Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 5: May - December 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She is the Crown Princess and can wear anything that pleases her husband and her mother in law; the bride should be deeply honored Mary showed up.

Mary's outfit is unusual but I noticed Frederik wearing what one person on this thread called a "sweater vest" so perhaps he likes to see her in a Cardigan? It goes without saying that she'd be reckless and insubordinate to wear something he disapproved of.

PreDoc said:
She is the Crown Princess and can wear anything that pleases her husband and her mother in law; the bride should be deeply honored Mary showed up.

Some may strongly disagree with you.

Is it really an honor to have a "Princess" show up to your wedding? Or is it an honor to have your close friend be there to witness your special day? Let's try and be practical here. To me it would be the latter.

Frankly, in my view, it doesn't matter anymore. The wedding is over and done with; there is not much she can do.

The discussion will, however, continue.

:)

It doesn't matter what Mary wore..she can't win. If she wore a burlap sack..then she is being disrespectful to the bride; black/brown...people would have said she is in mourning...red/hot pink or anything like that..she is trying to stand out...beige it would have been its too bland of a colour. Maybe she shouldn't attend other people's weddings...then people would say that she thinks she is too good or arrogrant to attend anyone else's wedding and start speculating about the state of her marriage.

Let's face it....its the brides day...and really the only people interested in mary and frederick attending this wedding besides the press are the people on this board and those who follow the couple. I doubt the bride was thinking about what mary was wearing.

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion..but really...its wonder anyone would want to be famous or marry into the royal family...so many people seem to know what they are thinking. I feel for Prince Christian's future bride.

Last edited:
As I'm scrolling down while I read and look at the pictures my thoughts are the same as the ones posted here. I agree 100 %.
Mary needs a helping hand in wardrobe every now and then just like Frederick. The color and lenght of the dress on this wedding borders in an open challenge to upstage the bride. I don't like the top of the dress, like dinner plates stuck with velcro. And the cardigan is horrible, is that the same one she used in Australia when she was at the hospital reading to kids?

Alisa said:
...and a nice formal shawl instead of that cardigan...
That is a great choice.
The mix and mismatch seems to follow Mary lately, remember the baptism outfit: the summer skirt and the hat caused quite a stir here. Mary needs to get a wardrobe consultant as part of her staff

Last edited:
Zonk1189 said:
It doesn't matter what Mary wore..she can't win. If she wore a burlap sack..then she is being disrespectful to the bride; black/brown...people would have said she is in mourning...red/hot pink or anything like that..she is trying to stand out...beige it would have been its too bland of a colour. Maybe she shouldn't attend other people's weddings...then people would say that she thinks she is too good or arrogrant to attend anyone else's wedding and start speculating about the state of her marriage.

Let's face it....its the brides day...and really the only people interested in mary and frederick attending this wedding besides the press are the people on this board and those who follow the couple. I doubt the bride was thinking about what mary was wearing.

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion..but really...its wonder anyone would want to be famous or marry into the royal family...so many people seem to know what they are thinking. I feel for Prince Christian's future bride.

Well said! I agree with you. I like her elegance and grace. She looked lovely and just love her hair being style up like that. I am looking forward to see her in the next event. She is doing well and her fashion advisor is doing a great job . I find her interesting and never boring with her mix and match.
icon14.gif

Last edited:
I do like Mary too but that does not make me blind :rolleyes:. She needs to stop mixing up wardrobe things and getting out there with them. Brings up memories of Dianne Keaton in the movie Annie Hall

It is all in the mind and not necessary blind. Everyone has different taste and that is why the different fashion designers are there to cater to everyone needs and fancies. One man's meat may be another one's poison. There is no right and wrong in fashion. :)

Last edited:
I don't know, there is something about that dinner plate dress that just looks weird on a dress. :p

Toledo said:
I do like Mary too but that does not make me blind :rolleyes:. She needs to stop mixing up wardrobe things and getting out there with them. Brings up memories of Dianne Keaton in the movie Annie Hall

I admit that was funny but you have to be fair ... she is under a tremendous amount of pressure as Crown Princess. Hopefully if she produces a "spare" and continues to perform as she has been for the past few years she will become Queen (when Her Majesty departs us) so you should be very reverent.

