Royal Rings - all types

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To those inquiring about Queen Sonja's engagement ring... Actually, I believe that the engagement ring that Mette-Marit wears is one that has passed down in the family. Crown Princess Märtha was the first to wear it, then Harald gave it to Sonja, and now Haakon has given it to Mette-Marit.

Anyone's free to correct me if I'm wrong, though.

I have an old book about different royals, and in that it says that Harald and Sonja went into a jewelrystore and picked out the cheapest rings they could find. His kosted 63 kr. and her ring kosted 61 kr. In his she wrote "your Sonja", in her ring he wrote "your Harald"...

That might have been rings they bought before they were officially engaged... because I just found the link where I read the previous news: http://tux1.aftenposten.no/nyheter/iriks/d177664.htm (The Press Conference following Haakon and Mette-Marit's engagement)

I'll try to see if I can find a picture from the press conference that was held when Harald and Sonja became engaged.

Someone can explain me why Infanta Elena and Queen Sophia doesn't wear the engagement rings? Why the kings os spain and the dukes of lugo wear the wedding ring in the little figger?

rchainho said:
Why the kings os spain and the dukes of lugo wear the wedding ring in the little figger?
Are you sure? It could be on their right ring finger. For some reason that I don' know, some Catholics wear their wedding rings on the right finger. As the the Queen and the Infanta's engagement rings, engagement rings aren't as important as the wedding ring. It could have just been a, sort of place-holder for the wedding ring.

Crown Princess Sarah of Brunei

Attachments

• Sarah.jpg
    Sarah.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 2,116
Queen Saleha of Brunei

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 2,782
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,129
  • 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,206
Elsa M. said:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67342

Gosh! What is that? An engagement ring or a wealthy display?
The women of the Brueian royal family, especially the Queen, wear spectacular jewels not just on special occasions, but on their official duties. Its not so much about display I think, because everyone already knows how incredibly wealthy they are, its more like tradition. That just seems to be the way they do things.

I like princess sarah's ring.... but the queen's ring seems too big for her finger. Thanks for the picts

Last edited:
Moonlightrhapsody said:
Are you sure? It could be on their right ring finger. For some reason that I don' know, some Catholics wear their wedding rings on the right finger. As the the Queen and the Infanta's engagement rings, engagement rings aren't as important as the wedding ring. It could have just been a, sort of place-holder for the wedding ring.
No in the little fingr they have the marriage ring and the royal family ring. Just that!

The engagement ring of Camilla Parker-Bowles, soon to be HRH The Duchess of Cornwall, the ring is an emerald cut diamond of a few carats:

Attachments

• Camilla ring.jpg
    Camilla ring.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 835
  • Camilla ring2.jpg
    Camilla ring2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,545
  • Camilla ring3.jpg
    Camilla ring3.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,148
  • Camilla ring4.jpg
    Camilla ring4.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,239
  • Camilla ring5.jpg
    Camilla ring5.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,376
Last edited:
News reports are saying that Camilla's ring is a family heirloom. Does anybody recognise it as belonging to one of the previous generation of royal ladies?

I have no idea. :confused:

Anyway, Charles doesn't seem to have done too much effort; I prefer a new ring made from family stones and with a personal touch, like the Queen's engagement ring. :)

Camilla Parker-Bowles's ring is appararently a family heirloom - so it might not just be something the press is saying. Apparently the ring last belonged to Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. Here is a picture of her wearing it, from Getty:

Attachments

• QM ring.jpg
    QM ring.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,324
The Queen Mum might be rolling in her grave to have Camilla wear something she valued so much. It's been frequently said that the Queen Mum was an adamant and staunch opposer of Charle's relationship with Camilla.

Moonlightrhapsody said:
The Queen Mum might be rolling in her grave to have Camilla wear something she valued so much. It's been frequently said that the Queen Mum was an adamant and staunch opposer of Charle's relationship with Camilla.

I agree. I'm shocked he'd give her the ring of the Grandmother he supposedly adored.

Someone mentioned on one of the earlier pages, and I agree, that it seems to be a very "European" thing to give coloured gems on engagement rings. In Canada, you rarely see anything but diamond rings...if you want to be really, really different, you'd give an engagement ring set w/ another stone - but in Europe (or is it just amongst royalty?), it seems par for the course to give a ring w/ another stone.

hmm i find the ring gaudy. would have preferred it reset, the center stone is ok, but having emerald cuts as side stones as well makes the ring outdated... it wouldve been nice if the ring was victorian or edwardian... or a simple solitaire with maybe crescent diamond sidestones...

Princess Sparkles said:
I agree. I'm shocked he'd give her the ring of the Grandmother he supposedly adored.

Someone mentioned on one of the earlier pages, and I agree, that it seems to be a very "European" thing to give coloured gems on engagement rings. In Canada, you rarely see anything but diamond rings...if you want to be really, really different, you'd give an engagement ring set w/ another stone - but in Europe (or is it just amongst royalty?), it seems par for the course to give a ring w/ another stone.

In the USA it also seems to be popular to have just a diamond ring, often a solitaire of some sort. In the UK at any rate, all sorts of stones are popular. You can find coloured stones in the USA, but diamond-only ones do seem to be the most common.

Here is a big close up of Mathilde's engagement ring.

Attachments

• asianwowmen-dop1a.jpg
    asianwowmen-dop1a.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 4,317
Princess Noor Hamzah's Wedding ring

Attachments

• post-16-1116331436.jpg
    post-16-1116331436.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,553
Queen Alia of Jordan

Attachments

• pict_md_dnBdYHFnYWU1OjsyPSthYXZjY2VxKDliemNoNGZza21FDhAVEANVUVFbFxgdFB8BR1JG.jpg
    pict_md_dnBdYHFnYWU1OjsyPSthYXZjY2VxKDliemNoNGZza21FDhAVEANVUVFbFxgdFB8BR1JG.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,337
  • pict_md_dnBdYHFnYWU1OjsyOithYXZjY2VxKDliemNoNGZza21FDhAVEANVUVFbFxgdFBgBR1JG.jpg
    pict_md_dnBdYHFnYWU1OjsyOithYXZjY2VxKDliemNoNGZza21FDhAVEANVUVFbFxgdFBgBR1JG.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 653
  • pict_md_dnBdYHFnYWU1OjsyOSthYXZjY2VxKDliemNoNGZza21FDhAVEANVUVFbFxgdFBsBR1JG.jpg
    pict_md_dnBdYHFnYWU1OjsyOSthYXZjY2VxKDliemNoNGZza21FDhAVEANVUVFbFxgdFBsBR1JG.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,245
Princess Rym Ali of Jordan

Attachments

• post-8-1109542852.jpg
    post-8-1109542852.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 653
  • post-8-1109542868.jpg
    post-8-1109542868.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 938
  • post-8-1109542881.jpg
    post-8-1109542881.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 833
Farah Daghistani

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 1,864
Elsa M. said:
Thank you very much indeed, Mandy! :)

Cristina's engagement ring seems very simlilar to Letizia's!
Probably because it was Inaki who went with Felipe to purchase Letizia's ring in Barcelona. Maybe it was his suggestion?

I like the shape of the stones in Camilla's ring, but the diamonds look almost black. I don't know if it's because of the setting or something else.

planetcher said:
Probably because it was Inaki who went with Felipe to purchase Letizia's ring in Barcelona. Maybe it was his suggestion?

What i know, who bought letizia's ring was inaki in barcelona, alone.

Back
Top Bottom