Confirmations: Victoria - 1992, Carl Philip - 1994, Madeleine - 1997

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the laying on of hands by the officiant supposed to represent in the Lutheran church? I know in the Catholic Church you are addressed by the Bishop by your chosen Confirmation saint (with your sponsor standing behind you with their right hand on your right shoulder), and he dips his thumb into the holy oil, lays his hand on your forehead and says, "(your chosen saint's name), I sign you with the sign of the cross (+), and I confirm you with the oil of salvation in the name of the Father (+), and of the Son (+), and of the Holy Spirit (+). (your chosen saint's name), be sealed with the gifts of the Holy Spirit." I also know that in the Lutheran church, you are confirmed with the words of a Bible verse, and you do not take an additional name. The officiant says "(your name), I confirm you with the words of (book, chapter number, verse number)," followed by the text of the verse. I was just wondering what the laying on of hands in the Lutheran church symbolized.

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community

I am Catholic and I was confirmed when I was about 15, but I don't recall anything about a chosen saint's name.

What is the laying on of hands by the officiant supposed to represent in the Lutheran church? I know in the Catholic Church you are addressed by the Bishop by your chosen Confirmation saint (with your sponsor standing behind you with their right hand on your right shoulder), and he dips his thumb into the holy oil, lays his hand on your forehead and says, "(your chosen saint's name), I sign you with the sign of the cross (+), and I confirm you with the oil of salvation in the name of the Father (+), and of the Son (+), and of the Holy Spirit (+). (your chosen saint's name), be sealed with the gifts of the Holy Spirit." I also know that in the Lutheran church, you are confirmed with the words of a Bible verse, and you do not take an additional name. The officiant says "(your name), I confirm you with the words of (book, chapter number, verse number)," followed by the text of the verse. I was just wondering what the laying on of hands in the Lutheran church symbolized.

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community
The laying of hands is a way of invoking the Holy Spirit and signifies, in the Church of Sweden, the moment of confirmation itself. The priest & the confirmation guides (or whatever theyre called) lay their hands on the confirmand and prays for him/her. Once thats over youre confirmed and allowed to receive the Holy Communion.

Back
Top Bottom