PreDoc said:
I admit that was funny but you have to be fair ... she is under a tremendous amount of pressure as Crown Princess. Hopefully if she produces a "spare" and continues to perform as she has been for the past few years she will become Queen (when Her Majesty departs us) so you should be very reverent.
Are you being facetious?! with that remark about reverence. Agreed every person deserves respect and Mary's title is indeed in a league of its own, deserving respect of its own. And yes, Mary really seems to be doing her best to be a worthy Crown princess.
But--we're not in the middle ages any more, thank goodness, and, as any good king would know, THEY're the ones serving the people, just like the other way around. It's a two way street. Don't believe me? Two words: Russian Revolution.

On topic: I guess I'm the only one who, upon looking at the picture of Mary with that cardigan at the wedding, got visions of Sharon Stone's Oscar moment, the one when she wore a Vera Wang skirt with a Gap t-shirt? And it looked ok?

I thought Mary was trying to pull a 'Sharon Stone' there. And, but perhaps I really lack taste, who's to say, but I kindof liked the cardigan with the dress. Thought it looked different. And that white skirt: color wouldn't have been my pick for a wedding, but then again, it looked ok.

Oh and I loved the bride's attire too. Any more pictures of that by any chance? :)

I love her hairstyle very much...very elegant & very understated.

I thik HRH looked just great!

As for wearing white to a wedding, I see no problem with it.

"MII"

seto said:
I have noticed that in europe at a lot of weddings, other women wear white . I don't think it is a problem there where as here in america it is made a big deal of. At one of the members of westlifes wedding the grooms mother wore white. I think maybe it is because you really cant up stage the bride she is the star of the day no matter what anyone else wears.:)

I'm going to my first Church wedding soon and the one thing I have been told is that it's disrespectful to the bride to wear white. I think when it comes to weddings people are still quite traditional, regardless of where they live.

Mary looked very nice at the olsen wedding,but I personally think that the white flowing skirt was not a good idea----just my opinion!

For as many people who believe it "disrespectful" to wear white to a wedding, just as many would say they dont think it in-appropriate. At the end of the day, it truley depends on the indavidual(s).

"MII"

It seems that the only the bride wears white rule isn't such a big deal in europe. In pictures I've seen people other than the bride tend to wear white. I saw pictures of one of the members of westlifes wedding the grooms mother wore white. I am wondering is there a big inference to who wears white at weddings? I know in america it is a big deal, but to be truthful no one can steal the brides day she is the star of the show. :)

She should had worn a different outfit if the weather is still cold, then risk to spoil the beautiful dress.

seto said:
I have noticed that in europe at a lot of weddings, other women wear white . I don't think it is a problem there where as here in america it is made a big deal of. At one of the members of westlifes wedding the grooms mother wore white. I think maybe it is because you really cant up stage the bride she is the star of the day no matter what anyone else wears.:)

Didn't Camilla Cornwall wore her own wedding dress to her daughter's wedding lately? I thought she looked good in that white dress.

Jo of Palatine said:
Didn't Camilla Cornwall wore her own wedding dress to her daughter's wedding lately? I thought she looked good in that white dress.

I am most certain the Duchess wore a white dress to her daughter's wedding. The coat was, however, a very very light grey...I think (?)

In comparison, its no different to the Crown Princess wearing a white gown with multi coloured top half.

"MII"

Margrethe II said:
I am most certain the Duchess wore a white dress to her daughter's wedding. The coat was, however, a very very light grey...I think (?)

In comparison, its no different to the Crown Princess wearing a white gown with multi coloured top half.

"MII"

In my opinion wearing white at a summer wedding is totally okay as long as it is not a bridal dress and the white is at least accentuated by another colour. So Marys dress was absolutely ok with me as was Camillas outfit.

seto said:
It seems that the only the bride wears white rule isn't such a big deal in europe. In pictures I've seen people other than the bride tend to wear white. I saw pictures of one of the members of westlifes wedding the grooms mother wore white. I am wondering is there a big inference to who wears white at weddings? I know in america it is a big deal, but to be truthful no one can steal the brides day she is the star of the show. :)

Europe's a big place, where exactly are you refering to? I'm attending my first White Wedding soon and have been instructed to wear anything other than white. It's not a difficult thing to do when there are so many other colours to choose from.

Margrethe II said:
"MII"

Camilla's outfit at her daughter's recent wedding was pale mint green, no white, although being so pale it does look like white in some pictures. Her outfit at her son's wedding also photographed as white but it was a very pale blue. (ice blue)

Personally I'm a traditionalist, and therefore to wear any white to a wedding is bad form. White is for the bride not the guests.

Little_star said:
Europe's a big place, where exactly are you refering to? I'm attending my first White Wedding soon and have been instructed to wear anything other than white. It's not a difficult thing to do when there are so many other colours to choose from.

Can't remember exactly but didn't the queen wear white at Charles' and Camilla's wedding? I seem to recall a discussion about that...

Found a picture: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/197220-post22.html

And one page before that there are pictures of guests at the wedding of C&C and one guest at least wears a white skirt with a black&white top. It's not a long dress because of the occassion but it's the same combination that Mary chose. Seems de rigueur then.

Last edited:
The Queen's outfit was more cream and yellow. And it wasn't a white wedding so I don't think it mattered that much.

If the "guests shouldn't wear white to a wedding" rule is strictly applied to this wedding, then someone should shoot the ushers, who (shock, horror) wore white shirts!

I'm kidding of course...

Whatever - I don't care that Mary wore white. She wore a funky black top to go with the skirt, and there's no mistaking her for the bride (because as we all know, she wore a pink cardigan which doesn't even match her white skirt).

Mary's a funky dresser... truly. And love how she mix and matches. Some people are so boring because they wear the same outfit from head to toe, and even have the same hairstyle to go with the outfit sometimes! *Yawn*...

Like most people here though, I don't think the cardigan goes with the top. Not sure why she chose it - maybe she thought it was a neutral colour, or matches her skin tone (and would therefore not stand out), and she would have been right if she wasn't wearing a strong coloured top underneath. Unforunately, she was.

Love the belt though. Very chic.

I noticed some of the other guests were in evening gowns, whilst some, like Mary, wore more casual looking gowns (relatively speaking).

Jasl said:
If the "guests shouldn't wear white to a wedding" rule is strictly applied to this wedding, then someone should shoot the ushers, who (shock, horror) wore white shirts!

Very good point! She wore a white skirt....not a total white outfit from head to toe. I think that makes the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jasl said:

I'm kidding of course...

If you want to take that viewpoint then the male guests should be criticised as well for wearing a white shirt. But that would just be silly.

The way I understood it, white is a colour reserved for the bride only.

As for the outfit, I prefered it when she wore it in Japan, the drab weather made it seem very out of place.

Princess Grace wore white to Charles and Diana's wedding and that was apparently not well recieved but all traditions and conventions seem to be bleeding into each other ie black is now it would appear to be OK to wear to weddings, I really donot like that sort of thing but that is only my little take on things. I do not like white on anyone but the bride but Mary can do whatever she wants in her position I guess it was a private affair also.

bertie5252003 said:
Princess Grace wore white to Charles and Diana's wedding and that was apparently not well recieved but all traditions and conventions seem to be bleeding into each other ie black is now it would appear to be OK to wear to weddings, I really donot like that sort of thing but that is only my little take on things. I do not like white on anyone but the bride but Mary can do whatever she wants in her position I guess it was a private affair also.
hahaha No, in her position she can do much less than ordinary people can. Just look at this thread or the whole forum if you want:)

fromEU said:
hahaha No, in her position she can do much less than ordinary people can. Just look at this thread or the whole forum if you want:)
Many people would differ with you on that opinion, because she holds a far superior position to anyone in her realm, which gives her priviliges and rights that commoners simply do not have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom