Royal Rings - all types

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Julia said:
Marie-Chantal's cabochon sapphire and diamond engagment ring...
I like sapphire and diamonds togethor, but this ring is not attractive. (off topic random thought as I'm looking at this ring: Can you say yes to a proposal if you're not excited about the ring?)

Last edited by a moderator:
liquorice said:
Duchess Sophie of Bavaria same with anne princess's. isn't it?

Duchess Sophie of Bavaria has a very similar engagement ring to the one Princess Anne was given at the time of her engagement to her first husband, Mark Phillips. For her second engagement to Tim Laurence she was given a very similar ring but it has a cabochon sapphire instead of a cut sapphire.

This may not be the right site to ask this question but....
what's the difference between a cabochon saphire instead of a cut sapphire?

Someone mentioned on one of the earlier pages, and I agree, that it seems to be a very "European" thing to give coloured gems on engagement rings. In Canada, you rarely see anything but diamond rings...if you want to be really, really different, you'd give an engagement ring set w/ another stone - but in Europe (or is it just amongst royalty?), it seems par for the course to give a ring w/ another stone.[/quote]

I think rather than a European or American tradition it's a matter of what is now considered contemporary or not. My own engagement ring is an oval cut ruby surrounded by ten diamonds (a little like Sarah Ferguson's) and I am always receiving comments about how old fashioned my ring is. I think it's lovely though and fairly unique for today.

Eliza said:
This may not be the right site to ask this question but....
what's the difference between a cabochon saphire instead of a cut sapphire?
cabochon: a gem polished but not faceted. In other words, no glitter and sparkle. :sad:

princess haya's engagement ring

from mgaproduction

Last edited:
Man, she was marrying the ruler od Dubai, you'd think she would have gotten a bigger rock than that.:ermm: Oh well, if she's happy with it that's all that matters,

Heirloom Engagement Ring Belonged to the Queen Mother

The official news of Britain's Prince Charles' engagement came on February 10, 2005, ending years of speculation about whether or not he and Camilla Parker Bowles would ever wed. Camilla's engagement ring is said to be a platinum and diamond Art Deco era ring once owned by the Queen Mother. The heirloom ring appears to have an emerald cut center diamond with three diamond baguettes on each side of it.
All about HRH the Duchess of Cornwall's engagement ring: http://jewelry.about.com/od/engagementrings/a/camilla_ring.htm

It seems to me that Alex's engagement ring is a larger stone, than the Crown princess's,

I like Mary's ring. It's lovely combination od diamond and ruby (?)
But I don't know which ring is the most beautiful. ;)

Royal Engagement Rings

Everyone knows, for example, what the late Princess Diana's engagement ring looked like, but I've never seen a close up picture of HM The Queen's. I'd also like to see others like The Princess Royal's (1st & 2nd). Does anyone out there have any pics of these and other royal ladies' bejewelled ring fingers?

Yellow and white diamonds, I can see, and I'm guessing the metal is platinum- It's not yellow gold, and I can't imagine they'd use white gold. (which is a lower quality and cheaper replacement for platinum, usually)

I love Maxima's engagement ring, it looks amazing on her finger, not the most traditional one, but one of a kind, just like her

One person asked a few pages back if there is such a thing as a wedding band. Yes, it is also a name for the wedding ring. In the US it is common for a woman to wear both the engagement ring and wedding band. Some only wear one.

A traditional engagement ring is usually considered a round single diamond stone ring.

Looks little similar to her earrings and necklace, I think.

A new thread to discuss Royal engagement, wedding, dress and other rings.

The previous Royal Engagement and Wedding ring thread can be found HERE

° °

Last edited:
Originally posted by qui mal y pense, today:

At the recent sale of Princess Margaret's things, I noticed that among the jewels for sale were some spectacular rings. Notably, a ruby and diamond ring that had belonged to Queen Mary. Looking at most of the royal portraits you don't often see royals wearing interesting and important rings other than their wedding/ engagement rings. I am looking for photos of rings that would be important in royal collections or are just more than ordinary.

Do many of the men, (and women) still wear signet rings? I know that a hundred or more years ago, they were very common among British nobility, but I wondered if the current royal men (and women) wear them too?

Prince Charles has one with the Prince of Wales feathers, which he wears most of the time.

What are the Prince of Wales feathers? And can you please post a photo of the ring? Because I'm not familiar with it (it's not normally Charles's ring I'm checking out- it's his wives' rings I'm more familiar with)

I think most royals still wear signet rings. Or, what I've noticed is that alot of royals, especially the British royals, wear rings on their pinkies. Not so much the younger royals, at leat not yet.

There's a photo of Prince Charles's ring here.

You can see a copy of the ring, in better detail, here.

The Prince of Wales feathers is the heraldic badge used by Princes of Wales. If you look at Prince Charles's website you can see it at the top of the page.

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/

The Wikipedia page about it is here.

Charles had one made for Diana too, and I think Camilla has one as well. Andrew and Edward also have signet rings though I'm not sure what's on them and I remember that Andrew had one made for Sara as well.

Thanks Elspeth for the quick response! Is his ring also made of the Welsh gold like his wedding bands?

And what did he do with his wedding band from his marriage to Princess Diana?

Does QEII ever wear rings other than her wedding ring and engagement ring?

Back
Top Bottom