Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik, Current Events 3: August 2010 - January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I don't think QMII can see any faults in her Henri. :)

I see from the pic, that PH wore the regulation sabre, when they went ashore in Helsingør. - I almost added that there are plenty of cables onboard a ship, which can be used as a substitute for a belt, but I didn't. :p

Muhler, surely the Prince Consort's middle speaks to the quality of Danish food and French wine, so that he is a walking advertisement for both that ought to be celebrated, not ridiculed.
:bang: I wonder whether Prince Henrik has spoken out or written about his obvious love of food and wine. Does anyone know whether he has written a cookbook, for example?

Muhler, surely the Prince Consort's middle speaks to the quality of Danish food and French wine, so that he is a walking advertisement for both that ought to be celebrated, not ridiculed.
:bang: I wonder whether Prince Henrik has spoken out or written about his obvious love of food and wine. Does anyone know whether he has written a cookbook, for example?

Ridiculed? Surely you are jesting?

PH has written a number of cookbooks and is eager to experiment and invent new recipies.

- PH is an example of why men always, always will be superiour to women when it comes to cooking.
(Yes, I'm provoking. Will someone take the bait)? :p

Summary of various articles in Billed Bladet #19, 2011. (More will be added).

Prinsen og syngepigen - The Prince and the Singing-Girl.

PH had a funny time at Bakken with Kirsten Piil's Guild. Here they were entertained by the Singing-Girls and as is proper Prince Henrik showed his appreciation by stiking money down their cleavage.

- Bakken used to be an amusement park near Copenhagen for the working class and the entertainment around 1900 was accordingly.
That included the Singing-Girls, who were considered "women of the town" and they sang in a tent, where decent women did not go in!
Dressed in outlandish costumes and in front of a rowdy crowd of more or less drunk men, they sang songs which to put it mildly can best be described as lewd.
Should a man get out of hand, the girls were more than capable of setting him straight with a few well chosen words, which would leave even the most hardened sailor cherry red in the face.

Nowadays the women singing there are professionals and even though some of their songs are full on innuendoes, they are mostly nostalgic.
They still dress somewhat trashy, that's part of the show.

Ridiculed? Surely you are jesting?

PH has written a number of cookbooks and is eager to experiment and invent new recipies.

- PH is an example of why men always, always will be superiour to women when it comes to cooking.
(Yes, I'm provoking. Will someone take the bait)? :p

Absolutely I will take the bait as I love to eat, especially when someone else cooks. Of course men are superior cooks as well as connoisseurs of food. The wise woman is silent and makes sure she is available to eat what is produced. Washing up is of course the usual issue, but that is why God invented the dishwasher.

Absolutely I will take the bait as I love to eat, especially when someone else cooks. Of course men are superior cooks as well as connoisseurs of food. The wise woman is silent and makes sure she is available to eat what is produced. Washing up is of course the usual issue, but that is why God invented the dishwasher.

Alas there few wise women around. :whistling:
For women cooking is a chore and instead of complaining about their husbands never doing any cooking, they should approach the situation differently.
Are you paying attention ladies?

Give you husband a set of high quality knives, for Christmas/birthday.
Men do not use untensils, men are tool users. The knives needs to be tested and if you send him on a cooking course, only for men, he's hooked. Before you know it, you will be banished from the kitchen.
Men don't just cook, we break down the prey and prepare it after the "hunt", something women will never understand. :viking:
Men don't use recipies, we create our own, we improvise, to us cooking is an expedition into the unknown.
And soon we will develope secret ingrediences. :greatidea:

Once your husband is hooked on cooking, he'll need, want more tools. A man can't just use any pot or any pan, no, no. You'll soon learn to realise why one simply cannot use any cutting board and why a cutting board of oak is a necessity. :cool:
Proper tools are not only crucial it's also something we can discuss at length with the other guys. The equivalent of kicking tires.
Apart from that a man will in contrast to a woman, naturally sample the wine/beer/brandy before adding it to the sauce. :wine:
I could go on, but that is basically why women will never ever be the equal of men, when it comes to cooking.

Cleaning a kitchen is not something a man should have to do. We are simply not genetically disposed to doing such things.
We leave that to you women, you are better suited anyway, with your nesting instinct. :brush:

I'm sure Prince Henrik is like I've described above and that's why QMII, being a very wise woman indeed, never go anywhere near a kitchen. :)

Last edited:
Thank you for your insightful guide to the male kitchen! I share your view that Prince Henrik is a devilishly good cook (I wish I could find your treasure trove of smileys!) as his girth indicates a love of good food that has only grown over the years of tasting! Queen Margarete is indeed very wise to stay out of the kitchen, as well as being lucky in her genetics, I think. Her trim size indicates a dedication to staying fit (I remember reading how helpful the many long corridors in her various palaces are with a view to exercise!). I also recall however when visiting Amalienborg the very small size of Queen Ingrid's dresses that were on display. Unfortunately Prince Henrik's genetics are less friendly so he puts on a brave front in carrying his weight throughout his various incarnations. C'est la vie, n'est-ce pas?:bang:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your insightful guide to the male kitchen! I share your view that Prince Henrik is a devilishly good cook (I wish I could find your treasure trove of smileys!) as his girth indicates a love of good food that has only grown over the years of tasting! Queen Margarete is indeed very wise to stay out of the kitchen, as well as being lucky in her genetics, I think. Her trim size indicates a dedication to staying fit (I remember reading how helpful the many long corridors in her various palaces are with a view to exercise!). I also recall however when visiting Amalienborg the very small size of Queen Ingrid's dresses that were on display. Unfortunately Prince Henrik's genetics are less friendly so he puts on a brave front in carrying his weight throughout his various incarnations. C'est la vie, n'est-ce pas?:bang:

I think the problem with Prince Henrik is that he was born about 500 years too late.
Back then portly gentlemen were an ideal. A sign of power and wealth.
Had style magazines for men been around back then, he would have been a centerfold several times. ;)
I think Prince Henrik has realised that he is doomed to lose any battle with his weight, so he has resigned. And why fight it when you can flaunt it?
When you get at a certain age, you might just as well enjoy life, eh? No fun in being slim and looking like this. :yoda:

(As for smileys: You'll find them if you click: [More])

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #19, 2011.
Henrik i Hopla - Henrik in high spirits.
Written by Helle Skram de Friis.

Henrik was on the job last weekend, sort of. It was probably more a cosy outing with a wee glass of wine or three, especially as the weather was great.
There have for many years been a small boat at Esrum Lake which you can rent and go for a spin around the lake. That boat has now been renovated and is ready for use. The inauguration was just the right job for PH.
Esrum lake is located next to Fredensborg, so Henrik swapped with the driver and drove his favourite Buick himself. I see that the adjutant and a PET officer was sitting on the backseat.
Safely arrived at the Skipper House, from where the boat sails, PH quickly cut a ribbon: "I'm delighted to declare the boat fare open".
After a short trip with the admittedly goodlooking boat it was down to business. All gentlemen present treated themselves to a bite and a bit of wine and a chat about important things as elderly gentlemen are in habit of doing.
PH handed out boxes of his own wine to three men who had been in charge of restoring the boat.
Prince Henrik, wine glass in hand, chatted to our reporter: "I don't sail in that so often, but it's really good that it has been restored".
About the wine he said: "Yes, that's my own wine. A bottle of rosé and a bottle of redwine for each. I myself am very fond of a glass of cool rosé, when it's hot".

- Hardly the most interesting event I know, but nevertheless a very good example of Prince Henrik having de facto semi-retired.

Last edited:
Now here is the thing with Prince Henrik that you have quite correctly pointed out. It is often forgotten that wine too is a food and that it contains lots of sugar that can do great damage to ones waistline and to one's health if consumed in large amounts. :news: Presumably the Prince's doctors have warned him about Type 2 diabetes! Thanks for the 'more' tip. This board has suddenly become more fun!:ninja:

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess we can put this here: Fregat navngivet

A new frigate was named by the Prime Minister the other day. And he said: "Her Majesty the Queen has resolved that the ship shall be named Peter Willemoes".

The PM used the correct but now archaic expression "resolved". Majesties do not decide like mere mortals, they "resolve".

QMII is the commander in chief of the armed forces and when a new navy ship is named, it is formally she who approves of both the name and the ship's coat of arms. - I remember hearing in a documentary some time back, that QMII doesn't just rubber stamp any such suggestions put in front of her, at least not in regards to the coat of arms.

As is tradition, all the major combat ships in the Danish navy are named after naval heroes.
Peter Willemoes commanded a floating battery during the Battle of Copenhagen in 1801, distinguishing himself. Even being singled out by Nelson himself.
Willemoes was later killed in action.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics, Iceflower :flowers:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #20, 2011.
Dronningen fejrede sin veninde - The Queen celebrated her (female) friend.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

QMII had wheeled to Næstved in order to attend the premiere at her very good friend Susanne Heering's Dance Institute. It was the 30th anniversary for Susanne Heering and QMII was, to put it mildly, in a great mood!
The school teaches ballet.

The children performed the ballet: A Tivoli Dream, written by QMII. She also designed the costumes and the decorations.
When it was time for the encore both QMII and Susanne Heering went on stage.
QMII, with a flower wreath on her head, grabbed a red pennant and swung it enthusiastically to the cheer of the audience.
After the show QMII and Susanne Heering curtsied to each other simultanously and QMII used both arms when she waved at the onlookers before driving back to Copenhagen. - (She may have learned something from her grandchildren). :p

But, even Queens can be hungry.
Before leaving QMII was seen balancing a kind of French hotdog and a cigarette in her hands while sucking up apple juice through a straw.
- That's neat coordination! And an interesting taste...

Last edited:
Does Caroline Heering also study ballet

QMII, with a flower wreath on her head
She always gets a flower wreath on her head at this event :flowers:

But, even Queens can be hungry.
Before leaving QMII was seen balancing a kind of French hotdog and a cigarette in her hands while sucking up apple juice through a straw.
- That's neat coordination! And an interesting taste...
That´s the normal food at this event :flowers: I was there one year in 1988 (or something) and at that time we got sandwiches and apple juice.

I think the apple juice is served for getting the bloodsugar up in a quick way :flowers:

One of Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik's close friends, Flemming von Lüttichau, has passed away following a long illness. He was 76, and formerly worked at the Royal Court as a Kammerherre (court chamberlin). His widow, Lena, was one of the Queen's ladies-in-waiting.
Billed-Bladet article

And Prince Henrik is adding perfume maker to his resume - in a few months time, his estate shop in Cahors will sell a perfume called 'H', produced by cosmetics company GOSH.
Billed-Bladet article

A note in Billed Bladet #22, informs us that Frederik will accompany his parents on the state visit to Russia from 6-9 September this year.
Mary is not mentioned in the note.

When the official visit is over all three of them will go sightseeing in Russia for a couple of more days.

Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

Prins Henrik: Det er synd for kong Gustaf - Politiken.dk

Well, the problems the Swedish King is facing right now are also news here in DK. And the press tried to get a comment from Prince Henrik in that regards.

Prince Henrik replied: "Jeg synes, det er synd for ham, hvis han har problemer. Men I får ikke noget fra mig, for vi blander os ikke i andre familiers historier = I feel sorry for him if he has problems. But You will not get anything from me, because we don't interfere with the stories of other families".

Later on he commented to the idea that the "scandal" should rub off on the DRF as well: "UF! man ved aldrig med pressen, hvad de kan finde på. Men jeg vil ikke kommentere på deres problemer, vi har nok af problemer i Danmark allerede = Ah! You never know about the press, what they can come up with. But I will not comment on their problems, we have enough problems in Denmark".

- I find it silly and tactless of the press to even ask such questions and it only put the journalists themselves in a bad light.
It's equivalent to asking me whether the possible infidelity of my neighbour could influence my marriage. You would get a pretty direct reply!
I also think QMII would have answered such questions in very short writing indeed!

Yesterday, Prince Henrik presented the awards of the Prince Consort Fund on the Dannebrog.

** BB: Fornem kongelig prisoverrækkelse på Dannebrog ** translation **

I sometimes wonder if journalists really think they'll get answers to some of the stupid questions they ask. Why on earth would any royal ever comment on another royal's scandal?

Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

Prins Henrik: Det er synd for kong Gustaf - Politiken.dk

Well, the problems the Swedish King is facing right now are also news here in DK. And the press tried to get a comment from Prince Henrik in that regards.

The original event has been another one on the Dannebrog yesterday, June 1st.

Prince Henrik was announced 'European of the Year' during a ceremony on board,
Queen Margrethe made a surprise attendance, she wasn't listed on the calendar
prior to the event. Afterwards they met with the press and besides those unnecessary
off-topic interview questions, the following brilliant pictures were taken:

** Foto: Kongeligt højt humør da Prins Henrik blev hædret **

** ppe gallery ** Billed-Bladet gallery **

Last edited:
Prince Henrik was announced 'European of the Year' during a ceremony on board,
** Foto: Kongeligt højt humør da Prins Henrik blev hædret **

Nice pics. :lol:

It was during the speech made by chairman Erik Boel that PH and QMII too cracked up.
Erik Boel listed a number of differencies between Danish and French mentality and read out a passage with a very "French accent" and that made PH tear up with laughter.

Politiken also has an article from the event: Reportage: Endelig blev prins Henrik hædret - Politiken.dk
This passage is telling:
The sky is a delicate light blue with faint white formations of clouds and the sun is shining. For once right down on Prince Henrik.
It's after all not every day he's honored of all things. Mostly he's just scolded for being a snobby Frenchman who has never bothered to learn the Danish language proberly.
But today he'll become "European of the Year", in fact based on "that he has managed/accomplished to become Danish without compromising his French background".
That, being able to contain two nationalities in the one and same person is something that brings out respect and admiration. At least among members of the multi-political movement the Europa-Association, which aims to ensure that Europeanism will anchor/root in Denmark. (*)
But the Europa Association are well aware that not all Danes share that attitude and prefere that the Prince Consort was instead less French and much more Danish.

- The coverage on TV2 last night took a different approach. That was more about how PH is now precieved by ordinary people in general. And how that attitude has changed in recent years. Not least in light of the portrait book which was published a year or two ago and in which we got a pretty intimate picture of PH, for good or for worse.
The conclusion in the TV segment is that he has now been accepted as a slightly excentric member of the tribe and that his peculiarities have become endearing.
The comments from the public, which they showed, were that PH has also become less "stuffy" and more "rounded" (in every way, as it was pointed out) in recent years.
Prince Henrik appreciate the changed attitude, albeit that it's a bit late, as he added.
I'd say there is a good deal of truth in that, for various reasons. Time itself is the ultimate fixer of things, if you get my meaning. PH is also much more relaxed now that he has semi-retired.
But the main thing in my opinion is that PH is now occupying the backseat in earnest. M&F are taking over, some would say have taken over, as such there is more room for tolerance towards PH, now that he is no longer in the forefront.
Having said all that, I know quite a few who are less than fond of PH and that will probably never change.

(*) The Europa Movement work for increased brotherhood and integration among the European countries, as such it's a pro-EU movement and you'll find very few EU-sceptics among its members.

Last edited:
One of Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik's close friends, Flemming von Lüttichau, has passed away following a long illness. He was 76, and formerly worked at the Royal Court as a Kammerherre (court chamberlin). His widow, Lena, was one of the Queen's ladies-in-waiting.
Billed-Bladet article

On May 28, Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik attended the funeral of their friend Flemming von Lüttichau at the Feldballe church.

** Pic 1 ** BB: Regentparret sagde farvel til en god ven ** translation **

Another week has passed and another issue of Billed Bladet is up.

We have a few words from Mary about Vincent and Josephine when she left the Australian embassy recently.

A bit on Frederik in Japan. I'll save that for next week, because BB states they have an interview with him in their next issue.

We have the coverage of the Regent Couple in USA.

We have something interesting in the Q&A section. About the Crown jewels. About why Princess Elizabeth have never been Rigsforstander and a little anecdote about Mary being slapped by her teacher.

We have some belated coverage of Countess Alexandra and her family in Odense Zoo. - Not much new, so I'll skip that one.

We have the latest about the Berleburg wedding.

And this:
Summary of note in Billed Bladet #24, 2011.
Dronningen har fået høreapparat - The Queen has got a hearing aide.
Written by Annelise Weimann.
http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelig...Dronning Margrethe har faaet horeapparat.aspx

Actually she has one on both ears.
The press noticed, during the Regent Couple's visit to USA, some very disreet wirering in QMII's ears and the court confirms: "It's pretty new, but absolutely correct".

I read in another article, that the Association of the Hearing Impared, says that 300.000 use hearing aides and a similar number ought to. On average people wait seven years before they finally pull themselves together and acquire a hearing aide.

- And then there are those whose hearing is selective....:whistling:

ADDED: From BT: http://www.bt.dk/danmark/har-margrethe-mon-vaeret-smaadoev-i-syv-aar

Last edited:
Thank you, Iceflower :flowers:

A very typical arrival. QMII was recieved by the top civil servant of the area and the mayor of Aarhus.
The uniformed colourbeares were all from the Army Home Guard, and one from the police.
The local "skippers" were out as well. It's funny every time Dannebrog is near, elderly gentlemen have a tendency to dress "nautical" and strut around as if they were captains of Dannebrog. :lol: It's actually pretty charming and gives the spectators something to look at.
As always there is a sailor at the foot of the landing armed with a cutlass, - there was also one at the top of the landing. He was armed with a pistol. - It's him with the black belt.
I noticed that the Band of the Royal Lifeguard was playing. This time wearing dress uniforms.
And finally the royals dachshunds. They also provide entertainment, when they put their mark on Aarhus Harbour.
QMII's official residence is now Marselisborg Slot. But the administration of course stays home in the Yellow Mansion next to Amalienborg.

Today, June 22, Queen Margrethe has arrived in Århus with the royal yacht
to take up the official summer residence of Marselisborg castle.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** stiften.dk: Sronningen paa sommerferie i Aarhus **

The local "skippers" were out as well. It's funny every time Dannebrog is near, elderly gentlemen have a tendency to dress "nautical" and strut around as if they were captains of Dannebrog. :lol: It's actually pretty charming and gives the spectators something to look at.

I would love to see that myself :D

Billed-Bladet also has a short article about the Queen's arrival and adds why Prince Henrik wasn't there,
he's in China to do advertising for the Danish industry - quite surprising as it wasn't listed in the official
calendar..

** BB: Dronning Margrethe kom alene til Aarhus ** translation **

** sn.dk gallery: Dronningen flytter i sommerhus **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom