Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia, Current Events Part 25: June - July 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
royaltywatcher said:
Has anyone noticed Letizia never crosses her legs? I wonder if this is a Spanish royal rule or practice. Mary crosses her legs all the time, in fact there are pictures of her from yesterday doing so (she has good legs).

The " polite well girls " must not cross the legs if they take skirt, especially in public acts and if they are in the first row. It is in the habit of considering to be more polite and elegant to support the united legs and the straight back.;)

Another photo from face to face

Attachments

• 00978831.jpg
    00978831.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 584
royaltywatcher said:
Has anyone noticed Letizia never crosses her legs? I wonder if this is a Spanish royal rule or practice. Mary crosses her legs all the time, in fact there are pictures of her from yesterday doing so (she has good legs).
It's proper etiquette for a lady to sit with her legs together either in front of her or off to one side rather than crossed. Not to mention that it is bad for you circulation in the legs and bad for your lower back as it throws your spine out of alignment.
At least this is what they taught me in etiquette class and what my chiropractor tells me.

mtbcm said:
In

Don Felipe: "This rice is better than yours"

The day before (my note: before going to Germany), the Princes finalized their visit to the Community of Madrid in Leganés. There, they visited the new center for disabled people, where they were asked for Leonor. "She sends kisses to You all", answered the Princess. The anecdote arrived at the time of taking the rice with milk that students made. After tasting it Prince Felipe said to his wife: "I am sorry, it's better than yours".:)

Then, "honey" YOU can make it next time! ;-)​

Thanks Lula for the answers... Letzia looks gorgeous in that skirt... I have always loved how she had dressed for this act... the time go by so fast I can not believe this is her third award

lula said:
The " polite well girls " must not cross the legs if they take skirt, especially in public acts and if they are in the first row. It is in the habit of considering to be more polite and elegant to support the united legs and the straight back
I'm totaly agree with you. I have noticed that yet and I remember that I maid some posts about the point of the etiquette. It was during the christianing of the danish Crown Princes. I have to confess that it was the Princess Mary who did and I said it was totaly uncorrect....:eek:

I have always though that Letizia has a very good bearing

To day if find the princes very handsome and smiliing but they look a little bite tired and they didn't take their holididays sooner...

Many thanks Lula for this shot
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=250932&d=1150994585

The Letizia look and smile have something very extraordinary and indefinabla. This pic is a total illustration of her special glance.

Last edited by a moderator:
i saw a man in most of princes and kings act.you can see him in the 3rd and 4th pics of diariodenavarra.who is he?

aryo said:
i saw a man in most of princes and kings act.you can see him in the 3rd and 4th pics of diariodenavarra.who is he?

He is Ricardo Díez Hotchleiner the General Secretary of the House of His Majesty the King

lula said:
The " polite well girls " must not cross the legs if they take skirt, especially in public acts and if they are in the first row. It is in the habit of considering to be more polite and elegant to support the united legs and the straight back.;)

Another photo from face to face

Just to add to this...it's not a "royal" rule, it's just standard "lady-like" etiquette. Mary is not the only Crown Princess to cross her legs, Mette Marit does too, for example, but it's really not proper etiquette--or it wasn't considered so in the past. I think Diana was the one who started crossing her legs, but I could be wrong.

In any case, I love Letizia's suit and I adore this photo -- look at her face as he walks back to his chair:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=250932&d=1150994585

And this one:
http://img505.imageshack.us/my.php?image=505pq.jpg

Last edited:
thanks lula.
the princess dress is lovely but her hair isn't good for this act.we saw better hairdo's before.but we compare these 3 years,i like the 1st year dress more than others except that last year i was happy to see her bump in that dress.
anyway i am looking forward for 30th times.
i can't wait to see all of them on saturday hopefully with all children esp. infanta leonor.

Lucys i love this photos too. The suit and the hair is good for me , Letizia looks good in white.

Princess Letizia looks wonderful in almost everything she wears!!!

And you dear Lunalu want do you want to say by " what is he doing with her hand " ?:p

Finding peace by holding her hand with two of his :)

From londonfeatures

Attachments

• 23911323.jpg
    23911323.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 345
  • 23911325.jpg
    23911325.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 287
  • 23911326.jpg
    23911326.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 370
  • 23911328.jpg
    23911328.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 286
  • 23911333.jpg
    23911333.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 285
  • 23911335.jpg
    23911335.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 320
  • 23911337.jpg
    23911337.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 312
  • 23911338.jpg
    23911338.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 324
  • 23911339.jpg
    23911339.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 319
  • 23911340.jpg
    23911340.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 317
royaltywatcher said:

it's a general protocol rule. it's not of goof education to cross legs in public, contrary to what many may think... :rolleyes:

carlota said:
it's a general protocol rule. it's not of goof education to cross legs in public, contrary to what many may think... :rolleyes:
Ridicolous, theres no genereal rule or royal protocol for that in year 2006:) Anyone should sit as they feel comfortable, no matter whether with crossed legs or knees together, just as long as it looks allright. Royals are just normal people, who does what feels normal for them. There is no protocol for every little thing they do. Sometimes when I follow discussions here I take my hands to my head:confused::D It is just like when one blamed the chief of protocol for Letizia skirt blowing up in the wind se here Ridicolous:D

Last edited:
fromEU said:
Ridicolous, theres no genereal rule or royal protocol for that in year 2006:) Anyone should sit as they feel comfortable, no matter whether with crossed legs or knees together, just as long as it looks allright. Royals are just normal people, who does what feels normal for them. There is no protocol for every little thing they do. Sometimes when I follow discussions here I take my hands to my head:confused::D It is just like when one blamed the chief of protocol for Letizia skirt blowing up in the wind se here Ridicolous:D

You are right on only one point: there are not royal or usual protocol for a woman to seat crossing the legs when she wear a skirt.:cool:

BUT, it's not a question of confort but rather than elegancy and distinction to not cross the legs when a woman wear a skirt.

It's not at all elegant to cross the legs when you wear a skirt, all the women kwon that ( because their mother told her and they tell that to their daughter...:p ) The better proof is the Princess of Asturias herself who never cross her legs when she is wearing a skirt, but who can cross her legs when she is wearing pants;

We have to admit that tha way to seat of the Princess is very, very elegant ....protocolar or not, royal or not .....:)

Well, the-chief-protocole thing was pretty much a joke taken too much seriously by some !

As for legs being crossed or not, or the other protocole issues, you actually DO have an "étiquette" of behaving, like it or not, choose to respect it or not :rolleyes:

fromEU said:

There is many confusion on what it is the protocol and that there must do the persons who take charge of it. The protocol is not a series of very strict rules of last centuries , but a few simple rules of education, and a few procedure in order that every person takes place that it corresponds in all kinds of acts. Equally today in day the persons in charge of protocol of must entrust of all the details of the acts that they organize. The protocol not only exists in the royalty, there is protocol in the politics, in the company, in the sport ... a wedding, a funeral, a university act have a protocol

That the ladies should sit down of correct form, with the united legs and the straight back, it is a question of elegance and of education. Besides, of a way of preventing it from meeting what one does not have to see.

Letizia's problem with the skirt, is not a mistake of Letizia's protocol, is a mistake of the manager of protocol of the act. The managers of protocol are the persons entrusted to supervise all the details of the acts in order that these turn out to be perfect. Between the things of those who must be persons in charge, it is to know the local conditions where the act is going to be celebrated, and to be able to advise the persons who are going to come to it in order that they are dressed correctly. If the Princes were going to a place where habitually it is windy because it is near the coast, the manager about protocol of the act had to inform to the Princess and to the rest of the women that should to go.

At least this is what they have taught me in the university on the protocol...

Last edited:
fromEU said:
While i agree with you that it is silly to blame anything but the wind on Letizia's skirt blowing up, on the leg-crossing thing I disagree with your "ridiculous" charicterization. It's not a protocol issue, it's not a royal issue. One of the first things you learn in finishing school, right after standing up straight and saying "please" and "thank you", is not to cross your legs when wearing a skirt. People may choose not to follow that rule, but it is, nevertheless, a basic "good behavior" rule that has NOTHING to do with royality.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other if one princess or another does or does not cross her legs, but the people who have said that it is a basic rule of "finished" behavior in a lady are not being ridiculous, they are being accurate. You may consider it an old-fashioned rule--fine--but it's still the basic rule, just like a curtsey to a monarch is old-fashioned, but still the proper behavior.

I don't believe anyone was being critical of anyone on this--someone asked a question and it was answered accurately--end of story.

SIPA Press via ISIFA

Attachments

• is_12327977t.jpg
    is_12327977t.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 345
  • is_12327976t.jpg
    is_12327976t.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 328
  • is_12327975t.jpg
    is_12327975t.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 322
  • is_12327974t.jpg
    is_12327974t.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 321
  • is_12327973t.jpg
    is_12327973t.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 345
lucys said:
While i agree with you that it is silly to blame anything but the wind on Letizia's skirt blowing up, on the leg-crossing thing I disagree with your "ridiculous" charicterization. It's not a protocol issue, it's not a royal issue. One of the first things you learn in finishing school, right after standing up straight and saying "please" and "thank you", is not to cross your legs when wearing a skirt. People may choose not to follow that rule, but it is, nevertheless, a basic "good behavior" rule that has NOTHING to do with royality.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other if one princess or another does or does not cross her legs, but the people who have said that it is a basic rule of "finished" behavior in a lady are not being ridiculous, they are being accurate. You may consider it an old-fashioned rule--fine--but it's still the basic rule, just like a curtsey to a monarch is old-fashioned, but still the proper behavior.

I don't believe anyone was being critical of anyone on this--someone asked a question and it was answered accurately--end of story.
Mary, Mette Marit, Victoria, Maxima, Alexandra and many many other princesses north of Spain obviosly have no problem with crossing thier legs:D The people of those contries have no problems with it. People here are just old fashioned and prudish and I will bet that whithin the next five years Letizia has crossed her legs several times:D

I adore when they take their hands to walk, so cute!

I do not see because you must say that; each country and monarchy have their customs. If the other princess makes a thing; Letizia does not have because to do this. She is not princess of those countries, so she will continue behaving since she has learned; and I do not see the problem nor the ridicule with it.:confused:

fromEU said:
Mary, Mette Marit, Victoria, Maxima, Alexandra and many many other princesses north of Spain obviosly have no problem with crossing thier legs:D The people of those contries have no problems with it. People here are just old fashioned and prudish and I will bet that whithin the next five years Letizia has crossed her legs several times:D

It is not fair to characterize the people of Spain as old fashioned and prudish. THey have their own values and traditions and and you have to respect that.

You know, looking at these pictures, it struck me... this looks like a wedding ceremony! With the white-ish dress, the bouquet of flowers, the church...
If I hadn't known this was just another official act, I'd swear they were getting married again! :D

The happy newlywed couple...

Just leaving the church...
http://img67.imageshack.us/my.php?image=536wk.jpg

The blushing bride...
http://img71.imageshack.us/my.php?image=552yf.jpg
http://img71.imageshack.us/my.php?image=552yf.jpg

Just finished saying "I do"...
http://s2.supload.com/free/capilla.jpg/view/
http://s2.supload.com/image.php?get=capilla.jpg

The wedding banquet...
http://s2.supload.com/free/3-20060622121706.jpg/view/
http://s2.supload.com/image.php?get=3-20060622121706.jpg

hehe... just kidding of course. ;) This is all in good fun. But do you see what I mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
chuchu said:
It is not fair to characterize the people of Spain as old fashioned and prudish. THey have their own values and traditions and and you have to respect that.
What about people here charactecing the non-spanish(mary, mette marit more) as the total opposite:D Porple especiaslly in this forum here are pretty narrow minded when it comes to different cultuers in Europe. You all think your favorite princess or your princess baby is the most beautiful or perfect on th earth. Just look at the Letizia-Filipe-Lenoer threads. I have never seen more praise of a baby. They are just normal people, nothing more and that is good:)

Letizia looks great. The more I see her on these royal engagements the more natural and happy she looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom