The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCtrojan View Post
Was the coronet/crown that was placed on her coffin for her duchy? Or was this something that Sweden does for all royals?
I believe it was part of the Swedish Crown Jewels and is the Coronet of Prince Fredrik Adolf of Sweden,I maybe wrong there as there's quite a few coronets!

Old 03-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I believe it was part of the Swedish Crown Jewels and is the Coronet of Prince Fredrik Adolf of Sweden,I maybe wrong there as there's quite a few coronets!
No, it is Princess Eugenie's crown. The crown is made ​​in 1860 in Stockholm by Edward Emanuel after the model of Princess Hedvig Elisabet Charlotta crown from 1778.
H.K.H. Prinsessan Lilians begravningsgudstjänst i Slottskyrkan - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

Old 03-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Maybe the great sadness comes with Lillian being the last of that generation to go; the weight of "moving up a rung" in responsibility is hard to bear.
Princess Lilian may have been the last royal Bernadotte of her generation, but there are still two countesses Bernadotte af Wisborg alive, Marianne and Gunnila, as well as in the extended Bernadotte family both Dagmar von Arbin and count Oscar Bernadotte af Wisborg are still alive.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

I guess Princess Estelle will help her family to cope with the loss. She brings joy and happiness to the Royal Family and give them a huge distraction!
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
No, it is Princess Eugenie's crown. The crown is made ​​in 1860 in Stockholm by Edward Emanuel after the model of Princess Hedvig Elisabet Charlotta crown from 1778.
H.K.H. Prinsessan Lilians begravningsgudstjänst i Slottskyrkan - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]
Thanks for the clarifaction.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

The king and queen at the final farewell
http://media.shootitlive.com/GtAN2Iz...tonbladet/1135

Victoria and Daniel leaving home from the Royal Palace
http://media.shootitlive.com/5msl5kg...tonbladet/1135
Old 03-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Serene Highness

Maybe not the right thread to ask, but do anyone know if Lilian ever met Jeanne de Tramcourt, the long-time companion of prince Wilhelm? By the time she died in 1952 prince Bertil and Lilian had been together for almost ten years, so they might have known each others, at least know about the other.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
No offence absolutely, either to the person, or the tradition.
But somehow I will never approve a Queen Regnant curtseying someone, alive or past.
I noticed the same thing when QM II curtseyed at her father's grave along with her sisters..
It just takes out the majesty or mystique or whatever.
You can always slightly bow, just as QEII did for Diana, but curtseying is too much, just my opinion..
I respect your right to hold a different opinion, but I thought that the very fact that Queen Margrethe is a Queen Regnant, and as such obliged to curtsey to no-one, made this gesture hugely significant. It was a clear indication of her deep affection and respect for Princess Lilian, and moved me to tears. Rather than detracting from her "majesty", I thought it increased it a thousandfold.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:35 PM
Royal Highness

It was a very honorable and beautiful gesture to the late Princess Lilian. I understand the point vkrish said of a Monarch curtseying to someone below in rank. But first and foremost, she wasn't there as a Monarch but as a niece-in-law, such gesture of affection from Queen Margrethe touched my heart and I believe she will miss her aunt-in-law, after all it was a member of her family. Truly, truly beautiful!!! I was without words...
Old 03-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Aristocracy

I didn't know a great deal about Princess Lilian prior to her death. I just remember seeing pictures of this lovely, older, elegant lady on Swedish blogs, boards, etc., and seeing her identified as Princess Lilian of the Swedish Royal Family.

I've had the opportunity this week to read a lot about this lady. I think the love she shared with her Prince was extraordinary, and something that is very rarely, if ever, seen nowadays.

Now she's with him for eternity.

My condolences to the Swedish Royal Family in their loss. I watched the funeral today and it was obvious how much they loved her and were hurting at her departure.

I also took note of Queen Margarethe's display of respect to Princess Lilian in the form of a very deep curtsey at her coffin. As another poster said above, I was also touched and impressed by this display of affection on the Queen's part.

Again, my condolences to the family of Princess Lilian.

Now, she and Prince Bertil are together forever.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post

I respect your right to hold a different opinion, but I thought that the very fact that Queen Margrethe is a Queen Regnant, and as such obliged to curtsey to no-one, made this gesture hugely significant. It was a clear indication of her deep affection and respect for Princess Lilian, and moved me to tears. Rather than detracting from her "majesty", I thought it increased it a thousandfold.
Well said - I couldn't agree with you more.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
Princess Lilian may have been the last royal Bernadotte of her generation, but there are still two countesses Bernadotte af Wisborg alive, Marianne and Gunnila, as well as in the extended Bernadotte family both Dagmar von Arbin and count Oscar Bernadotte af Wisborg are still alive.
thank you for that information. Were they at the funeral?
Old 03-16-2013, 07:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
Countesses Marianne and Gunilla are very much part of the circle of relatives but Lilian was so much more. She was truly part of the family and very close to all of them. Silvia was introduced to Bertil and Lilian in Munchen during the OS when the royal couple met and they have been very close since then.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Yes all of them attended the funeral . It was nice to see that Dagmar Von Arbin despite being 97 years old herself is still strong enough to attend official events. She appears to have the same stamina as her aunt Elsa Cedergren who became 103 years old and is the oldest ever in the Bernadotte family to this date
Old 03-16-2013, 10:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Yes, both Marianne and Gunnila Bernadotte was there, as well as Dagmar von Arbin (b. 1916), her siblings count Oscar Bernadotte af Wisborg (b. 1921), Catharina Nilert (b. 1926) and count Claes Bernadotte af Wisbort (b. 1942), and their cousin count Bertil Bernadotte af Wisborg (b.1935). They are all grandchildren of prince Oscar Bernadotte af Wisborg and his wife Ebba Munck af Fulkila. Prince Oscar was a younger brother of Gustav V, king Carl Gustaf's great-grandfather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Countesses Marianne and Gunilla are very much part of the circle of relatives but Lilian was so much more.
Yes, princess Lilian was closer to the royal family for various reasons, but when it comes to degree of kinship, Marianne and Gunnila are as closely related, as wives/widows of the king's uncles, and if Lilian was seen as a family member of her generation, then her sisters-in-law also belong to that generation, and to say that that generation died out with Lilian is not correct.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Aristocracy

Princess Lilian and Prince Bertil King and Queen of Love

It was a beautiful funeral service. Thank you Royal Forum and SVT for allowing me to be part of the congregation to witness the celebration of another Chapter of Princess Lilian's life.

Hopefully Lilian and Bertil will rise in the resurrection holding hands as Queen and king of Love.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

The cover of Sunday's Expressen
http://www.expressen.se/ImageHandler...c-1978474e696f

The information of the funeral also in english version at the court website
The funeral of H.R.H. Princess Lilian in the Royal Chapel - Sveriges Kungahus

According to Expressen, Sofia wasn't with the family and the closest ones at the cemetery at the burial
http://www.expressen.se/ImageHandler...7-b0f1bfe5f228
Old 03-17-2013, 05:53 AM
Gentry

Thank you for posting video links. I was not able to get on earlier when it was broadcasting live and I appreciate being able to follow up with the video. Blessings on the people of Sweden. Princess Lilian will be missed here in the USA.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Very moving photos from the cemetery
The king and the queen
http://static1.purepeople.com/articl...av-620x0-1.jpg
Victoria and Daniel
http://static1.purepeople.com/articl...ia-620x0-1.jpg
http://static1.purepeople.com/articl...ia-620x0-1.jpg
The whole gallery from Purepeople
Mort de la princesse Lilian de Suède Dernier hommage émouvant de sa famille

Flowers at princess Lilian's grave
IBL Bildbyrå gallery
People visiting the grave today, photos from the Facebook of the Royalistic Association
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3152120&type=1
Old 03-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Royal Highness

According to Expressen, Sofia wasn't with the family and the closest ones at the cemetery at the burial
http://www.expressen.se/ImageHandler...7-b0f1bfe5f228[/QUOTE]

So what does this mean other than the fact that she was not present at the grave site? She was at the funeral itself and looked like she was behind in the family section. She was even on the program as "other".

Was she close with lilian?

Tags
death, funeral, princess lilian