewing up in the Swiss Alps at her daughter’s side and finished it in two weeks. All ended well: the Princess got her new dress and the daughter a new life.

And then she of course remembers her favourites: the royal blue in taft from 1983 and the lemon yellow with lace and small crystals from 1998. And the least successful: ice blue taft from 2001.
- Lilian dresses best in deep blue, turquoise, lime, pistachio green and bone white, she settles. And no, she does not check with the rest of the Royal Family about which colours they will wear for the Nobel festivities…

It’s getting dark, Princess Lilian has hurried off to the hairdresser and Elisabeth Wondrak sews the last stitches in the Nobel dress, whose price tag will end on circa 25 000 Swedish crowns.

She takes the rolling cloth in her arms and we walk down the stairs, which is used as a practice for the City Hall’s steps where one isn’t supposed to trip on the dress. But the Court seamstress herself has never been at a Nobel banquet, despite her production of thousands of gala dresses through out the years.
- Now I will put the kettle on, she says resolutely, corrects the pearl necklace and puts on a little red on her lips.

Elisabeth Wondrak is finished with this year’s Nobel dress.
- At last I will clean off the dining table, spread the dress for one more check. Then I will press/iron it and then it can hang to get cold. Like a newly baked cookie.

She takes a sip of her hot Earl Grey tea and smiles with satisfaction. Peeks out on the streets where glittering trees shine up a dark Hyde Park. Soon it is Christmas. But first it’s the Nobel festivities.

liliansklanningar1202ti.jpg

From left to right: the wedding dress 1976, Nobel 1976, Nobel 1977, Nobel 1978, dress 1976, dress 1976, Nobel 1979, Nobel 1980.

Among the trickiest things are, tells Elisabeth, the clasps which are to keep the order ribbon in place.

The original & full article can be found here.

Last edited by a moderator:
She looks so fragile, yet she amazes me how she's able to travel & still perform royal duties every once in a while.
How about her daily life? does she live alone in her villa? how often does she see the swedish royal family?

wow! great article. thanks so much taking time to translate it for all of us lonely souls who love the swedish royal family but can't speak their language!

purple_platinum said:
She looks so fragile, yet she amazes me how she's able to travel & still perform royal duties every once in a while.
How about her daily life? does she live alone in her villa? how often does she see the swedish royal family?
Yes, Princess Lilian is an amazing woman - carrying on with a quite full schedule in her 90th year! She's very active in the higher sphere circles as well as the British community in Stockholm, and often attends events which aren't mentioned in the official calendar (things she counts as private outings). And still she makes regular trips to London (where she stays in her apartment) to visit friends, her seamstress and things like that.

Princess Lilian lives alone at Villa Solbacken with her dog, but she has a close circle of people around her all the time - caretakers, a small household of staff, a Lady-in-Waiting and of course her Court Marshall and private friend Baroness Elisabeth Palmstierna. She has an office at the Royal Palace of Stockholm where her private and official business is tended to by a small office staff, and there she meets the rest of the Royal Family (mainly the King, Queen and Crown Princess who are the most active royals and also have offices at the palace) on a weekly basis I would say. And then there are surely private family dinners and such every once in a while, plus some of the main official engagements when the Royal Family go together. "Auntie Lilian" is an important person especially to the royal children, to whom she's been like a grandmother.

she's an amazing woman. If you didnt know, you'd never guess she wasnt born royal.

thanks for the explanation, GrandDuchess!
i believe i read the swedish RF have weekly dinner on sunday (on interview with victoria, i think), probably princess lilian also joined the dinner.
after prince bertil died, she's all alone but i'm glad the royal family is there for her.
she is a remarkable woman..

GrandDuchess said:
A few days ago, Aftonbladet reported that Princess Lilian was apparently so happy and flattered by how Martin Stenmarck sang for her at Crown Princess Victoria's birthday - that she has called him personally!

Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg commented:
- I know that Princess Lilian has called him to thank for the nice attention.

Martin Stenmarck himself said on Victoria's birthday that "Lilian is the girl for me", and that he has always liked her.

NOJE-22s44-lilianpuss1-588_368.jpg

The Aftonbladet article: http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/noje/story/0,2789,675957,00.html

She seems to be a really nice and friendly lady. Imagine the same picture but with Mick Jagger sitting on Queen Elizabeth II's lap! It's just not the same feeling! :)

A quote from TV4: (Daniel Nyhlen's pages) - about the royals shopping at NK:

Under förmiddagarna brukar hovets "grand old lady" prinsessan Lilian stappla omkring bland hyllorna, bland annat på damavdelningen. Där "lånar" hon ibland klänningar som tanten sen, några dagar senare, helt fräckt låter byta, lite lätt begagnade sådär. Enligt vad jag erfar lär personalen inte vara särskilt muntra över prinsessans agerande.

My translation:

During the morning the court's ''grand old lady'' princess Lady usually totters around among the shelves, also in the ladies department. She sometimes ''borrows'' gowns which the old aunt some days later shamelessly returns a little used. From what I've learned the staff aren't exactly amused by the princess' venture.

My comment:

Everyday you learn something new :rolleyes:

Elisabeth Wondrak has passed away

Svenska Dagbladet today reports the Princess Lilian's long time friend and seamstress Elisabeth Wondrak has passed away. On Tuesday evening she was found dead in her Mayfair apartment. She was 78 years old.

During her lifetime, Wondrak became a well known seamstress to the rich and famous, and for the past decades she was Princess Lilian's personal seamstress and close friend. It is estimated that Wondrak has made around a hundred dresses in Lilian's closet - among them her wedding dress for the wedding with Prince Bertil in 1976.

Elisabeth Wondrak's last dress became Princess Lilian's Nobel dress for 2005.

http://www.svd.se/dynamiskt/kultur/did_11570341.asp

Last edited:
Oh my God, what a tragedy. May she rest in peace.

Maybe it means Lilian will start to recycle her best Wondrak gowns at the Nobel awards for the years to come ?? We can only hope.

The Turkish designer Dilek Hanif recently had a fashion show in Sweden, held in the Grünewald Room at the Concert Hall in Stockholm. The day after the Ambassador of Turkey to Sweden and his wife held a cocktail reception at their residence in the Nobel Park in Stockholm. Princess Lilian honoured them with her presence.

Princess Lilian together with the Ambassador of Turkey to Sweden and wife, Necip and Senay Egüz. Picture by Richard Cahlén via Svensk Damtidning.

Attachments

• Svensk Damtidning v4 2006_8 (Dilek Hanif cocktail, Lilian m amb Necip & Senay Egüz).jpg
    Svensk Damtidning v4 2006_8 (Dilek Hanif cocktail, Lilian m amb Necip & Senay Egüz).jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 1,952
GrandDuchess said:
Yes, Princess Lilian is an amazing woman - carrying on with a quite full schedule in her 90th year!

I just finished the German book about queen Silvia which was written by a devoted journalist three years ago. While I was disappointed by the book I enjoyed the description of the relationship of the king and his then girlfriend Silvia with prince Bertil and his "caretaker" Miss Craig. It was really sweet how Bertil and Lilian took care of the king's fiancée before the wedding and it wretched my heart to read about the comment the prince made when he visited a children's hospital once. Other visiting ladies were said to have said to him: "There is nothing worse than crying children" and he replied sadly: "It's worse if there are no children at all". It really showed how hard it was for prince Bertil when it turned out he was the last of all his brothers and cousins to fall for a commoner so it was his duty to keep from marrying her and secure the succession in case something happened to young Carl Gustaf.

I'm so glad the king allowed his uncle to follow his example and marry his commoner. And that only three days before the Noble Gala where HRH Princess Lilian had her first grand outing in 1976. It really shows how much empathy the Royal couple is able to feel.

And I'm glad princess Lilian is still enjoying her life as a Royal. it surely was hard for her to be considered second best only because she was a commoner by birth. I guess it was the same feeling that propelled The Prince of Wales to offer for Camilla after she publicly was snubbed at the Grosvenor-van Cuysem-wedding. If you love somebody, you want your mate to be treated with respect. Thus Bertil married Lilian, Haakon Mette-Marit and Charles Camilla.

I'm glad to be living in a time when it finally is possible to marry for love and to force people to recognize your beloved as a worthy person. It seems queen Silvia was teaching the monarchies of Europe a very important lesson...

In January Princess Lilian followed her tradition of attending The Swedish Academy of Gastronomy's special gathering for the presentation of their awards and decorations (this time this event wasn't marked in the official calendar, but I think it usually has been during previous years).

Picture from The Swedish Academy of Gastronomy's website:

liliangastronomiskaakademien3j.jpg

This past Thursday evening, 9 March, Princess Lilian attended the opening preview/vernissage of the Danish flower artist Tage Andersen's exhibition at the Hallwylska Palace in Stockholm.

Picture by Scanpix via the Royal Court's website.

Attachments

• vernissage Tage Andersen, Hallwylska, 9 mars 2006.jpg
    vernissage Tage Andersen, Hallwylska, 9 mars 2006.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,142
Princess Lilian is much charming and sweet aunt of royal family! She is in love royal family and his favourite Queen Silvia. Queen Silvia is more daughter to Princess Lilian. Princess Lilian is more mother to Queen Silvia. Princess Lilian is more grandmother and aunt to royal children. Princess Lilian is 90 year and unbelievable alert! I am see photo Princess Lilian see happy and beautiful clothes. She is oldest royal family and his brother-in-law count Carl Johan will be 90 year october 2006. Princess Lilian will be 91 year augusti.

On 15 March Princess Lilian awarded The Royal Swedish Automobile Club’s Grand Golden Plaque to the BMW STCC driver Richard Göransson at a ceremony at the Grand Hôtel in Stockholm.

Picture from The Royal Swedish Automobile Club’s website.

Attachments

• KAK Guldplakett 15 mars 2006.jpg
    KAK Guldplakett 15 mars 2006.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 567
A very fun photo collage of princess Lilian. Photos by Ewa- Marie Rundqvist

Last edited:
That's wonderful Yennie! Thanks for posting. I wish it was larger because it really is funny.

Wow wow Princess Lilian is beautfiul dress and 90 years!!! She is more young his age and good!!! She is much humour and pretty of royal family!!!

1:Yesterday Sunday, 28 May, Princess Lilian attended and awarded the prizes of the Prince Bertil Memorial at Royal Djurgården in Stockholm. Here she is with her Court Marshal, Baroness Elisabeth Palmstierna. Picture from the Royal Court's website.

2 & 3: On Thursday 27 April, Princess Lilian attended and awarded The Royal Automobile Club’s medals at their annual meeting. Among the prize winners were bus driver Nikolai Jungsin, whom received the Small Golden Plaque for stopping a child child battering while he was on duty. Picture from The Royal Automobile Club's website.

Attachments

• Prins Bertil Memorial.JPG
    Prins Bertil Memorial.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 886
  • plakett_maj_06_1.jpg
    plakett_maj_06_1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 467
  • plakett_maj_06_2.jpg
    plakett_maj_06_2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 734
Last edited:
Wow Yennie the pictures of Lilian in the blue dress are wonderful, I wish they were bigges, when are they taken?

and if I may make a somwhat bitchy comment it seems the Grand Old Lady of the swedsih court has more representative duties than say Prince Carl Philip, I know he studies, but most regular students had a side job as well:cool: But it is wonderful to see Lilian still out and about, at the end of last year she seemed very frail but now she appears in good spirit. I so wish for her to live to see one of the royal children get married, and have children but who knows, she is not getting any younger and they dont seem to be in a rush.

Larzen said:
Wow Yennie the pictures of Lilian in the blue dress are wonderful, I wish they were bigges, when are they taken?

and if I may make a somwhat bitchy comment it seems the Grand Old Lady of the swedsih court has more representative duties than say Prince Carl Philip, I know he studies, but most regular students had a side job as well:cool: But it is wonderful to see Lilian still out and about, at the end of last year she seemed very frail but now she appears in good spirit. I so wish for her to live to see one of the royal children get married, and have children but who knows, she is not getting any younger and they dont seem to be in a rush.
I agree those pictures are wonderful. How has her health been lately? She seems to be in greart spirits. (how old is she now?)

Princess Lilian is perfect photo with Baroness Elisabeth Palmstierna. Princess Lilian is much good healt and yes she will turn 91. She is much active event in royals family. Princess Lilians Baroness Elisabeth Palmstierna is friend and Baroness to Princess Lilian many year.! Baroness Elisabeth Palmstierna have job in royal family of Sweden in over 50 years later. Baroness Elisabeth is 89 year and good spirited. Baroness Elisabeth and Princess Lilian is like old grand lady person royals family. Baroness Elisabeth is much sense royal family Bernadotte over 50 years. Baroness Elisabeth is oldest person have job in many year with royal familys job!!!! Princess is spirited and grand old lady!!!

Exclusively for Svensk Damtidning, Princess Lilian received photographer Charles Hammarsten and reporter Monica Bonde at her home in Villa Solbacken on Royal Djurgården a while ago – for a glimpse into her heavenly garden.

She has a beautiful garden with many wonderful rhododendron flowers that once came as plants to the villa from “the flower king”, Gustaf VI Adolf, and his summer residence Sofiero in Skåne.

Princess Lilian admits that she doesn’t particularly have “green fingers”, but in the summers she does keep the plants fresh and tidy and water them occasionally.

And she likes to invite her friends to afternoon tea in the flowering garden several times a week; perhaps on the “royal” tablecloth designed and made for her by her dear friend, Wibeke Beck-Friis. But even when she’s alone, she takes her tea in the garden were she sits and let her mind wander.

And Bingo, her dear dog and companion after Prince Bertil’s death, he likes to lie down on the set of stairs in stone, leading into the villa. That’s the coolest place in days when the sun keeps shining over the heavenly place.

Pictures by Charles Hammarsten via Svensk Damtidning, scanned by me.

Last edited:
How lovely! Thanks for posting this GrandDuchess. Lilian looks wonderful.

Princess Lilian is in Borgholm,Öland and she visit to Crown princess Victoria 29th birthday. Princess Lilian with Bingo in Borgholm,Öland. She is love in Borgholm and humour. Tv 14 july "Birthday crown princess Victoria 29th",Princess Lilian have song with Anders from Skansken,Stockholm. She is 90 year and good alert!!!!

Picture by Gunilla Ekström, Expressen

And here she is on her birthday, celebrated by the newspaper Expressen. Princess Lilian told them that she was going to have dinner at the Royal Palace together with the King, Queen, Princess Madeleine and invited friends.

What a marvellous celebration... yes, Princess Lilian is 91 years old and she still got it...
I'd love to see more of her though... She's such a lovely person.
and looks like the birthday cake she got is similar to what Victoria received on her name day this march.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom