The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 03:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra
lucys, we don´t know that Danes are not complaining about Mary´s "only" being a fashion model. Remember that this is an English language board-many Danes may be griping on a Danish board!
Even if the mags want her on their cover, she can say "no", can´t she?
Well i am a Dane and i se no problem that Mary are a som front pages.
She is doing her work great when she is at work, and i see the front pages as a part of her work, becaus it is one way to tell peapol from other countrys about Denmark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigheadshirmp
Crown Princess Mary: Secret affair with australian footballplayerThe danish Crown Princess Mary finds herself in the middle of an upcoming scandal regarding her past in Sydney. The australian daily "The Australian" tells its readers that Mary has had an affair with an australian footballplayer only weeks before she met Crom Prince Frederick during the Sydney Olympics. from colourpress

As The Australian writes it was BEFOR she meet CrownPrince Frederik so where is the big scandal ????

Old 02-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Courtier

[QUOTE=H.M. Margrethe]
Quote:
Crown Princess Mary: Secret affair with australian footballplayerThe danish Crown Princess Mary finds herself in the middle of an upcoming scandal regarding her past in Sydney. The australian daily "The Australian" tells its readers that Mary has had an affair with an australian footballplayer only weeks before she met Crom Prince Frederick during the Sydney Olympics. from colourpress

As The Australian writes it was BEFOR she meet CrownPrince Frederik so where is the big scandal ????
no idea...but that's what it says on the title...i just copy and paste~?!

Old 02-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Courtier

Geez. Some people will do ANYTHING to get a story. She didn't do anything wrong. There's no scandal because she obviously had a life before meeting CP Frederik.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:14 PM
Nobility

I totally agree with you! Somebody is trying to make a scandal out of nothing! Probably because CP Mary doesn't have any big gosts in her past, and then they try to create some! And find me anybody in their 20s and 30s who doesn't have any ex'es and flings in their past! It's just nonsense!

Old 02-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Heir Apparent

don't you think there have been lots of covers of mary? i mean... i dont think she should. she has been princess for 9 months and she has done 5 or 6 covers and interviews and most of them to non danish press. it's really surprising queen margareth doesnt say anything...
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 02-24-2005, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Mary on Dansk.

From Brainpix, pictures from the inside of the magazine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0001.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	98325   Click image for larger version

Name:	0002.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	98326   Click image for larger version

Name:	0003.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	98327   Click image for larger version

Name:	0004.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	98328  

Old 02-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa
I fail to see the Crown Princess posing for Dansk magazine an key magazine for the Danish style counsel or attending the fashion shows is such a big issue. The Crown Princess is the patron of the CIFF was she not suppose to show up for one of the biggest days of the year for CIFF?
Fine, so Mary posed for DANSK because she was representing Danish fashion - how many Danish-designed outfits did she wear during this photo shoot?

And what was her reason then for posing in Australian VOGUE back in December and for Women's Weekly? Also because she was representing Danish fashion? Interesting how Mary can represent Danish fashion and style when she's wearing non-Danish designers though.

How many photoshoots have Mathilde and Letizia done to represent and promote Belgian and Spanish fashion, respectively? ... None. They've both represented and promoted fashion designers from their own countries by wearing their designs while performing engagements within their countries and abroad. No need for splashy photoshoots or endless puckered-lipped muggings for the camera to do that. Mary should take note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasl
I have to say though - Australians now know about Denmark!! She's everywhere here right now - on the covers of all magazines (well maybe not all). I haven't come across one person who doesn't know about Mary and Denmark.
How many Argentinians now know about the Netherlands because of Maxima? How many photo shoots and interviews did Maxima have to do to achieve that?

How many people from Hong Kong learned more about Denmark because Princess Alexandra was marrying Prince Joachim? How many photo shoots and interviews did Alexandra have to do to achieve that?

Mary being a native Australian marrying into the Danish royal family would've attracted a lot of attention on its own. There's no need for Mary to pose for pictures and give interviews to get Australians to learn about Denmark.

Quote:
And why all these interviews? I would say its all about promoting Denmark (or promoting Mary, take your pick,
I pick promoting Mary. Denmark was doing fine before Mary just as it would've done fine without Mary.

Quote:
(the Danes are big contributors to UNICEF - they'll probably give the money to UNICEF instead)
What does UNICEF have to do with Mary giving interviews or Denmark?

Quote:
And all she needed to do was give a couple of interviews (which probably wouldn't have taken that long... she probably fitted all these interviews in one or two days).
No. Interviews can take several days, weeks, even months depending on the coverage. It is not just the interviewing alone. The writer then has to write the piece and make a cohesive piece out of his or her questions. He or she may need to go back and ask further follow up questions or clarify comments. There is fact checking that follows after a writer submits it to the publication. In pieces such as this, there is sometimes royal court approval required before the piece can be published. So no, all these interviews were likely not conducted in only one or two days.

Quote:
And I think the feeling here in Australia is that its so cool that Fred and Mary are so down to earth and accessible. IMO some of us have had enough of stuffy royal houses and all these antiquated ideas about what a royal should or shouldn't do. Upholding the social hierarchy - that's sooo not what we're all about. We've had enough of royals being off limits, of royals being prim and proper all the time.
The fact is however that Mary and Frederik are not the Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Australia. They are the crown Prince and Crown Princess of Denmark. It doesn't matter how "cool" Australians think of Mary and Frederik as being down to earth and accessible and unprim and unproper. What matters is what the people of Denmark think of their Crown Prince and Crown Princess. What Australians think matters little more to the Danish royal court than what the Spanish or the French think of Mary and Frederik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzen
There is ofcourse a difference between beeing on the cover with pictures taken at their official engagements or papparazzi pictures, that they cant control, but doing three fashion shoots in a few months is over the top IMO. And the argument that she does it as patron for danish design would have been more valid if she had accually worn dansih designs on all the pictures, which she did not do in Vogue (1 danish and several not danish) and Dansk (1 danish and two not dansih) Also on her trips abroad she has been wearing mostly nondanish clothes. She is not a common celbrety that can do as many cover as they please as thay only promote themself, she is the future Queen of Denmark and I find such behaviour only further washes out the difference between royals and celebreties, a line that is already VERY thin at the moment.
Excellent post.

We are not talking about Mary being on magazine covers or in magazine stories of which the pictures are completely comprised of paparazzi shots or of Mary at engagements or even of official photographs. We are talking about magazine covers and stories for which Mary sat down with and talk to a journalist and posed for a photographer.

Mary is definitely blurring the line more and more between being a royal and being a celebrity. She is no more different than Julianne Moore posing for VOGUE or In Style when she is promoting a movie.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:21 PM
Serene Highness

what scandal !! she deserves to have a life , and she didn't do anything wrong , it was before meeting with Crown Prince Frederick ...i just don't get it !!!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 10:37 PM
Royal Highness

I kind of think that those last magazine covers were inappropo. It is more like she is trying to be a model than a princess. I hoep she stops this for a while.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_R
Mary on Dansk.

From Brainpix, pictures from the inside of the magazine
Thanks for the pictures Anna. They are indeed pretty (black and white pictures always are in my opinon) and glamorous shots of Mary. I think it's one too many magazine features for Mary though, no matter what the intentions are.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
From THe Australian

From day one, friends and family were instructed, via email, not to spill the beans on her past. Her brief fling with Sydney Swans footballer Ryan O'Keefe just weeks before she met her future husband was kept under wraps until it was revealed in a gossip column after the wedding. So was her seven-year live-in relationship with Melbourne spin doctor Brent Annells.
No rendezvous with royal ex-girlfriend

February 24, 2005

NOW she's married into Danish royalty, Mary Donaldson's old boyfriends won't be counting on any calls when the princess returns to Australia on a royal tour.

Crown Princess Mary, the Tasmanian-born former Sydney real estate agent, this weekend begins a tour of her homeland with husband Crown Prince Frederik.

Before she met Frederik in Sydney in 2000, the then Mary Donaldson had a brief relationship with Sydney Swans footballer Ryan O'Keefe, who today was playing down any prospect of a reunion.

"No, I'm not planning to catch up for coffee," O'Keefe, 24, said today when asked about his former flame.

"That (relationship) happened a while ago and that's in the past." Crown Princess Mary will add a touch of glamour to a series of social events and black-tie gatherings during her 12 days in Sydney, two in Canberra, a brief visit to Melbourne and two days in Hobart, where she grew up.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...4-1244,00.html

Here is some more information about Ryan from the Sydney Swans website. http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.as...=playerprofile

Old 02-25-2005, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Dennis two-timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennism
I tried to vote for Mary a lot of times for "Most Elegant of the Year" and she didn´t win.
And you didn't cast a single vote for Victoria?

I'm shocked.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve
Fine, so Mary posed for DANSK because she was representing Danish fashion - how many Danish-designed outfits did she wear during this photo shoot?
DANSK is Danish design magazine and as Patron of The CIFF it is a no brainer that she is interviewed by then. The Crown Princess is wearing Heartmade a Danish design team on the cover of the magazine.
Quote:
And what was her reason then for posing in Australian VOGUE back in December and for Women's Weekly? Also because she was representing Danish fashion? Interesting how Mary can represent Danish fashion and style when she's wearing non-Danish designers though.
There were several requests for interviews (Lis. Frederiksen) and two were given to Australian magazines.One two VOGUE in which she wore Georg Jensen (Danish ) and a jacket my Malene Birger (also Danish). Her interview in Women's weekly were all her clothes and jewelry, the vast majority of which were Danish designers, despite the fact that the interview was not about fashion.
Quote:
How many photoshoots have Mathilde and Letizia done to represent and promote Belgian and Spanish fashion, respectively? ... None. They've both represented and promoted fashion designers from their own countries by wearing their designs while performing engagements within their countries and abroad. No need for splashy photoshoots or endless puckered-lipped muggings for the camera to do that. Mary should take note.
Your point is irrelevant for two reasons. One being that members of the Belgian and Spanish royal houses seldomly give interviews let alone photo shoots. Second, none of Mathilde's charities have anything pertaining to Belgian fashion or design, and well Letizia has no charities for her to be compared.

Quote:
How many Argentinians now know about the Netherlands because of Maxima? How many photo shoots and interviews did Maxima have to do to achieve that?.
I suspect quite a few as her life is regularly in various Argentine press.

Quote:
I pick promoting Mary. Denmark was doing fine before Mary just as it would've done fine without Mary.
Not exacly. Infact Denmark is doing even better because of Mary.

" There is no doubt that a certain Mary effect has taken place,’ Jørgen Møllegaard Kristensen, general consul at Denmark´s Consulate in Sidney, said. ‘Denmark has received an enormous and positive attention in the media before and after the wedding, and it has made it much easier to market and sell Danish products.’"
Old 02-26-2005, 01:58 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
And you didn't cast a single vote for Victoria?

I'm shocked.
Two-timing, my butt(that sounds funny if you don´t know the phrase) I would if she were in any polls but I haven´t seen her for awhile now.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:43 AM
Majesty

in the Princess Unplugged article From THe Australian i was wondering why she was called princess and not crown princess
i have seen this on several accuations in the australien media
Old 02-26-2005, 08:42 AM
Nobility

Yes, the Australian media always does this. Sometimes they also call her "Princess Mary Donaldson". Call me pedantic but I find this annoying. They just don't make that distinction of Crown Princess for some reason!
Old 02-26-2005, 09:48 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
How many Argentinians now know about the Netherlands because of Maxima? How many photo shoots and interviews did Maxima have to do to achieve that?
I don't think argentinians know more about The Netherlands because Maxima. They only know that a dutch prince married an argentinian woman. I am married with a dutch man and only some people who meet him tell him about Maxima but they don't know much about The Netherlands. By the other hand, when I am in Holland and people know I am argentinian they can talk a lot about Argentina because Maxima.
So in Mary's case I think that danish got more information about Australia than australians about Denmark

Old 02-26-2005, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieLouise
Yes, the Australian media always does this. Sometimes they also call her "Princess Mary Donaldson". Call me pedantic but I find this annoying. They just don't make that distinction of Crown Princess for some reason!
I guess it reflects on the quality of the journalism and the lack of research by journalists/reporters.

It just shows again that in certain areas the members of TRF have a greater knowledge of the facts than the newspaper writers.

And its not just Crown Princess Mary; even today in one of our newspapers a Charles and Camilla wedding report referred to "HRH the Queen", when it is screamingly obvious to everyone (!) that the title is 'HM'.

When journalists get such basic facts wrong, you have to wonder about the accuracy of the stories they write.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Royal Highness

I didn't realize Mary has done so many magazine photo shoots. This is quite out of the ordinary isn't it? She is a lovely lady but it is coming across to me that she is more about glamour than anything.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
I guess it reflects on the quality of the journalism and the lack of research by journalists/reporters.

It just shows again that in certain areas the members of TRF have a greater knowledge of the facts than the newspaper writers.

And its not just Crown Princess Mary; even today in one of our newspapers a Charles and Camilla wedding report referred to "HRH the Queen", when it is screamingly obvious to everyone (!) that the title is 'HM'.

When journalists get such basic facts wrong, you have to wonder about the accuracy of the stories they write..
I couldn't agree more! A lot of "journalism" of today is really under all standards... I think there's a lot of buying articles from other magazines/newspapers in other countries (then just translating them) or from news agencies of the world - and when they do write articles of their own, I often find both the actual text quite lousy and sometimes the background cheks are under all critique...

That thing with 'HRH' Queen Elizabeth has occured numerous times, especially at Getty!

And one more thing, this time on the actual subject of this thread & discussion :) - time for Crown Princess Mary to start doing the royal groundwork, not just being the glamgirl on the cover so much all the time (even though the pics are always nice of course...).